It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm a felon, I've served my time...can I have my rights back please?

page: 17
<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Loss of rights after a felony conviction seem to vary according to what state you live in.

There are three that are most denied after felony conviction.

Disenfranchisment:
In some states, disenfranchisement (loss of the right to vote) only applies while the felon is in prison. In other states (KY and VA) disenfranchisement is lifelong. Some states won't allow voting for a certain length of time after the release from prison.

Jury Exclusion:
Is genrally a lifetime ban

Right to Posess a firearm:

Felons are regarded by the Federal Government, and most US states, as being "prohibited persons" under US law (18 U.S.C. § 922(g)). It is a class C felony punishable by up to 10 years in prison.

Wikipedia

Seems to me that the OP would like to have his right to posess a firearm back unless he just really wants to serve Jury Duty or Vote.....

Violent criminals can't be trusted to posess guns..... end of story.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheTimeIsNow

I DO NOT FEEL SORRY FOR HIM.
I don't think it's about feeling sorry for people it's more about when is enough enough? you do your time, probation and then still carrying the weight of limited Constitutional rights for the rest of your life. sounds like a life sentence, no?

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by bottleslingguy

I don't think it's about feeling sorry for people it's more about when is enough enough? you do your time, probation and then still carrying the weight of limited Constitutional rights for the rest of your life. sounds like a life sentence, no?

He can appeal to the Govenor of his state to have his rights reinstated... except for the right to bear arms. I don't think the OP was very forthcoming in his post. What he didn't say was that he would really like to be able to own a firearm legally again.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by bottleslingguy

Yes I agree he should get his right to vote re-instate

But if you are a convicted felon of a violent crime I am sorry you lose your right to own a gun

If he wants to do something about it get off this silly website and go see a Constitutional Lawyer or the ACLU

Quit talking about it and Be about it
edit on 2/18/2013 by TheTimeIsNow because: EDITs

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Imagine all those nasty people that grew plants to help others with pain and caught an F owned guns......I shudder at the thought. Thank god I live in bizarro world run by psychopaths and paedophiles who have open access. As each day passes im more sure that this life we live really is matrix in nature...a twisted jerry springer show simulation .....testing souls of all ages for corruption and creation.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 02:07 PM
link   
if it was just a simple assault case just wait 6-8 years after the case was closed and get it expunged....Voila, all rights are back then...

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by onequestion

The constitution is very clear when it comes to the 2nd amendment. It clearly states, "shall not be infringed". Notice also that these are God given inalienable rights. Meaning Government has no authority to strip you of them. Under the constitution, you have a right to bear arms - felon or not.

Now, is it practical? Should ex cons own guns? The way I see it, if the court system let you out, they obviously think you well enough to be in society. If they let a murderer out and he murder again, who's fault is it? The knife he used? Doesn't make much sense. Blame the court and not the tool.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 02:08 PM
link   

My reply, from a cops perspective.....

I think to label all felons in the same category is awful. It is a class 4 felony to give false identification to avoid arrest...so if you are 20 years old and an officer asks your name and youve been drinking and say...a name of a friend who is 21 to avoid arrest....that is a class 4 felony....you most likely wouldnt be convicted of it...but it exists and im sure its been fully done.

My point is you have to weigh the entire situation. As a cop I find it easy to lump most violent felons into a similar category of "watch out for this guy!". However when I run a criminal history I often focus more on when was the last time they were arrested and not what crimes they did.

Another example...a 18 year old kid gets his 16 year old gf pregnant...hes have to register as a sex offender! How messed up is that...maybe they were high school sweethearts.

So In conclusion....the law is completely messed up...you may have a valid point in your particular case...but I feel a panel or group should review it. Id be ok with some kind of panel or even a way to expunge certain records as an adult. I think that would be fair, but it would have to be case by case.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by cosmicexplorer

And if that same 20 year old was convicted it would ruin his entire life.

I actually knew someone that had to register like that because he was 18 and his gf was 17. And yes they were hs sweethearts. Welcome to the real world I guess, you never get a job.
edit on 18-2-2013 by spqrenki because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Somehow this seems relevant.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Wandering Scribe

He got in a drunk fist fight. Think of how common that is among people who arent violent people. As stupid as it is, its life. Im not a violent person by any means, everyone i know knows my opinion towards fighting and how stupid I think it is. But I just got in a drunk fist fight a year ago with a good friend of mine. I even started it, ran up to him and just clocked him for being an idiot. Was it called for? not at all. Does that make me a violent person? Not at all. Thats the only time ive ever in my 25yrs of living, punched someone and the only time I can honestly say I will. Ive even been suckerpunched a few times by people (once while drunk) and still had the ability to keep calm and try to talk it out. But if i wouldve went to jail for that, I should lose my rights because I "might be" a problem down the road? Looking at the world in that view is one of the major problems people have. He did the probation, theres no reason to make this linger the rest of his life. Waste of time and resources and a mans life.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by spqrenki

The way I see it, if the court system let you out, they obviously think you well enough to be in society.

I would agree with you on that if we didn't have all these reoffenders.
There are a lot of people walking the streets that you and I would say shouldn't be. But with the shelves full of worse people they have to let out the lesser ones. That doesn't mean they should be allowed to buy an AR15 or be allowed to vote for the most liberal canidates.

It's a good thing I am not king. Or the prisons would not be overcrowded.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by samkent

Well, let's be honest, if you're a convicted felon, there aren't many opportunities for you. Felony means you're are denied from 90% of the jobs you apply to. So what does one do, thrown out of the prison with nothing? Find a job? Sit in a halfway house? You mess up even once in this country and you're basically screwed the rest of your life.

