It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

imvho we should've tried blowing up da14

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 07:21 PM
link   
link

Its orbit is known so accurately that we can project, actually, for most of the 21st century and right now we are looking at the possibility, very tiny possibility that it could hit the earth in the year 2080, I expect that will go away and we’ll know that we will be safe for long time.
wtf

I think we missed an opportunity to experiment on how to blow up a potentially hazardous object.

We should've nuked that near earth object on its way out, eliminating its threat; one less thing to worry about.

Cuba & California reported meteor explosions and a meteorite hit Russia within hours of 2012da14 flyby. Its kind of portentous.

Cuba, California report possible meteor explosions

maybe one of you guys should start a petition for NASA to blow that sucker to smithereens next time it comes a-knocking 2046.

imvho, we should take every opportunity to blow up an asteroid when it comes within range. Put those astronomically expensive nukes to good use.
edit on 16-2-2013 by reject because: could've...should've...would've

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 07:27 PM
link   
reply to post by reject

Then what happens if it splits in two and smacks the Earth twice? Or if the nuke goes off too early, what if it misses and then there's an un-exploded nuke floating around.

I agree, we should shoot the thing down, not with nukes but with new tech'. Why not use a railgun? They're powerful enough and accurate enough to shoot massively high energy projectiles. If we built one big enough we might be able to bluntly impact the meteor, knocking it off course instead of shattering it.... I don't know.

Basically we need Clark Kent.....
edit on 11/10/2012 by Joneselius because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 07:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Joneselius

oh yeah would the emp knock out our satellites? if so, would it be permanent?

if that's the case, conventional explosives then.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 08:19 PM
link   
reply to post by reject

Hey I like blowing sh*t up as much as the next guy but we are plum broke, can not afford to blow sh*t up. Too busy lining lobbyist corporate pockets sorry. Maybe in 100 years.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by reject

We should've nuked that near earth object on its way out

Very original idea.

Scissors beats paper,
paper beats rock,
nuke beats rock.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 04:31 AM
link   
reply to post by byGRACE

no, the hardware is there, all set up & ready to go