It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran confiscates Buddha statues to stop promotion of Buddhism

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

You just signed on to this site today. You know nothing about who is on this site.

That means nothing. He could have been reading posts on this site a long time. I know I did before I signed up.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Kram09

And you complained about rhetoric from others ....

I'm not seeing any information in that post of yours.
If you have information that shows this news article to be wrong, then please post it.
Then we can tear into the original news source.
Otherwise, we have to go on the facts as presented ..
being that the Iranian government is breaking it's own laws of
religious tolerance ...

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 01:45 PM
link   

You've completed missed my point (or ignored it completely).

Doesn't surprise me in the slightest.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kram09
I mean the story is essentially pointless.

It's information on what is going on in the world. It may be pointless to you .. but to others it's interesting and/or important. 'Pointless' or 'not pointless' in this case is subjective.

It's only purpose is to reinforce the negative stereotype of Iran that has been perpetuated in your minds.

Says you. (And you are welcome to that opinion.) But if the story is true, then it's true. And if facts reinforce 'stereotypes' ... so what? Facts are facts. We shouldn't stick our heads in the sand simply because some people don't want to see the facts.

You're telling my you're genuinely losing sleep

I never said I'm losing sleep.

Would you be making a thread if this was about....say...Zimbabwe for example?

Dunno. Find some information on people not having religious freedom in Zimbabwe, or that the government there is side stepping it's own laws in order to harrass the people, and I'll start a thread on it. Or you can if you prefer. Either way.

Something tells me you wouldn't...

Whatever dude.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 01:54 PM
link   
For the one poster here who has an issue with Fox news ...

The same story carried by AP and ABC -
Click Here
The same story carried by The Guardian and AP from Tehran
Click Here

And The Miami Herald
And the Connecticut Post
etc etc etc

All quote back to the Independent Arman Daily statement by Saeed Jaberi Ansari.
edit on 2/17/2013 by FlyersFan because: fixed typo

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Why do you always make beefing threads about Iran.. You should at the very least look at why you choose to regurgitate this propaganda. . They want people to hate the regime in Iran.. So they can bomb it back into the stone age..

Really it is a lovely country. A visit on your part might well change your views... We live in a world full of armchair experts...

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Iranina law states that there is religious tolerence to be practiced.
That is one reason why they should be allowed.
Taking away people's buddha statues is NOT practicing religious tolerance.
The other .. people should be able to worship however they wish.

yawn... it happens all over the world but you choose simply to look at Iran. This is ATS try looking through the cracks..

French law states that there is religious tolerence to be practiced.
That is one reason why they should be allowed.
Taking away people's right to wear a burka in public is NOT practicing religious tolerance.
The other .. people should be able to worship however they wish.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by purplemer
Why do you always make beefing threads about Iran..

Untrue. Look at my thread history. I make a lot of threads about different subjects. And if there are threads here about the government of Iran screwing up .. it's probably because the government of Iran screwed up. Very simple.

You should at the very least look at why you choose to regurgitate this propaganda.

1 - You should at the very least look at why you choose not to believe facts.
2 - Facts aren't propaganda. They are facts. The fact is, the Iranian government is not following the rules of their own country.

They want people to hate the regime in Iran.. So they can bomb it back into the stone age..

No where in any of the information posted did anyone call for Iran to be bombed in any way. It's a news article with information about what is happening in the country. Read it. Learn.

A visit on your part might well change your views...

1 - You don't know what my views are. Don't presume to know.
2 - My view is that the government of Iran isn't allowing religious freedom even though it's laws say it should. Considering the information at hand .. that's a very safe conclusion to come to.

We live in a world full of armchair experts...[/qutoe]
yes .. you can count yourself among them.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Do you know anything about Buddhism. They do not need idols to worship, They can manage just fine being Buddhists without them.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 02:46 PM
link   

yawn... it happens all over the world but you choose simply to look at Iran.

How sad that you find this issue to be so boring. Whatever.
Go take a nap. Let us know if you ever really wake up.

French law states ....

If you have information on that then go ahead and start a thread about it.
No one is stopping you.

The Iranian apologists would have us all ignore the information about the government of Iran ignoring it's own laws about tolerating different religions. It's baffling why they get so upset when the Iranian government is exposed. They seem to want suppression of information simply because Iran is involved. Very, very odd.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Religious tolerance does not mean one has to let you put up statues. Do you even think before you spout your trash?

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by purplemer

Shhh... let them continue to live their life as ignorant as they want...they clearly know more than ACTUAL people over there...

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to [url=http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread927080/pg4#pid159442

1 - You should at the very least look at why you choose not to believe facts. 2 - Facts aren't propaganda. They are facts. The fact is, the Iranian government is not following the rules of their own country.

Untrue. Look at my thread history. I make a lot of threads about different subjects. And if there are threads here about the government of Iran screwing up .. it's probably because the government of Iran screwed up. Very simple.