Maybe if they stopped throwing people in jail for smoking a plant there would be room for the violent offenders.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Hi onequestion

The way it works here in the UK is dependant on the crime and it's severity. Now after your sentence here you would have a period of rehabilitation time before it is truly spent post your sentence, say if you had a 6 month sentence and 3 years probation here your rehabilitation period would be 5 years, as 3 years for the 6 month sentence and 5 years for the 3 years probation which would not run consecutively.
However, at present we have a similar system of disclosure here when applying for jobs or how you are viewed for a mistake that you would probably never make twice in a million years. We have CRB checks. Many British citizens feel these checks are barbaric and full disclosures of spent convictions are completely against human rights. I am one of those people that agree once spent it should be wiped clean and never raised again. We are human, we make mistakes all of us, not one person here even those with there noses in the air can say that they have never made a mistake that could have cost them if they had been caught out, be it by law or by their parents when they were young. So why are you still having to pay for getting angry, drunk and an argument that got out of hand where you smacked someone means that your life is haunted by this forever more? I mean seriously, how many of us can say we never smacked someone in the face, even as kids with the playground disagreements or if someone is beating on you, are you not meant to retaliate? No one is perfect, it's just whether we caught out or not.
Well a CRB check here haunts you forever, when it is a standard or enhanced. These were brought in to protect children and vulnerable adults from being potentially harmed by violent/sex offenders which yes, there is no rehabilitation period for those kinds of things and damn right there shouldn't be, not for murder/rape/paedophilia/armed robbery etc, but the bad that came with the CRB's was that minor offences and offenders that had spent their rehabilitation period were still being victimized too.
There is good news on the horizon here though as lately a high court judge ruled that revealing spent convictions was barbaric, damaging and against a persons human rights, now the high court has ruled that the CRB system is to be reformed to actually do the job it was meant to do without infringing on a persons human rights. Now the human rights code is worldwide, if a judge here says you are no longer to be persecuted for spent convictions as it is against human rights, then it shouldn't be long before it can be used elsewhere.
I would suggest looking into the US version of the rehabilitation of offenders act, find out the exact spent time for rehabilitation and appeal for your civil rights back on the basis that it is against human rights to be punished for the rest of your life because of one mistake on a crime that is legally spent. Good luck and thanks for sharing your rant, I hear ya!

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Blarneystoner

If a person is truly a violent criminal, they will have a gun regardless.

In any even, "The right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed" is pretty clear. A felon has every right to protect him/herself as any other person. If you have a right to live, you have a right to protect that life.
edit on 18-2-2013 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by notasdumbasyou

You should have thought about all of this before you assaulted somebody, like an animal.

You act like an animal,you get caged like one and lose your human rights.

No sympathy from me...& I'd bet the person you assaulted was weaker than you & you knew this...

My personal feeling is that if one feels the need to assault people, then YOU should be banished from normal society,which you have been. I think your kind should all be put on an island & left to kill each other off like the animals you are. You are a threat to non-violent people and deserve everything you reap.

I dont think ive ever seen anybody as narrowminded as you, and thats saying a lot for the amount of crap ive seen on here. Were you there? Did you see him assault this person like an animal? How do you know that person was weaker than him and he knew this? Hes a threat based solely on the fact that hes made a mistake once? What about people that show that theyre violent openly for everyone to see, but havent commited a crime yet? Should they be banished? Get off your high horse.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by twistheknife

Originally posted by notasdumbasyou

You should have thought about all of this before you assaulted somebody, like an animal.

You act like an animal,you get caged like one and lose your human rights.

No sympathy from me...& I'd bet the person you assaulted was weaker than you & you knew this...

My personal feeling is that if one feels the need to assault people, then YOU should be banished from normal society,which you have been. I think your kind should all be put on an island & left to kill each other off like the animals you are. You are a threat to non-violent people and deserve everything you reap.

I dont think ive ever seen anybody as narrowminded as you, and thats saying a lot for the amount of crap ive seen on here. Were you there? Did you see him assault this person like an animal? How do you know that person was weaker than him and he knew this? Hes a threat based solely on the fact that hes made a mistake once? What about people that show that theyre violent openly for everyone to see, but havent commited a crime yet? Should they be banished? Get off your high horse.

Yeah, intolerance is almost always wrapped in a thin veil of piety.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 02:31 PM
link   
There are only two types of criminals- Those who have been caught and those who haven't. Thank goodness I've never been caught, but if I had been I could be in prison right now. Heck, I've done dirtier things than some people in prisons, but guess what? Nobody knows, so I'm just one of the herd. For now.

I still feel that there is some sort of conspiracy (for lack of a better word) going on here where in the end only the elite and privileged few will be voting or carrying weapons (of any kind, not just firearms).

P.S. I am not a violent person and I'm not going to rob any of you, so don't be scared of me. I'm merely trying to make a point, so that people examine themselves and see that deep down, we all aren't so different after all. Until we stop playing by certain socioeconomic rules then it's always going to be an Us vs. Them thing.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

I think that's what it really comes down to. The criminals are still going to be armed regardless of the law. No felon is going to go buy a legal gun to commit another murder. It makes no sense.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Weird, it was basically a bar fight?

When i was 17 an older kid got off at my bus stop started beating me up and throwing rocks at my head while telling me he is gonna kill me and then proceeded to follow me home throwing rocks at me the whole time and then at my house when i went inside. So i grabbed my stepdads shotgun and pulled it on him, he took off running, which was good cuz i had no ammo, it was ment to scare him. Anyway all i got was a misdemeanor and 2 years probation. Never lost my rights and was court ordered to get a firearms certificate.
edit on 07/16/2009 by Lichter daraus because: (no reason given)

<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join