It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm a felon, I've served my time...can I have my rights back please?

page: 23
<< 20  21  22    24  25  26 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 02:58 AM
link   
First of all,kudos on coming clean on your past.We all make mistakes.

Fear not though,your not as screwed as you may think.

I too am a convicted felon,I was convicted of two burglary charges when I just turned 18 (many moons back in 1985)
I served a year in jail,and I got 5 years probation.After I was released,my family decided it was best for me to move away from where I was living (Stockton Calif.) and they shipped me to Bremerton Washington.

Within 4 months of me moving here,I was able to get a low level security clearance at Puget Sound Naval Shipyard,and I spent the next 5 or so years working there,I was released from my probation early,and with good recommendation.I decided to 'try' and join the Wa.National Guard.I was told by my recruiter,that it could be done,but I would have to jump through many loops.

After about 8 months of paperwork and interviews,I was granted a waiver and I was accepted!!

Since that time I was able to petition the courts, and get the majority of my rights back.

So it can be done!! Be strong,be patient and dont give up hope!!! If a screw up like me,can change my life around,you can too!!

I wish you the best my friend!!

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 03:07 AM
link   
reply to post by onequestion

The reason i was charged with a felony is because the victim had his cheek bone break.

Here is the problem. the victim had his cheek bone break, or did you break his cheek bone, because even in type you take no personal responsibility. It's likely that the judge picked up on this personality flaw as well.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 04:32 AM
link   
reply to post by onequestion

what you are running into are system safeguards built in. Its pointless getting upset over it. It is what it is.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 05:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gadeff
The laws are put into effect by people who don't want a black eye or a broken cheek bone. They come into effect around people who are non-confrontational and quite passive. The common thought behind your situation is instead of breaking someones face you should have let law enforcement deal with it, and if they cannot handle it, you push the case to the higher-up jurisdiction. There are no words which will make you feel better, the system is not human and is pretty cut throat, there are no stones left unturned.

I'm not sorry for your punishment, because no one would be sorry for me if I were in your shoes. I could have been many times and I opted out. I took the passive "pussy" approach and the way it sits today, I have my rights and I don't get treated like # when I get pulled over. It's hard to live like a non-barbarian, and you end up looking like a pussy in social situations. Let me be the first to say, you can call me a pussy in front of a group of hot chicks because I didn't break your cheekbone, but I'll be sleeping tight with my guns and my security and my money because I didn't need to lash out violently to prove a point to save face in a social situation.

If I need to lash out violently to save someone from being seriously injured, there would be no problem for law enforcement to write the report out accordingly. Unless I'm somewhere I shouldn't be and racist witnesses are making false reports, during which LEO can usually tell the difference and write the report out well anyway.

Cheers, you're already a dangerous man, what do you need guns for?

You own a gun. If we are to judge who and who isn't a barbarian, I think most(Not on ATS of course) would take the view that you are one.

This just goes to show that what's socially acceptable and not a big deal in some circles, is in others. You call him a barbarian for throwing a punch, because that's not what you'd do. Well most people in the western world think of owning guns as pretty barbaric, it's not something civilised people tend to do.

You wouldn't punch a criminal, but presumably you have a gun so that you can shoot a criminal if the situation arises?

Playing devils advocate, I could pick up I'm sure many more things you do that others consider barbaric.

"For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged." - Matthew 7:2-12

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 06:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by psychonautical
reply to post by something wicked

We are all victims to a tyrannical govt/judicial system. Either fear the man, or fight the man. If you do not fight to keep your rights you do not deserve them in the first place.

Live in fear. Take your punishment. Be a good sheeple.

That's your opinion. Using the sheep word doesn't add any weight to your non argument, you are just using rhetoric without any weight to it.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 06:09 AM
link   
OP,
Unless otherwise stated by the courts (which is another debate altogether) after time served and probation, your punishment is complete, all rights should be restored, this is according to a lawyer once said. Yes it will follow you forever and a day (your conviction) however you should be able to have all rights restored. (at least in a perfect world)

Grim

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 06:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by onequestion
reply to post by smurfy

You didnt read enough of the thread.

If you say so. I don't like threads be they hypothetical or real, that has an underlying insistence in the right to have a gun, and which is already, and currently an issue of law and order VERSUS, the 2nd amendment, that is what it has become.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 06:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan
reply to post by Blarneystoner

If a person is truly a violent criminal, they will have a gun regardless.

