It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you give positive feedback?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 12:41 PM
link   
I'm talking about dealing with the service industry here. We are always willing to dole out our opinion when we have the time to complain. Hell, sometimes we MAKE the time to complain. What about when you get service above and beyond? Why not take the time to compliment the server. Make a note to their supervisor? I do it all the time. If I'm very happy with the service I received a gratuity sometimes isn't enough. Let their boss know how well they are doing their job. I've worked in this industry in the past. It's a thankless job and the vast majority of input they get is negative. Take the minute to do this imo. Costs you what? Nothing. May be the difference in someones day though. That's worth it.
edit on 17-2-2013 by intrepid because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Not only do I compliment and speak respectfully to our servers (and cashiers, our vet, the bag boy and the feed store clerk), I will compliment a mother on the behavior or her children in a restaurant or store. I believe strongly in spreading goodwill and it comes back to me tenfold.

Great reminder!

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Define "above and beyond".

Holding a door open for me gets a thank you, not a quilt and a folk song and a statue in their honor.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 12:51 PM
link   
I like to write a "thank you for the great service" notes on our bills. Someone did this in front of me once, and I saw how it made the workers' day.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 12:52 PM
link   
It depends how drunk I am.

If I'm completely sober, I'll usually shuffle out after dropping my wallet twice, tipping far too much and mumbling thank you while staring at my shoes.

If I'm slightly tipsy, I'll loudly compliment the server every time I see him or her, then grab arms and point at said server and use a wide variety of positive phrases such as "boss lad" or "top bird," tip far too much, say thank you far too much and then stumble out, possibly knocking over a table.

If I'm drunk I'll be carried out without a word.

My life is more like Peep Show than yours.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Its something I make a point of doing largely because good service is becoming less common, and when I am pleased by a standard of service I feel the best way of maintaining a high standard is to reward it, plus making someone feel good makes me feel good.

I realize as I write this comment out my actions come from a purely selfish perspective, but it is however a win win selfishness.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaTroof
Define "above and beyond".

Holding a door open for me gets a thank you, not a quilt and a folk song and a statue in their honor.

"Above and beyond"? Certainly more than that post.
Always has to be one. If you can't define excellent service maybe you shouldn't talk to a boss.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

I agree.

I try to always be conscious of giving, whether it is a garment of clothing or a compliment to someone. Giving is crucial. I have also found that the amount given is also the amount received.

Being a giver of positivism is something I tend to be anal about. My expectations of others being positive and expressing nice words can sometimes lead to disappointment on my part. This is something I am working on, especially on this site. Negative comments are rampant on ATS. Some will argue demeaning another is also good because it allows them to change their error, however I disagree. The method can be a positive one.

Thursday night we went to the local pub. There was an awesome band playing and so I felt the need to compliment them and also let the manager know we will be coming back every time this band is playing. I also wanted him to know that in my opinion this band will bring people back time and time again.

The next night, we went back and the manager informed me he has booked the band many nights and gave me their schedule. The band was also there and informed me due to my compliments the manager booked them for many nights. I showed them the calendar that was given to me via the manager.

Being positive trickles throughout space and time. I am glad to be a part of it and hope others see the crucial need for more kindness and integrity from the human race.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 12:59 PM
link   

I don't know what you're implying here. I'm simply saying that "going above and beyond" is vague. I'm all for tipping, I just don't see how anyone can "go above and beyond" without me asking them to.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by DaTroof

A utensil is dropped and they replace it before you can pick it up. You baby spits up and there's a napkin given when you need it. Anything that is beyond what a job is for a server. Doing all they can to make your experience as good as possible. It doesn't happen everyday that's why I think it's important to acknowledge.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 01:05 PM
link   
I stopped for breakfast at a Denny's on my way into Disneyland last year and the poor waitress was extremely busy. I still never had to wait for a coffee refill and our food arrived quick and hot. I've no idea how she did it.

While we were there she had at least 10 new tables sit down, someone must have called in sick but boy was she running.

Anyways I left her a big tip and asked to see the manager on my way out. I told the manager that she had a superstar working here and that i've never been so impressed with a server before. I saw them talking through the window while I was walking away outside and she had a big smile on her face.

That made my day.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Three different times in 3 different restaurants I have not only complimented the server and the chef; but I have also let the owners and/or management know too. However...if I get crappy service I don't mention it to the management; and I don't leave a tip. The reason I don't mention the crappy treatment to management is because I know the person (even though they gave me lousy service) needs their job.

Also...there is a regular drug store I go to in my neighborhood; and many there know me by my first name. I have looked for and found the manager who was on shift at the time I was there; and given a glowing testimony of the person that has waited on me. Why have I done this? Because I got really good and friendly service and I appreciate that.

edit on 17-2-2013 by caladonea because: edit

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by caladonea

Yup. The service industry is more than just restaurants. I asked to see a manager once at a supermarket after I got amazing service from the baker.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Intrepid, you have hit on one of my pet peeves. I spent several years in the service industry. I've done it all from washing dishes and cleaning bathrooms, to management and district supervision. Thankless is an understatement.

Because of that, I frequently find things to compliment staff and management on, in the places I frequent. And if I get outstanding service, I let it be known quickly. But most people have no idea what the job of a waitress or cashier entails. Let alone the crap managers and asst. managers put up with.

A kind comment, a sincere compliment, and treating those waiting on you like the humans they are, improves the whole atmosphere of a place more than you can imagine.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 03:50 PM
link   

I think it's one of those things you have to be a part of to actually understand. To see it from the inside track shows just how hard these people work, often in crappy conditions and at the mercy of customers who have no real clue, and tend to think the universe revolves around them anytime they enter any shop or restaurant.

As part of the system, I almost always give credit to the people who give their all, whether it just be a smile and general politeness, or whether they go that extra inch to make you satisfied.

I think in this day and age, people take the 'customer is always right' thing to an extreme, and tend to blame the person for the nature of the business, especially where big corporations are concerned. What people need to remember is that person isn't the company, just an employee. They're just a person, like you.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 01:51 PM
link   
So true Intrepid.

People are so quick to complain. Often about the smallest stuff. Some people would wait in long queues just to complain at the complaints department or spend hours writing their "angry letter". Yet, so few people bother to compliment.

There are several psychology books on the topic of reinforcement. It's really simple. Negative reinforcement does not do as well as positive reinforcement. A complaint about a person will not necessarily result in a long term attitude change/better service. Whilst a (sincere) compliment will result in a "high" for that person - and may even result in long term improvements/perks for that person such as an increase, bonus or even a promotion.
It's the small things.

Everyone should really try it. Whenever I get that "extra mile" in terms of service, I make sure to go the "extra mile" in return - such as contacting their manager to tell them what a great employee they have, or something similar. It makes me feel good, and I'll bet my best hat it makes them feel great.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 10:55 AM
link   
This was priceless. Yesterday at the supermarket I was parked, waiting and this worker was bringing carts in. He stopped to help an old lady with a bag of groceries and one of road salt. I called him over, asked his name and told him that the next time I was in I was going to commend him to the manager. He smiled and said, "I appreciate that sir but I'm the store manager."

ETA: So I emailed corporate office.

edit on 4-3-2013 by intrepid because: (no reason given)

join