It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm a felon, I've served my time...can I have my rights back please?

page: 26
<< 23  24  25    27  28  29 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Creep Thumper
reply to post by TechniXcality

It's hard to behave yourself, yes, but you do it because it's the right thing to do.

Anyone can give in to their baser instincts. I choose not to. It isn't easy.

I guess someone can just walk up to your family and SLAP the spit from your child or spouse, and being how docile you are, they wouldn't face any wrath?

Every organism on this planet will defend (with physical attack) something that's a threat too itself or its young, etc. IMO people who won't are defective.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by onequestion
The reason i was charged with a felony is because the victim had his cheek bone break. I hit him once. The other factor was i was registered with the athletic commission as a professional fighter and that got out during the case.

OP, did you not state that you were 25 when this happened..?

How old is "young" when committing a crime?
Is 25 not an adult's age..?

Let me see if I can explain your judicial plight.

The judge sentenced you and confirmed you as a crimminal because
as someone trained in self defense, you ignored the rules of engagement and
involved yourself in someone else's situation which resulted in
blind siding the other person as what we today call a "sucker punch".

(It probably felt like you were back in court right now listening
to that very same judge again.)

Doing time gives a person another intuition that he needs to be a survivor
and therefore I can see you only disclosed what you wanted us to know.

Twentyfive years old is 'too old' to be saying you were young and drunk
and didn't know what you are doing!

(forgive me if I got your age wrong)

@Loverboy -
Thank you for the compliment!
Be well~be Water~most of all, be LOVE my freind.
edit on 19-2-2013 by HumAnnunaki because: edit

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj

I was convicted of an assault charge
please keep in mind that I am a pretty good person
reply to post by onequestion

Hey, I am a 100% believer in having the right to start all over again, but can you see the contradiction in your two statements? If you physically and violently assaulted someone this proves you have an utter disregard for the welfare and safety of others. How do you suddenly fix your brain so that you are no longer aggressive? What would happen if you were blasted with a string of biting insults? What would happen if someone cheated you out of money?

Personally, for your statement of being a good person to be valid I would think that you wouldn't want a gun.

Just my opinion.

I still wish you the best, though.

What happened to all the people who were pro gun and swears liberals want to take everyones gun?

That stance acknowledges that at certain times, aggression is necessary and acceptable.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL
See, in my book, any "rules" made that limit any rights, without a specific amendment made to the constitution are null and void. If any government tells me I cannot have the means to protect myself, I tell that government to kiss my ass. I can't legally buy a gun? Oh well, that is one of the reasons I learned gunsmithing, I will make one.

If we are to treat convicted felons like second class citizens in a caste system, we might as well just execute them.

SO FAR THIS IS THE WINNING POST!!

All these gun nuts and yet they are so quick to want someone elses right taken?

Same as all these people who want "less" government. If we check some of the posters history we will be overcome by hypocracy!

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnPhoenix
Hell NO you can't have your rights back. You lost them fair and square by willfully committing a violent felony.

I was attacked during Katrina by a guy who had been let out of jail due to overcrowding. He was a 3rd time convicted violent felon. I suppose they thought he was going to straighten up too but nope.. you can never tell what a person id going to do next, especially a person with a criminal history that's so bad, you didn't commit a non violent just had some weed or stole a candy bar crime, you committed a felony. I suppose you have no clue how serious that is or you would not be posting this silly thread. I had to get emergency surgery for an eye whos retina had snapped because of this guy they could trust so much they kept letting out of prison. I was almost blinded for life because I'm legally blind in my other eye since birth.

A convicted felon of a violent crime.. you Suck! If your stupid enough not to stop and think before you commit a violent felon crime, you don't deserve any rights. Personally I wouldn't give you any air to breath either. They should make you wear a I'm a Violent Felon offender badge every where you go.

What did you do or say to that felon to make him attack you? Now I know you will feign complete innocence in your plight but I know better.

This is why the system is the way it is. We have, such as this poster, people who are basically afraid of other people. See you have to realize these laws were put in effect to protect the people who committed all sorts of crimes (maybe white collar) in their younger years and they are now older. So they aren't able to scrap with someone who wants to pay them back. What they did was create laws to keep from getting that arse whippen they deserve.

