It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran confiscates Buddha statues to stop promotion of Buddhism

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 07:57 AM
link   
reply to post by amkia

Semantics.
again .. it's a belief system and, for some, it requires the little buddhist statues.
And the Iranian government is afraid of little buddhist statues.

Basic facts about Buddhism

• What about Buddhist shrines and images?

The shrine found in Buddhist homes or temples is a focal point of Buddhist observances. At the centre of the shrine, there is usually an image of the Buddha. This image may be made of a variety of materials such as marble, gold, wood or even clay. The image is a symbol that helps people to recall the qualities of the Buddha.

The shrine may also have such objects as a volume of Buddhist scriptures to represent the Dharma. Some shrines may include other items such as images, pictures or photographs of Buddhist monks and masters to represent the Sangha. When a Buddhist stands before a shrine, the objects he sees on it help him to recall the qualities that are found in the Buddha, Dharma and Sangha. This inspires him to work towards cultivating these qualities in himself.

• Why do Buddhists bow?

In Buddhism, the traditional gesture of reverence to the Triple Gem is to place the palms of both hands together and raise them high in front, usually up to the level of the forehead. In order to express deep veneration, a Buddhist may bow or prostrate before the image of the Buddha, members of the Sangha and the masters of the Teaching. When a Buddhist prostrates before an image, he acknowledges the fact that the Buddha has attained the perfect and supreme Enlightenment. Such an act helps the Buddhist to overcome egoistic feelings and he becomes more ready to listen to the Teaching of the Buddha

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 07:59 AM
link   
reply to post by amkia

satan is the accuser. paul said the law is the accuser.
in effect, anyone that attempts to force people to follow religious law, is playing the role of satan, because clearly the guys who enforce the law, regardless if it's islam, judaism, christianity or buddhism, are not capable of following it to the letter, but are more than willing to punish others who don't. this is one of the reasons why jesus went into a rage and called pharisees and scribes members of the synagogue of satan. that message isn't just for jews, it's for everybody.

he who is without sin, cast the first stone.
the synagogue of satan is all over the planet and most of the people in this thread and others, are members, in one way or another. it would behoove us to step out of the role of enforcing religious law till we have personal evidence that we are personally incapable of sin ourselves. that was jesus' entire messsage. and since it appears the human body in its natural state is automatically in the sin state, doesn't seem likely till we are in our redeemed bodies.

personally, i don't mind if a buddhist shop keeper removes a crucifix from his place of business and i don't mind if a muslim removes a buddha statue from his. but to enforce that on everyone by government writ that seems dangerously divisive. the solution to division is not to create more division. it's to let your neighbor be himself/herself. not micro managing each other's lives. let's treat each other how we would want to be treated.

edit on 18-2-2013 by undo because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 08:06 AM
link   
It was about time. Iran kicked the Illuminati out of their country, now they are stopping this Biddhism Illuminism from corrupting it again. It's their country, they can do whatever they want in it.

If only Iran could stop behaving as an A**hole and let Israel breathe.
edit on 18-2-2013 by swan001 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 08:11 AM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

It's their country they can do what they want in it. What gives you or anyone else the right to say what they can or cannot do in it.

The exact same thing that gives you the right to criticize what Israelis do in their own country.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 08:23 AM
link   
thus far, islam seems to be dealing with the concept of "do unto others as you would have them do unto you' as just the words of a naive child and that reality dictates the spoils go to the men of god with ability to dominate others to their will which they then say is allah's will. such concepts are part of what has kept the planet in a constant state of upheaval. why should you win for allah by playing the role of the accuser? did he ask you to do so? why would he ask you to do so? if jesus is a prophet in islam, shouldn't his words be applicable and not scoffed at or sloughed off like the idealistic notions of a child?

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr
I get the idea that the abrahamic faiths have a real problem with Budhism. I watched a documentary called the Dharma Brothers. About the use of meditation with inmates in a maximum security prison in America. The program was proving really successful and having a real effect on the inmates. The project was closed down after the local Christian church found out. What are they scarred of?

Really understanding Buddha or Jesus teaching brings an end to duality. And you cannot guide anyone once they understand nonduality because they know the answers themselves and do not need to be taught and can see thru small minded manipulation from the priests.

