It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Life, It's All About the Money

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 03:23 PM
link   

1val·ue
noun ˈval-(ˌ)yü
Definition of VALUE
1: a fair return or equivalent in goods, services, or money for something exchanged
2: the monetary worth of something : market price
3: relative worth, utility, or importance
4: a numerical quantity that is assigned or is determined by calculation or measurement
5: the relative duration of a musical note
6a : relative lightness or darkness of a color : luminosity
b : the relation of one part in a picture to another with respect to lightness and darkness
7: something (as a principle or quality) intrinsically valuable or desirable
8: denomination 2
— val·ue·less adjective
— val·ue·less·ness noun

2value
transitive verb
val·uedval·u·ing
Definition of VALUE
1a : to estimate or assign the monetary worth of : appraise
b : to rate or scale in usefulness, importance, or general worth : evaluate
2: to consider or rate highly : prize, esteem
— val·u·er noun
Examples of VALUE

She values the time she spends with her family.
The items are highly valued by collectors.
The herbs are valued for their medicinal properties.

Source:www.merriam-webster.com...

When I was growing up the definition of value was something that is important, something of worth, something held in esteem. It did refer to colors and their shades etc., but for the most part it was as I just described. Money had value, beauty had value, Life had value, etc., but it seems that the definition of value has changed. It seems that today the definition is in direct relation to how much money something is worth and not its importance(by the order of definition importance and or usage).

This shows the mentality of mankind. It is all about money. Only things that can be converted to a monetary amount have value. What value does human life have today? None, why? because Human life has not been put to a monetary amount and therefore has no value. To do so, in todays politically correct world would imply the possibility of slavery and as a consequence has lost its value. Money has become the only value in todays world and this angers me. Life has no value by definition and therefore has lost its protection. This is not limited to Human life but to life itself.

People seem to have forgotten that life can continue without money, but money cannot continue without life. This places life above money in the scale of value. This I believe is why money seems to be coveted more than life itself.

Some of you might see this as an attack on capitalism and maybe it is, but capitalism is responsible for a majority of the issues we face today. Life is being killed in the process of capitalizing on resources like wood and oil, without any regard. Anything that comes up that can replace these is lobbied against and crushed by the established competition. They are being hidden, made illegal, or simply marketed against in favor of the bigger companies.

Chemicals are killing the life on this planet from discarded waste to unnecessary plastics and trivial junk for what? The almighty value of money. It seems to be a perpetual self continued system. From action figures or meal toys from the latest blockbuster movie to the just gotta have infomercial products that actually do nothing more than feed the system.

Bob cares about his partner and children (if he has any). Maybe he cares about his Mommy and Daddy but doesn't give a rats backside about his neighbor much less someone or something on the other side of the planet. "Who cares about someone I have never met, what importance do they have to me?" is the mentality of todays world. The value of life is gone in the minds of common man and those that do care are considered "tree huggers" or "hippies" because they don't fall into the "Norm" of an "I don't care Attitude"

I am beginning to think this is all because of people looking out for their own lives and "who cares about what happens after I die, It won't matter to me" type attitude(When in actuality it is in their own ignorance that they cannot see just how much it does effect them because they just don't care enough to do the research from all sides and not just one viewpoint that agrees with them). We really don't care anymore, as a whole people, what our children will have to deal with. It is all about the "what can I get now" or "what is going to make MY life better". Some people donate to the poor and needy or conservation and wildlife, but of those, it seems, the majority is done out of "It is expected because I have more and I don't want to look selfish" and not out of true concern for our fellow man or Nature and life itself.

I realize that this rant will not be readily received and there will most likely be opposition for this reason or another and in my mind it only solidifies what I am trying to convey. I also realize that this little rant is not going to change a single thing and really was a waste of time typing it out. For this I apologize for wasting the server space it takes to hold this wasted space, but maybe, just maybe, it will reach one person that will stop and think about how the world is crumbling and how our actions really are hurting not only ourselves and our children but Nature and the Planet as a whole. Life is the ultimate value not money and I think we need to reestablish this in our lives and understanding and thus our very definition of value.

Money and arrogance are killing us and our planet. Those that think there is no life out there should be working all the harder to better life here instead of blindly working to eliminate all life in the universe. Those that think we are not alone should be working all the harder to strengthen our world and its Life so we can exist in the bigger picture rather than being seen a cockroaches of the universe. Come to think about it maybe this is the true reason behind the Georgia Guide Stones, population thinning projects and things like Agenda 21. Just maybe if we, as a people, change our thinking it will not be necessary to follow through with these types of projects. But then again, who am I to say anything? I'm just another anonymous poster and maybe it is already too late.
edit on 16-2-2013 by Agarta because: Spelling

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 03:40 PM
link   
I hear you.

