It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm a felon, I've served my time...can I have my rights back please?

page: 34
<< 31  32  33    35 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by NoJoker13

Im not asking you to examine my case and determine weather or not i deserve a firearm.

Who do you think you are to make that determination, what are your qualifications and skills?

Why wont you address anything else in this thread?

How about this, i want your qualifications, i want to know what school you went to and what year you graduate, i also want your professional resume that way i know that you have the necessary experience to handle my case.
Lets level the playing field...

Oh and whats your major? (malfunction)
edit on 21-2-2013 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

edit on 21-2-2013 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 03:49 PM
link   
The details of my case are non of your damn business i already fought my case and plead guilty.

I ALREADY PLEAD GUILTY. I already commit the crime, i also already served out my sentence and followed through with all of my court orders.

You think your more well equiped then a judge and DA to determine if im guilty of the crime i commit already?

I already did that dude. Your nobody. You dont deserve to know the details of my case. The only thing you need to know is that im guilty of a crime and you dont even need to know that to discuss the topic at hand.

Your infinite refusal to discuss any other related topics in this thread and address anyone else on anyother issue or any of the subject matter present tells me one thing.

Your a troll.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 03:52 PM
link   
If you think i owe you something then please leave the thread because i dont owe you anything period.

If you want to engage in a civial discussion thats not an attack or demand for information about me and whats happened in my case then feel free to talk about some of the subject matter at hand.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by onequestion
reply to post by kthxbai

First off let me start by apologizing for the way i respond to your first post.

I may have been lacking some oxygen in my brain from an intense training session. (if youll allow me to make an excuse here).

And, ok i can deal with that. Im exhausted and falling asleep so thats pretty much all i have to offer right now.

I can accept that. You seem to be in a much better frame of mind which is the key in accomplishing what you set out to do.

There were several suggestions offered that may benefit you. Going through the court system to get the records expunged or applying for a hearing to get your position reconsidered.

If/when you do so, keep a good frame of mind in order to get the best results.

With that being said, the possibility of success isn't very high. You were convicted and plead guilty of a felony and those aren't often swept away. Maybe you would never do anything of the sort ever again, maybe you would, we just don't know that, only you know that.

It would be the job of the judge who hears your appeal to decide and they seldom decide in favor of restoring rights to felons.

Think about it from the other side of the fence. If it were someone else instead of you and you had spent your entire life out of jail, following the rules, doing what you are expected to do, would you be eager to allow someone who had committed a violent crime to have the same rights under the law that you have? Most of us aren't. Regardless of whether you like or dislike someone, if they are a felon, it will always be in the back of your mind. You know they committed a violent act at one time and that speaks of their nature. Due to the past action, you are much more likely to be violent than someone who has never had any type of experience like that.

I'm not saying you're a horrible person who doesn't deserve anything, I'm just saying that as a felon, your credibility is lowered in respect to the laws that we follow. It isn't likely that those rights that were forfeited will ever be returned to you due to the past action.

ETA: I feel obligated to say, after reading the replies after the one I'm addressing here that you returned to the behaviors with the other member. You become defensive very quickly. Although he was speaking in a manner you may feel is harsh, he wasn't attacking you personally, he was addressing the behaviors being displayed here in the thread. That creates opinions based on your own actions and quickly turns people against whatever outcomes you may favor.

When you are this defensive on an internet message board, it makes us wonder how much more defensive and even physical you may become in the "real world". You quickly go from one extreme to another and that speaks volumes about your disposition and character. Not only does it hinder your own request for the return of your rights, it hinders requests of others. When we see one person who is a felon act in that manner, we transfer that opinion to others who are felons. It builds a stereotype. Stereotypes always have some element of truth in them along with the exaggeration. You are hurting yourself as well as others with the extreme changes in attitude and behaviors that are displayed here.

If you were to behave the same way in court that you have here, it isn't likely at all that the judge would listen to anything you have to say and would uphold the retention of those rights because you would be seen as a risk.

This isn't a personal attack, just a commentary of what I see unfolding in the thread. You ask in the title and opening post "can I have my rights back", but the behaviors seen here influence us to say "no, you can't, because..." and list those behaviors.

edit on 21-2-2013 by kthxbai because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 06:46 AM
link   

There were several suggestions offered that may benefit you. Going through the court system to get the records expunged or applying for a hearing to get your position reconsidered.
reply to post by kthxbai

Oh yeah i agree. Believe it or not im going to try one one of them and im starting the process today. What ill do is post a response of some information i found out while digging around based on some suggestions.

