It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran confiscates Buddha statues to stop promotion of Buddhism

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 07:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by superman2012
I was stating facts too. From your source. That you overlooked mentioning. Why? Because it didn't fit in with your hate filled stance towards Iran. I get it.

You get nothing. You were NOT stating facts. If you were, you'd be stating the fact that the government of Iran is confiscating Buddha statues from the good people of Tehran .. which goes against the laws of Iran. Not that the government of Iran has ever cared about the laws that are on paper .. and not that it has ever cared about the people of Iran either ...

Human Rights Watch - Iran
Amnesty International - Iran

If anyone loves or condones what Iran is doing .. that's pretty sick.
The government of Iran deserves to be hated for what it does to innocent people.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 07:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
You put those two sentences together. That's disingenuous. The statement that 'this is what some people on this thread are defending' was referenceing the ENTIRE POST that I made. The side note about being homosexual in Iran was just that. A side note. But it does remain true that if anyone blindly supports the government of Iran, which apparently many on this thread do, then they support the slaughter of homosexuals.

If you support the Catholic Church or Christianity, you must also support Pedophilia.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 07:11 AM
link   

reply to post by FlyersFan

... and dont' even think about being a homosexual in Iran. It'll get you killed. THIS is what some people on this thread are defending.

Who's defending killing homosexuals? Please source or at least quote when you are making outlandish silly claims.

You put those two sentences together. That's disingenuous. The statement that 'this is what some people on this thread are defending' was referenceing the ENTIRE POST that I made. The side note about being homosexual in Iran was just that. A side note. But it does remain true that if anyone blindly supports the government of Iran, which apparently many on this thread do, then they support the slaughter of homosexuals.

You just lost all credibility in my mind with that statement. I really do enjoy arguing/debating with you because I thought you could at least argue your side with some clarity. YOU put those two sentences together. Not me. You put them together somehow equating that supporting Iran is the same as killing homosexuals, so it seems. Then when questioned about it, you go back on it, only to flip flop back into agreeing with what you already typed.
They are not the same thing.
That is like saying, if you support the US's foreign policy, you support killing children. Ridiculous and stupid statement.
All respect gone.

link   

Originally posted by notasdumbasyou
Why should buddha statues be allowed? What purpose do they serve?

Iranina law states that there is religious tolerence to be practiced.
That is one reason why they should be allowed.
Taking away people's buddha statues is NOT practicing religious tolerance.
The other .. people should be able to worship however they wish.

As for what purpose do the statues serve .. I previously posed exactly what purpose Buddha statues serve in the Buddhist faith. I suggest you read the thread ....

Do you see any Buddha statue in Vatican..?

Who says that Buddhism is a religion in the first place..? Iranian government has every right to remove those ugly statues from the shops since worship of an idol, a physical object such as a cult image is forbidden in Iran but it seems that you and your ilk have a huge problem with understanding the obvious meaning of the word (forbidden e.g not allowed).

How come people with less intelligence and in "knowing" about the Iran, Iranian nation, cultures and their way of life always come with their annoying yakety-yak BS about something that they apparently have no idea about..?

I am well aware of your staunch Islamophobia and Iranophobia like real Israeli firster and I am sure many on ATS agreeing with me on this. You don’t live in Iran and you are not Iranian (thank god almighty for that) and I am sure you and your ilk are not welcome there too, please leave this matter to the Iranian to handle.

In the meantime start worrying about your own country and culture. (if you have any)

Stop spreading BS dude.

edit on 18-2-2013 by amkia because: (no reason given)

link   

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 07:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by H1ght3chHippie
The fact that more links were added at a later point of time just proves my point that no research was done prior to posting this article.

Not even close.
The original article was sufficient. It quoted from AP.
AP .. as in Associated Press. AP = All over the Planet ... (well, the free parts anyways)
Just admit you were too quick in spitting out the fox news is sucky type stuff.
This story is everywhere ... the fact that 'AP' put it out means that.

The story is valid.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 07:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by DarknStormy
It is their choice but it doesn't exactly mean they are right though.

It doesn't mean they are wrong either.
And it doesn't mean that any of us have a right to restrict people as to what they can or can't believe.

Most of those 2 Billion wouldn't go to church let alone give 2 hoots about Christianity.

Dude .. it's been here 2,000 years. There is nothing showing that its' going away anytime soon. Islam has been here more than 1,000 years. There is nothing showing that it's going away anytime soon. Buddhism has been here 2,500 years. There is nothing showing that it's going away anytime soon. Hinduism (at best guess) has been around 7,000 years. There is nothing showing that it's going away anytime soon.

They are all here. They aren't going away anytime soon.
They all can't be 'right'. But we just have to put up with them.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 07:19 AM
link   

YOU put those two sentences together. Not me.

YOU left off the fact that I was talking about everything.

You put them together somehow equating that supporting Iran is the same as killing homosexuals,

It is. If you support the government of Iran, then you support them slaughtering gays.
The government is doing it for religious reasons. It's sick.

you go back on it, only to flip flop back

Not at all.

All respect gone.

Like I care?

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 07:19 AM
link   
at the Kenny G ban...I wonder why for that one; but at the same time I kinda have a feeling I know why, since I have been in more than one elevator.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 07:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by DarknStormy
If you support the Catholic Church or Christianity, you must also support Pedophilia.

Not at all. Catholics and Christianity have made it very clear that they do not support what some of the leadership of their religion has done and they have made moves to, not only stop it, but to prosecute those who were responsible for it.

