It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm a felon, I've served my time...can I have my rights back please?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

I don't disagree with that at all. In another reply on here I commented on how I don't think prison terms are fit punishment for crimes of passion. They are, however, the best thing which we, as a population, at present have to utilize. If a more scientific, and humane, way is possible, then by all means, let's get started on spreading it around. The prison system is a stain on society as a whole, but until a better alternative arises, it is what we have to work with.

~ Wandering Scribe

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by AnonyWarp

Say what you will.... I get that sentencing and punishment are all hosed up in this country. But forgive me if I remain unimpressed by someone who was convicted of a violent crime and only three years later whines about the consequences.

I have never violently attacked anyone in my life. I think this OP is a poor advocate for sentencing reform.

edit on 17-2-2013 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 04:49 PM
link   
They call it a law for a reason you were full well aware it would end you in hot water, but you did it anyway. You dug your grave now lie down please.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by onequestion

I've always thought that rome did a better job of handling criminals.Cruel and harsh,yes.But at least you got to live your life normal after you got out of prison.Your papers were stamped 'PAID IN FULL" and you were released to go on and live your life without your criminal past following you.With our system you never get out from under it fully.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Dimithae

Romans were lucky to not have the advent of the internet. It probably simplified many aspects of life without mass communication this being one of them.

It seems we have a society dedicated to vengeance rather then acceptance and enlightenment. People want revenge. Such as the romans i guess we mine as well start the games up and have criminals kill each other for the law abiding citizens entertainment.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 05:00 PM
link   
There's also such a thing as forgiveness. We all make mistakes and anybody here who thinks they don't is deluded. Where do you draw the line on what is a crime that's worthy of a life sentence of penalties? Parking tickets? Mass murders? Who gets to decide?

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 05:01 PM
link   

No. You are what is known as an example of what not to do.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by onequestion
reply to post by Dimithae

Romans were lucky to not have the advent of the internet. It probably simplified many aspects of life without mass communication this being one of them.

It seems we have a society dedicated to vengeance rather then acceptance and enlightenment. People want revenge. Such as the romans i guess we mine as well start the games up and have criminals kill each other for the law abiding citizens entertainment.

I don't want revenge. I want peace and quiet and civility. People like the OP upset people like me. Without people like the OP, prisons and jails would be unnecessary. We could spend the money on something else, like the elderly.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 05:21 PM
link   

I agree that getting ones self into a fight should not null and void your rights for the rest of your life. Seeing your title of Bully smash under your avatar, suddenly a reason for fighting for the right side of a situation becomes more revealed.

There are times when violence is not the problem and can be the only logical alternative. I have been involved in situations where I had to use violence and technically in a court of law I struck first. I personally do not feel that I should let an attacker strike me first before I defend myself, as that one blow can nullify my ability to defend myself if it lands.

Technically in a court of law beating someone to the punch is considered assault and a crime by the definition of escalation of force. However, the argument can be made that I was defending myself regardless of who's blow landed first. It is simply a matter of perspective. I was not brought up to let someone hurt me, does that make me a criminal who should have no rights, or a proactive law abiding person with a defensive mindset?

Perspective is everything, and I am sure if one of the people here who said you should lose your rights should have their lifetime examined in minute detail they may find themselves on the wrong side of that line at some point or other and they simply did not get prosecuted by TPTB and found guilty, yet guilty we all are nonetheless.

Should we ALL have our rights taken away? Is there anyone of us pious enough to have truly been on the right side of the law their entire lives? I think after a few years of having a good track record the matter should be taken up for consideration again and reinstated if one stays out of bad situations one deserves to be recognized for that same as they were recognized for the opposite. A lifetime stain is unwarranted for a LOT of supposedly violent crimes...

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Coopdog

I agree that getting ones self into a fight should not null and void your rights for the rest of your life. Seeing your title of Bully smash under your avatar, suddenly a reason for fighting for the right side of a situation becomes more revealed.

Your probably the first person in this thread to make such an observation. I really appreciate that and your right. However we both know that that view is subject to perspective if you know what i mean.

Perspective is everything, and I am sure if one of the people here who said you should lose your rights should have their lifetime examined in minute detail they may find themselves on the wrong side of that line at some point or other and they simply did not get prosecuted by TPTB and found guilty, yet guilty we all are nonetheless.