With that being said, the possibility of success isn't very high. You were convicted and plead guilty of a felony and those aren't often swept away. Maybe you would never do anything of the sort ever again, maybe you would, we just don't know that, only you know that.

In short, yeah that sucks.

Think about it from the other side of the fence. If it were someone else instead of you and you had spent your entire life out of jail, following the rules, doing what you are expected to do, would you be eager to allow someone who had committed a violent crime to have the same rights under the law that you have?

I believe in second chances and i believe everyone makes mistakes.

Something i learned while in jail was this. If you take ANYONE and you put them in the right circumstance, they are likely to act violent.

Im not sure if your aware but violence is thrust down your throat and into your life while your incarcerated. Most non violent people leave the system violent. Just an interesting observation. You can probably ask anyone whos been inside.

I feel obligated to say, after reading the replies after the one I'm addressing here that you returned to the behaviors with the other member. You become defensive very quickly. Although he was speaking in a manner you may feel is harsh, he wasn't attacking you personally, he was addressing the behaviors being displayed here in the thread. That creates opinions based on your own actions and quickly turns people against whatever outcomes you may favor.

I did answer very defensively. I know i did. You can imagine the sensitive nature of the case. As a matter of fact i didnt asnwer to anyone defensively until the last few pages of the thread where i felt the need to actually stand up for myself and make it clear the point of what im trying to say here.

Im not asking this joker guy to examine my case and tell me what i deserve.

Im asking for an opportunity here.

There are other violent felons on ATS, there are probably millions of people in this country with assault convictions and there are millions of felons in general. What im saying is is, why cant we have the importunity.

If what hes saying by asking me for information on my case is that we may deserve our rights back based on a case by case basis, then why cant he say that? Why is it that i have to divulge the details of my case on a public forum for all to see and put myself on MORE on the line then i already have for the purpose of this discussion?

When you are this defensive on an internet message board, it makes us wonder how much more defensive and even physical you may become in the "real world".

I dont really see a problem with being defensive, what you may mean is that the nature of my defense is to strong?

Sometimes the nature of the discussion requires holding my ground and taking on a stronger position.

If you were to behave the same way in court that you have here, it isn't likely at all that the judge would listen to anything you have to say and would uphold the retention of those rights because you would be seen as a risk.

Trust me when i say i know how to behave in court. I made 27 court appearances on this case alone. Not mention completing probation everything else.

I appreciate your well thought out post. As you can see we can have a perfectly civil discussion.
edit on 22-2-2013 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 06:53 AM
link   
Here is something i found out.....

I found a program called the California New Leaf Program.

Source...

If you've been convicted of a crime you may be eligible for relief through a relatively simple legal process. Some convictions can be modified on your record so that when you apply for most jobs, you can legally indicate that you were not convicted of that crime. Other convictions may be reduced from felony to misdemeanor status in certain situations. Also, Orange County residents who have completed a term in prison may be eligible for a Certificate of Rehabilitation.

Apparently your felony must be considered a wobbler... which luckily mine is and i didnt serve prison time i served county time which is considerably different.

245(a)(1) ADW other than firearm or assault w/force likely to produce GBI on person

Source...

Im going to call the PD office when they open TODAY.

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by loam

No, I wasn't selling arms abroad or anything like that. It was a one-time deal. A friend of mine had these weapons and asked me if I could sell them. Unfortunately, I sold them to a NARC and I was busted. All I had to do to get out of all of it was hand over my friend but I just couldn't do that. The S.O.B. never even thanked me. But it was my fault for even considering something so stupid. At the time, I was drinking heavily and smoking mass amounts of weed, which clouded my judgement at the time.

As far as violent attacks go, if they are viscious, or sadistic in nature, then I don't think that person should be able to own or possess a gun.

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Fylgje

As far as violent attacks go, if they are viscious, or sadistic in nature, then I don't think that person should be able to own or possess a gun.

Can you expound on what you mean by that comment? Just for the purpose of understanding....

What is sadistic? Like planned out? Heat of the moment?

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 11:28 AM
link   
In most states the law is very specific, and usually a person once exits probation and parole can get most of their rights back after 5 more years.

federal law prohibits the possession of firearms for all convicted felons and soon crazy people. each state has the right to protect its citizens from federal mandates.

violent felony is the key ingredient to never getting any return of your rights, but even then it still does not mean there will never be a possibility.