Anybody that understands how Jesus looked down at the Jewish priests should understand that he will have the same opinion on the church created in Pauls image.

From my point of view this thread is only a new example of a person being an arrow manipulated to hit a target somebody manipulative have said should be hit. Let see if I can shift the target so it hits where the manipulators do not want it to hit:

The hypocracy to not go after Saudi Arabia that is the bigger dictatorial problem in the middle east. But the USA do not want democracy but bribes like they always wanted. Money talks.
edit on 18-2-2013 by LittleByLittle because: Spellchecking

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by LittleByLittle
this thread is only a new example of a person being an arrow manipulated to hit a target somebody manipulative have said should be hit. The hypocracy to not go after Saudi Arabia that is the bigger dictatorial problem in the middle east. But the USA do not want democracy but bribes like they always wanted.

- ATS is capable of having threads about BOTH Iran and Saudi Arabia. Just because this one is about Iran, doesn't mean that someone can't have one going about Saudi Arabia as well.

- If you want to start a thread about how Saudi Arabia infringes on the religious rights of the people there .. go ahead.
While you are at it, start one on the misogyny that is inherent in Saudi Arabia (and Iran).

- Do you have anything to say about the TOPIC of this thread? About Iran not following the laws of the land and infringing upon the religious rights of the citizens??

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 10:07 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Well I'll say this because I believe that most governments are nothing but oppressive a/holes in one way or another. I support the Iranian government because they have the right to implement what ever they see fit in their country whether its stealing buddhas, Zero tolerance to homosexuality or any other issue. By changing their laws or rules they would not be following the true teachings of Islam like most other Arab countries are guilty of. Iran is not a dictatorship, they have elections, the religious aspect of Iran controls certain things the government don't also. So to put it simple, good on them because I really cannot agree with someone who will quickly point out stealing Buddhas yet Justifies Israel delibrately sterilizing African Jews.. I'm all for Iran and with that, I hope they kick Israels arse also.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by DarknStormy

Well I'll say this because I believe that most governments are nothing but oppressive a/holes in one way or another. I support the Iranian government because they have the right to implement what ever they see fit in their country whether its stealing buddhas, Zero tolerance to homosexuality or any other issue. By changing their laws or rules they would not be following the true teachings of Islam like most other Arab countries are guilty of. Iran is not a dictatorship, they have elections, the religious aspect of Iran controls certain things the government don't also. So to put it simple, good on them because I really cannot agree with someone who will quickly point out stealing Buddhas yet Justifies Israel delibrately sterilizing African Jews.. I'm all for Iran and with that, I hope they kick Israels arse also.

you realize what you're asking for is for behemoth churches other than islam to start behaving in the same fashion again? shudder. no thanks. i'm pretty sure most of the planet can do without that.
edit on 18-2-2013 by undo because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 10:22 AM
link   

By changing their laws or rules they would not be following the true teachings of Islam like most other Arab countries are guilty of.

That's just it. Their laws already say that they are supposed to be tolerant of other religions and that other religions can enjoy freedom of religion. But the actions of the government don't match their laws.

So to put it simple, good on them because I really cannot agree with someone who will quickly point out stealing Buddhas yet Justifies Israel delibrately sterilizing African Jews..

1 - Israel didn't 'sterilize' anyone.

2 - So, because you just want to disagree with me, you will go ahead and agree with the government of Iran breaking it's own laws? Okay. That makes sense.

3 - For anyone wondering what the heck Darkstormy is talking about. It's THIS THREAD . As part of Israels immigration policy, the government said that any immigrants coming from a certain African country needed to be on temporary birthcontrol for a while (I think it was a year) upon immigrating to Israel. The immigrants had to agree to the rules before going to Israel. The reason for this was because nearly all the immigrants from that country were dirt poor; couldn't take care of themselves or their children; had an average of 6 kids that couldn't be taken care of; had no education and no employment skills; and the taxpayers of Israel simply couldn't throw wide open the doors to their country and pay for all of them. The immigrants agreed to the rules before they went to Israel. And the birthcontrol was temporary. No one was 'sterilized'.

I'm all for Iran and with that, I hope they kick Israels arse also.

