It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Terror level will NOT be raised.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2004 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Just in...

WASHINGTON � U.S. officials have decided against raising the nation's terror alert after two tapes surfaced this week, one from Usama bin Laden (search) and the other from a man who identified himself as "Azzam the American," sources told FOX News.

Homeland Security Secretary Tom Ridge and John Brennan, director of the Terrorist Threat Integration Center, will make the announcement Saturday at 3 p.m. EDT.

The terror alert level now stands at "yellow" � or elevated � for most of the country but officials earlier Saturday told FOX News they were considering an increase to "orange" � or high.

www.foxnews.com...

Looks like theres no need to panic. All hail Ridge.

Almost like holdinggun to someones head then laugh because its not loaded. Happy Halloween.

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 01:29 AM
link   
I'm sure Bush would love an Orange terror threat level. The more you scare people, the more they will back you to protect them. It would be an easy win.

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 01:33 AM
link   
It would really be a kick in the rear if something happened election day and it was post-poned. Bush would lose for sure after something like that. At least if it was raised he could of told people to be warned.

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 03:28 AM
link   
Another piece of evidence that an attack attempt in the future will happen and they will yet again not be prepared. The lack of concern and complacency in light of these tapes true or not shows it......When FEMA trained me in terrorism response they said all threats should be considered and responded to as real till definate proof is avail., but here they are doing the opposite right?....Not to mention they have quote a high degree of confidence OBL's tape is authentic......crazy

[edit on 31/10/2004 by drbryankkruta]

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 03:32 AM
link   
We're already at ELEVATED as it is.

I mean, really - Significant Risk of Attack?

For how many straight months now?

Can we say irrelevant?

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 03:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by quango
We're already at ELEVATED as it is.

I mean, really - Significant Risk of Attack?

For how many straight months now?

Can we say irrelevant?

Wrong its not irrelevant people are so accustome to the level now it doesnt bother them but if it is raised so shall the alertness of people as a whole to be on the look out for possible threats........While yes we all here say its high enough to cause concern , but what about those who dont understand it as we do. Also how are security measures supposed to be paid for to keep up the watchful eye during the elections if the funds are not released be Homeland Security and Congress and the President in the act of raising the threat level. And in the same manor I live next to an air force base you know those nice staggared formations of concrete barriers they wont be put in place in time to stop anything if these tapes of threats are going to be fullfilled during the next few days, as they seem to be released in time for the elections so as to say the elections shall be the target time.

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 12:37 PM
link   
So we should be in an even more panicked state based on a completely unspesific threat (if you can call it one)? How about we all wear bullet proof vests and gas masks 24/7? Where do we draw the line? The whole threat warning system is crap to begin with. Like I have said before, it's the same as when they made kids hide under desks during the cold war, as if it would help. Hysteria isn't going to help anyone, it's only going to hurt us. We could get hit by an asteroid too, why not panic about that too? I'm not buying into this whole panic level system. Oh, and when it has been on Orange for a long time and people become complacent at that level, do we raise it to red? I say drop the level system and get a real intelligence department, one that gets things right.

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by snoopy
So we should be in an even more panicked state based on a completely unspesific threat (if you can call it one)? How about we all wear bullet proof vests and gas masks 24/7? Where do we draw the line? The whole threat warning system is crap to begin with. Like I have said before, it's the same as when they made kids hide under desks during the cold war, as if it would help. Hysteria isn't going to help anyone, it's only going to hurt us. We could get hit by an asteroid too, why not panic about that too? I'm not buying into this whole panic level system. Oh, and when it has been on Orange for a long time and people become complacent at that level, do we raise it to red? I say drop the level system and get a real intelligence department, one that gets things right.

Not elevated panic, but elevated awareness and preparation is key to our survival.

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Does anybody think for a minute that the terror alert level would be raised right BEFORE the election? That would make it bad for Bush and make it look like he isn't "winning" the war on terror!!

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jalengrma
Does anybody think for a minute that the terror alert level would be raised right BEFORE the election? That would make it bad for Bush and make it look like he isn't "winning" the war on terror!!

I think far worse of him for his inaction myself, and let me tell you this if something slips thru because of his inaction me and my fellow action commity members in the clergy will not stop till we successfully petition for a congressional hearing where in we will fight for the removal of this man from any and all leadership or govermental roles for the rest of his life.

And we are not alone other groups of people have our same views

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Elevated awareness? I think that 9/11 elevated our awareness to terrorism more than enough. I can understand that law enforcement officials need to have an alert system, but what does an orange alert mean to me or anyone in the general population? Should I carry my gas mask in my purse? Should I cover my windows with plastic wrap? Should I wear a helmet? Should I curl up in the fetal position under my bed?

Whether intentional or not, the terror alert system is the equivalent of terrorism. Terrorists don't even need to attack--raising the terror alert level has nearly the same impact. At the mere mention of a potential life-threatening event, the population becomes nervous and anxiety-ridden. People stay in their homes, cancel vacations, and don't sleep at night. And this happens every couple of months. The roller-coaster of fear that Americans have been subjected to since 9/11--not only from terrorists, but also from our government, and the media, has indelibly changed our way of life.

Instead of trying to comfort and ease the tension of the potential of impending terrorism, the government has subjected us non-specific warnings that we could die and an impractical system to deal with impending terrorism. Instead of educating the population how to protect itself and giving us clear instructions when alert levels are raised, we are given no direction--just messages that imply that we could die at any time. Even more confusing is that even though we are told that the spector of death is hanging over our heads, we are urged to "be vigilant" (whatever that means), and go to work in the very buildings that could be blown up and go shopping as if nothing is wrong. I don't know about you, but if I might die soon, I certainly don't want to spend what are potentially my last moments on Earth at work or shopping. I need to be with my family and head in the opposite direction of where the danger is (as if I knew where that was.) Of course, if I am told every 6 to 8 weeks that I might die, packing up the family, survival gear, gallons of water and bugging out gets a little old.

Even more egregiously irresponsible is the media, who has seized upon potential terrorism as a means for getting ratings, bombarding us with stories that warn of death and destruction constantly. Even unsubstantiated rumors are reported ad naseum, but sadly, the effect is the same--terrorism in the news 24 hours a day. It doesn't matter if the story is "The terror alert won't be raised." The fact that terror is in the news is enough to remind people that we are vulnerable and life is cheap in post-9/11 America.

I am confused when I see that people are eager to hear whether or not the terror alert is raised because they want to know if they need to protect their family or they want to be "more aware." How can you protect yourself or your family if you don't know what you are protecting yourself from? Does anyone actually do anything other than worry when the terror alert is raised? Honestly, the terror alert has been at orange in New York City for months, life hasn't been any different. Unless the alerts are actionable for the general population--meaning we have to take an iodine pill, put on a gas mask, or even be told that we might have to evacuate, it really is just a call to look out for the bogeyman.

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jalengrma

I have heard the Possibility of raising it tomorrow, is much greater than not. Whatever that means. They probably will just to be on the safe side, whatever that is. Hmm Im pretty confidant tonight huh...

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by lmgnyc
Should I wear a helmet?

This is the funniest thing I have seen tonight, so far

You are absolutely correct, excellent post.

posted on Nov, 1 2004 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Raising the level of BS. Exactly, what should we do? Only thing we can do is be more fearful. Stop living and hide in our homes (as if the economy isn't bad enough) There will always be some kind of threat and we are already aware of that. ;-)

top topics

join