It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stacking Shelves Is More Important Than Geology

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by DAZ21

He's a genius. That's thousands of people who are now free to actually contribute to the betterment of the human species instead of doing menial labour for a pittance.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by ShadeWolf

Arguing on the internet doesn't count as bettering the species.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hopechest
reply to post by DAZ21

No they are not equal.

Equality is based upon what the impact of losing this function in society would have. Obviously losing a person who stacks shelves would have less of an impact than say a doctor. Its also based on how long it takes you to train another person to fill that role.

Shelf stacker does not take long but a doctor does, therefore not all roles are equal.
edit on 17-2-2013 by Hopechest because: (no reason given)

So I suppose a professional basketball player must be absolutely indispensible?

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 02:18 PM
link   
How many of those taking higher education to degree level, ever intend following in the field of their degree?
For many, the degree is the goal, not the subject matter as they have been conned into thinking that a degree will lead to higher paid jobs. Of course, the jobs have to be there in the first place for when they finish their studies. For many though, the piece of paper they studied for years to get leads to nothing of any use at all.

However, the more people that take out student loans to pay for it all, the more the banks make!

Funny how everything seems to come back to that common denominator isn't it?

I'm not saying that nobody should seek higher education. I would have loved to have studied geology and paleontology, but we just didn't have the money to make it happen, and so I left school at 16 and got a job. Since then, I have seen a steady stream of "higher educated" people who have not even mastered the basics of proper spelling or grammar and this is the part I find troubling. Again though, dumbing education down to meet government set targets and goals doesn't help matters.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by lynxpilot

Depends on your perspective.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Britguy

Arguably, higher education is not solely about higher education any more. For instance, fashion, media and beauty courses are unlikely to lead to higher paid jobs which are used to pay back the loans. STEM courses invariably lead to a variety of jobs, most of which are growing.

Job specific courses like sports & nutrition, architecture etc are pretty solid options too.

Basically, limit the fluff degrees and you weed out the "dunno, just doin' a degree m8 innit" people.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 02:27 PM
link   
If it wasn`t for the farmers who grow the food then there would be nothing for the shelf stacker to stack on the shelves.

Talking about job skills, most people can`t even keep a houseplant alive so i`m pretty sure it would take a very long time for most people to learn the skills needed to operate a farm and keep thousands of plants alive and producing food.
farmers should receive the highest pay because without them we would all be dead.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 02:33 PM
link   
The same political party/ies encourage children to go to uni and get a degree.
In the UK every man and his dog has a degree hence they are devalued and sadly a lot are dumbed down simply because it will probably always remain the case that only 5% of the population will ever be academic enough to gain a good degree. That does NOT for one moment mean that the other 95% are stupid, just not excelling in academic subjects.

We are now at a stage where my son stacks shelves with fellow 'academics' with degrees in maths, physics, astronomy, etc. They are all well educated but unemployable in their chosen fields simply because those jobs do NOT exist in sufficient quantity for these people to ever repay their debt and fulfil their potential.

Slavery, of course, is forced work. I am astonished that the national curriculum dares to even teach about slavery when many students are threatened with slave labour on leaving school. After leaving college we never allowed any of our children anywhere near the government job centre but supported them ourselves. After all, no one in their right mind would consider £70 a week as a full time wage. We were not about to throw our children into potentially dangerous work as happened with some young people during the London Olympics. The young people were forced to sleep out in the open under bridges. Health and Safety goes out the window when it comes to government slaves. It's funny how these rich companies can find places for the unpaid to work, but not for the paid.

I have worked at shelf stacking and it was well paid work. On a bank holiday I was earning double pay and because the work was 'unsocial hours' I had a decent pay and it was interesting, at times very high pressure and good fun working in a team. Funnily enough there were a lot of people with degrees even then stuck in this comparitively low paid work!

However, it was very heavy work perhaps akin to the heavy work of a slave and i would not expect anyone to do it who was not earning a decent wage from it!

Of course, when it comes to a government minister they tend to talk out of both sides of their mouths at the same time and every penny must be saved except for their own wage, expenses and whims.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by infowarrior9970

Geologists are very important. They work hand and hand with chemical engineers and petrol engineers to find and extract oil that is used for all the plastic products you use and to heat your home and make the car move. Geologists are needed when subways are built and when big buildings are built in cities. etc etc

Just because you don't see geologists like you see grocery store stackers doesn't mean that your life isn't effected by them.

Kid friendly site - what does a geologist do?

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by infowarrior9970
the pay shouldn't be based on skill training.

it should be based on how that skill benefits society.

how do geologists benefit society in the same way a shelf stackers does.

who's more in demand?

I've never needed a geologist in my life...but I've needed the grocery clerk many times ..to grab higher items off the shelf, to go check back for more stock etc.

I think the grocery clerk is more valuable to society and thus be paid more.

geology is more of a hobby. than a supply/demand thing.

the service industry should be paid more because without them ..the business, hence society would go to the crapper. AND the geologist would not be able to save it.

A geologist--or more likely, several geologists--were necessary to find the rare-earth elements needed to construct the computing technology which you just used to bash geologists. Ironic.

For some reason this thread reminds me of something Dwight Schrute said once on The Office: "If I am dead, the rest of you will have all been dead for weeks."

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 03:15 PM
link   
I stack shelves, nothing wrong with the pay.

Of course I live in a civilized country with reasonable minimum wage (Australia). I actually get alot more than minimum wage too.
edit on 17-2-2013 by cartesia because: (no reason given)

I too have a degree, in philosophy. One would think with the rampant immorality of the corporate world of today there might be work for someone like that, but no. Or with all the people failing to realise why their lives are so miserable.. but again, no. People with PHDs are fighting over part time tutoring positions....

A friend of mine with multiple degrees in maths/physics has no choice but to tutor high school maths students, 90% of whom are never going to do anything besides basic algebra.. and he is one of the most intelligent/knowledgeable people I know.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join