It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm a felon, I've served my time...can I have my rights back please?

page: 31
<< 28  29  30    32  33  34 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by onequestion

You can call someone else stupid? Your the bright one who lost their rights due to your immaturity and stupidity.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Voting, to me, should not be restricted. I believe that is unconstitutional.

As for some sort of program to retain your right, I would certainly be open to that. Im not sure what that program would be, but if it could be shown that there is something out there that works, I would be completely open to it.

I also think that after 10-12 years, if a person has not committed another crime, the records should be sealed.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by LoverBoy

You can call someone else stupid? Your the bright one who lost their rights due to your immaturity and stupidity.

Do you have anything constructive to add?

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 04:17 PM
link   

I know your not mature enough to know self control therefore you have been barred from owning guns thankfully.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Absolutely, its called man up, that should get you started.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by captaintyinknots

As for some sort of program to retain your right, I would certainly be open to that. Im not sure what that program would be, but if it could be shown that there is something out there that works, I would be completely open to it.

I also think that after 10-12 years, if a person has not committed another crime, the records should be sealed.

Ok, thats not so bad then at least we have something to talk about. I can find a middle ground with you and we can work to some sort of conclusion.

Also, at this point in my life 10-12 years wouldnt even be that bad, im halfway there anyway.
edit on 20-2-2013 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by NoJoker13

Originally posted by NoJoker13
This is a Troll thread, started by a self proclaimed 'violent felon'. You can usually define a piece by the first sentence in this case that holds true.

I hadn't thought of that as a possibility, but can now see why you think as much.

Point worth consideration.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by onequestion

Ok, thats not so bad then at least we have something to talk about. I can find a middle ground with you and we can work to some sort of conclusion.

Ive seen what having a record can do to some people, and it isnt right. To me, the goal should ALWAYS be rehabilitation, but that just isnt the case when you brand a person for life based on a single event. A quick story:

I have a friend who got lonely one night, and answered a craigslist ad looking for some 'company' in exchange for something the t&c prohibits me from mentioning. He had just had a pretty intense breakup, and made the poor choice to meet up. Turns out the ad was placed by cops.

They arrested him for 'delivery for consideration' and nailed him with a felony. 4 years later, he still struggles with it. Its isnt right, at all.

A person cannot fully reintegrate into society if they are automatically separated from society by a label.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

How is this a troll thread? Explain yourself?

You mean standing up for myself from rediculous attacks from 2 members who have no intentions other then to prove that i am some kind of animal because i wont fully reveal everything about myself on an internet forum?

It seems to me that there are only 2 trolls on this thread right now and you might be the third.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

A person cannot fully reintegrate into society if they are automatically separated from society by a label.

You make a good point and thats a big part of the trouble with rehabilitation. This is probably one of the biggest issues that needs to be adressed.

Listen to this thought i had reading your reply. If someone loses everything aren't they more inclined to do something they wouldnt normally do? Wouldnt it be smart to give people something to live for rather then take everything they have away from them? But this obviously isnt something that applys to everyone and every case, some people need everything taken away from them and ive met one or two of those.

That sucks, i dont even understand how thats legal. I dont doubt it at all though after what ive seen.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 04:28 PM
link   

The best part about that story is that the two arresting officers that posted the ad are no longer employed by the department. One is a transit cop and the other is off the force completely.

My friend just happened to be in a bad place that night, and got caught before they got shut down. Apparently they mad dozens of arrests on this before someone put a stop to it, and public defenders were just rolling over for it. I told my friend multiple times to get a better lawyer, but he couldnt afford it.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Yeah thats a major problem.

The person that i got locked up with got off with a misdemeanor and 3 years informal probation because his family got him a lawyer.

The PD then basically gave me up for the DA so he could give the good deal to my co-defendant, who had a lawyer.

How the system works these days.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Btw, thanks for your honesty and helping me get back on topic. I really think this is a good political conversation that needs to be engaged.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 04:38 PM
link   

I joined in June of 2007. I finished my 5 year commitment last year. One of the most common places for ex-legionnaires is in the private military world. Knowing French helps as most of sub-Sahara Africa speaks French at least a little. Work varies from guarding a container ship in the Straits of Malacca to PSDs in Iraq, Afghanistan, or site security for mines in west Africa. Since I'm not deployed for a good slice of the year, I sought a teaching job at a local high-school. We'll see how this semester goes. I may end up keeping this mix.

There are some great resources online, and there is a forum full of them. www.cervens.net... . I don't particularly like posting on internet forums for a myriad of reasons, I don't even use Facebook or twitter, but I could certainly relate to your story. I married my American wife my 3rd year in. Despite being a legionnaire you still get time off. I think I actually posted here during one of my leaves, I have a pretty old account. I would say its about as difficult to keep a relationship as a submariner. Her citizenship helped with re-immigrating back to the states. I used to work in Big Pharma and had a dark cloud over my head. I knew I was going to be put on a dead-end track because of the charges. Finding work elsewhere was also difficult. The sheer stigma of being charged was immense. Yes it was assault, but the charges were finally dropped. DUI or foreign equivalent is also not an unheard of reason for erasing identity. Escaping organized crime is one too. They don't take murderers or anyone wanted by the FBI or Interpol, though.

You will be fitter and better trained than most US soldiers. You will travel from the Jungles of French Guiana to the deserts of Djibouti, to the mountains of Afghanistan. It is an extremely arduous five years. It's more competitive than it used to be apparently. Since the legion has such a high rate of deployment to active war-zones, even french soldiers are trying to find ways to get in. They'll try getting Belgian citizenship so they can apply for the LE.