Restoration of Rights

Civil Disabilities and

Restoration of Rights

MISSOURI

I. RIGHTS TO VOTE, HOLD STATE OFFICE, AND SERVE ON A STATE JURY;
SELECTED OCCUPATIONAL DISABILITIES

A. LOSS OF RIGHTS

A person convicted of any crime may not vote while confined under a sentence of
imprisonment or while on parole or probation, Mo. Rev. Stat. 88 1 15.133(2), 561.026(1), and
if convicted of an offense connected with the exercise of the right of suffrage is forever
disqualified from voting. Mo. Rev. Stat. 8 561.026(2). The disqualification from voting has
been held to extend to federal offenses. && ex rel. Barren v. u,35 1 Mo. 1237, 175
S.W.2d 787 (1944); Brum v. Murdock, 406 S.W.2d 294 (Mo. App. 1966). A person
convicted of a felony under Missouri law or convicted under the law of another jurisdiction of
a crime that would be a felony if committed in Missouri forfeits any office he may then hold,
and is ineligible to hold office until completion of his sentence or probation. Mo. Rev. Stat.
5 561.021(1)(1), (2); however, persons convicted of an offense connected with the exercise of
the right of suffrage are forever disqualified from holding any elected or appointive public
office. Mo. Rev. Stat. 9 561.021 (3). A convicted felon is ineligible for the office of sheriff.
Mo. Rev. Stat. 8 57.010. A felony conviction permanently disqualifies a person from jury
service. Mo. Rev. Stat. 5 561.026(3).

A state agency may not deny a license to a felon solely on the basis of his conviction,
although a felony conviction may be considered as a factor in the decision-making process.
Mo. Rev. Stat. $ 314.200. For example, the State Board of Education may refuse to issue, or
may revoke, a teacher's certificate upon conviction of a felony. Mo. Rev. Stat. 9 168.071(2).
Missouri has a registration requirement for felony sex offenders, which expressly applies to
federal convictions. Mo. Rev. Stat. 59 566.600 - 566.625. A person convicted of a felony or
crime of moral turpitude may not serve as a superintendent or member of the patrol or radio
personnel of the state highway patrol. Mo. Rev. Stat. 5 43.060.

B . RESTORATION OF RIGHTS/REMOVAL OF DISABILITIES
The right to vote is automatically restored upon final discharge from sentence,
including probation or parole (unless the crime was connected to the exercise of the right of
suffrage). Mo. Rev. Stat. 5 115.133(2). The right to hold office is restored upon completion
of sentence (unless the crime was connected to the exercise of the right of suffrage). Mo.
Rev. Stat. 5 561.02 1 (2), (3). Felons are permanently disqualified from jury service, unless
pardoned. Mo. Rev. Stat. 5 561.026(3).

The pardon power is vested in the Governor, except in cases of treason or
impeachment. Mo. Const. art. IV, $ 7. Persons convicted under federal law or the law of
, another state are ineligible for a gubernatorial pardon.

11. LOSS AND RESTORATION OF STATE FIREARMS PRIVILEGES1
A person convicted of any "dangerous felony, "* an attempt to commit a dangerous felony, or of a crime under the laws of any state or of the United States which, if committed in Missouri, would be a dangerous felony, may not possess a concealable firearm3 for five years after conviction or release from confinement for such a conviction, whichever is later. Mo. Rev. Stat. 8 571,070.1. A person who has been convicted of a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding one year under the laws of any state or of the United States (other than a crime punishable by imprisonment of two years or less, classified as a misdemeanor, and not involving an explosive weapon, firearm, silencer, or gas gun) may not obtain a permit to acquire a concealable firearm. Mo. Rev. Stat. 8 571.090.1(2). Without such a permit, it is illegal to purchase, lease, borrow, exchange, or receive a concealable firearm. Mo. Rev. Stat. 8 571.080.1(1).

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 11:32 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 11:35 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 11:40 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by DZAG Wright

Thats simply not true. It all depends on the type of job, and there are MANY companies out there that hire felons for the gov't kickbacks.

It is a hindrance, but there are plenty of places that will hire a felon.

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by captaintyinknots

I will say that the only 2 jobs ive found in 5 years are the 2 jobs that didnt do background checks. I found the companies and worked my way in through A LOT of effort with staffing agencies. Ive been hired by home depot(glad that didnt work out) but after the background check they couldnt hire me. Ive found other jobs that turned me down as well even with my navy experience working in IT related fields.

