It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The true story of my hippy friend, his guitar and a small UFO.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 12:47 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Mclaneinc

To doubt them all would be stupid as would be to trust them all so we have to use our own choices on this and his was to trust it while you and me would be sceptical based on zero provability but it does not mean its untrue.

Well yah... yes , no, maybe?

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Philippines

Ok, you must be right because you said it. There is no way this could be real because it is a story from a friend of a friend, and not a direct witness testimony because the testimony could be fake.

Right. its called here-say and innuendo. Not acceptable in a court of law, by itself.. Its eyewitness testimony, plus evidence and corroboration combined together that allow a court (or jurors) to make up their mind.

We are the jurors. I respect your opinion too. Just don't ask me to swear by it.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 02:01 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 02:18 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrptr
reply to post by Philippines

Ok, you must be right because you said it. There is no way this could be real because it is a story from a friend of a friend, and not a direct witness testimony because the testimony could be fake.

Right. its called here-say and innuendo. Not acceptable in a court of law, by itself.. Its eyewitness testimony, plus evidence and corroboration combined together that allow a court (or jurors) to make up their mind.

We are the jurors. I respect your opinion too. Just don't ask me to swear by it.

Wow, tough crowd. I think this is the first time I have visited this forum. I didn't realize that if I had a casual UFO-sighting story to share I would have to present it here and defend it like in a court of law.

For me, if I was not being asked to alter my world-view over such an instance then for me it is not a matter of "believing" the story but just something to take, or not, at face value. If I were told here the orb suddeenly opened and a little gray man stepped out and began telling about some sort of inter-galaxial agenda then I might have to exercise a bit more consideration or require some kind of proof if it required action on my part. If there was a warning to stay away from the beaches on a particular day, and if I had no pressing engagements there I might opt for an afternoon at the mall instead.

I myself have seen some seemingly very strange paranormal stuff in my time so really don't care to label someone a liar or crazed lunatic because they claim to have seen something unusual. That would be counter-productive for me as I find it interesting to hear these stories and don't wish to discourage their telling.

If this had occurred here where I live I might have heard the other observer shouting something sounding like, "¡Obney! ¡Obney! as they would be most commonly known as OVNI's here, which stands for, I believe, Objeto Volando No Identificado - "volando" means "flying" and I believe the rest can be deciphered by anyone easily enough. This was not meant to stereotype anyone, just for information as these objects have some other designations over the world. Many non-English speakers also use the term UFO, even here at times, and a fairly common pronunciation would sound like, "Oo-fo." No shame in speaking a different language, and not a stereotype slam to expect them to pronounce words as they do in their native tongue. "UFO" is a term carried into a variety of other world languages to describe these sightings.

I will just keep my UFBP story to myself as Uncannily Floating Bowling Pins may be a bit off-topic and extremely difficult to offer proof for here.

edit on 18-2-2013 by Erongaricuaro because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Haha... thanks most of you! I've just come back to this thread after a couple o' days and I do love most of the replies. Most entertaining.
I thought I'd make a few comments to a few of the posts.

I've always loved the UFO stories than involve small UFO's... there are not that many of them. Most people imagine a UFO as being large enough to carry a human... I guess that is how our mind works. It automatically seeks out the most obvious explanation.
So there really aren't that many small UFO stories... I think I'd have to go through my back issues of Fortean Times to find the ones I'm thinking of.
So that was a big reason that 'Sam's' story always stuck in mind... as well as his great way of story-telling, including his impression... and thank you so many of you here for agreeing that I wasn't being racist!

He told me the story a couple of years after it happened and I spent a good few minutes doubting its veracity and really having a go at him... as in, I told him he better not be taking the pee or lying or making this up... and he swore he wasn't and to this day he says its true (well... not this day... but last time we spoke about it a few years ago). At the time I asked him if this could have been a hallucination (as we'd both had experience with some of that... so we're well versed) and the answer was no... and the details of it, especially the involvement of the other student points to it being a real visible object.

I guess that doesn't mean it was 'true'... but the story and him being a hippy and his guitar is true! Oh... and I use the term 'hippy' very broadly as well... and it looked good in the thread. But I think Sam would say he is still a bit of a hippy!

I use the term UFO to describe anything that is flying and unidentifiable... I would love there to be aliens and for UFO's to be extraterrestrial in origin but I think there could be other explanations... like earth-lights or unidentified airborne creatures or drones or misc military secret tech.

It's great to read about other people's experiences! Cheers.
edit on 18-2-2013 by manmental because: bitz

edit on 18-2-2013 by manmental because: spell

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Erongaricuaro

Wow, tough crowd. I think this is the first time I have visited this forum. I didn't realize that if I had a casual UFO-sighting story to share I would have to present it here and defend it like in a court of law.

