It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it the starter?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Infi8nity

Originally posted by havok
I'm only going to post once more about this topic.

Make sure the connections to the battery are not loose.
Make sure any CEL's are fixed and properly diagnosed.
Check the spark plugs for abnormal colors, and replace as necessary.
Make sure to replace the spark plug wires if needed, and ignition coil too.
There's a host of other things todo so I'd search the internet for more solutions.
Also, tighten the gas cap...sometimes the car loses fuel pressure and can't regulate properly.

The more intricate things, like taking off the throttle body and cleaning it, or checking for proper spark at each plug, are reserved for more detail orientated people like mechanics, or me for instance.
You can check for vacuum leaks too, because they cause gremlins in cars...

If you don't know how to do any of these things, I highly recommend taking to someone who does.
Keeping your car running is of utmost importance I'm sure.

Hope something helped.

Thanks, im going to take it to auto zone and get a diagnostics before i do any thing.

careful, they may also diagnose your wallet!

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 10:31 AM
link   
If the starter does not engage it s usually a worn out starter. Obviously cleaning the battery post connections would be the place to start. The fact that the radio/lights/etc work has no relation to the starter not engaging. The radio only requires 3 amps or so to work. The starter requires 100 amps to work. A test light will tell you if it is the starter. Simply put the test light on the small single wire on the starter and have someone crank it. If there is voltage to it but it does not engage it is a bad starter solenoid.

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 09:08 AM
link   
reply to post by hotel1

very very true sir!

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 05:17 PM
link   
With the information given my best guess is the starter solenoid.

I am a professional mechanic btw.

Information is still vague.

When you turn the key does the engine crank over and not start? Or does it make a click noise?

If you could answer those two questions for me that would help a lot.

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 10:48 PM
link   
try starting it once. if it does not start up, tap the starter a couple times with a hammer or anything else, if it starts up, its the starter (easy fix). it sounds like it is the starter, however without being there i may not be 100%.

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Sounds like the starter relay. Could be a corroded battery cable. It could also be a malfunctioning neutral safety switch. Dirty connections on starter, or just needs a new starter. Does it click at all?

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join