Iran confiscates Buddha statues to stop promotion of Buddhism

page: 12
15
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

log in

join

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Lucid Lunacy
 





Again, this is not about the 'correct' way to practice/interpret Buddhism. This is about religious tolerance, and discriminating against a Buddhist because that person is not practicing it 'correctly' is not religious tolerance.


Yes, I see your point.

What I'm trying to say is, I question the OP's motives and I'm skeptical about the professed desire for religious freedom in Iran.

But yes, Iranians should have religious freedoms. But often times points are brought up about Iran which have a strong element of hypocrisy considering U.S. actions and policy towards other such regimes in the region.




posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 01:19 PM
link   
This new incident only proves that the persian apostate leader Khamei is a moron.

Buddhism is a WAY OF LIFE, and NOT a religion. Destroying the statues will NEVER destroy the teachings of Buddha, as his doctrines are actually central tenets of mainstream religion.

Buddha NEVER claimed to be a god or anything else. The statues were only made by men who honor his teachings and not worshipping him as a god.

What absolute idiots Khameni and his flunkies are which such acts, only proving their ignorances, stupidity and misused religious inferiority if not insecurites.



posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 01:31 PM
link   
reply to post by SeekerofTruth101
 





What absolute idiots Khameni and his flunkies are which such acts, only proving their ignorances, stupidity and misused religious inferiority if not insecurites.


Well if that's so, such a statement can also be applied to other posters in this thread.



posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 01:33 PM
link   
I think people are not understanding whats going on here.

Muslims are buying these statues to use as decorations in their homes and have nothing to do with the teachings of Buddhism. To me, this is not a violation of religious freedom. In other words. If people were converting to Buddhism and the Iranian government started confiscating the statues then maybe there would be a valid argument here. This could be compared to a Western Government banning Garden Gnomes simply because religion or philosophy does not come into the equation in this case... How many of those Muslims do you think would be learning Buddhism? None.
edit on 19-2-2013 by DarknStormy because: (no reason given)



posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by DarknStormy
 

I understand that. It could be taken that way though. They might not even be doing it! We don't really know. We don't live there. I say the Iran should be as free to do what other countries are free to do. Live in peace and worry about themselves without the world police stepping in.



posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by superman2012
 


I read one of he articles which said that they are buying them as decorations. One lady said she didn't like the statues but her parents had 5 Buddhas in their home.. This has nothing to do with the teachings of Buddhism
Even if they are confiscating them, I don't see what the big issue is. One thing I did notice though was that every Media outlet has circulated the same story so I don't know how credible it is to start with either.
edit on 19-2-2013 by DarknStormy because: (no reason given)



posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by DarknStormy
 


Please don't get me wrong as I am staunchly pro-equality when it comes to nations. I am merely playing the devils advocate in this instance. I do not want to get into a Iran is right for this but wrong for that game because I have said/heard it all.

In this instance. Why are they taking it away? Leaving the decoration aspect aside as it is irrelevant to this discussion.

Edit: If this is in fact true...which I haven't seen proof of yet.
edit on 19-2-2013 by superman2012 because: (no reason given)



posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kram09
I was merely remarking upon the pattern of the OP's threads.


Originally posted by Kram09
I question the OP's motives and I'm skeptical about the professed desire for religious freedom in Iran.


I am not the subject of the thread ...

The SUBJECT IS - Iran Confiscates Buddha Statues To Stop Promotion of Buddhism.
That's the title of the articles and that's the title of the thread.
It comes from AP .. ASSOCIATED PRESS .. out of Tehran.

As I said at the very beginning ... The laws in Iran call for religious tolerance and freedom. However, what is put into practice is sometimes very different. And this is a case of how different it is. This is simply a story from Associated Press about how Iran is 'cleansing' out statues of Buddha from Tehran which goes against the laws that are on the books in Iran. It's just that simple.

People just need to accept the truth of the matter .. that Iran, like other countries, doesn't always follow the laws that are on the books.



edit on 2/19/2013 by FlyersFan because: rearranged sentence



posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by superman2012
 


Who knows, maybe they feel its an insult to Buddhism.. hehe



posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by superman2012
That's why, in my opinion all organized religions, not peoples personal beliefs, are evil.

Common ground that we agree on. Most organized religions ... be it Catholic or Protestant or Seventh Day Adventist or Muslim or whatever ... can really get wrapped up in extremist positions that are more harmful for their followers than anything else.

(Although I might give the wiccans a free pass on that. 'harm ye none'. The only 'organized' religion out there that, as far as I know, is totally peaceful )



posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Kram09
 


But yes, Iranians should have religious freedoms. But often times points are brought up about Iran which have a strong element of hypocrisy considering U.S. actions and policy towards other such regimes in the region.

I certainly wouldn't argue that. Nor would I compare the US to other countries in such a way as to be dismissive of all the corruption in my homeland. I also don't know enough about Iran in general to know if they are largely intolerant of other religions. I will say I am strongly against Islam, but I am anti-theistic in general. Still, as pertains to the OP, this seems like a fairly obvious breach towards their own rules on religious tolerance, motives for thread aside.



posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
(Although I might give the wiccans a free pass on that. 'harm ye none'. The only 'organized' religion out there that, as far as I know, is totally peaceful )

The Jainists go as far as covering their mouths in cloth to prevent accidently inhaling bugs.