I first watched a documentary about it called "Warriors of the french foreign legion" which I think was made back in 2000 or 2001. Check it out and see if it's something that you think would suit you. It sounded like something I would like to do. Mainly I wanted to see if it was something that I COULD do, the whole identity part was just a bonus after I had made the decision. Then I spoke with some former members online. At one point I just decided I had to do something and bought a round trip ticket to Paris (just in case they didn't accept me) and went to Fort de Nogent. There are a surprising amount of Brits in the legion, which was fine for me since my parents are British (I was born in the US). All the way up through the late 60s the legion was populated by a huge amount of Germans trying to escape their past... for obvious reasons. I knew a couple Americans there. One in particular wanted exactly what you want, fresh US citizenship so to speak, getting a blank French citizenship through the legion, then re-immigrating back to the US and applying for a US citizenship as though he had always been French. The training and the life is hard, and some desert every year during their leave. Was it worth it? I will absolutely say yes. It was the adventure of a lifetime and I will never forget it. It's not for everyone. It is extremely arduous.

I could go on, but I would prefer it if we spoke about the rest through private message.
edit on 20-2-2013 by Galvatron because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Galvatron

WOW! Thanks for the reply!

You have me interested. Im going to pm you as soon as i get home from training tonight.

Thanks a ton!

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 04:59 PM
link   

How is this a troll thread? Explain yourself?

I didn't say it was a troll thread. Read my post. I merely understood why someone might think that and said it was worth considering.

This surprises you?

Let's review...

First you say you are a violent felon....but then later, you're not...or so you assert...

Your first post is about your rights being abridged, but then criticize anyone seeking sufficient detail about your crime that would help put into context the merits of your complaints.

And what do you complain about? Let's review:

...I spent six months in jail and three years on probation ...I lost everything on top of everything I just described. My life is not an easy road now and I Have no constitutional rights now.

While you have certainly complicated your life, it is hardly the case that you have NO constitutional rights.

Absurd.

...The government is no longer limited in its authority over my life. A simple background check or name ran puts my life at risk every time... I could essentially be put in jail for anything and because of my record my testimony will not be upheld in court.

Again, absurd,

Your risk of receiving unfavorable treatment by the government in most contexts is only SLIGHTLY greater than it is for the rest of us.

...I can't own a gun.

So what? This is your BIG burden?

Half of this country doesn't want ANYONE to have a gun. And much of the other half don't want you to have a gun either.

This is pretty much my biggest gripe. How is it that the constitution was written to limit the authority of the government but it doesn't limit the authority of the government for those who commit crimes?

And this question is so absurd, I'm almost speechless to address it.

In fact, I am.

But from what I've seen in this thread, you have a job...and claim to have remained trouble free.

Yes, you made your life somewhat harder than it is for most of the rest of us. But I don't see how the consequences you ACTUALLY sustained are so out of proportion to your admitted crime.

I'm not saying society should treat felons as lepers. But your thread isn't really about that issue, is it?

I can now easily see why someone would call this a troll thread.

edit on 20-2-2013 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 05:52 PM
link   

reply to post by LoverBoy

My victim had a black eye for a few weeks, I'm going to pay for the rest of my life.

As long as questions are asked about me ill keep responding. Your post is a little childish. I'm not looking for sympathy here people aren't reading the thread plain and simple.

If you think a punch, a broken cheekbone and a black eye is worth punishing someone for life, maybe we need to reevaluate ourselves.
edit on 19-2-2013 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

That's your rendition of what happened, however, since you were convicted, I'm convinced there was much more to it or you wouldn't have been convicted of a felony, only a misdemeanor.

That's just the way it is. You are a felon, you lose rights because of it.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL

If we are to treat convicted felons like second class citizens in a caste system, we might as well just execute them.

OK, let's go with it. Since 61% of felons are repeat offenders, it would cut the crime rate, save money by not housing them for the length of their sentence and send a clear message to other possible offenders that it won't be accepted.

Not all "criminal behavior" mind you, but convicted felons, ok, let's execute them. Save time, trouble and money.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 06:05 PM
link   

reply to post by HumAnnunaki

I was 23 or maybe 22. You made a lot of assumptions in your post. Let me ask you a question, how do you hit someone on te cheek if they aren't facing you?

Oh and I just finished serving in the military.

You were a trained fighter AND had been in the military, yet you sucker punched this guy out of anger?

You are a convicted felon and as more and more is said, rightfully so. You don't get a gun, you don't get a vote and your record will follow you. You should have known better and I would hazard to guess you DID know better but did it anyway. That is why you lost your freedom and your rights.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Can you explain to me why in the United States in this day and age I have to have an argueement to have rights?

Your point. Of view in this topic is a joke. If your alive you have rights period. Otherwise... I'm tired of working my ass off to pay taxes to protect your rights while I do t have those same rights.

You committed a felony, you lost those rights. Period.

I just can't believe who people think they are making me defend my god given rights as a human being as defined by the constitution.

I also can't believe the audacity of the people here who think they are of a hirer jugement the. The courts to question the details of my case.

Who do you think you are? Get real. You don't deserve to question only my god or my higher authority has the right to question me. You know nothing.

You started the thread and everyone replied. You stated what you claim you did, they responded to it. You asked opinions, they gave them. Just because you don't like the replies you got doesn't change the validity of the opinions presented.

You started the thread and said you are a convicted felon and asked why you couldn't have the rights that non-felons have. As a result, yes, they/we DO deserve to question since you are the one who brought it up.

Just because it isn't going the way you want doesn't mean you get to lose your temper and tell everybody to "shut up" or lash out at everyone. This only fortifies the opinion that you are a risk, you are violent, you are not capable of conducting yourself in a stressful situation and you definitely don't need to own a gun because you don't have the fortitude to use good judgment. You're hurting your case much more than helping it.

top topics

<< 28  29  30    32  33  34 >>

join