It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bullet Arrows

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 03:50 AM
link   
I don't think it would work. If something like this was made it would be really expensive and the arrows would not be reusable.
If you just set a bullet off like that its not going to really be doing the same damage as if it were fired from a gun. A gun fires the bullet from inside an enclosure and that little explosion propels the bullet from the barrel to the target. Im reminded of a mythbusters episode where they put bullets in a campfire and the results were less than what you would think.
Gases like water tend to follow the path of least resistance, so a bullet at the tip of an arrow would probably exert most of its energy propelling the arrow part away from whatever its hitting.
To make what you are thinking actually work you would have to make the arrow so heavy that it would not be practical to use as an arrow.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Just a thought....Is there such a thing as a Arrow that has a Bullet in it's tip.
I'm not talking a exploding tip here, i'm talking about a Arrow that you can insert say a .022 round in the tip and when it hits it's target the bullet gets pushed backwards onto a firing pin and then it does it's damage..

Actually, one of my Zombie survival guides has a great write-up on this, complete with the step by step, and pics.

It's actually intended to be more of a noisemaker/distraction device (it goes bang, draws zombies where it landed, not by you)...

You unscrew the arrow tip, drill two small holes in the shaft (so you can stick a metal clip in to prevent the striker bolt from accidentally hitting the shotgun shell tip..pull the clip when ready to fire). The striker bolt should fit well in the shaft, but able to slide back and forth. Slightly flat point the end that will connect with the shell. Use a small trimming of an aluminum can to help secure the shotgun shell on to the end of the arrow. They say to use duct tape, but for weight, I'd recommend electrician tape. Never tried it, but seems sound enough in principle...would just have to practice with an armed one to get how the weight would do.

In this one, the bullet isn't pushed back to the striker, just that the arrow stopping makes the firing bolt/pin slam forward, striking the sweet spot.
edit on 18-2-2013 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 11:43 PM
link   
Like others have already said,it's both impractical and uneccesary. If you place an arrow in the vitals,with a good broadhead,death follows in seconds. A .22 bullet at low speed would actually be rather less effective. As for making the whole arrow blow up,yes you'll make noise but not much else. Another thing to think about-for every action,there is an equal and opposite reaction! In my younger and stupider days,I took an aluminum arrow and slid a .303 British case on the end of it,bullet removed of course but powder intact. Taped a small nail to the primer and ventured forth with my recurve. I figured a steel water tasnk was jsut the thing to provide the nice solid surface I needed. At about 30 yards,I let fly,and was rewarded with a very satisfying bang! The aluminum shaft largley disintegrated,but the remainder did come back some fair distance. It occured to me that I was essentailly making an arrow bullet,which was,by design,always going to be pointing straight back at me when it went off! I didn't do that any more....

On the topic of hunting bows, I shoot both recurve and compound and will say that the compound is far and away the superior hunting tool in almost all regards. Recurve is fun,and I enjoy small game hunting with it,but when it's time for big game the compound is it. I suggest you get something in the 50-60 pound range to start,and keep it on the lower end to start with. Get yourself a dozen arrows,a good release and a backstop. Find someone with experience to show youthe ropes,and then practice practice practice! There's a lot more to archery than most people think,,and it takes considerable practice to become a proficient archer. Big difference between hunting and target shooting, so you want to make sure your at your best. Making a bad shot and losing an animal is no fun at all.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Here's a link to the book I mentioned.

www.zombiegift.com...

The how-to is pretty much all the way at the end of the book.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 01:56 PM
link   
i agree with other posters who have said there is little point - after all bows require much more skill than guns to attain accuracy.

reply to post by Soloprotocol

hunting with broadheads is illegal here in the uk - after all, bearing in mind the size of game over here it's just not cricket :down:

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 04:02 PM
link   
So what would be a Good Hunting Bow then....???

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Here you go:

www.huntersfriend.com...

Even the lowest priced one here is an excellent bow.

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

RTH(Ready to hunt) is a great way to go. One I highly recommend for beginners. Nice link..

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Sounds pretty similar to a bang stick used to kill gators where the bullet is on the end of a spear instead of an arrow. The have bullets now that are guided to their target so I am sure someone has made a arrow bullet.

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Cheers Gazrok...... Though i did have my eye on this one..

www.ebay.co.uk...

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 03:22 PM
link   

You need to find your draw length before you buy a bow. Most bows can be adjusted to almost any size, but you should know where to start. This is a very addictive sport and can get quite expensive. Trust me.

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by KawRider9

You need to find your draw length before you buy a bow. Most bows can be adjusted to almost any size, but you should know where to start. This is a very addictive sport and can get quite expensive. Trust me.

Yeah, I second this. Go to a bow shop and have them build one to fit you. I have a very odd frame, they had to work at it to get one to fit me right. Once we got it dialed in, it fit me like a glove, but it's tough for me to shoot an off-the-shelf bow well. I also have arrows cut to fit me and the bow, stock won't work right.

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 12:24 PM
link   
bullet firing arrows, there is a company that produces them here: www.racembac.com... BTW, this is my first post here at ATS.

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 12:20 AM
link   
Getting back to your original question.......

I believe these are what your asking about.

RAC-EM-BAC

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Bedlam

A broadhead does just awful damage to a target. If you get a good shot on a deer with a broadhead you just slice that guy up to shreds inside. It causes death by hypovolemic shock - the deer bleeds to death in minutes.

Way back in the dawn times, you could use an Anectine pod on the arrow to poison the deer if you were a chronic bad shot, but I think that's unlawful in all 50 now.
edit on 16-2-2013 by Bedlam because: (no reason given)

I think those pods may still be legal in Mississippi.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join