It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Quit! The Forced Slavery of America

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by kaylaluv

I'm scared of our government because the founding fathers of this country told me to be scared of our government. There simply is no other reason. I take head and respect those smarter than I because I know they knew better. And I also know that freedom and liberty is not something shared kindly in our history as a species.

All Government, even good Government is evil. These are the teachings of our founders.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by nomnom

So your parents were cogs in the wheel and you got funneled up to 15/hr?

Your post contradicts itself.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by frazzle
reply to post by kaylaluv

Like I said, Somalia is and has always been a miserable place to live, because they don't have a stable government system set in place. So if you want to live in a country that has no government set up to protect you, go move to Somalia.

Besides, YOU don't have a stable government set in place to protect you, either. Get outta line, they can dump your fanny in jail and throw the key away. They can drone you, too, just because they said so. Hmmmm, I think there's a word for that .....

Yeah, it's a real warzone in my suburb right now. Bombs dropping everywhere - everyone is being thrown in jail for no reason...

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by spqrenki
reply to post by nomnom

So your parents were cogs in the wheel and you got funneled up to 15/hr?

My father owns his own company, and my mother is the executive vice president with part ownership.

I'm starting a job at $15 an hour with a GED, and no work experience on the books.

The key to being a slave, is believing in the concept and rule by others.

I have no debt, excellent credit, and no criminal record.

No slave here.

edit on 17-2-2013 by nomnom because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by spqrenki

We have exploitation, not slavery. It's not the same thing. Exploitation is the road to slavery, but it's not slavery until it's slavery. Since I consider it impossible to not have some form of exploitation in our system then one cannot say definitely that there's no slavery. First it has to be defined at which point on the road (of exploitation) is slavery present? How do we know? Well, your supplied definition offers some guidance, but as is apparent by your argument, one can twist it to suit their objective. I will observe that it's the democratic attempt to define slavery that's the most complete. Thus, only the democratic summation is worthy of our attention. Your definition is only your own.

When is someone liberal? This is another example of this sliding gradiant. Some might call it a slippery slope. But what it really is is not a 0 or 1 measurement, but a range of values between 0 and 1 that's subject to democratic inquiry. We only need to define liberal as a point between 0 and 1.

Most things in life are not black and white. They're in-between.
edit on 17-2-2013 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by nomnom

And how long ago did they leave with $200 in their back pocket? I'm not trying to insult you here, but I don't think you grasp the intention of the thread. I'm not saying that working is slavery nor that anyone should be given anything. The only thing I'm saying is that Government needs to get the hell out of the way. That is literally my entire original post boiled down.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 11:34 AM
link   

You lie by exaggeration and omission on more than a couple of instances in the OP.

I don't buy your nonsense. Others may. Let them become your slaves.

No slave here.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Thanks for responding, we will agree to disagree.

Nothing about where I am right now is lucky. I am at year 18 of my career working for the 4th different company in the 4th different industry but using the same or a similar skill set at all of them. My current job, where I have been for 2 years, was a mixture of hard work and skills acquired over the past 18 years. Where I will agree is that to an extent i was lucky to get the very first job in my chosen field. I was young , no experience with an empty resume though I had the basics of my skills then. Someone believed in me enough to get me started on the path I am on so at that point, their was a certain amount of luck.

I am sorry for those that are stuck in a grind type job, unless that is what they are happy with. For some people that would be ok and all it took to make them happy.

As for the person that tried to spin all the things I listed as positives into forms of slavery. So be it, your not going to change my mind and I am clearly not going to change yours. You can imply I'm a slave to big business and over the course of those 18 years of my career I might have been having worked for a sales company, defense industry and debt collectionCRM. Currently i work for a health care system which ultimately does something wonderful for sick children. If that's being a slave then I am 100% content going to work every day, being a slave and doing my part to contribute to saving someones life.

Seeing the OPs latest response we might be on the same page there. Obviously when doing well its easier to say the govt is not screwing with me as much as if my life was in a different place. So like you said the govt should stay out of everyons life as much as possible, I can support that but it's a lot different then claiming modern slavery.
edit on 17-2-2013 by opethPA because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by nomnom

The fear of becoming a slave overpowers the reality of being a slave.

If you have nothing more to say, kindly move on.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 11:36 AM
link   

reply to post by nomnom

The fear of becoming a slave overpowers the reality of being a slave.

This is circular reasoning.

If you have nothing more to say, kindly move on.

I will choose not to call out each instance of lie you present in the OP, and move on.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by opethPA

If you're constantly improving your situation with the potential of one day owning your own business, I honestly don't see a problem with it. If you're still at the same job 20 years later with no improvement, you're being used. But even in those situations, we shouldn't need Government to tell us when to leave our job. As I said, Government needs to move out of the way. If it did, we'd not only see jobs return, but also job creation by those literally being held back by big Government.

I'm glad you had the opportunity you did. It's rare now a days.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 11:43 AM
link   

reply to post by opethPA

If you're constantly improving your situation with the potential of one day owning your own business, I honestly don't see a problem with it. If you're still at the same job 20 years later with no improvement, you're being used. But even in those situations, we shouldn't need Government to tell us when to leave our job. As I said, Government needs to move out of the way. If it did, we'd not only see jobs return, but also job creation by those literally being held back by big Government.

I'm glad you had the opportunity you did. It's rare now a days.

I can't really say I am looking to own my own business one day. Doing what I do works better when their is big money behind it so things can get done correctly. Each my positions has been an improvement building off the past and I expect that to continue over the course of my career.