Okay .. well at least you are up front about your bias. Good for you.

edit on 2/18/2013 by FlyersFan because: typo

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by undo

I'm not asking for anything but I also respect that its none of our business what Iran does, agrees or disagrees with. If people don't like Irans stance towards Buddhas or Homosexuals, bad luck. Its their right to be that way and just because the West has moved away from religious traditions and has become a Mini Mart doesn't mean Iran has to follow suit.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
That's just it. Their laws already say that they are supposed to be tolerant of other religions and that other religions can enjoy freedom of religion. But the actions of the government don't match their laws.

Buddhism probably doesn't come under a religious entity because they are not a religion.

1 - Israel didn't 'sterilize' anyone.

Oh I'm sorry, Lying about Birth control because the Africans didn't understand what the Israelis were talking about.

2 - So, because you just want to disagree with me, you will go ahead and agree with the government of Iran breaking it's own laws? Okay. That makes sense.

They aren't breaking laws when it comes to Buddhism, It isn't a recognised religion.

Okay .. well at least you are up front about your bias. Good for you.

Bias? How about we talk about Irans stance of Nuclear Weapons and why they are a threat to the Middle East? People like you and a few others simply omit anything that will make Iran look half decent and focus on the petty crap to demonise them at any cost. They are not a bunch of crazy lunatics.. They are the closest thing to a democracy without Western Influence in the Middle East and thats still not good enough.
edit on 18-2-2013 by DarknStormy because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by buster2010
POST REMOVED BY STAFF

[snip of removed post] Other religions are protected ON PAPER in Iran, but in reality it is obvious that non-muslims are given a hard time for no reason .. case in point is what is reported in this thread. No statues of Buddha are allowed in Tehran. The government is 'cleansing' them out. Obviously, what is written as law in Iran as far as religious tolerance doesn't happen in real life.
edit on Sun Feb 17 2013 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

This is because...

Secularism in Iran first started in 1924 when Reza Shah was crowned the new monarch. Afterwards he established for the first time a state policy of secularism that made it illegal for any public display or expression of religious faith, including the wearing of the headscarf (hijab) and chador by women and wearing of facial hair by men (with the exception of the mustache). Public religious festivals (such as Muharram and Ashura) and celebrations were banned, Islamic clergy were forbidden to preach in public, mosque activities were heavily restricted and regulated.

This means Islamic faith too. See where I highlighted in bold? Why the Iran bashing? What's fair is fair is fair.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Buddhism probably doesn't come under a religious entity because they are not a religion.

That's been discussed already .. like three times. Semantics.
It's a belief system.

re·li·gion Noun
1. The belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, esp. a personal God or gods.
2. Details of belief as taught or discussed.

Oh I'm sorry, Lying about Birth control because the Africans didn't understand what the Israelis were talking about.

Says you. The facts on the thread say otherwise.
And that's a discussion for the other thread.

They aren't breaking laws when it comes to Buddhism, It isn't a recognised religion.

Again .. it's a belief system.

How about we talk about Irans stance of Nuclear Weapons and why they are a threat to the Middle East?

How about you start a thread on that if you want to talk about it. THIS thread is about the government of Iran and the fact that it is confiscating buddha statues in Tehran because they are freak'n afraid of them.

People like you and a few others simply omit anything that will make Iran look half decent and focus on the petty crap to demonise them at any cost.

People like you and a few others refuse to admit that Iran has a horrible record on human rights, and you refuse to understand that the harrassment of buddhists is not 'petty crap'. It's a slippery slope. And irans prisons are full of people being raped, tortured and killed due to their religion.

They are not a bunch of crazy lunatics..

The people of Iran aren't. Their government and imams are.

Its' strange how some folks are afraid of the truth being told about Iran. Keep sweeping these things under the rug and keep throwing mud at those who expose the facts. Strange.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Iran is so bad of course, they have to deal with issues like he below on a regular basis

Every 2 minutes, someone in the U.S. is sexually assaulted. ... --there is an average of 207,754 victims (age 12 or older) of rape and sexual assault each year.

Now heres a few interesting facts about Iran and why this demonising vision you have is nothing more than bs.