In any even, "The right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed" is pretty clear. A felon has every right to protect him/herself as any other person. If you have a right to live, you have a right to protect that life.
edit on 18-2-2013 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

Well, in 2008, the Supreme Court actually did state otherwise in the case of the District of Columbia vs Heller. See section 2 of the Descision for this particular case...

en.wikipedia.org...

(yes, Wikipedia, but I assume this is a public document for which other sources are freely available).

But on a more interesting note, if the 2nd amendment is taken literally, then you could argue felons have a right to bear arms while actually in jail as the text does not say otherwise!

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 07:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by onequestion
So there are so many posts and replys i cant get to all of them but i will try and address a few issues that seem to be popping up a lot.

First off im not looking for empathy i know what i did and i probably not only deserved some sort of punishment but needed it. Having said that do i think i need to be punished for the rest of my life? No... Would i shoot someone if i had a gun? If they were robbing my house that would be the only situation i would be in that i would have a gun on me and yes i would if the situation called for it.

To the people who think getting into a fist fight is such a big deal i think your overeacting, as a metter of fact i think you should get into one just for the experience. Please take that the right way.

I wrote this thread out of frustration because i cant go hunting with my brother and a few other family members and yea thats a big deal to me, if you cant relate then thats due to your lack of empathy.

I wanted the subject matter to not be about my case specifically but i used my case as a catalyst for discussion. I want to discuss what people think and what the laws are regarding this issue and a lot of the discussion has been really good.

I really appreciate everyones input and ive been following the thread closely. My schedule is busy, really busy untill the weekend but im going to pay attention as closesly as possible.

Thanks ATS.

So ok, just in case I missed you point (the bolded part): whining about not being able to go out with the family and kill innocent animals FOR FUN......and then accusing other of lacking empathy? Are we living in bizarro world right now? I must have misread you, cause I just can't imagine someone that kills living creatures for fun could say something like that.

(And I really hope you will never get a gun again....not because you're a felon, but because you want to use the gun to cause harm to other living creatures)

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 07:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Creep Thumper
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

I don't know who the hell you think you are that you presume to lecture to me about what you think I should expect of myself.

You should be examining your own household. You've got bigger problems than I will ever have.

No lecture, just comments.

you know nothing about my household.

why interject emotion into this discussion?

my "lecture" has more to do with your violation of T&C's, and my expectation that you uphold the high standards of this site.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 08:00 AM
link   

I have four family members who worked for the DOJ in a federal prison. I am very open in my disdain for the job they do. Whihle i love my family, I have a complete lack of respect for their willingness to impose tyranny on other humans.

ETA: the maority of prisoners in local prisons are drug offenders.
edit on 19-2-2013 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 08:20 AM
link   

I have four family members who worked for the DOJ in a federal prison. I am very open in my disdain for the job they do. Whihle i love my family, I have a complete lack of respect for their willingness to impose tyranny on other humans.

Those are very interesting comments. Are you implying that jailing people for offences that are considered to be worthy of a custodial sentence is a sign of tyranny? Or is it how (you imply) your family members treat those in jail as tyranny?

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by smurfy

I do say so and I know so based on your original reply.

Typically when I'm in a thread I don't like, rather then state that opinion I go to a different topic. Thanks for your input though.

I'm actually enjoying the replys post by most people for or against especially the conversations happening even 23 pages deep.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 09:40 AM
link   

I would also like to hear more on this topic.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by reject

I understand your sentiment but I have to beat a dead horse here..

All it takes for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.

Not saying I'm good or anything just saying.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by AutOmatIc

I love the use of tactics... first an attempt to dismiss with a broad stroke then come in for the kill with faulty details..

I can play this game...

I cant help it if you can not process something my child understood clearly.. (please see the rules of being an evil overlord...
)

The generalizations were made to point out your sides inability to process info properly, resulting in creating what amounts to second class status for people...

When a man or woman has paid there debt to society the debt is paid... it is people like you who then say well... you cant work here you have a record.. (try stopping a man who tries to suicide over it sometimes...
) cant get a job... cant get food and shelter... then it is genius's like yourself who turn around and pontificate why these people turn around commit more crime..."Duh, wez has to put there types bac in..."

as for the sex offender garbage...

