It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm a felon, I've served my time...can I have my rights back please?

page: 20
<< 17  18  19    21  22  23 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by onequestion
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

I guess the way it could be seen is like this...

If the bottom half of the population and social divide are are in prison or have criminal records then we dont have to worry about them voting or having guns.

Hmm...

While I understand your facetiousness, let me address the sentiment (regardless of how firmly the tongue is in your cheek, others may find the above quoted concept palatable enough to not vomit):

In a truly free society, and in the America that I am from, there is no "bottom half" of our population. All men are created equal. None are more equal than others. We are all of equal worth, and there is no social class system.

I do recognize that there are a majority of our nation who wish to have a social class system, but they are living a fantasy meant to do nothing more than support their ego. And, to be honest, a person who establishes self worth based on money has done nothing more than reduce themselves to a dollar amount. This is the ultimate travesty of justice, where people should be something other than a value.

What you describe is akin to mob rule, whereby the majority stifles the actions of the minority using socioeconomic pressure. A mob rule by fascism, to be more precise.

A good explanation of what I am talking about can be found here. Be careful of what tyranny you will tolerate. Else, that tyranny may one day be at your door.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 05:51 PM
link   
reply to post by chrome413

Hey man relax, I never called you a liar, your fully entitled to your opinion. I've seen the system work more often than not. I also can not think of a better way to do it. If you got screwed I feel worse for you than most people would. I'm all about preventing injustice, it is why I pursued a career in law in the first place. Racism and poorly written laws are in my opinion, more of a problem than indigent representation in criminal matters. Whether you were a lawyer, a cop, the accused or just someone who never had a fair day in court, I appreciate your perspective. The system isn't out to get anyone, politicians write crappy laws and lawyers and judges are bound by those laws. Most people who are part of the system, are in my opinion smart and decent people who really care about doing what is right.
edit on 18-2-2013 by IndianaJoe because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Creep Thumper
Maybe it's just that the other half have behaved themselves.

Other half of what?

Do you define "behaved themselves' as doing what you are told?

If so, how do you reconcile that with "freedom" and "liberty" as concepts?

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by IndianaJoe
reply to post by chrome413

Hey man relax, I never called you a liar, your fully entitled to your opinion. I've seen the system work more often than not. I also can not think of a better way to do it. If you got screwed I feel worse for you than most people would. I'm all about preventing injustice, it is why I pursued a career in law in the first place. Racism and poorly written laws are in my opinion, more of a problem than indigent representation in criminal matters. Whether you were a lawyer, a cop, the accused or just someone who never had a fair day in court, I appreciate your perspective. The system isn't out to get anyone, politicians write crappy laws and lawyers and judges are bound by those laws. Most people who are part of the system, are in my opinion smart and decent people who really care about doing what is right.
edit on 18-2-2013 by IndianaJoe because: (no reason given)

I have appreciated your perspective in this thread.

Let me add: most people who are NOT part of the system are decent people who really care about doing what is right.

It is unfortunate that your job have you targeting people who are "just doing their thing", and harming no one while doing it.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Klassified
You did the crime, you served the time. Yes, you should get your rights back. This is an area of our "justice" system that needs addressing, but the debate that would ensue would take years to come to a head before anything got accomplished.

I have always believed if someone has paid the court prescription, they should have their record expunged, and be given a fresh start. However, the problem with that is the habitual criminal behavior of some. We should have a system in place that seals criminal records from all but the alphabet agencies, and LEO's, with the exception of rapists, and child molestors.

This would give people such as yourself the best chance of putting your life back together. Unfortunately, that isn't going to happen. Unless you move to a different country, you'll be punished in some way from now on.

Although, I have known a few people who hired attorneys to get their past felonies reduced to misdemeanors. If you have the money, it's worth checking into.

In my opinion this is the best post of all on this thread, catch 22 is that you cannot move to a different country once you have been found guilty.

Myself and the wife have clear records for all our lives, yet we must get a passport and be screened for any perceived crimes just so we can go to the States for lunch.
We both said no thanks to that.

My best friend was convicted of Bank robbery ( armed with a fake gun) he got 10 years in the big house and 4 years in a halfway house.
after that probation for another five years.

He has been out for 5 years now and is a productive member of Society and actually is making very good money where he works. (Welding)

Our stupid government in Ontario still will not let him get a drivers license or move without letting them know where to and when.