Nothing of the sort is happening on this thread. People are defending Iran no matter what. Posting off topic jabs saying that, because I posted the fact that Iran is confiscating Buddha statues, that somehow I'm the bad one and the Iranian government isn't. They are defending the indefendable Iranian government while throwing mud at the person exposing the truth. That's pretty

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 07:27 AM
link   
Left wing Huffington Post has picked up the AP News story on this -
Iran Confiscates Buddha Statues
Like I said .. AP ... Everywhere ...

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 07:31 AM
link   

As much as they may be doing the things you are pointing out, they aren't sending soldiers across the world to slaughter Millions of Arabs.. Don't you worry, The Iranian government have not committed as many atrocities as your government. The US gove4rnment are also undefendable yet I see morons defending them everyday with their hearts.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 07:33 AM
link   

So you are either a liar or an uneducated fool, because these are the two definitions used to describe someone making false claims.

So which one is it ?

There is no need to become personally abusive just because you have been proven wrong.

More unsubstantiated claims.

I've been to Iran more than once and rest assured, there is no prosecution of Christians going on. I do also have two closer friends, both from Iran, and I know a couple of their friends too.

Perhaps you should write a strongly worded letter to the Telegraph then. These are their articles...

'I am told I will hang for my faith in Jesus': American pastor faces death sentence in Iran

Iran's Christians urgently need the West's support

Christianity 'close to extinction' in Middle East

Iranian pastor faces execution. Why the silence from the Holy See?

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 07:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by amkia
Do you see any Buddha statue in Vatican..?

Actually yes. pictures here
The Vatican churches are Catholic churches. So obviously they are places for Catholic worship and so Buddha usually isn't there. However, there is no restriction against the residents of Vatican City from having Buddhist or Hindu statues. There are no restrictions in the shops against buddhist or hindu items. The residents of Vatican City can worship however they want and buy whatever they want. Most simply want to buy and/or worship Catholic.

Who says that Buddhism is a religion in the first place..?

Hmmm .. they have monks and nuns .. they have robes and other ritual items to wear ... they have monasteries .. they have prayer rituals and meditations .. they have revered lamas who reincarnate and come back to help ... they have a leadership structure much the same as the Catholics ... they have meditations and writings from 'masters' like Catholics have from the saints ... they have statues that they place on altars and places of honor in the home like Catholics ...

Iranian government has every right to remove those ugly statues from the shops since worship of an idol,

Actually, according to their own laws .. they don't.
And according to Buddhists .. those statues aren't ugly at all.

it seems that you and your ilk have a huge problem with understanding the obvious meaning of the word (forbidden e.g not allowed).

Apparently my 'ilk' understands more than you do. The laws state that there is religious freedom in Iran. However, what the government of Iran puts in practice is far different.

Stop spreading BS dude.

Prove the story wrong .. prove the story is BS ... prove that the government of Iran is following the law of the land and allowing religious freedom. Go ahead. I triple dog dare ya .... give it a try.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 07:40 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 07:42 AM
link   

Who's defending killing homosexuals? Please source or at least quote when you are making outlandish silly claims.

In Iran, homosexuality and sodomy is a capital offense.

Wikipedia

So presumably, Iran's current regime of fundamentalist Mullahs defend killing homosexuals.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 07:43 AM
link   
reply to post by DarknStormy

Deflection. If you want to, go ahead and start a thread on that subject.
America is worse than Iran .... or whatever.

The topic of THIS thread is that the government of Iran isn't following it's own laws about religious freedom. And it seems the other topic of this thread is that there are people here who are really ticked off that this fact is being exposed ... throwing mud and hissy fits. Very odd.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 07:47 AM
link   

I've been to Iran more than once and rest assured, there is no prosecution of Christians going on.

There were over 300 arrests of Christians in 35 cities across Iran between June 2010 and September 2011.

Detainees are typically held in unsanitary prisons, sometimes in solitary confinement, with evidence of torture and interrogation tactics being used against them on account of their faith.

Excessively high bail demands, some as great as $30,000, see title deeds to detainees’ houses being given in return for their liberty.

hose inmates whose families cannot meet these demands, such as Pastor Farshid Fathi, who was detained in a brutal crackdown against evangelical Christians over Christmas of last year, remain detained.

The Telegraph

Christians are being persecuted in Iran.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 07:51 AM
link   

I've been to Iran more than once and rest assured, there is no prosecution of Christians going on.

Amnesty International Report on Iran - 2012

Human Rights Watch on Iran - 2012

Al Arabiya - Christians Face Arrest and Persecurtion in Iran
More than 300 Christians have been arrested since mid-2010 in Iran where churches operate in a climate of fear and Muslims who convert to Christianity face persecution, United Nations human rights investigators said on Thursday.

They welcomed the release earlier this month of Yousof Nadarkhani, a Christian pastor who spent three years in prison before his death sentence for apostasy and evangelism was commuted, but voiced deep concerns for those still detained. In a joint statement, the independent investigators called on authorities in the Islamic Republic to “ease the current climate of fear in which many churches operate, especially Protestant evangelical houses of worship”.

Ahmed Shaheed, U.N. special rapporteur on human rights in Iran, estimated that based on his own interviews and reports from activist groups, “over 300 Christians have been arbitrarily arrested and detained throughout the country since June 2010”.

Christians In Iran Continue to Be Persecurted by the Regime

PDF - Christians in Iran Report

So you are either a liar or an uneducated fool, because these are the two definitions used to describe someone making false claims. So which one is it ?

Yes .. using your own words back ... which one are you?

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 07:53 AM
link   

Buddhism cannot, strictly be called a religion because it is neither a system of faith and worship, nor "the outward act or form by which men indicate their recognition of the existence of a God or gods having power over their own destiny to whom obedience, service, and honor are due."

Taken form here:

www.buddhanet.net...

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join