It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rare mass rally over Singapore immigration plans

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Echtelion

So why don't you try taking back the "pains and cries" to those super rich leaders, instead of pointing the finger at the immigrants and immigration.

Because mass immigration directly harms the negotiating position of the poor and middle class laborers with the rich capitalists. It brings more unemployment and lowers wages (more workers and bigger reserve army of labor = individual worker has lower value). Hence why the rich elites support it - it benefits them, at the expense of working class.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 10:47 AM
link   
It's not just a Singapore thing. It's a problem in all developed parts of the world.

I have reasons to suspect the birth rate thing in developed countries is tied to economics. If all was left alone, it would eventually stabilize at a sustainable level. The decline in birthrate is a reflection of people adjusting the number of children they have in reflection of their potential for economic success. (By sucess I don't mean being rich, but living at or somewhere above the economic level of their parents.) The other part of this has to do with education, because once people have enough of it - they realize what adjustments need to be made.

Or to sum it up in one sentence, once the job market turns from being employee friendly to employer friendly - the birthrate stagnates or drops.

Of course governments and large businesses don't like this. They want a growing population because by forcing job competition within the population they can drive wages downward for the working class. (For them it's best if everyone not in their club is at borderline poverty and scrambling to make a buck.) If birthrate can't be kept high, guess what other mechanism they can use to push the labor market to further their particular adgenda?

And no, I'm not against immigration. There is a certain level which is good, and mixes things up to prevent stagnation. (Also nothing against people trying to better themselves or wanting a change of scenery.) But it can also be pushed in a way which is only to put pressure on the economy which wouldn't be there otherwise, and is definitely a tool of market manipulation.

Some would then argue that people will make new businesses when faced with this kind of competition. But that also happens to be rather difficult when bureaucracy and regulation get in the way. Which happens to to exist by the truckload in economically developed countries. Some regulations do make sense and are necessary from a health, safety, or environmental aspect, but unrelated things like business licensing, legal liability, or tax code that heavily discourage the creation of new business. It's not exactly the free market some folks would like to hype.

Also guess what happens once these immigrants settle in, get educated, and realize how the labor market works? The suceeding generations then have less children. That should tell you something right there.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Maslo
reply to post by Echtelion

So why don't you try taking back the "pains and cries" to those super rich leaders, instead of pointing the finger at the immigrants and immigration.

Because mass immigration directly harms the negotiating position of the poor and middle class laborers with the rich capitalists. It brings more unemployment and lowers wages (more workers and bigger reserve army of labor = individual worker has lower value). Hence why the rich elites support it - it benefits them, at the expense of working class.

Taking in everyone, regardless of qualifications is insane.

I know so many people rave about how great the Canadian Health Care system is - well, let me tell you it isn't. Yes, having to get an operation won't bankrupt you - but enjoy your wait period to actually get to see a surgeon. I have a hiatus hernia - been waiting months and months, some days it hurts like hell just to get out of bed....my father need laser eye surgery to help with a complication of diabetes, had to wait so long by the time he actually got in it was too late, he is now legally blind.

Sorry for the ramble, but the reason for this? Our health care is over stretched because we have SO many people using health care, but not putting anything back into it. Tired of immigrants coming in and EXPECTING social programs, but have no means of giving anything back. We can not afford to look after the entire world.

It is harsh, is it mean? Am I racist, or a Xenophobe? I don't really care how you put it, but when you just OPEN the borders to anyone you might as well shoot yourself in the head.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by SeekerofTruth101

God damn I couldn't agree more. It gets tiresome repeating this all but thank the gods people like you still get it and don't tire so easily.

Keep the faith. Hold it down.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Man I am so sad to see this. But everything comes to a boiling point eventually. I spent 4 months there in the Summer of '11 for work. I absolutely loved it there. The people were fantastic. I didn't go around running my mouth about how we do things in the U.S. I believe that when in someone else's country, you abide by their rules and customs. If you show respect when you are the foreigner, you will be treated like a guest. In fact I had to jump on a few of the folks that went there with me about that. Must be where those people are from, the northeast. Damn yankees seem so intolerant...but that's another subject entirely...

Any way, I would love to live there, it is beautiful. And the weather is great IMHO, no winter EVER. But the main caveat, you have to be filthy rich to afford to live there in any sort of comfort. The cheapest car is like $65,000.00SGD for the crapiest Suzuki car you can buy! Even if I won the lottery, I wouldn't move there, just vacation there. So I do understand where the Singaporeans are coming from and I hope they get it solved. There is too much history on that Island to let it get washed down the toilet by governmental mismanagement. Hey wait...that sounds like America too!

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 06:42 PM
link   
All of you saying you will move in with someone.... Come move in with me I will have you screaming for asylum shortly after.

