It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Divers Find No Trace of Meteorite in Urals Lake

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Raist

What? Hollywood movies are real?

CX

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Any reports on how deep the water was under the ice?

If it wasn't that deep, surely something traveling that fast could have just buried itself too deep in the bed to be found? The tunnel it caused in the bed could easily collapse in on itself with all the crap it kicked up and you'd never find anything.

I don't find it very surprising that they haven't found it.

CX.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Kitsunegari

Well I don't know. Here is an article that shows the residents of Chelyabinsk are currently selling pieces of the meteor.

Hours after a 10-ton meteor exploded over Siberia on Friday, residents of the Russian city of Chelyabinsk had already begun to list meteorite pieces for sale on Avito.Ru, Russia’s leading website for classified ads.

of course this is also a bit suspicious

Lipunov described the area surrounding Chelyabinsk as filled with “dozens of defense factories, including nuclear factories and those involved in production of thermonuclear weapons.”

Chelyabinsk residents selling meteor pieces

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by edog11
This hole and the condition of the ice around it does NOT match up with the damage that is to be expected at a highly energetic impact event.

The meteorite had a weight of around 10.000 metric tonnes at impact and hit with a velocity of 18.000 meters per second.
At that velocity, it would have a kinetic energy of (10.000,000 x 18.000) 1.620.000 Gigajoules which has the equivalent force of a 400 Kiloton nuke. That's 20 times bigger then the bomb dropped on Hiroshima.

Where is all the damage that is to be expected from such massive transitions of energies? Are we supposed to believe that this tiny microscopic little hole is supposed to have went through transferring such insane amounts of energies?

IT--
edit on 17-2-2013 by edog11 because: (no reason given)

If you study meteoritic science, you will find out that almost all of the fragmented pieces of a bolide fall cold, straight down, at terminal velocity. The cosmic speed was absorbed in the explosion and the remaining pieces slowed down due to air friction, one of which plummeted into the lake. If any pieces had hit the ground at an angle , then they would have been traveling at near cosmic speed, which did not happen, as the effect and presentation would be quite different as seen in the tail end of the flight path.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by HomerinNC

I've witnessed numerous meteors over the years...One dropped 2 miles from my home...Never heard a sonic boom from any of them...

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Prepare yourselves.

edit on 17-2-2013 by Erich94 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 03:36 PM
link   
I saw posted that someone thought this ice may be only 4 inches thick. I think the ice on this lake would be between a foot to two feet thick, maybe a bit more.

There are several vehicles out on that ice. The following guidelines come from this site:

www.dnr.state.mn.us...

For new, clear ice only

2" or less - STAY OFF

4" - Ice fishing or other activities on foot

5" - Snowmobile or ATV

8" - 12" - Car or small pickup

12" - 15" - Medium truck

Note: these guidelines are for new, clear solid ice.

Many factors other than thickness can cause ice to be unsafe.

White ice or "snow ice" is only about half as strong as new clear ice. Double the above thickness guidelines when traveling on white ice.www.dnr.state.mn.us...

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Please forgive me if this has already been said, but does anyone here know what happens when a large caliber bullet hits water at full speed? It's very possible that most asteroid fragments get pulverized upon impact with water. I would think that the odds are good given the instant temperature changes on top of the impact. One thing is for sure, it's not going to be hitting the bottom of the lake with any more speed than a normal rock sinking to the bottom, so.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 04:09 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Did anyone really believe that the perfect hole in the ice was caused by the meteorite? I know u have seen the vids. Think about it! Whatever caused that hole........assuming that hole was caused from an object coming from outer space......... would have had to enter the lake as if David Letterman was dropping it from a 3rd storey building.
The hole looked man made. Perhaps with a chainsaw or sawzall of some kind.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 06:53 PM
link   
reply to post by redshoes

Not for nothing, but you are kind of taking "they're" word for it. When you think about it something coming in on an angle when it leave a perfect hole. It would be more elliptical.

Phage, is saying the hole in the lake, or more accurately, in the ice is a fake. A red herring meant to distract and draw attention away. From what I wouldn't know, someone here will figure it out

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Ok, first of all I am not buying that the hole in the ice was the result of a piece of that meteorite exploding. Nope, sorry.

What I find interesting about this event is how the mass media is reporting that 1,000 people were injured. I read somewhere else it was 1,100? Well which is it then?

Why in the world do these idiots in empty suits have to always sensationalize every single thing that they report? What, it just so happens to be an even rounded number? I seriously doubt even 500 were injured from this. It's just a load of bs served on a platter for all the herded dunces.

Same old talking heads blowing something small into something big just so they can have something else to report other than the next bail out that's coming soon to a theater near you!

Ok, I am done. ~$heopleNation
edit on 17-2-2013 by SheopleNation because: TypO

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Ikema

When you think about it something coming in on an angle when it leave a perfect hole. It would be more elliptical.
Not necessarily. And there is no reason to think a fragment would not be falling vertically.

Phage, is saying the hole in the lake, or more accurately, in the ice is a fake.
No. I am not. If you think I'm saying that you have not read my posts. If you think a fragment would have to produce an "elliptical" hole, you have not read my posts.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Is there a website in which we may see in actual time the meteor's entrance into the atmosphere
From a satellite? A possiblity to clear the idea of a missle strike or break off and debris catching up
Like the idea of a flock of birds, less resistance behind the mass so......

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by AK907ICECOLD

There have been a couple of satellite images posted.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 08:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Thank you, I will have to look through again.

Much appreciated, common sense isn't very common, lol
I'm talking about me

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
Or maybe the hole was cut with a chainsaw.

Phage, Phage... YOU NAUGHTY BOY!!
Having conspiracy thoughts?
Sure, they are Russians right, so it's suddenly conceivable. But not when it comes to NASA...

So your first thought is they faked the hole... You can do better than that.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by LordAdef

To be fair to Phage, maybe it was, and how can we know either way? = We can't.

It's all speculation thus far. I would bet that Phage has some information that might shed some light on any misunderstandings, that's his call though.

~$heopleNation

edit on 17-2-2013 by SheopleNation because: TypO

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 10:29 PM
link   
If it blew up with that much energy, who knows what came out of that fire ball ! I suppose anything is possible, but, it's not like we've seen these before, I'm not sure they always leave remnants, but why would you expect to find them at the 'bottom' of an ice covered lake?

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 12:05 AM
link   
I also doubt that type of hole was caused by it, like many others. Perhaps a smaller bit did it, but I thought the main piece was still a bit larger then that.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join