Basically they want to screw you till you die, they do not want you working or even thinking about having a life of your own. They want you under their thumb screws and you are to stay there for ever.

They have tied his hands as far as what he can and cannot do for the rest of his life.
I kid you not if he had committed Murder instead of robbing a bank he would be much much better off now.
S&F
Regards, Iwinder

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

You realize I defend people not prosecute them. It's my job to challenge the system, but to succeed I need to work within the system. I hoped I was one of the good guys.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by onequestion

Something I don't understand about this thread is giving OP the response he was looking for and not even gaining a single reply. Tends to make the thread bogus in my eyes.
edit on 18-2-2013 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan

Originally posted by Creep Thumper
Maybe it's just that the other half have behaved themselves.

Other half of what?

Do you define "behaved themselves' as doing what you are told?

If so, how do you reconcile that with "freedom" and "liberty" as concepts?

Interpret it however you want. I think you want to be deliberately argumentative.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Iwinder

Yes, it's truly a shame. There are those in both our countries who would like to criminalize everyone. And if they pass enough petty laws, they might just succeed. Then they have an excuse to control us all like your friend, and a few people I know.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Rights?.....Where is this Xanadoo?

You can have mine....I never get to use them.

Seriously OP....Wish you well in your quest.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Creep Thumper

You call it arguing. I call it discussing. I am curious for your input. If you don't wish to clarify, that is fine.
But dialogue is a two way discussion.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Other half of what? People who get arrested/people who don't get arrested.

Do you define "behaved themselves' as doing what you are told? More or less.

If so, how do you reconcile that with "freedom" and "liberty" as concepts? In the US there is no such thing anyway.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

I can't respond to 19 pages of replys while working a full shift(10 hours) and in in the car after a three hour training session after work. I'm literally replying as much as I can.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 07:13 PM
link   

There is a clear social divide in this country and if your on the better half of it you can afford a lawyer.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Did your time, payed your debt and all of that.

It is a sad society that cannot ever forgive or even believe in rehabilitation. Rather, that does not show through actions they believe in it.

If it was up to me, yeah - I'd give you your rights back. One mistake should not haunt a man forever.

There was a guy once who said something about forgiveness, casting stones and all of that.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Another very dubious gun thread. All the OP wants to be allowed is a gun, can you believe that? no humility, just that the time was served, no mention of the crime/s in the OP, just that the OP was violent sometime/sometimes, that's not too clear, that it/ they/were a mistake/mistakes. If you were violent OP, you already knew that society had laws already in place, and most likely secondary statutes that preclude owning, or having a gun.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaMod
reply to post by SaturnFX

Will you please point out in the Constitution where it states that felons get to maintain their rights after being convicted of a federal crime?
edit on 18-2-2013 by DaMod because: (no reason given)

Bill of rights. 8th amendment generally covers this. It has been played out over and over in courts.

Ultimately a lifetime of punishment is only required for the most harshest of crimes..like when there are literal bodys. Its why we don't fine traffic violators a million dollars, or execute shoplifters.

The argument is that since the person did something violent, he shouldn't be allowed guns.
So..then if someone yells fire in a theater, should they forever lose their right of free speech?
Rights are rights..you got em or you don't.
Most of the constitutional types understand this is a black and white issue and "feelings" should never get in the way of constitutional matters. The sentence for a crime is defined as a begin and end date. the end date then means their crime has been resolved and they are free. Anything after is a punishment outside of the courts jurisdiction..aka, it is a extra trial and sentence for the same crime...double jeopardy (5th amendment)

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by onequestion

There is a clear social divide in this country and if your on the better half of it you can afford a lawyer.

If you behave yourself you don't need a lawyer.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 07:50 PM
link   
reply to post by smurfy

You didnt read enough of the thread.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 07:51 PM
link   

You want your rights back..seems like you cn't handle them responsibly in the fisrt place. niceof you to make yourself known though, of your distate for your self inflicted state. you commit felonies and want forgiveness after your served time? Have you gotten forgiveness from your victems?
wild the millitray still control 72.5 % of the internet, wild there is a new blot on your 201 file.
Weak platform? keep talking..
I know of one place you can get your rights back, but it hard, and could be deadly,if you are not watching out.
try the millitary, they will test your loyalty, right away, they will put u in action, see how you fair. its a great reclemation program, cept not ever come back to talk about it. 17 only I have ever known of, out 100's.
always your friend SATAN

new topics

top topics

<< 17  18  19    21  22  23 >>

join