Jainism, traditionally known as Jaina dharma, is an Indian religion that prescribes a path of non-violence towards all living beings. It is one of the oldest religions of the world finding its roots in ancient India. Tradition says that this belief has been preached by a succession of twenty-four propagators of faith known as tirthankara. Jainism emphasises spiritual independence and equality between all forms of life. Practitioners of this religion believe that non-violence and self-control is the means by which they can obtain liberation from the cycle of reincarnations.


edit on 19-2-2013 by Lucid Lunacy because: (no reason given)



posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by mideast

Originally posted by FlyersFan
We've had Iranian government puppets on this site previously.
I'm sure it won't be the last time.


I am 100% sure that the only one who can help a deluded person is himself.

You think that you are that important ? That some Iranian is putting time and effort to convince you ?

Think again.

I will not respond to you posts as much as it is needed.


In Iran there is only a certain amount of people allowed to use the internet. They have to be of the party faithful or be heavily monitored. Also they tend to go along and check after them to make sure they are not speaking badly against the homeland as well. It does not surprise me to see iranians defending them. It must really suck to be monitored and having to bite their tongues for those who are allowed to use the net.
edit on 19-2-2013 by yuppa because: changed soem type



posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 11:41 PM
link   
reply to post by yuppa
 


Well I don't know where you getting your information from but Iranians are 2nd only to Israel when it comes to internet usage in the Middle East.


Internet censorship in Iran has been increasing. In the first few years of the 21st century, Iran experienced a great surge in Internet usage, and, with 20 million people on the Internet, currently has the second highest percentage of its population online in the Middle East, after Israel.[1] When initially introduced, the Internet services provided by the government within Iran were comparatively open.


I'm sure censorship or internet availability is much worse in other Middle Eastern countries. Roughly 1/4 of Iran have internet access and I don't see what the big deal is either.



posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 12:36 AM
link   
Iran is heavily censoring the Internet and also appears to be monitoring communications for political dissent.

Here is a link from the Guardian

How Iran is filtering out dissent: The regime reacted slowly to the election protests but its censorship of the internet is very advanced

Here is a Wikipedia article

Internet censorship in Iran


The software effectively blocks access to most pornographic sites, gay and lesbian sites, reformist political sites, news media, sites that provide tools to help users cloak their Internet identity, and other sites nebulously defined as immoral on various grounds.

Iran has been accused by its critics of censoring more Internet sites than any other nation except China.

According to the American newspaper Washington Times, Iran is using lawful intercept capabilities of telecommunications system to monitor communications by political dissidents on the Internet.

Internet censorship in Iran


edit on 20-2-2013 by ollncasino because: (no reason given)



posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 02:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by yuppa

Originally posted by mideast

Originally posted by FlyersFan
We've had Iranian government puppets on this site previously.
I'm sure it won't be the last time.


I am 100% sure that the only one who can help a deluded person is himself.

You think that you are that important ? That some Iranian is putting time and effort to convince you ?

Think again.

I will not respond to you posts as much as it is needed.


In Iran there is only a certain amount of people allowed to use the internet. They have to be of the party faithful or be heavily monitored. Also they tend to go along and check after them to make sure they are not speaking badly against the homeland as well. It does not surprise me to see iranians defending them. It must really suck to be monitored and having to bite their tongues for those who are allowed to use the net.
edit on 19-2-2013 by yuppa because: changed soem type


Maybe your right (sarcasm)

But I am sure in the country where you live they just allow the most ignorant to access the internet.

How do you know about Iran ? And how comes you are so sure ?
edit on 20-2-2013 by mideast because:




posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 02:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by DarknStormy
I think people are not understanding whats going on here.

Muslims are buying these statues to use as decorations in their homes and have nothing to do with the teachings of Buddhism. To me, this is not a violation of religious freedom. In other words. If people were converting to Buddhism and the Iranian government started confiscating the statues then maybe there would be a valid argument here. This could be compared to a Western Government banning Garden Gnomes simply because religion or philosophy does not come into the equation in this case... How many of those Muslims do you think would be learning Buddhism? None.
edit on 19-2-2013 by DarknStormy because: (no reason given)


exactly.

But haters want to find their own ways.



posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 02:26 AM
link   
Muhammad's (pbuh) first step was to destroy the idols which were stored in Kaba (the cube which Muslims circle around.)

He did what ecactly other prophets would have done in that place.

So , Iranian govt is stopping people from worshiping idols.

And those who have problem with that , would have problem with Moses who destroyed the golden cow statue.

And those who have that kinds of problems are unbelievers and they should know it.



posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 02:32 AM
link   
reply to post by mideast
 


But I am sure in the country where you live they allow the most ignorant to access the internet.


I would wish every country to allow their most ignorant people to access the Internet.......

If not for freedom, a chance the Internet could provide a way of educating the ignorant.



posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 02:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lucid Lunacy
reply to post by mideast
 


But I am sure in the country where you live they allow the most ignorant to access the internet.


I would wish every country to allow their most ignorant people to access the Internet.......

If not for freedom, a chance the Internet could provide a way of educating the ignorant.


You are right but as long as the ignorant plan to learn.

The ignorant who already know it all , will learn nothing.

I am pretty sure that ignorant have access to the internet in many countries because internet is a good mean to waste time.
edit on 20-2-2013 by mideast because: (no reason given)





new topics
 
15
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

log in

join