How dare someone admit fault. Just kidding. Once again i agree with everything you said and well written as well. I think your right about the fact that if we picked through peoples life with a fine tooth comb we would find more then enough reason to categorize them as a criminal or under some sort of physiological terminology giving us authority over them in some way.

Kind of makes me think of a near death experience, one where you become the perspective of everyone you have unknowingly or knowingly wronged and experience what they did kind of a self portrait so to say.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Stop playing the victim. It's disgusting.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 05:47 PM
link   
OP, a Governor's Pardon would reintroduce your gun rights....

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Creep Thumper

Obviously you haven't read through the entire thread. There has been a lot of discussion going and most of it has remained fairly objective of my circumstance, which was the point.
edit on 17-2-2013 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Signals
OP, a Governor's Pardon would reintroduce your gun rights....

Yes, let's pardon every felon who whines about losing their rights. He's a felon for a reason. He made a bad decision. He cost the people a lot of time and money. There's a reason he lost rights. It's a package deal.

He should be thankful he has his freedom instead of moping around here complaining that he can't own a gun. There's a reason he can't own a gun. He can't control his temper.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 05:56 PM
link   

I think you should be allowed to vote. I also think you should write the governor of your state and ask to have the record expunged. You must keep your nose clean.

I bet if you knew the full extent of what penalties apply to convicted felons, you would not have been so quick to assault another person.

We all have done, do, and will do, stupid stuff all of our lives. Hope you are able to keep your act together from here on out.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 06:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Creep Thumper

Who are you to judge?

Some people deserve a good beat-down.

(referring to the OP's victim of course)

edit on 17-2-2013 by Signals because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 06:10 PM
link   

In any case, words sometimes lead into fights. Fights sometimes lead into someone losing.
reply to post by boncho

Fair enough.

I was interested in finding out more about his situation when I asked the question.

If he had been convicted for beating a woman or child this thread may have taken a different turn.

If the person that was assaulted had permanent injuries or PTSD because of the incident my question would be relevant.

That is why I asked.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 06:15 PM
link   
reply to post by dusty1

What would have happened if you had a gun?

Well lets start by saying that if i had a gun, i wouldnt be carrying it around with me. I just wouldnt because i wouldnt want a gun with me because of what it is, a powerful weapon.

To your point though i see where your going. I cant say for certain at that point in my life and in that situation honestly. I am fairly i would never use a gun unless a gun we necessary. I only hit the guy once so i was already showing restraint. Im trained to throw punches in combinations. Dont get me wrong though i know what your saying.

I dont want a gun to carry, i dont want a gun for self defense even, i want a gun so i can go hunting with my brother during hunting season. Self defense at my house would just be gravy, something that i knew i had.

Just an example of the type of person i am..

I work almost 50 hours a week, i train 5-6 days a week. The rest of the time im on ATS.
edit on 17-2-2013 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Im angry because of the fact that i cant go hunting with my family. Im also angry because of the way i get treat during a routine traffic stop.

Unless your huntin' birds, get a bow. (I have shot a grouse though)

I rifle hunted for years before I got into bow hunting for a several years (Deer, I'd like to get an elk with a bow)

There's just something about hunting with family and friends that brings you closer together.

It's all about making memories.

You just have to be creative brother............

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 06:23 PM
link   
When you start throwing a deadly weapon around, in this case your fists, you're playing Russian Roulette. Sometimes you squeak by; sometimes you don't. As far as wanting your "rights" back, let's enumerate what you have lost: 1. owning a gun, 2. Voting. Is there anything else? (Serious question. I read the whole thread and I still am not sure what all you have lost.)

But beyond your "rights" you have a record, and it seems to me THAT is a whole lot worse. You don't have to own a gun and everyone here thinks voting sucks anyway, But when you apply for a job and they ask, "Have you ever been X?" that ls what truly limits you. And that has nothing at all to do with your rights. It's just that no one wants to hire you and you'll never get a job that requires a security clearance. If you think you have the right for people not to know, I'm sorry. I disagree. We have the right to know and you've shown your character.

Perhaps you should think of this as an "opportunity." You have limited yourself, and that's no one's fault but your own, but maybe you can pursue something you CAN do, such as open your own business, where these limitations aren't such a big deal. Sure seome things are limited to you, but many things are not at all. Concentrate on that. It might be a blessing in disguise.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join