It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm a felon, I've served my time...can I have my rights back please?

page: 30
<< 27  28  29    31  32  33 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 02:14 PM
link   
I'm at work posting on an iPhone so it may be hard to read at times.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by onequestion

Whenever I do, I according to you, "haven't read the thread". I get it, you aren't telling us the complete story because you know we will call you out on it, that's a given. You say you want to own a gun, well that isn't going to happen. You showed the government that you were violent, deceiving, and have lack of self control and maturity. Don't get me wrong, I am definitely Pro Gun. I along with majority of the posts here are just glad you won't be owning one after the already stated above.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan
While none of us have a right to a job, we all have a right to work. But if you are a felon....your right is amended.

I'm not sure I understand the last phrase. With a few narrow exceptions, felons are not technically limited in their employment choices. Private entities do this...and as I have already pointed out, the EEOC makes clear *how* employers are to consider criminal conviction history.

There is also always entrepreneurship- a much better choice imo for most, if only they realized it.

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan
My issue is two fold:

- That we brand felons for life, ignoring what their crime actually was.

- That we have made so many things illegal that becoming a felon is fairly easy to do for someone executing bad judgement (even if only temporarily).

I do agree very much with these points. There is much to clean up in this regard. But plain vanilla violent offenders are the group least deserving of these concerns, imo.

And again, let's place this into perspective. What rights are diminished? So far, it's only really voting, gun ownership, and some licensing professions or professions involving children.

Are those restrictions really that much of a burden?

edit on 20-2-2013 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 02:29 PM
link   
If you are really determined to get your rights back there is a way. You will be a different person by the end of it all, both in name and certainly in character.

If you are fairly young (less than 33 years old) and are of above average physical fitness and you want to leave your past behind there is an institution that caters to your needs exactly. The Légion étrangère (French Foreign Legion). You have a 1 in 3 chance of passing selection and a 1 in 10 chance of surviving your 5 years. The survival rate is due to the fact that the LE is the most actively deployed non SF unit in the world. You WILL see action. Like I said, you will be a different person than you are now when you are finished, but you will be given a new identity. You will be given the choice to keep your old one if you wish, but that would be a waste of time in your situation. If your past comes looking for you at Fort de Nogent, it will not find you there. You can re-immigrate to the US as a French citizen apply for permanent residence and then apply for US citizenship under your new identity. Former LE are highly recruited by various PMCs and get paid very well. You can apply for a job with Dyncorp, Triple Canopy, or some other US based PMC and expect to earn low-mid $1XX,XXX while you wait for your citizenship. I can absolutely say this is not hypothetical. The whole process takes about 7-10 years, but for some it's absolutely worth it. Don't forget there's adventure and a high quality of life with it too.

If you really want to get your rights back, it may be the only option. Get a plane ticket to France and do it!
edit on 20-2-2013 by Galvatron because: (no reason given)

edit on 20-2-2013 by Galvatron because: spelling

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by LoverBoy

You don't need to know the whole story. I said enough already. Let run it by you again.

I hit someone. Their face broke. I got charged with assault ad great bodily injury. I plead guilty. I was sentenced and I carried out that sentence. That's all you need to know, that's all that your business. Trust me the Da and the judge did their job.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Good, so now you are a violent felon who wants their rights back which you will not get because you dont deserve some of them.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 02:38 PM
link   
One more thing. If you decide to go through with it, you will be interviewed before you are accepted into the selection by the directing staff. Be as honest as possible. It helps.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Galvatron

You know honestly I considered that an option ice before. I finally about four months ago found something I can make a career out of and have a family one day.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 03:22 PM
link   
There's been some really good commentary by a few professionals involved in the system. I was hoping for more. Maybe some members who are lawyers or judge or social services would be willing to offer analysis. Maintaining some semblance of anonymity of course.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Thanks Loverboy! I've felt the same from the beginning and I'm sure everyone else is starting to get the idea. He had a good run, but anything now would seem like a lie anyway. This is a Troll thread, started by a self proclaimed 'violent felon'. You can usually define a piece by the first sentence in this case that holds true.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Then why come on here and try to discuss it??? If it's none of our business then why don't you start writing to state and federal employees to get something done about your charge and keep it to your self. But instead you come on here, a forum, to hold a DISCUSSION about it, and give absolutely no insight into what exactly you happened. You claimed in your first post that it wasn't really 'your fault' and it was a 'one punch' problem. Again you came on here to discuss something then decided you didn't want to. Sorry I have no idea why I would get that idea. Enjoy being a felon I can tell by your attitude you've learned absolutely nothing, enjoy your box although it's not 10X10 anymore.

edit on 20-2-2013 by NoJoker13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Your story and desires struck a chord with me. I met a lot of good guys during my time with similar stories, some American, some from other places. In the mid 2000s I was in a similar predicament. I hadn't lost my rights. Lets say that being charged is almost as bad as being convicted from a records standpoint. I now teach history part of the year and the other part of the year I'm a soldier. I have a VERY understanding and loyal wife, but for the most part I'm settled.

