It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm a felon, I've served my time...can I have my rights back please?

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 07:42 AM
link   
I am also a non violent felon. Anything very simple can make you into a felon. I ran from the police but failed to get away, fleeing to elude. Why did I run?? I was driving with a suspended license and I panicked for some stupid reason and just went to driving off. I did of course stop when they kept closing in and apoligized to them and told them I panicked. They were not bad guys though and we spent the trip to jail talking about call of duty multiplayer.

I work in retail though and discovered some scary things. Did you know you can become a felon if you try and steal a 1$ pair of headphones in Florida?? If that item was secured using any kind of retail security device, such as a locking peg hook or security wrap of some kind, you just went from misdemeanor petit theft to a Felony "Defeating a retail security device"! Regardless of the dollar amount of the item, if you break it off a locked peg or cut some secure wrap you will in many cases be charged with that particular felony.

Now thieves piss me off as they would most people, but I think thats going a bit far to be allowed to charge some idiot with a felony for something so cheap just because it was locked.

There are all kinds of horrific felony charges that would boggle your mind if you only knew how simple it was to catch them.

I will eventually be able to petition for my rights back seeing as my crime did not involve any violence or drugs. I believe it takes seven years though and I will have to go through heaps of paperwork. It will definetly be worth it.

As for OP, I dont believe your case is an exception, I just believe that if you wait the time and petition for the rights backs, they should at least have the decency to look over all the details of your case and make a logical conclusion based on the facts. I would support you getting your rights back. A drunken bar "fight" should be no excuse for you to lose voting and 2nd amendmant rights. In fact I dont even think any fight not involving weapons should be grounds for a felony. Whatever happened to allowing men to handle things as men do huh??? I use to fight when I was a teenager and let me tell you, nothing is more liberating then a good ol one on one with someone your having a dissagreement with. The day men (or women) cannot solve their disputes with a simple quick knockout was the day this country went to hell. I would only protest if the victor laid out his opponent but continues to beat the poor bastard into a bloody pulp near death or with brain damage. thats not being civil anymore, its just being downright spiteful.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 07:53 AM
link   
For those people saying you lose your rights as a felon thats just how it is if you did the crime, and that its the OP fault for doing the crime, let me ask you this. I live on the treasure coast in south Florida, and I almost lost my rights a year or two ago. I simply bounced a $155 check which I did not pay back right away(I figured it would go to collections). When I went to court they put me on FELONY probation for a year(newer Florida law- a simple $150 bounced check or more is a felony), and told me I had to pay $1,400. Probabtion included not being allowed out of my county, drug tests, and home visits. I have rent and bills that I needed to worry about too. I hadnt paid money towards it, but I still had a month of probation left and my girlfriend was a week away from getting a loan to completely pay the $1400 to probation off. Well i go to see my probation officer, and I get walked to her office, and there is a cop waiting to arrest me for felony violation of probation, for failing to pay the $1400, even though I still had a month left. 3 days after I was arrested my girlfriend got the loan and paid it off. So they arrested me for violation of probation for not having it paid off even though probation wasnt over. And when my gf paid it, I still sat in the county jail for 5 freaking weeks. They eventually threw my case out because it was paid before my year was up.

So would I have deserved to lose my rights if it wasnt thrown out? The system is flawed. I sat for 5 weeks in jail thinking I wasnt going to be able to vote, own a gun, or have whatever other rights I would lose, all for a petty bounced check.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 07:56 AM
link   
Just a little food for thought for all those that loss of all rights is justifiable-

I'm also a NV felon. I used to party alot and drinking and driving was my crime. I haven't had any desire to drink for over 13 years. Thank God that I never got anybody hurt other than myself. I can petition the state for my right to vote but that's it.

Here's the fodder-
I have my own way of making a living and sometimes I'll help out in a little retail shop that I recieve work from. i concider it gratiuity to the owner for potential job leads.

He once asked me why I didn't charge taxes on the items that I sold, my reply was that me being a felon and not having any rights, who in thier right mind would allow me to be a tax collector? Would you want a known felon charging you with extra money? I'm a criminal for Christ sakes. geez..

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 08:12 AM
link   
reply to post by onequestion

You're not the only one to push for this. However, it's going to take time, multiple people, and an officially drafted bill with specific rights to restore, and a defined process for defining what steps are needed and when.

