It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian Meteor: did a meteor really do that hole???

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 10:55 AM
link   
This is strange...

Here's an image published by the Telegraph on an alleged hole in a ice-covered lake in Russia, made by a fallen meteorite...

Notice anything peculiar?

Like the SIZE of that hole? Wouldn't such a large meteorite (at least a few feet wide) would have generated more destruction of the ice?

Why aren't there signs of cracks or anything resulting from the extremely powerful shock of the impact through the ice... this is odd. I can only presume the image is probably unrelated nonsense, or fabrication. The edges of the hole really look like they were cut, not punched through.

But what if it's true, how can it have been made by a meteorite?
edit on 17/2/13 by Echtelion because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 11:02 AM
link   
how do you know it was a few feet wide?

It could have been a few inches wide by the time it hit the ice and it actually made a huge hole compared to the actual meteor.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Echtelion
This is strange...

Here's an image published by the Telegraph on an alleged hole in a ice-covered lake in Russia, made by a fallen meteorite...

Notice anything peculiar?

Like the SIZE of that hole? Wouldn't such a large meteorite (at least a few feet wide) would have generated more destruction of the ice?

Why aren't there signs of cracks or anything resulting from the extremely powerful shock of the impact through the ice... this is odd. I can only presume the image is probably unrelated nonsense, or fabrication. The edges of the hole really look like they were cut, not punched through.

But what if it's true, how can it have been made by a meteorite?
edit on 17/2/13 by Echtelion because: (no reason given)

This meteor is being speculated at having the same force as 30 Hiroshima's blast. Let's think about this and about kinetic energy. Even a small bullet has huge amount of force because of the speed it is traveling. So a large pellet broken off and traveling at 30,000+ mph is going to do some damage to something like ice.
www.impact-structures.com... ion/

But they are also looking for the meteorite so they cut out some of the ice to search for it...
edit on 17-2-2013 by abeverage because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 11:13 AM
link   
That is the hole that is left after a rock the size of a walnut hits the ice at 19km/s. So you're basically right except for your assumption of the size of the asteroid. I'm sure it was just a tiny fragment of what was left after most of it burned up. All the damage to buildings was caused by the pressure waves.

CX

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 11:51 AM
link   
People keep mentioning the "30 Hiroshima's" thing, but...and please correct me if i'm wrong.....i thought that was the power of it as it was coming through the atmosphere and fragmented.....not when it hit?

Either way it would be pretty powerful when it hit. I'd have expected some kind of mini tsunami evidence, not just a few scattered pieces of snow/ice around the edge.

Is there a picture with a wider view? I spent ages looking for other images of ice fishing holes last night, trying to match this to older pics.....it just really looks so unlike what you'd expect from a large meteorite impact.

That said, i'm no expert and know little about these things, so it's pretty much guesswork here.

CX.
edit on 17/2/13 by CX because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 11:53 AM
link   
It's ice. It doesn't have the same consistency as earth. "Crater" formations between the two surfaces are completely different. The above posts about a walnut size or an inch size is wrong, in my opinion. There's a maximum amount of kinetic force an object can have depending on the speed ... and I highly highly doubt a walnut can cause this size of a hole in ICE. Earth maybe, ice, no.

I think this is a real photograph.
edit on 17-2-2013 by Ryanssuperman because: (no reason given)

top topics

join