3.In Iran, couples that want a marriage license are required to take an hour-long lecture on contraception

6.Approximately 14.2% of Iranians are obese, making it the 41st most obese country in the world. American Samoa is the largest, with 75% of its population obese. The United States is 6th in the world, with 33.9% of the population obese.

17.Approximately 70% of Iran’s population is under the age of 30.

23.Since ancient times, people in Iran have used a water supply system called a qanat (or kanat). It collects underground water and moves it through tunnels to places where people need it.f

25.Iranians have woven beautiful rugs for over 2,500 years. When creating rugs, Iranian weavers often make a mistake intentionally. They want to show their belief that “only God is perfect.” After oil, Iran’s second largest export commodity is carpets.

29.In Iran, there is no legal category for marital rape because a woman is her husband’s property. If there are signs of abuse, male members of her family may threaten her husband, but it is not the duty of the police.

41.While homosexual relationships are banned in Iran, Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini decreed that transsexuals are allowed to have sex change operations in Iran. Since 2008, Iran has conducted more sex change operations than any other country in the world, second only to Thailand. The government even provides financial assistance.

48.Because traditional Iranian marriages are very expensive, the government will pay for mass weddings to reduce cost and encourage young Iranians to get married.

55.Iran’s constitution dictates that women are mothers and homemakers. If they want to work outside of the home, they need permission from the male head of the household. The government also segregates schools by gender, and at the university level, there are some subjects women are not allowed to study. On city buses, men and women sit apart, and a woman may not appear in public with a man unless it is her husband or family member. However, unlike women in Saudi Arabia, Iranian women can drive and vote.

Doesn't seem to bad compared to a few other Muslim Nations I can name.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlySolo
See where I highlighted in bold?

And they don't follow that law which is on paper either. Do they?

Why the Iran bashing?

Why the running away from the truth of the situation?
Iran confiscates Buddha statues to stop promotion of Buddhism.
It's very simple and straightforward. And yet ... for some reason
some folks just can't handle that fact being made public. Odd.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Now heres a few interesting facts about Iran and why this demonising vision you have is nothing more than bs.

OMG .. did you really just post all that drivel in an attempt to somehow make Iran look better? SO WHAT if they go to lectures on contraception or make rugs or whatever. And I really dont' care about their weight or BMI. Seriously dude .. if you think that somehow makes it okay that they are harrassing buddhists and killing gays ...

How about you go start a thread spouting how wonderful you think Iran is and why you think that. Enjoy yourself. Have at it.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 11:00 AM
link   

That's been discussed already .. like three times. Semantics.
It's a belief system.

re·li·gion Noun
1. The belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, esp. a personal God or gods.
2. Details of belief as taught or discussed.

And whos the Superhuman controlling power in Buddhism?

Again .. it's a belief system.

Not a religion.

The people of Iran aren't. Their government and imams are.

Its' strange how some folks are afraid of the truth being told about Iran. Keep sweeping these things under the rug and keep throwing mud at those who expose the facts. Strange.

No, you pick out a subject that will demonise Iran, that is not exposing any truth because I'm sure the same could be done to the USA and other countries around the world.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 11:16 AM
link   

reply to post by undo

I'm not asking for anything but I also respect that its none of our business what Iran does, agrees or disagrees with. If people don't like Irans stance towards Buddhas or Homosexuals, bad luck. Its their right to be that way and just because the West has moved away from religious traditions and has become a Mini Mart doesn't mean Iran has to follow suit.

do you want england to become rabidly catholic again? your stance relies entirely on everyone being fair and accomodating except islam.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlySolo
See where I highlighted in bold?

And they don't follow that law which is on paper either. Do they?

Why the Iran bashing?

Why the running away from the truth of the situation?
Iran confiscates Buddha statues to stop promotion of Buddhism.
It's very simple and straightforward. And yet ... for some reason
some folks just can't handle that fact being made public. Odd.

Who says they don't follow that law? TBH, I don't think I've ever seen an Iranian with a beard other than the ayatollah. Iran is a secular nation, they don't allow religion to be paraded in the streets but you can still practice it. There is a LARGE Jewish community in Iran who can worship without condemnation. Why don't you acknowledge that first?

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join