It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Poor Dog !!!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 11:13 PM
link   
This is no conspiracy, it is just an unfortunate event that happened tonight...

As might be apparent, we own a ranch, a cattle ranch. Cows need hay, and lot's of it. Over the past two years in the western United States we've been experiencing a tremendous drought. Hay is rare, and expensive. I digress.

Tonight, my wife was out getting some hay for the cows. Her and her best friend went out to get a bale off the stack and take it to the cows. My wife knows how to run the skid (skidsteer loader). On this particular occasion there were some pallets in front of the stack (from earler hay) that were blocking her way from getting the skid up to the hay stack. So, her and her friend pulled the pallets away from the front so she could spear the hay bale (these are 4x4x8 foot bales...900+ lbs.). When they pulled the older pallets from below the bottom bales shifted (and tilted) forwards. The top bales rolled off and fell.

Fortunately, my wife and her friend were able to get out of the way, but my (other) best friend, hunting dog and soul mate Labrador, Shelby, was not. The bale fell right on top of her! It smashed her flat like a pancake.

I was off in a different pasture dealing with the bulls, so I didn't see it happen. My wife's friend came running over and said that a bale had fallen on Shelby. I was instantly in shock, like I didn't even believe what she was saying. She said Shelby was still trapped under the bale...I took off running.

Now we've all heard about people doing super-human things under extreme stress, right? By the time I got up to the other corral, my wife had, unbelievably, rolled the big square bale off the dog (don't even want to know how she did it). Shelby was down, and obviously injured, but like any Lab she didn't want to let on she was hurt. Trooper that she is, she got up, limping badly and came over to me wagging her tail (breaks my heart!).

As soon as I got to her (Shelby), I put my arms around her and she crumbled into my arms, unable to stand. I carried her into the house and called our large animal vet. We went through the triage symptoms, Shelby wasn't dying (gums, breathing, temps), thank GOD!! I was beside myself.

Vet ramped up and offered to come to the clinic and give her a CAT scan, but suggested we just watch her. We had some doggie pain-killer meds from when Shel got bitten by a rattlesnake earlier this past year, so we gave her some of those and she's resting. Very sore, alive, but resting. Vet is standing by, and calling every two hours for developments.

Good grief, I've had dogs get stomped by cows...and this one just rips my heart out!! I just love this dog more than anything I can even say!

My Poor Dog.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 11:22 PM
link   
So happy for you and Shelby...

People have to understand that dogs are people too.
Actually most are better than a lot of 2 legged animals out there.

That's why we love them so much.

I'm still pulling for the Animals/Pets forum because Shelby deserves more than "General Chit Chat"
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Peace

edit on 16-2-2013 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 11:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Flyingclaydisk

Damm you why you gotta make me wanna cry? I just lost my 13 year old german shepard last week to heart disease

I hope your pup makes it man

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 11:56 PM
link   
I hope your family member gets through this OK. I know first hand how hard it is to see a family pet suffering. My thoughts are with you.

I hope that your wife does not harbor any guilt, it is obvious that she had nothing to do with the circumstances that caused this accident.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 11:57 PM
link   
My goodness!
I'm happy that the dog survived that and that you didn't lose your best friend. It's hard seeing our companions hurt but I'm sure she'll make a speedy recovery and i give my best of wishes to the both of you. I lost a canine companion back in May to cancer and it was one of the hardest things I've ever been through. We'd gotten tumors removed but nothing helped and we could tell it had spread to her digestive tract because of changes in habits etc. Well, I found her one night in a complete pool of blood that came from her well... Digestive tract and she was still lying there alive, bleeding out. My mother and I cleaned up the blood and cleaned her up and then knew that she wasn't going to make it through the night so we wrapped a blanket around her and got her something soft to lie her head on. We tried to make her drink some water but she wouldn't take it. I sat out iwth her for hours petting her telling her I was sorry that we couldn't stop that from happening and that I loved her. Before I went inside and ended seeing her alive for the last time, I shook her paw because she always preferred that to show affection and then I kissed her and went in. I of course went out the next morning and saw her lying cold and stiff.
I pet her body for a while crying and then covered her completely with the blanket and went inside.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 12:29 AM
link   
SO glad your dog is ok! I am a huge animal lover and would be crushed if your incident ended up killing your poor dog!

I love you for loving dogs!

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 12:30 AM
link   
star and flag to a fellow Labby!

I hope your dear Shelby pulls through, as I'm still hurt over the untimely passing of my dear Pooter.

All the best,

Toast

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 01:11 AM
link   
Glad to hear shes making it. My two dogs are family some times just pondering during the day i think if there was a fire i would probably grab my dog instead of the girl friend .lol

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 01:34 AM
link   
ATS is such a big place, I'm sure it's hard for anyone to identify with one single dog even if it is a Labrador.