Try getting to know your neighbor for a change... you know get off your rear and get out of the house...

As for the Sex Offender database... to many inaccuracies.... (specially when they cn leave the area they are at and visit yours...
you be safe in nambi pambi land...)

three lived around... only two showed up

1) did not trust deep into drugs...

so I helped the preacher get the man and his gf into church... they moved out of town about three weeks later

I was having a friend sharpen a knife (really a machete I called it a pocket knife... )
"If I have any issues why call the police... chiefs a good man why make him bother with paperwork.."

2) second man did ten years....

22 had a 14 year old girlfriend....
she was a street rat... had two kids...

I know I talked to his moma!!! his Girlfriend!!! and his kids.. (Which do call him dad and guess what... do not talk to their mother)

The mother raised the kids while he was in jail...
the man was reduced to taking care of two kids when he got out mowing lawns
(just so you know your viewpoint had to add the medicaid cost to society for the kids...)

3)one man still on probation for a little girl

three problems with it...
a)none of da social skills... and I mean none....
I suspect slightly disabled...

b)he is gay

c)passed two lie detector test

but cant get a job and was not rehired at another one because one christian woman complained about his record... after he had worked there for over five years...

(the last part is so you know I practice what I preach...)

Your afraid, I understand that... some men cant handle the real world... I suggest you take some karate classes so you can protect your family... maybe some more gun classes as well..

Also recommended to help protect your family...
United States Constitution-wiki

Its just not a piece of paper any more...

If I offend you ... good, I cant think of a way to be civil to a viewpoint I do not understand... in the interest of ATS motto of deny ignorance please, without histronics explain your point of view..

What I walked away with is criminals bad... keep punishing..
I am afraid and unable to protect my family so I have to do this

otherwise the sky will fall...

I just do not get it...

As for all the times I have been accused of being a conservative... where are all the *snip* liberals... this is one of your babies yet I am not hearing from yall here....

edit on 19-2-2013 by ripcontrol because: my way....

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by something wicked

Those are very interesting comments. Are you implying that jailing people for offences that are considered to be worthy of a custodial sentence is a sign of tyranny? Or is it how (you imply) your family members treat those in jail as tyranny?

To incarcerate someone for trucking pot across the state....that is tyranny. No, i don't smoke the stuff. But why should I be the one telling someone not to?

This accounts for about 40% of the inmates in the local prisons.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 10:27 AM
link   
I would like to throw my opinion into his discussion. A very good friend/boss of mine spent 5 years in jail for drug manufacturing. He has done his time and i believe him when he says no more. You know why? because i see it in his actions and the little things he says. The man learned from his mistakes and thats what makes a man. Its not the mistake thats made in and of itsself(there are limits) that makes you wrong. Its what you took from the situation and how it has changed you that makes you forgiven to me. We all are not perfect and we all have skeletons. The government has no right to deem anybody a criminal or felon, the public does because thats where it is. There should be proper implementations to deal with the crime properly. And yes, you should get you rights back. I mean, you paid for it, you realize the mistakes of your actions and have adjusted accordingly, so whats the problem. When youre punished, thats where it should stay,(within limits, such as rapists,crimes against children, etc) the point is, yes there are people out there who shouldnt even know the word gun let alone own one, but there are others who truly grow from their mistake and come out better for it. who am I to judge your past when youve paid for it already?

LIfe is about what you can learn, LIfe is not easy, Your goal is to successfully negiotate it and come out better spiritually, So do it.
edit on 19-2-2013 by mactheaxe because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 11:26 AM
link   
well you should have thought of that before you committed your violent act. No, you do not deserve the same rights as people who do not cause violent acts that send them to prison.
You must be very careful now for the rest of your life or you will go back. No exceptions.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by something wicked

To incarcerate someone for trucking pot across the state....that is tyranny. No, i don't smoke the stuff. But why should I be the one telling someone not to?

This accounts for about 40% of the inmates in the local prisons.

Thank you. That is your opinion. Of course one persons crime on the whole will be someone elses tyranny - I'm not saying I agree with drug running and selling because I don't, you do - fair play to you. Taking that to the extreme, any crime could be argued by the perpetrator as not a crime, we just all I guess draw our own boundaries - like it or loathe it, that's why laws exist to set a common denominator.

Do you have any comments on the other points I responded to you with?

top topics

<< 20  21  22    24  25  26 >>

join