Thing is, getting a representative to sponsor this bill would be an uphill battle as his/her opponents would certainly use the position against them to cast them as pro-criminal, even though it's really pro-rights.

That is the real difficulty you face here. You'd need to have a representative who has the confidence of his constituents, no real re-election threat, and enough pull in Washington to make this bill happen. Your best bet is to organize via the web with other like-minded organizations, and see if you can do some lobbying for it after wisely choosing a representative to take to.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by JohnPhoenix

Originally posted by bottleslingguy
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

you're obviously biased and not rational about this. better hope you're never on the other side to experience what it's like.
edit on 17-2-2013 by bottleslingguy because: (no reason given)

I have been to jail 5 times for stupid stuff in my 45 years like DUI's and public intoxication shooting fireworks in city limits etc.. I'm no stranger to the system and i do know what it's like. Sure you can screw up and make mistakes but I always had the presence of mind not to do anything stupid enough like committing a violent felony. Willfully harming another human being is where I draw the line and this guy should have known better also.It was so bad.. whatever he did.. it was a Felony. They dont charge you with a Felony for simple stupid battery. This guy did something very BAD.

you should know enough not to make judgements like that then. the issue is when is enough enough? justice depends on the bad luck of getting caught and a lifetime of paying for a mistake or two, when much more harmful crimes go unpunished, is not equal justice in my opinion

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 08:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

how about when your time and probation is over you go back to full rights? second offense tacks on double time with eventual full rights and the third one, well maybe by then you're in a different category

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 08:22 AM
link   
reply to post by onequestion

one word, "sovereignty".

You will not have to go back to jail as long as you stand in sovereignty and do not bring harm to another person. For, with sovereignty comes responsibility. You must be a responsible human. I suggest you check out dean clifford to get you started, as well as max igan and robert menard. True natural sovereignty is a little hard to wrap your head around first, but thats is only because you must come to terms with the FACT that the entire system is fake, made up out of thin air. Just a bunch of squiggly lines that some cats in expensive suites drew up and tricked us all into following. For instance, You need to be acting as a government agent, performing the action of government and must be getting paid to do on of these tasks for any cop, official or any part of the system to touch you....There needs to be a contract in place, hence No Contract - No need to comply....Unless you give them consent to do so(which they trick us into doing everyday, from paying taxes, to taking tickets, to taking any # off of a police officer, to going to court or jail). However, All of this must be done with a great deal of respect and maturity towards the system and its officials, or you will get your head cracked open and in lots of trouble. Especially when you don't have a firm, rock solid grasp of the concept. You must also come to terms with who and what you are, which is a divine being, a soul, here by direct authority of the one true Creator and that you hold under no mans/country's/corporations laws, statutes or guidelines or fees etc. Even felons can wake up and start standing in sovereignty, EVEN THOSE STILL IN JAIL(it is a little more difficult for those cats because they already gave consent to go in, but that can be overturned! I wish you luck on your journey my man, check out the cats I listed for you, I myself knows what it feels like to be kicked out of this society by the psychopaths who run it. But No Longer, I AM FREE from this tyrannical, oppressive system. Now go learn about the rights you were born with, not the rights given to you by that worthless piece of paper they call the constitution.

one more thing, don't let the smear campaign or ignorant people discourage you from learning this. That is nothing more than propaganda to trick the sheeple and sleeple still hopelessly enslaved to this system.
edit on 18-2-2013 by chunkafungus because: type o

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by YouSir
Ummm.....you should be able to see past your oversimplification here.......Not everyone grows up in an optimal situation. There are cities full of people all over this land that (not of their choosing) grow up around violence and in violent cultures (gangs). A very large percentage of these people "go along to get along...to survive"...........Many times as well situations are thrust upon us and we just happen to be in the wrong place at the wrong time and the end result becomes violent...That being said it only illustrates the fight or flight response and sometimes flight just isn't an option...........I think it's too easy to generalize and make sweeping pronouncements without having the facts...I think you did that here...

YouSir

I didn't grow up in an 'ideal' situation. I was torn between two parents until one of them committed suicide after which I was raised by a loving mother, but in an area where I was once almost mugged right outside my house, gun crime is prevalent and being out after 10pm is a no-no. But I've never once even been tempted to 'go along to get along.' The people who do those things are bad, and mirroring them to avoid them is absolute idiocy.

