It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MARS: Interesting Pattern on Rock

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 02:44 AM
link   
Hey ATS, I was checking out this panorama from the Curiosity Rover and found this interesting rock with a pattern on it. It just jumped out at me, reminded me of something I'd seen on those underwater ocean life documentaries on Discovery (maybe coral).

Anyone's guess is as good as mine, I just wanted to share and read your comments.

Have at it ATS...

Link to Original (Was Posted by Another Member)

Here are some pics, sorry, I only have MSpaint to work with...

-.. --- -.-- --- ..- ... . . .. - ..--..

edit on 17-2-2013 by totalperdition because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 02:53 AM
link   
I think the pattern you're seeing is due to heavy zooming. I see similar shading on the ground right next to it.

Now, as far as that larger split, that's interesting.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 02:57 AM
link   
Erosion? Perhaps it supports the idea of water once existing on mars?

There are some pretty interesting patterns on rocks and walls here on earth in some of the most isolated spots.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 02:58 AM
link   
reply to post by DaTroof

The larger split seems to be an artifact of the patched framework of the panorama, although I've only seen it in one other part of this particular panorama before. There may be more, I haven't gone through all of it yet.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 03:02 AM
link   
It is an odd shaped rock.. But as humans we can make patterns out of anything. I even see an eye on the front piece of it.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 03:02 AM
link   
reply to post by DaTroof

Perhaps, I wish we had a higher resolution image.

2nd

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 03:12 AM
link   
Ah! Here's what it sort of reminded me of...Brain Coral

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 07:56 AM
link   
reply to post by totalperdition

Yes, I see it.

The pattern was made slightly different by the zooming in and the JPEG artefacts, but it's there in the original image.

Some of those rocks appear to have patterns on the faces that resulted from the rock splitting in two, maybe that's the case, and if it is then it's a result of the type of rock.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

Cool, thanks for paying attention and checking out the original.
2nd

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 05:21 PM
link   
hehehe this is why i decided not to post when this thread was new

i thought too its probably a artifact to due to zooming or what ever...

if you look at any picture of the moon, even on wikipedia, zoom in, the artifacts are crazy, it looks like they've got some tube system for transportation, full of mazes, but its probably just artifacts, like this. :\

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 05:36 PM
link   

omg not this crap again...

OP think of all the awesome things you could do if you didn't spend your time over analyzing pixelated artifacts.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 05:36 PM
link   
double post - delete

edit on 2/17/2013 by VonDoomen because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 01:34 AM
link   
reply to post by VonDoomen

Yeah I think about that stuff all the time, unfortunaltley socio-economically induced cognitive dissonance is a real b***h to deal with. I suppose we're all dealing with it, whether we realize it or not. Regardless, what's with the personal attacks dude?

Pretty apparent by your reply that you really weren't paying attention. So far the only person that can really see anything is the mod named ArMaP, and the others never had the oppertunity, but you did.

To each his own I suppose...you shall be ignored from this post on, thanks for your opinion but the personal attack was unwarranted.
edit on 18-2-2013 by totalperdition because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 06:53 AM
link   

Dont consider it an attack.

Think of it as morpheus giving you the choice between the red pill and the blue pill.

If you take the blue pill, you will wake up tomorrow, forget I ever said anything, and you can continue looking for something that, Im sorry to inform you, is not there.

Or, you can take the red pill, and wake up to the true nature of reality. A reality that is in decay and needs all the help it can get.

I am just suggesting you do something more positive and worthwhile with your time.

In computer graphics, pixelation is caused by displaying a bitmap or a section of a bitmap at such a large size that individual pixels, small single-colored square display elements that comprise the bitmap, are visible.

A compression artifact is a noticeable distortion of media caused by the application of lossy data compression. Lossy data compression involves discarding some of the media's data so that it becomes simplified enough to be stored within the desired disk space. If the compressor could not reproduce enough data in the compressed version to reproduce the original, the result is a diminishing of quality, or introduction of artifacts. Alternatively, the compression algorithm may not be intelligent enough to discriminate between distortions of little subjective importance and those objectionable to the viewer.

join