Cheers! It is a tough crowd here but I've grown to love that on ATS... and I think most people have been great and defended me against a couple of people who should know better... and that has been nice to see the support.

So if you have a story just make sure you write it up well and send it into the arena! As long as you are true to yourself there are many on here to offer support on most topics.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Druscilla
No matter how impressive someone's impression of an overdone racist stereotype of a buck-tooth'd, bottle thick glasses wearing, slant eyed, bad EngRish "oooo-fo" yelling, over excitable claimed Japanese student, don't make it true.

Further, it's entirely possible to be passively under the "influence" when one is not actively under the influence.
One such example of this is called Flashbacks.

People have been promising me flashbacks for 45 years now. And every one of them was lieing to me. Much the same way that you are now.

The word "hippy" and UFO together in the title don't give this story much credibility, no matter how fun or entertaining the story might be.

I cannot believe you said that. I suppose you have someone that told you something about the subject of hallucinations. I have 45 years of intensive field research on the subject and I can assure you that I can tell what is real and what is not. Folks really show the ignorance when it comes to the subject of hallucinations and ufo's.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 04:26 PM
link   

If this had occurred here where I live I might have heard the other observer shouting something sounding like, "¡Obney! ¡Obney!

Thats part of the story I beg to differ with. I have been in a group of people all of us observing something and all I remember hearing is, "What is that?"

That is the expected reply. At the time of observation one is speechless, mesmerized, seemingly fixated and very quiet. At the moment of incredulity, then some speak... not to claim they know, only exclaim there dumbfounded-ment or surprise and wonderment. It is that compelling. Believe me, I know.

Only after the sighting ended did we all look at each other in jaw drop amazement and no one wanted to be the first to claim anything and maybe look the fool. It was more along the lines of explaining what it could have been and only after every avenue was exhausted and some arguing. Then it was, what couldn't it have been?

We want to believe that something out of this world is really our imagination or some misunderstanding. Back and forth. Back and forth. Then the corroborative process begins. What did you see? What do you think it was? And most stay silent or state that they don't know. Not one of us voiced the opinion we all secretly shared, knowing the response would be ridicule... "What, are you crazy?"

Thats real world.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 06:46 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 06:47 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 06:55 PM
link   

reply to post by manmental

Please, then, edit your story to drop the whole "Sam does a better impression", as well as dropping the racial-ethno sterotype of yelling "ooo-fo", instead of simply making the statement that another student (nationality and ethnic heritage unspecified), very exited, started jumping up and down yelling and pointing about the "ufo".

When you start talking about doing impressions, and going out of your way to fill in or perpetuate racially/ethic stereotypes, including accents, you're being racially and culturally insensitive regardless of whether you think you are or are not.

If you don't understand this, then, I feel very sad for you.

edit:

... on the ricter scale of cultural sensitivity and manners, doing accents and impressions as you've described on top of going out of one's way to mention the cultural origin of a character, is a few steps above talking loudly and slowly in rudeness and insensitivity to someone not of your own cultural heritage.

I mean, what's next?
Are you going to show us how black people act and sound when they see a UFO?

edit on 16-2-2013 by Druscilla because: (no reason given)

I would tell the story the way it happened, and if I felt that my friend who witnessed it did a better job of reenacting what HAPPENED, I would say so. It wouldn't matter to me if it was a black person, an Asian, a white hillbilly, or a homosexual. I would say it the way it happened, and if somebody pronounced a word in a way that I thought sounded funny, I would mention it if it was impressionable and a part of the story that happened. You can think something sounds funny without thinking any less of the person who said it. It's possible to do that.

Bravo to the op for not filtering the story to make it "politically correct". Tell it like it is, and call em how you see em. Some of us realize that you meant no disrespect, and I personally hold no grudge over the fact that maybe, just maybe, you don't scour the web upon waking each morning in order to determine what changes in your behavior you might have to make today in order to make sure that nobody is offended.

And I'm sorry to the ats membership that my other posts had to be removed... But just to clarify, I said that she "came off SOUNDING LIKE a bitch", not that she was one. I seriously don't see why they can't just remove the offensive or off topic part of a post...they do the SNIP with swears all the time! And if my whole post was off topic, then, so was the post I was replying to. It would have to be, right?

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 07:05 PM
link   

If this had occurred here where I live I might have heard the other observer shouting something sounding like, "¡Obney! ¡Obney!

Thats part of the story I beg to differ with. I have been in a group of people all of us observing something and all I remember hearing is, "What is that?"