Back on topic, now I've glanced over the last 10 or so pages, but read the first few. I noticed you were convicted for a violent felony and someone's cheek bone 'got broken.' As far as I'm concerned, yes, you served your time, but you may not have your rights back. Society is built on consensus, which essentially means everyone agrees to get on with whatever it is they want to do. I don't know details of the situation, but I believe there must have at least been one moment when you could have extracted yourself from it and the incident could have been avoided. Instead, you willfully harmed another person.
And I've noticed quite a few members who are in a similar situation saying how they believe their rights should be reinstated because they did things that aren't 'that bad.' Like driving under a suspended license, or driving drunk one time, or cashing a cheque they couldn't afford to pay.
Fact is felony is felony. You know the laws are there, and if you decide in your infinite wisdom to ignore them, then you deserve whatever happens. Regarding driving offences, you DEFINITELY deserve whatever punishment you get. If your license is suspended, there's a reason for that. Don't drive. If you're drunk you better get the hell from behind the wheel before you kill someone.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 08:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Georgeisawesome

I agree that a non violent felony should be treated in a different category, however, a violent crime (and there aren't that many) should result in the loss of the ability to carry a weapon. Voting is quite another matter, no-one should be stripped of that right as it's how the country stays somewhat in check (although even this system is screwed up)

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 08:26 AM
link   
ex felons can't have the rights to guns. And yet those ex felons have those guns? something's wrong with this picture

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 08:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by acmpnsfal
Reply to post by bottleslingguy

Yea let me go dig up the statistics on how serious felony crimes are............

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

"criminals in this country complain too much"

what are you basing that on?

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Deaf Alien
ex felons can't have the rights to guns. And yet those ex felons have those guns? something's wrong with this picture

no such thing as an ex-felon these days. it's a life sentence

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 08:32 AM
link   
reply to post by bottleslingguy

no such thing as an ex-felon these days. it's a life sentence

right

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 08:32 AM
link   
I believe the system and how it works in regaurds to felonies is a bit harsh. I did a lot of stupid stuff when I was young and I'm lucky I was never caught.

Seriously I'm one lucky person. I had drugs and alcohol in my system and got into a serious car accident while driving on a suspended license. I didn't even go to jail. I got off the hook with 2 tickets. Someone was seriously injured.

I ran and escaped from the cops with enough drugs on me to catch a 30 year sentence.

I did a lot more but I'm not going to talk about it.

I quit doing drugs when I was 20 and cleaned my act up. I've been drug free and walking a straight line for 16 years. There aint a day that goes by I'm not thankful I not sitting in a prison cell at this very moment.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 08:35 AM
link   
reply to post by wantsome

Ok do you know yourself?

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 08:39 AM
link   
I would simply ask the ATS community,"Would any of you like an armed violent convicted felon living next door to your family?"

I do feel that a non-violent offender shouldn't give up his/her rights.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 08:43 AM
link   

I would simply ask the ATS community,"Would any of you like an armed violent convicted felon living next door to your family?"
reply to post by Feltrick

Like who?

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 08:45 AM
link   
You would probably be surprised how much of the restrictions and loss of rights are lessened by moving to another, non-adjoining state. Every job I have ever had, including health care and state funded projects, have only used the states investigation offices for background checks which only take into account surrounding states. Some states, like Tennessee and Alaska, are not even connected to any others states for licensing restrictions. Lots of states allow you to purchase firearms from individuals without a background check.

Are you living in some conservative southern state???

MOVE. Things will get better quick.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 08:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Deaf Alien

Like who? Like Jimmy who was convicted of the brutal rape of two women at gunpoint. Or Jane who wounded a store clerk during an armed robbery.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Felons are treated different due to the nature of their crimes. There is always the chance they will disrespect the law and become a law unto themselves. Some people have no law but their own will. Therefore they are restricted from many things in spite of the fact that they have done time to be punished for the crime. Criminals to not pay time, they are punished for crime and removed from society.

But, that being said, are there grounds for a Constitutional argument ? Yes.

1. Cruel and unusual punishment.

2. Being punished more than once for the same offense.

Both are prohibited under the Constitution, and the issue here may be weak. But punishing a person for a crime, and then punishing that same person throughout there life after they are punished for the crime, is cruel, and allows for no redemption into society, and is actually an additional punishment for the same offense.

edit on 18-2-2013 by Fromabove because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join