I'm sorry for singling out one animal, one 'person', but she's important to me. Yeah, I'm a tough guy; I get kicked, splooged on and eat dust (daily). However, there are certain elements of my family who are very important and the Labrador named Shelby is one of them. Perhaps it's a soft spot..

In any case, thank you all for the good wishes.

FWIW...I took (helped) Shelly outside and she did her business (no blood). I'm elated (and I go in corrals with bulls)!!

Thanks, all!

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 01:34 AM
link   

Good thing that doggie seems to be ok.
I understand what a real best buddy is, mine are on the left.
Hope your doggie turns out all well.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 01:41 AM
link   

Shelby

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 01:52 AM
link   
Right with you
My first heartbreak was when Charlie had to be put down.
That was 31 years ago and he's still fresh in my mind as a puppy.What a little character he was

Anyway hope all goes well and a tummy rub for shelby from me

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 02:02 AM
link   

ATS is such a big place, I'm sure it's hard for anyone to identify with one single dog even if it is a Labrador. I'm sorry for singling out one animal

It's because ATS has such a large heart that we can all identify with one dog.
No need to apologize for sharing your worry and pain. Quite the opposite, our day is just starting and your thread put life into perspective again.
Thanks for sharing
Again good vibes to shelby

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 03:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Flyingclaydisk
I took (helped) Shelly outside and she did her business (no blood)

Wonderful news - fingers and toes crossed that means she's just gotten badly bruised... and that she'll be back to her old self in no time. What a lucky girl.

How's your wife holding up? Her and her friend must have been so frantic and scared when it happened.

Best wishes to all of you, wonderful news that your best friend Shelby seems to be doing miraculously well.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 03:40 AM
link   
I sure hope Shelby continues to improve and escapes serious injury. I can imagine your shock and fear upon learning of this accident. Your best friend matters, be they two or four legged, ATS is like a family, it is right you share with us.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 09:15 AM
link   
What a story! As I read it, I didn't expect a good outcome, but I'm SO glad I was wrong. Please update with Shelby's condition often.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Flyingclaydisk
This is no conspiracy, it is just an unfortunate event that happened tonight...

As might be apparent, we own a ranch, a cattle ranch. Cows need hay, and lot's of it. Over the past two years in the western United States we've been experiencing a tremendous drought. Hay is rare, and expensive. I digress.

Tonight, my wife was out getting some hay for the cows. Her and her best friend went out to get a bale off the stack and take it to the cows. My wife knows how to run the skid (skidsteer loader). On this particular occasion there were some pallets in front of the stack (from earler hay) that were blocking her way from getting the skid up to the hay stack. So, her and her friend pulled the pallets away from the front so she could spear the hay bale (these are 4x4x8 foot bales...900+ lbs.). When they pulled the older pallets from below the bottom bales shifted (and tilted) forwards. The top bales rolled off and fell.

Fortunately, my wife and her friend were able to get out of the way, but my (other) best friend, hunting dog and soul mate Labrador, Shelby, was not. The bale fell right on top of her! It smashed her flat like a pancake.

I was off in a different pasture dealing with the bulls, so I didn't see it happen. My wife's friend came running over and said that a bale had fallen on Shelby. I was instantly in shock, like I didn't even believe what she was saying. She said Shelby was still trapped under the bale...I took off running.

Now we've all heard about people doing super-human things under extreme stress, right? By the time I got up to the other corral, my wife had, unbelievably, rolled the big square bale off the dog (don't even want to know how she did it). Shelby was down, and obviously injured, but like any Lab she didn't want to let on she was hurt. Trooper that she is, she got up, limping badly and came over to me wagging her tail (breaks my heart!).

As soon as I got to her (Shelby), I put my arms around her and she crumbled into my arms, unable to stand. I carried her into the house and called our large animal vet. We went through the triage symptoms, Shelby wasn't dying (gums, breathing, temps), thank GOD!! I was beside myself.

Vet ramped up and offered to come to the clinic and give her a CAT scan, but suggested we just watch her. We had some doggie pain-killer meds from when Shel got bitten by a rattlesnake earlier this past year, so we gave her some of those and she's resting. Very sore, alive, but resting. Vet is standing by, and calling every two hours for developments.

Good grief, I've had dogs get stomped by cows...and this one just rips my heart out!! I just love this dog more than anything I can even say!

My Poor Dog.

Wow.. that is terrible. My heart goes out to you. I hope she will hang in. I have had Labs for 10 years plus and have 2 right now. Your right they will not let you know at all if they are in Pain. They have to really be hurting to show any kind of injury. Take care and I hope she will be ok.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 09:36 AM
link   
I'm so very sorry your best friend, Shelby was hurt. Prayers that she recovers.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 09:37 AM
link   

I'm so glad Shelbys story had a happy ending.

I know exactly how you feel......Dogs are awesome.

Unconditional love, loyal to the bone (pun there) and well, just bloody awesome mates.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Happy to hear your dog is still alive. Man, what a scare that must've been. Well wishes for your best friend. May he heal quickly and fully soon.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join