The invisible Prison

Thought you might like what I just wrote the other day....

Also, I've been talking about this for years and people always beat me down and tell me that without money life can't go on. It's insane. The world is insane. Humanity has an addiction problem that it doesn't even acknowledge. Its a sad story.

edit on 16-2-2013 by xxshadowfaxx because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 03:46 PM
link   
I understand your rant and your anger. However, imo, human life is the only thing that has real value. Thus, among other things, my opposition to infanticide.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Agarta

Hmm...interesting in what you say friend.

Greed comes to mind...greed is very ugly.

Seems no one is satisfied with what they already have...this is terribly saddening.

A song I just heard today popped into my head while reading this.

I don't know how to link videos so I'll just give you the name of the song, it's in my sig.

Working class hero-John Lennon.

Peace and love to you friend
-nat the mangled cat-

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Our world these days is all about the money. Life however imho is a different story. I believe in life as the divine spark, hard to see that spark through the greed, but it is there. Supposedly we are above the animals in that we can reason and choose, hard to believe sometimes and much harder than it looks. I still do believe we have those choices, it is just that many of us are choosing things and money.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Ive recently read a great book titled "Unspeak" about words and how they have been hijacked.

Value is one of the words used as an example in the book.

Its basically about how corporations or governments use words in a certain context to take away any negative connatations and after repeated use it becomes the norm and via language people are desensitised to the reality of whats actually happening, a great example is how one group are labelled terrorists and another are labelled freedom fighters depending on the agenda of whos doing the labelling.

Worth a read for anyone whos interested in what the OP is saying

S&F

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 09:53 AM
link   
The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled...was creating money to control the human race.

Considering humans are a hunter-gatherer species, bipedal with opposable thumbs, self aware, intelligent and physicaly strong...you would think not only instinctively but collectively as a race we would realize we are the "Alphas" of this planet and it is as much as a responsibility as a previlige to live on this Earth with all its beauty, ideal living conditions and wonderous creatures upon it. This should be what we live for...to defend and live in perfect harmony with what we have been given, all races and animals, to progress in a direction of spiritual and mental develpomant...the land and it's creatures are the lambs and we are the shepard...except we shepards were bought out a long time ago somewhere within the fertile cresent of life (in the beginning of our current history)...while we slept our pockets were lined with gold and a new set of ideals...

Money is the product of our time and energy...in a physical form...and we give it away to the greater evils all the time.

"Only after the last tree is cut and the last river poisoned, only after the last finch is caught, will you find money cannot be eaten." - Randy Blythe

Great thread OP, I couldn't agree more and well written at that.

edit on 18-2-2013 by ArchaicDesigns because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 10:53 AM
link   
A thought came to me one time was it was that we are prepared very early to earn money.

We are not taught in school how to help humanity or how to make the world better, but to get a great job and earn as much money as we can.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Agarta

I too have been feeling as you feel for many years. 9/11 was my turning point. And just like many others here I'm sure that vocalizing these fundamentally correct assertions has been nothing but a proverbial thorn stuck in a paw.

Some of your feelings echo to me of Richard Heinberg, The end of growth and Sacred Economics by Charles Eisenstein. Good reads if you are interested

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Agarta

Aaaaah dear Agarta! you write with such conviction yet the sense you make is undeniable. No need to be so defeatist though.

Simply the fact that you see these pressing issues clearly indicates that there is hope out there. We might have all have our differences but one thing I can tell you is that I agree with this thread and so do many others out there.

I might sound like a bit of a loon here but I think I see a pattern emerging as we speak. It is becoming stronger by the day, people are are starting to see the bigger picture, people are beginning to communicate and share ideas about this turmoil we find ourselves in. Whether you believe it or not, bits of the puzzles are fitting at and increasing pace and it is only a matter of time before it becomes "mainstream".

Yes it does feel like we are all trapped but just like any revolution it starts with people like us spreading awareness until it spreads like wildfire. Keep pushing and finding innovative ways of getting the message through, we need people like you.

Good things and remember to enjoy the little things

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Agarta

Money = mind control to me.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArchaicDesigns
The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled...was creating money to control the human race.

I just wanted to clarify, I meant that more in a metaphorical sense (play on usual suspects lol) not a religious one...not that there's anything wrong with that.
I was pretty much saying, I don't think the monetary system is a natural progression of the human race but is a form of slavery which was put into place in the very beginning of our current known history. Peace

top topics

join