It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Eminem's anti-Bush anthem

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2004 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Finally Eminem has put his brilliance to good use. Everyone should check out his provocative new video. Let's hear it for Slim Shady.

Eminem's anti-Bush anthem
Download "Mosh," the most powerful broadside against the administration since "Fahrenheit 9/11."

- - - - - - - - - - - -
By Michelle Goldberg

Oct. 26, 2004 | With his history of homophobia and his long-running beef with MoveOn supporter Moby, Eminem is an even less likely lefty hero than Howard Stern. But the just-released video for his new anti-Bush song "Mosh," makes "Fahrenheit 9/11" look like a GOP campaign spot, and it will almost certainly reach an audience that wouldn't think of shelling out for a documentary.

The beautifully animated video, which is directed by Ian Inaba, opens with a classroom. At the front is a man in a blue suit, his face buried in an upside down children's book that says "My Pet," with a picture of a bush. Just as the man is revealed to be Eminem, the scene changes, and we see the singer taping up newspaper stories to a wall -- "Sick Wounded Troops Held in Squalor," says one. "Civil Liberties at Stake," says another. "Bush Knew," says a third.

In five minutes, Eminem manages a furious indictment of the administration that will likely resonate among many troops in Iraq as well as disaffected kids here at home. In one scene, a smiling soldier returns home from Baghdad, only to be handed a notice announcing that he has to go back. As Eminem sings, "# Bush," the soldier mouths the words.

Then we see a woman walking home in the rain, carrying groceries and an envelope. Inside is an eviction notice. As she reads it, we hear Eminem saying, "Maybe this is God just saying we're responsible for this monster, this coward that we have empowered." The woman looks at her TV, where Bush is speaking over a banner that says "Tax Cuts." She looks at her terrified children, then back at the screen, which says, "Breaking News�Terror Alert."

It all ends amazingly earnestly, with Eminem leading a black-clad army to the voting booth. Once again, Bush proves he really does have wonder working powers -- by behaving even more callously and irresponsibly than the most outrageous rapper, he's turned music's foremost enfant terrible into a role model of civic engagement.

Now we just have to see if MTV has the guts to air it.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

About the writer
Michelle Goldberg is a senior writer for Salon based in New York.
www.salon.com...

posted on Oct, 30 2004 @ 01:00 PM
link   
If you go to the article, a link to Em's video is provided.

posted on Oct, 30 2004 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Most Americans are well aware that in 2000, the presidential election was decided by 537 votes. From hanging chads to the hourly updates of the manual recount, this story was obsessively covered by the mainstream press. However, what wasn�t covered was what journalist Greg Palast discovered that thousands of primarily minority voters were scrubbed from the voter registry in Florida and prevented from potentially changing the course of America�s turbulent last four years.

All i can say is, i never expected this from Eminem. It's a very well put together video, it's excellent that this kind of thing can be published freely... however it will be interesting to see what major music channels screen it regularly.

I always find that political music has a far bigger impact than the typical gang related/violence related songs. All i can say is, more of the same. Whether it's bashing Bush, another countries stance on weapons, famine or violations of Human rights, the public should know, and this is a great way of getting the population who dont follow these events into the debate

posted on Oct, 30 2004 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Snoopdopey

All i can say is, i never expected this from Eminem. It's a very well put together video, it's excellent that this kind of thing can be published freely... however it will be interesting to see what major music channels screen it regularly.

It'll be interesting to see if MTV has the cajones to run it.

I always find that political music has a far bigger impact than the typical gang related/violence related songs. All i can say is, more of the same. Whether it's bashing Bush, another countries stance on weapons, famine or violations of Human rights, the public should know, and this is a great way of getting the population who dont follow these events into the debate

I'm really glad to see him throwing his weight into the arena. This issue is more important than any of us even know. And you're right, his target is an audience that needs to be shaken up. I just hope it has an impact (combined with the likes of Springsteen and P-diddy's get out the vote campaigns.

posted on Oct, 30 2004 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Good to see Eminem doing something useful for the good of the world.

I hope that video can get the message across and gets those who are planning not to vote to go out and vote. (although I'm sure there can't be many who are planning not to vote)

Bush must be ousted.

posted on Oct, 30 2004 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hyperen
Good to see Eminem doing something useful for the good of the world.

I hope that video can get the message across and gets those who are planning not to vote to go out and vote. (although I'm sure there can't be many who are planning not to vote)

Bush must be ousted.

Yer absotively right. He really puts it to him with his acid lyrics. The little soldier in the video gets me.. and the young mother who gets the eviction notice.

We can't afford four more years of this insanity.

posted on Oct, 30 2004 @ 01:59 PM
link   
It's a great video!!!...There's a good discussion of it going here also:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Oct, 30 2004 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by mpeake
It's a great video!!!...There's a good discussion of it going here also:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

It sho is. Thx for the link.

new topics

top topics