Be so kind as to not put words in my mouth. I have no problem understanding facts from fiction. Facts however can be tools of propaganda. Many case studies in history to prove this. There are injustices all over the world. The amount of injustices reported out of Iran is not proportional. There will be no war with Iran without public support.

Just checked your last hundred postings.. Maybe about 25 regarding Iran...

No where in any of the information posted did anyone call for Iran to be bombed in any way. It's a news article with information about what is happening in the country. Read it. Learn

No where in any of my information posted did I state you called for Iran it to be bombed in anyway. However the rhotoric of reporting Iran in a negative light has been in full bloom for the last 5 years or so.... They lied about Iran. Then Afghanistan and now Iran.. I really do not understand how you cannot see the underlying patterns here. Go and look at how the media presented Iran and Afghanistan before the war.. Read...Learn...

1 - You don't know what my views are. Don't presume to know

With some 25k post on your behalf on ATS, I would hazard a guess that myself and many others on here reading have a good idea what many of your views are.

My view is that the government of Iran isn't allowing religious freedom even though it's laws say it should. Considering the information at hand .. that's a very safe conclusion to come to.

Yes that is simple to understand. I cannot think of a country in the world that allows religous freedom.. Was no the US up in arms last years for violations of religious freedom...

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 03:25 PM
link   

How sad that you find this issue to be so boring. Whatever. Go take a nap. Let us know if you ever really wake up.

Please try and not making a habit of not understanding things. The consequence of such action is really not that clever... See it is not the issue I find boring. It is the repetition without thought. I find it puts me in catatonic dream like state and there is you telling me to go take a nap... It wasn't that long ago I did wake up. I started reading your thread and I fell back to sleep again. Now I no longer know if this is part of my dream or you are part of my reality...

best wishes...

purp....

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 03:25 PM
link   
dp

purp....
edit on 17-2-2013 by purplemer because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by notasdumbasyou
It is there choice and right if they do not want a religion that is not native to their lands. Why should buddha statues be allowed? What purpose do they serve? You see how those peaceful Indians treat Muslims? Tit for Tat.

Just to make sure I got you correct
You are all for religious surpression. Totally happy with silencing religions to any extent.

And also want to point out that at the moment, you got 2 stars for this brave stance of intolerance.

That's fine I guess..your right to speak your mind.
More surprised at the stars you get...

What if the nation you were in decided to destroy the symbols of your religion (or lack thereof) because it wasn't native to the land?

And final thought...since when is a arab religion (islam) native to the Persians? That's as insane as saying Christianity is the native religion of north America (some Indians may raise an eyebrow over that one).
Point is, Buddism predates islam by like a bajillion years. Islam is the new boy import out of any other religion on earth (outside Scientology or Flying Spagetti Monsteranity)

Still though.
2 stars for religious intolerance?
tisk tisk.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Funny...

The same government who is throwing a fit over PressTV being yanked off western media outlets.

I love it when Iran bitches about freedoms while at the same time refusing it to their own people at home.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by notasdumbasyou

Religious tolerance does not mean one has to let you put up statues. Do you even think before you spout your trash?

It does.
This isn't a government won't make a giant Buddha statue in their town center..this is you can't buy one and have it in your home law.

Under the constitution, Christian and Jewish beliefs as well as Zoroastrianism are recognized beside Islam, the official religion of the country. The law, however, says that, in general, the rights of all non-Muslims should be observed.

Some Islamists do not support production of any statue, since they view it as a way to promote idols.

In 2010, several statues depicted prominent Iranians, disappeared from Tehran city's streets and squares. Their disappearance was blamed on an unnamed group with a strict interpretation of Islam that bans the depiction of the human form in art

If you can't see how this infringes on your personal (not your, unless your in iran, but general your) rights and persuits of free speech, religion, and liberty, then you are indeed very narrow..or perhaps part of some fringe silence group that loves bullying people into thought control.

Would you go to your neighbors house and demand they remove all their crosses because it goes against -your- religion, then say its not religious suppression and persecution?

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

You forget that the US and UK paid for, and arranged, a coup d'etat that overthrew a democratically elected government in Iran in 1953 to stop them from nationalising their oil.......and you want to speak of why the situation is the way it is now!!!!!

Why do you think the Arab spring has happened? People's freedom? Oh please....You are blind if you think that this isn't coordinated by the west...and the same is happening to Iran.

Can I then ask you.....Why is Saudi Arabia given a free ride? They can pass go, they can collect $200.00? It's because they're in the US back pocket....

You need to bring down your own government before you point the finger at others. The double standards people show on this forum astounds me sometimes!!!

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Do you know anything about Buddhism. They do not need idols to worship, They can manage just fine being Buddhists without them.

1 - I already posted a link showing what the buddah statues are used for in the religion.
2 - If people want the Buddah statues, they should be able to have them.
Who the heck do you think you are to say 'they can manage just fine without them'.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join