Also, once the slaves were freed, slave owners were afraid the slaves would take that ill treatment out on their arse.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Reply to post by DZAG Wright

Wow I can't believe you are blaming the victim for being attacked. Then you go on to compare violent criminals to slaves who were innocent people captured for no reason and forced to work. What is wrong with you?

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 03:56 PM
link   

It's really not just the gun. Do you know how hard it is to get a job? It's just the totality of the situation. That was just one of the issues that's most recent.

I think you nailed it, but you still don't get it. Your biggest problem is not not owning a gun. Your biggest problem is that people can easily find out what you did and then act however they want about it. This has nothing to do with your legal rights. Once you hit that guy, managed to get yourself arrested, and managed to get yourself convicted, you created a public record about yourself. If you had just gone home that night, or if you had managed to concoct a good self-defense argument, that record would not exist. You caused the event that put you in the public eye. You got yourself in the newspaper. Too bad. Note to self: Never do that.

The government and judicial system did not do this. Indeed, if the goverment had its way, none of this information would be available. it is the public that demands "open government," "transparency," and "Freedom of Information" requests because the public doesn't trust the government. Because the public demands it, all government records are available for the public to see, including those about you. A combination of public pressure and easily accessible databases means your record is available. That's your biggest problem.

Now you are between a rock and a hard place, especially with regards to employment. If that application asks if you have ever been convicted, yada yada, and you put "No," you just lied on an employment application, which is grounds for termination. If you say "Yes," then you are at the mercy of the hiring authority in terms of what they think about what you did. This has nothing to do with your "rights." You don't have the "right" to have people treat you a certain way (as in pretending it never happened, for example.)

Now our society is pretty wussy today, but the hiring authority's job is to protect the company, large or small. So they are either going to say, "Ah, boys will be boys. Looks like you got screwed. No big deal." or they will say, "When will this guy lose his temper again and hurt one of us?" Same with a prospective girlfriend who decides to check you out. When will you hit her?

So your job at this point is to present yourself in a manner that will allay other people's fears. The factors are numerous. How do you look? How tall are you? How fat are you? How do you dress? What's your personality like? And WHAT STORY DO YOU TELL? You need to tell the story putting you in as good a light as possible while not avoiding responsibility. Don't play the "fairness" card. Don't pull the "justice system is screwed" card. That's rationalizing and people don't like it. And for God's sake don't play the "My rights!!" card because it's NOT ABOUT YOUR RIGHTS!

Now I've seen a few bar fights. They can happen suddenly without warning. One around here recently the guy got killed by a punch. The perp walked. You should've had his lawyer and our prosecutor because the guy was a known rabble rouser who had been in trouble before. No, it's not fair. But fights usually don't begin by one guy just walking over and taking out another. They escalate. If this guy you hit was also at least attempting to throw punches, you have the makings of a story. The story you tell and the manner in which you tell it will have a lot to do with how someone else is going to react to it.

For example, if you say, "Yeah, I got into a fight with this guy because he was disrespecting me." That's not going to go over well. However, if you said, "You know, I don't really know how it started, but we were throwing punches at each other and I made a very unlucky one and managed to hurt him, which I never intended to do. A few bruises? Sure, but I never intended to break his cheek bone. I was as amazed as anyone else. But he was hurt worse than I was, and so I got convicted, which was probably fair. It was a very unlucky punch. That was 10 years ago and I've never been in a fight since. There have been no other incidents before or since."

That just might work. Your life is NOT ruined. Get out of that mindset. I was told that, too, given an 'honorable" discharge with a bunch of coded numbers after it and told I would never get a decent job. But I did, and I did well enough to retire ten years early. So don't believe that stuff.

And stop harping about your "rights" here and deal with the real issue, which is the fact that the people also have a "right" to know and it's up to you to explain it.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by HumAnnunaki

I was 23 or maybe 22. You made a lot of assumptions in your post. Let me ask you a question, how do you hit someone on te cheek if they aren't facing you?
edit on 19-2-2013 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

Oh and I just finished serving in the military.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 04:06 PM
link   

reply to post by HumAnnunaki

I was 23 or maybe 22. You made a lot of assumptions in your post. Let me ask you a question, how do you hit someone on te cheek if they aren't facing you?

My guess is you intervened on behalf of your freind;
after all that is what you implied.
You intervened in an arguement that wasn't yours which the other guy - I suspect,
didn't even see it coming.