Don't think you can't have a happy and settled life by going that direction. It is possible. I happen to enjoy soldiering, and being a contracted one it brings home the lion's share of my pay, but teaching is fun too and it keeps me rooted. I understand that soldiering it's not everyone's cup of tea.

Ignore the busy bodies who want to know every last detail of the event, in the end it won't matter to them and it won't matter to you. It's a very personal experience that you've had to live through. Even if you did shed light on the event that puts you in a positive position to the users of this forum, their opinions won't change the outlook of the system. Besides, being in situations like yours are full of ambiguity, even to the participants.

Good luck

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by NoJoker13

I think he was looking for information by sounding a general question. It's not a particularly bad way to fish. Like he said, He's received some good info that may have been hard to find out without knowing what to look for.

I peruse this forum form time to time, I can't remember my last post, I think it was years and years ago. This question is one that I have personally seen an adequate answer to. I figured the info might help.

Bye.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Galv, you joined the foreign legion?

If so im very interested in what you have to say about it.

I appreciate your well thought out response and the support.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Do you? I think he hasn't come to terms with what he did and is coming here to 'act' like he wants to discuss the problem. Then he avoids questions about it. He states he wants rights back but gives no information as to why that's so, except for 'one act doesn't define a man' and it was a 'one punch' deal that I was 'over charged' for. If he didn't want to 'discuss' what happened he shouldn't have come to a public discussion forum.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Also after further review of his posts he praises a cop killer. Enough said, you've already done enough for the people doing the background check to never give you any significant rights back.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by NoJoker13

I didnt praise a cop killer your clueless dude. Your completely clueless. The dorner case has way more to do with our approach to how it was handled then anything to do with what dorner did. But again your clueless.

Just go, this will be my last response to you.

WHY WOULD I NEED A REASON TO WANT RIGHTS BACK.

You clearly have one objective and thats attack. Your stupidity is unbelieveable.
edit on 20-2-2013 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 04:04 PM
link   
I have hesitated on commenting on this, mostly because the OP doesnt like me a whole lot, but here goes:

Should your whole life be defined because of a felony? I think not. I think every case ought to be looked at individually, and each individuals long term effects should be decided accordingly.

That said, I'm sorry, but you do not deserve ALL of your rights back. You, by your own admission, hit somebody and BROKE THEIR FACE. You didnt just pop a guy in the mouth. You did long term damage. You have shown yourself to be incapable of controlling rage, and therefore, should not be allowed to own a gun.

As for the work situation, thats where it gets a little hairy. I do believe that the gov't should not be allowed to keep someone from working. I also know that having a felony on your record does not automatically disqualify you from working. There are a lot of jobs that have absolutely no issue with it.

On top of that, there are steps you can take to start moving on, if you are convinced that it is this huge cloud over your head. Speak to a local attorney or assistant da. They can get you started. Even making efforts to move forward shows positively to prospective employers. They want to know that you have made the efforts to 'right the ship', so to speak. And thats why so many felons have such a hard time. They are convinced its always hanging over them-others see that, and assume that it is.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by captaintyinknots

I have hesitated on commenting on this, mostly because the OP doesnt like me a whole lot, but here goes:

Not at all, i do tend to come off strong but thats the nature of my character at times. Sometimes people think im angry and im really not im just tend to be very direct and have strong opinions.

That said, I'm sorry, but you do not deserve ALL of your rights back. You, by your own admission, hit somebody and BROKE THEIR FACE. You didnt just pop a guy in the mouth. You did long term damage. You have shown yourself to be incapable of controlling rage, and therefore, should not be allowed to own a gun.

I understand where your coming and i understand the hesitation people would have. Going through the system and being incarcerated tend to make people MORE violent from what ive seen on the inside. So that may even give you more cause for hesitation.

Let me ask you a question,

If a system were developed to somehow prove rehabilitation or the correction of character flaws that would allow that right restored would you object to it?

and

What about voting?

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Good, so now you are a violent felon who wants their rights back which you will not get because you dont deserve some of them.

You dont know me well enough to know what i deserve and to claim such is ignorance.

new topics

top topics

<< 27  28  29    31  32  33 >>

join