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by onequestion

I will say that the only 2 jobs ive found in 5 years are the 2 jobs that didnt do background checks. I found the companies and worked my way in through A LOT of effort with staffing agencies. Ive been hired by home depot(glad that didnt work out) but after the background check they couldnt hire me. Ive found other jobs that turned me down as well even with my navy experience working in IT related fields.

I do know that it is limiting when you are stamped with a felony. But there are jobs. Thats my only point. They may not be great jobs, but there are jobs for felons.

But, again, Ive already stated how I feel on the matter, so not a lot of need to restate it.

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 01:09 PM
link   

I do know that it is limiting when you are stamped with a felony. But there are jobs. Thats my only point. They may not be great jobs, but there are jobs for felons.

Oh without a doubt. Its not impossible and i have a really good job right now as a matter of fact. Its just very hard and can be discouraging especially for the majority of felons who dont have a support structure. I put serious effort into changing my life and rehabilitating.

There is another social aspect to this issue that i didnt want to include on this thread. Most people who commit crimes tend to be in socially restrictive environments in which they are prone to this type of behavior. Although not an excuse but a reality. This reminds me of the tests of the cultures of blood where they put them in different enviornments and watched how they grew. Ill see if i can find a link. Like i said, not an excuse but a reality.

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Yes, felons can obtain permission to own hunt and shoot black powder firearms by filing a petition with the county district court.as a federal felon I simply looked up the laws in the state of Virginia and filed a petition to own a black powder firearm,and represented myself,the Judge granted my request,and sent me a court order a week later,which I was to keep in my posession when hunting or target shooting. It is very important to be specific in what you ask for,primative weapons classifications include firearms over 100 years old which include some very modern cartrdges,and rifles,such as old Mausers enfields, Winchester ,etc which contain the the powder. bullet,and primer in black powder configerations,such as a late 1800 colt 45cal pistol,or a Henry 44 cal rifle. however,based on my petition ,I only included black powder components.My, petition would have been deniied if i included primative weapons.after, i presented my case,several lawers in court thanked me for setting a precedent in the state.I also included bow and arrows

Source...

Can anyone verify this informaton for me? The public defenders office and county sheriff cant or wont.

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by onequestion

Was your conviction a state or federal felony?

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by onequestion

Nah, I mean like hurting someone for pleasure--seeking out situations where you CAN "assault" someone just because it feels good to you, and in that case you would have many, many prior assault charges. If I read it correctly, you said it was a fight where you punched someone, and that alcohol was involved. If it was a sucker-punch, then that would be viscious. If it was just a drunken brawl, no harm, no foul. Most of us have been in those.

Another thing is if after the person was knocked-out on the ground, if you went forth and continued assaulting them after that. That's also considered 'viscious'. I'm not judging you, BTW. We all make mistakes. I've made mine and paid dearly for it, and feel the system should allow people to get their rights back so long as that person is not a violent animal.

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by captaintyinknots
reply to post by DZAG Wright

Thats simply not true. It all depends on the type of job, and there are MANY companies out there that hire felons for the gov't kickbacks.

It is a hindrance, but there are plenty of places that will hire a felon.

No...this IS TRUE. There are FEW companies that will hire felons (and even misdemeanors) especially in this day. It used to not be a problem, I could simply direct felons to construction trades and warehouse work or at the least fast food and housekeeping.

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, you can't get a job cleaning hotel rooms anymore with a criminal record!!! Even the tough manual labor positions are telling convicts "no".

Of course it isn't against the law for companies to hire convicted felons, that's illegal now, and it usually isn't even against formal company policy. However as someone who call various employers trying to find work for my customers I can say companies are quick to inform me there's no need sending anyone with ANY type of criminal record!

A lot of companies have gone to using staffing agencies and staffing agencies have a zero tolerance for convictions.

And as I've said it has trickled down to MISDEMEANORS! Everyday I see people turned down for positions due to 10 year old MISDEMEANORS!!!!!!

And we wonder why so many people are on government assistance? It's the only way they can SURVIVE.

All that "shoulda, coulda, woulda" you can save that B.S. because those are all past tense. We live in the present.

I tell my more thuggish customers they should start putting the tool to some of these business owners heads and robbing them if they can't get work, because that's DEFINATELY what I would do if I were in their position.

top topics

<< 31  32  33    35 >>

join