That is the expected reply. At the time of observation one is speechless, mesmerized, seemingly fixated and very quiet. At the moment of incredulity, then some speak... not to claim they know, only exclaim there dumbfounded-ment or surprise and wonderment. It is that compelling. Believe me, I know.

Only after the sighting ended did we all look at each other in jaw drop amazement and no one wanted to be the first to claim anything and maybe look the fool. It was more along the lines of explaining what it could have been and only after every avenue was exhausted and some arguing. Then it was, what couldn't it have been?

We want to believe that something out of this world is really our imagination or some misunderstanding. Back and forth. Back and forth. Then the corroborative process begins. What did you see? What do you think it was? And most stay silent or state that they don't know. Not one of us voiced the opinion we all secretly shared, knowing the response would be ridicule... "What, are you crazy?"

Thats real world.

Right and everybody is the exact same. And if something doesn't happen exactly the way it happened to you, including speech, conversational mechanics, and social stigmas, then that's reason enough to believe it didn't happen.

That's it. I'm outta here. It's gettin a little too deep and I didn't bring my hip waders. Although scuba gear might be a little more appropriate, given the sheer amount of bs being shoveled into this thread by some.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Double post...

Ok now that that's taken care of, NOW I'm outta here... I really did enjoy this thread. It's just some people get to me because I don't know if they really are that way or if they are just screwing with people...usually I can tell, but, maybe they are just really good at acting like...that.
edit on 2/18/2013 by 3n19m470 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 08:28 PM
link   
reply to post by 3n19m470

Right and everybody is the exact same.

No... unlike the OP, I am a first hand witness.
Thats one difference.

And that is why you don't find my experience in a thread. Because even though it really happened, it is still just here-say. Thats another difference. I know that. And don't really care what others think. I balance my debunking with my own viewpoint so people understand where I am coming from.

I compare other experiences to my own because I am still wanting to know what it was I saw too. Thats why I come to ATS. Once you have heard me enough you will know that I don't call fake on everything that I respond too. There are a lot of good cases out there. A lot have been brought to ATS and I am on some of them trying to figure out whats really going on. Are you still there?

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 09:54 PM
link   

reply to post by 3n19m470

Right and everybody is the exact same.

No... unlike the OP, I am a first hand witness.
Thats one difference.

And that is why you don't find my experience in a thread. Because even though it really happened, it is still just here-say. Thats another difference. I know that. And don't really care what others think. I balance my debunking with my own viewpoint so people understand where I am coming from.

I compare other experiences to my own because I am still wanting to know what it was I saw too. Thats why I come to ATS. Once you have heard me enough you will know that I don't call fake on everything that I respond too. There are a lot of good cases out there. A lot have been brought to ATS and I am on some of them trying to figure out whats really going on. Are you still there?

It's ok, we know your "experience" is fake and not real anyways. Apparently you also don't care what others think.

You are balancing your "debunking" by comparing other possible experiences to your fake experience, so that means every other possible ET encounter is fake.

You still never answered my question about your non UFO. But since your experience is also not real, you probably never saw any object that was flying and unidentified.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Lets knock off the bickering and return to the topic. Posting Bans will follow if this continues.

Mod Edit: ALL MEMBERS: We expect civility and decorum within all topics - Please Review This Link.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 10:23 PM
link   

No matter how impressive someone's impression of an overdone racist stereotype of a buck-tooth'd, bottle thick glasses wearing, slant eyed, bad EngRish "oooo-fo" yelling, over excitable claimed Japanese student, don't make it true.

Further, it's entirely possible to be passively under the "influence" when one is not actively under the influence.
One such example of this is called Flashbacks.

The word "hippy" and UFO together in the title don't give this story much credibility, no matter how fun or entertaining the story might be.

edit on 16-2-2013 by Druscilla because: (no reason given)

Seems like you're the one being a bit prejudiced and judgmental here. ASSUMING "Sam" is having "flashbacks" is ASSUMING he abused loads of hallucinogens prior to this experience (I mean like, in the past, not just before this occurred). Is this because the OP describes him as a hippy? There is nothing wrong with that, either! In fact, there is nothing wrong or racist in his story at all. I enjoyed it and found it to be well written. He put me right there with Sam by that stream and can so totally hear the guy yelling "Oo-fo".

Way to TRY to ruin someone else's thread, troll.

edit on 18-2-2013 by lovebeck because: Clarification

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 10:27 PM
link   
I have had a few similar experiences. It is good to know I'm not alone, and no I was not high at 10-12 years of age or at any time since. I don't even drink alcohol. Coffee and chocolate are my worst addictions

Thank you for sharing. I always wish that these stories would end in some answers though! Always a mystery.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join