Standing behind or beside your buddy is when you threw the sucker punch.

23 or 22 is still too old to be considered somone "too young"

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 04:11 PM
link   
And what would happen IF you got your rights back, and then a few years later you got into another fight, only this time you have a gun as you got the right back to buy one. And you shoot the guy youre fighting with? What now? serve time, and get your rights back again? I dont think so.

BTW, youre a registered fighter? This may not apply to you, but EVERY guy I know who fights in the MMA (I know 6 or 7) has SERIOUS tempter control issues. Not saying youre like this, but alot of these guys are just wired like that.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by DZAG Wright

Originally posted by DZAG Wright
Every job requires a background check now (I work in employment) so in effect we have sentenced these individuals to never holding a legal job again

EEOC Enforcement Guidance

Originally posted by DZAG Wright
In this instance, the guy who had his jaw broke just has to man up and move on. If he's still emotionally scarred from having his jaw broken in a fight years ago, he's a defective organism.

Quoting this because it pretty much says all I need to know about you.

:shk:

Rather ironic that's your advice to the victim and not the perpetrator.

edit on 19-2-2013 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by something wicked

I am as white as it gets. Hungarian/German descent. Married a mexican morena queen, though.

Why would you think a gorilla avatar indicates a black man?
edit on 19-2-2013 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 04:26 PM
link   
People does it really matter what this guy did or how it happened? The man served his debt to society, what more can you ask?

As I've said previously in this thread, it's bad enough the man is going to have trouble finding work the rest of his life. You want to continue to punish him by taking away his rights after he has already served his debt? Answer to me why this man or any ex con should not be entitled to their inalienable God given rights?

Anyone in this country can get hold of a gun regardless of if you want them to or not. Criminals will always have guns. No law is going to stop them. So why shouldn't this man be able to carry knowing full well that he, like anyone else, is capable of acquiring that firearm illegal if he so chose? It simply doesn't make sense.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan
reply to post by something wicked

I am as white as it gets. Hungarian/German descent. Married a mexican morena queen, though.

Why would you think a gorilla avatar indicates a black man?
edit on 19-2-2013 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

It doesn't really matter, my response around vigilante law remains the same but I thought you had posted in a different thread that you were a black guy. I'm not going to apologise for that as I'm sure you understand no apology is necessary and being an intelligent person I'm sure you appreciate where vigilante law means the loudest voice wins the minority loses we all lose.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by spqrenki

Originally posted by spqrenki
People does it really matter what this guy did or how it happened?

Yes.

...it's bad enough the man is going to have trouble finding work the rest of his life. You want to continue to punish him by taking away his rights after he has already served his debt? Answer to me why this man or any ex con should not be entitled to their inalienable God given rights?

Which "God given rights" are in question again? Voting and gun ownership?

Yup, I see your point.

What a terrible burden society has placed upon this violent offender.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 04:34 PM
link   
post removed because the user has no concept of manners

Click here for more information.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Bottom line is if they have not paid for their crime then don't release them. If they have been released and went through the parole/probation process and not done is successfully then their debt is paid. I truly believe there is such a high rate of repeat felony offenders is partially due to their continued punishment once (fully) released.

If anyone believes that it is OK to continue punishment then they believe that the offender has not paid their debt. If that is the case you should also believe they should not be released. Just give them a life sentence and get it over with.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Yep, then the court should have kept his ass locked up if they didn't think he was capable of being a normal person. Inalienable God given right. Shall not be infringed. Meaning Government, under no circumstance, can limit or remove these rights. Do you understand that? Government is NOT God. Government does not RULE WE THE PEOPLE! Do you #ing understand that? Or are you too stupid to grasp that reality?

Wait! God provides an inalienable 'right' to vote in the secular elections of secular institutions?

Also didn't realize owning firearms was a religious right found in the bible. What kind of guns did they have back then?

edit on 19-2-2013 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 04:40 PM
link   
post removed because the user has no concept of manners

Click here for more information.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Yep come in here and only respond to what you have a response to. Straw man the rest of the statement because your simple brain can't come up with a logical argument. People like you make me sick. You are the reason this country is the way it is.

Scum.

Well, aren't you pleasant.

What point would you like me to address?

new topics

top topics

<< 23  24  25    27  28  29 >>

join