Seems to me like as usual the hate is misplaced and people continue to never talk about touching the untouchables.
edit on 18-2-2013 by votan because: (no reason given)

edit on 18-2-2013 by votan because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 02:41 AM
link   
reply to post by wisdomnotemotion

Hey.. Might be wrong time to ask.. but I was thinking of moving to sg and trying to get a job... I just read an article article that suggests there is a'chronic shortage' of junior lawyers in sg. Do you by any chance know if SG firms would (Or can) hire someone with Australian legal qualifications?

ta!

edit on 19-2-2013 by bigdohbeatdown because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2015 @ 07:56 AM
link   
Singapore is the country of immigrants. At first it was Chinese and Malaysians, today this are people

from all over the world. Immigrants built his country and continue doing this in our days. And

government creates best possible opportunities for expats to live and work in Singapore.

It should be noted that the possibility of emigration to Singapore is wide enough compared to other

similar jurisdictions.

Immigration to Singapore and the acquisition of Singapore citizenship are governed by two basic acts -

the Immigration Act 1959 and Employment of Foreign Manpower Act 1990.

In accordance with these regulations there are several ways to immigrate to Singapore.

The first way to exile is professional. In accordance with Article 2 of Employment of Foreign

Manpower Act with an employer who is interested in you a work permit is issued (work visa). According

to this document (which is strictly tied to a particular employer) you can enter Singapore to work and live

there, and in a year you can apply for a residence permit.

The second way is the acquisition of permanent residence for investment. However, the amount of

such investments is very significant - about several million Singapore dollars. In its application (the final

decision on it is adopted by Controller of Immigration) candidate may include family - spouse, children

under 21 (not married; also we must keep in mind that the boys who have received a residence permit and

are 16 years will be called to military service). Parents can also be included to application, but only by

making additional funds. For children over 21 years old (unmarried) separate applications are needed.

The third way is to register a company in Singapore, on this basis getting work permit is needed, and

in one year you apply for a residence permit.

To establish a company can any person, individually or jointly with others, by drafting and signing him

(them) the memorandum of association. Further, such person must submit:

- Memorandum and Articles of Association;

- Statutory Declaration of Compliance;

- Particulars of Shareholders, Directors, Secretaries, etc.;

- A copy of the identity document (passport) of directors and shareholders of Singaporean companies;

If the shareholder is a legal entity he must provide a copy of the certificate of registration and corporate

documents proving legal address, information about directors, shareholders and secretary;

- Address and office hours of the registered office;

- Consent to Act as Director and Statement of Non-disqualification to Act as Director;

- Consent to Act as Secretary.

As you can see the process of immigration to Singapore is pretty simple and it gives you great

opportunities for living and doing business in one of the most developed countries in the world.

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 03:26 AM
link   
Well, I've found some useful material, maybe it can helps

Singapore is the country of immigrants. At first it was Chinese and Malaysians, today this are people

from all over the world. Immigrants built his country and continue doing this in our days. And

government creates best possible opportunities for expats to live and work in Singapore.

It should be noted that the possibility of emigration to Singapore is wide enough compared to other

similar jurisdictions.

Immigration to Singapore and the acquisition of Singapore citizenship are governed by two basic acts -

the Immigration Act 1959 and Employment of Foreign Manpower Act 1990.

In accordance with these regulations there are several ways to immigrate to Singapore.

The first way to exile is professional. In accordance with Article 2 of Employment of Foreign

Manpower Act with an employer who is interested in you a work permit is issued (work visa). According

to this document (which is strictly tied to a particular employer) you can enter Singapore to work and live

there, and in a year you can apply for a residence permit.

The second way is the acquisition of permanent residence for investment. However, the amount of

such investments is very significant - about several million Singapore dollars. In its application (the final

decision on it is adopted by Controller of Immigration) candidate may include family - spouse, children

under 21 (not married; also we must keep in mind that the boys who have received a residence permit and

are 16 years will be called to military service). Parents can also be included to application, but only by

making additional funds. For children over 21 years old (unmarried) separate applications are needed.

The third way is to register a company in Singapore, on this basis getting work permit is needed, and

in one year you apply for a residence permit.

To establish a company can any person, individually or jointly with others, by drafting and signing him

(them) the memorandum of association. Further, such person must submit:

- Memorandum and Articles of Association;

- Statutory Declaration of Compliance;

- Particulars of Shareholders, Directors, Secretaries, etc.;

- A copy of the identity document (passport) of directors and shareholders of Singaporean companies;

If the shareholder is a legal entity he must provide a copy of the certificate of registration and corporate

documents proving legal address, information about directors, shareholders and secretary;

- Address and office hours of the registered office;

- Consent to Act as Director and Statement of Non-disqualification to Act as Director;

- Consent to Act as Secretary.

As you can see the process of immigration to Singapore is pretty simple and it gives you great

opportunities for living and doing business in one of the most developed countries in the world.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join