It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm a felon, I've served my time...can I have my rights back please?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

Im more interested in the gun rights issue. Not solely for the whole gun rights argument weve been engaged in recently but mainly because its limiting my day to day routine and interactions i can have with my family.

That was probably one of the more convincing opposition replys at least to me so far.

Perhaps you should think of this as an "opportunity."

Thats always possible, and most likely probable because what else could it be at this point?

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Reply to post by AngryCymraeg

I believe you should have your rights back... Although I'm sure you can understand the hesitation about a felon owning a weapon. After a certain amount of time, with no other problems with the law, sure, you should be able to own a weapon again. However, having your name dragged through the mud at every turn because you are a felon, is plain wrong. You have done your time, and you have paid and its time for people to look past that now. Hang in there. Just my opinion on the matter.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by onequestion

Dude i spit on a cop got three years. got parole in one, tell me about it..

I am the poster child of violence.

Btw it's not considered assault it's considerd"harrasment of a public servent" and it's a 3rd degree felony carrys 2 - 10
edit on 17-2-2013 by TechniXcality because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 06:42 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 06:44 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 06:47 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 06:49 PM
link   
I wonder if it would be possible to implement something like a credit report for criminals. From the time you leave jail or pay your punishment this record starts..Stay trouble free and crime free for 2-3 years, 5 years whatever term makes sense then the crime is gone from your report.

Obviously their are details in there but I am all in favor of people having a chance once they have paid their time.

Where I have no sympathy is a repeat offender.
I saw someone on TV complaining they lost their license for good because they had 3 DUIs on their record. In my opinion a person like that should lose the right to drive forever.
Everyone makes a mistake once but multiple times really don't warrant multiple chances.
edit on 17-2-2013 by opethPA because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by opethPA
I wonder if it would be possible to implement something like a credit report for criminals. From the time you leave jail or pay your punishment this record starts..Stay trouble free and crime free for 2-3 years, 5 years whatever term makes sense then the crime is gone from your report.

Obviously their are details in there but I am all in favor of people having a chance once they have paid their time.

Where I have no sympathy is a repeat. k
I saw someone on TV complaining they lost their license for good because they had 3 DUIs on their record. In my opinion a person like that should lose the right to drive forever.
Everyone makes a mistake once but multiple times really don't warrant multiple chances.

I don't think OP was referring to repeat offense. And I do agree with you.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 06:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Creep Thumper

yea i probably shouldnt have done it, you know i had just got out of the army experinced a bunch of # i didnt agree with was drinking heavily at the time and didnt have any respect for the boys in blue. I made a mistake but should i have my rights stripped from me for life for fear that i may spit again. Get real if i had spit on a regular joe it would have been a misdomeaner. I wasnt a great person then i had my reasons or justicfications. Ive realized since you cant change the system from the outside. But thanks for your blatant condesending ignorant post.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by opethPA

yea they have those, it's called a rap sheet.
every time your arrested it posted on there.
every time your report for prohibition or parole it's on there.

and you can bet every dime you owe or paid the judaical system is accounted for.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by TechniXcality

I call behavior as I see it. You earned your punishment and whatever you lost.

Decent people don't spit on others no matter who they are.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Creep Thumper

I call behavior as I see it. You earned your punishment and whatever you lost.

Decent people don't spit on others no matter who they are.

yea im sure you've never fallen in with the indecent crowd. The difference of criminal and non criminal is who has gotten caught and who has not.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Yes, I don't understand either why our nation would not give a violent convicted felon the legal right to carry a handgun... I'm stumped.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by loam
reply to post by AnonyWarp

Say what you will.... I get that sentencing and punishment are all hosed up in this country. But forgive me if I remain unimpressed by someone who was convicted of a violent crime and only three years later whines about the consequences.

I have never violently attacked anyone in my life. I think this OP is a poor advocate for sentencing reform.

Well, how nice it must be to feel justified in a sense of smug moral superiority.

Let me ask you-- have you ever defended yourself from a violent attack?

Because in some places, and/or with a little bad luck, that could land you a record for a violent felony.

And if you haven't ever had to defend yourself from violence, then you have little idea of what that feels like, and your opinion becomes more and more irrelevant.....

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 07:22 PM
link   
There needs to be a path to redemption with responsibility. That's what the point of background checks, right? To see if the individual is trustworthy and responsible?

What do you think of this...

After ten years free of criminal activity (no felonies, no misderminors, no traffic infractions) and psychological evaluation, the person would be eligible for re-citizenship. The individual would go through the same process as immigrants to gain all constitutional rights, and thier record is cleared from past activity. If a person is willing to go through this process, it would be proof they are a full member of society. It would be a one shot deal. Break the law before the ten years and after (being classified as a re-citizen) then they're done, rights gone forever.

Thoughts?

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 07:26 PM
link   

It's hard to behave yourself, yes, but you do it because it's the right thing to do.

Anyone can give in to their baser instincts. I choose not to. It isn't easy.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 07:33 PM
link   

I was convicted of an assault charge
please keep in mind that I am a pretty good person

Hey, I am a 100% believer in having the right to start all over again, but can you see the contradiction in your two statements? If you physically and violently assaulted someone this proves you have an utter disregard for the welfare and safety of others. How do you suddenly fix your brain so that you are no longer aggressive? What would happen if you were blasted with a string of biting insults? What would happen if someone cheated you out of money?

Personally, for your statement of being a good person to be valid I would think that you wouldn't want a gun.

Just my opinion.

I still wish you the best, though.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Creep Thumper

You deflected my question. You've never once partaken in criminality that could put you in jail? you walk the line of perfection staying vigilant always of your lesser desires. Yea ok we dont live in gotham city, this is the real world and reality isnt painted in black and white. I made a mistake fine i paid for it, but regardless, crying about it online dose me no good all i was doing was sharing in a little misery. I hope for the sake of your mental stability that you dont ever fall but i can say this as quick to judge as you are theres a deeper character defect. You wont convince me that you are in a position to tell me my crime deserve's the punishment.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 07:41 PM
link   

I was younger

Huh? In another reply you stated that you were 25. When it comes to knowing right from wrong, this age is not young. You deliberately hit someone with your car and blame it on alcohol.

Sorry, when it comes to my government representing me, my family, my friends, and all of society, there is no way I'd want the government to let you have a gun, or a car, or even booze.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 07:47 PM
link   

I know it hurts but there it is. I've behaved myself. It's something you have to commit to for life.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join