My goal is to make enough money to become financially sound so I can stop working, move to Bozeman MT and wander around Yellowstone taking pictures!

YOu and I are on the same page though when it comes to Govt and jobs.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 11:44 AM
link   
I don't normally reply before reading the whole thread and i'm not American. But this same

old rhetoric keeps getting churned up, so here goes my 2 pence worth.

# 1...A slave is owned and only gets their keep and shelter (standards of both by

virtue of their owner)

# 2...A servant (worker) is paid for the service they provide - and if they don't like

the conditions they are free to take their service's elsewhere. So that makes them

free and the sole judge of their own value!! ie. the better their work is the more

they can demand!

When I was 18 years old there were NO safety nets like there are today. If you left or lost

your job you were penniless!
...And when I was 14 years old and ill I could hear my parents

discussing whether to call out the Dr., as every visit and call out had to be paid for.

I have read many threads of this nature on ATS and I have come to the conclusion that we

have an 'entitlement' generation, who the more they get the more 'entitled' they become.

Who ever said Life was fair?? It's not.....Get used to it.

And if you don't like it.....Do something about it yourself!!!

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by eletheia

Right, and I completely agree. But the problem I see is, unless you find a job, there is nothing you can do about it. I'm talking about opportunity regardless of how hard it may be. This generation, entitled or not, has less opportunity than the prior generation. Like I said in my OP, there used to be a time in American when you could get off the boat and not even speak English and start your own business the next day. That was the American dream. Government has made that impossible.

My grandparents were immigrants. So when I listened to by grand dad talk about pushing a cart full of produce around to start up his business, I believed him. That opportunity does not exist today. You either work for someone or you sit on the street. The fact is, unless you were born into wealth, or have already slaved your life away for someone else for 20 years, you're not opening a business in America. That is the point and the problem.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Let me kindly simplify this whole mess.

We're slaves to reality, not to other people.

It's tied to ignorance and finiteness. Ignorance exists because of finiteness. Finite resources force us to compete and to make quick (even impulse) decisions. Communication (or information transport) is limited to light-speed. Quantum fluctuations prevent discrete knowledge of the subatomic world and thus prevent perfect predictions of the future or of areas outside our domain. So no matter what we learn and for however long, it will remain limited. Unknown shall always exist. And so our conscience can only know so much at any one time. This also applies to our species. Because there're gaps in our knowledge, we will always make mistakes. We will always suffer some form of disaster.

We're also a vast collection of trillions of human cells and several times more non-human. We may believe we control our conscience, but it must exist synchronous with the body.

Nobody chooses their genetics or where they're born and the myriad circumstances that occur immediately after; whether you're born into famine or abuse or disaster or war or into bounty and surplus. If you're born into war, you will likely either leave the country or become anti-war or become a soldier or strive to help your country survive it. If you're born into famine you will know what it's to be thirsty. If you're born into bounty you will receive lots of education and you're likely to have less children. If you're born into poverty, you're less likely to develop a higher education. I don't think I have to sit here and list all of the variables. It's true that a person can mold their life if they try hard, but it's also true that statistically people tend to either fail or succeed depending on the circumstances, many of which are outside our control; thus, make lemonade from lemons.

We will always struggle and fight to survive as a civilization and as a species. Thus, one can argue that we're a slave to our nature, to our universe, to our reality, to our circumstances.
edit on 17-2-2013 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 11:52 AM
link   
I don't have a problem with working or contributing to a community through the taxes I pay. If that improves the overall life experience for others, great. The real problem is that it's all propped up by what we have been trained to believe in. The all mighty dollar. It's value is not based on anything real yet we strive for it to give purpose and support to our lives. It's a tool used by it's inventors to gain an advantage over others.

The video is called Financial Crime and deals with predatory capitalism.

edit on 17-2-2013 by starshift because: video description

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by RagnarDanniskjold

And you could have died of food poisoning before you were able to get it onto

the internet!

link   
reply to post by eletheia

The definition of slavery. By the literal definition, we are not really free.

1 : drudgery, toil. ( dead end, low paying jobs.)

2: submission to a dominating influence. ( Big government trying to control us) .

a : the state of a person who is a chattel of another
b : the practice of slaveholding

link   
reply to post by jonnywhite

Yes but one issue can be solved and the other (your point) cannot. We can have smaller Government like our founders told us and bring jobs back to America. We can fix our country and bring it back to the high standard that it used to be. Education on the other hand only goes so far. Which is why we must continue to reteach every generation. These are apples and oranges simply because there are solutions to one problem and not to the other.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 12:02 PM
link   

There are leaders and there are followers and a large majority of the population are followers.

I'm scared of our government because the founding fathers of this country told me to be scared of our government.

Doesn't sound like something a "leader" thinks or says... A leader is neither scared into thinking he's a victim nor feels scared because someone else told him to be.

If you enjoy your job, congratulations, but for every one person that actually enjoys their job, there are 10 others that dread waking up in the morning and going back to that same garbage, day after day, year after year.

And for those 10 people who keep doing the same thing day in and day out, even though they HATE it, it's the government's fault? :shk: Jesus, do you hear what you're saying?

Those who are followers will never see an issue with my original post.

Don't you feel like something special to make the proclamation that everyone who disagrees with you is wrong and a "follower"? My original observation stands. You are a victim of your circumstances and don't have what it takes to change your own life and therefore look outside yourself for someone else to blame. How can you call yourself a leader? It's baffling.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join