It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Independent Study Proves Guns Don’t Kill People *Shocking Evidence

page: 20
<< 17  18  19    21  22  23 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 06:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Mianeye

well I guess we could say everything's a problem then when people operate anything so let's just all kill our
selves and blow up the freaking world how about that.
edit on 07/16/2009 by Lichter daraus because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 06:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lichter daraus
reply to post by Mianeye

nope not twisting it just reading the post as they typed and some SEEM to be serious about guns can people and not people killing people.

but seriously though I think this thread needs to end because as I stated before and anti gun people will never see eye to eye with pro gun people. I feel it is a useless argument just like this thread has turned into.
"SEEM" or you are reading it wrong, cause absolutly no one thinks that guns alone kill people, that is simple, pure logic.

And i am not antigun by the way

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 07:04 AM
link   
Guns will pretty much disappear of themselves when we have no need for them anymore, legislating them away will not take a way crime. When the average human has matured enough to see that crime causing is unnecessary, guns and other self-protection devices will fall out of fashion, naturally, that's the only way it realistically happen, very unlikely though looking at the current world, but perhaps there will be a time...

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 07:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mianeye

Originally posted by Lichter daraus
reply to post by Mianeye

yeah and stop ignoring the part where he said there's no argument for knives.
and if people mean that people do control guns when they say guns kill people then they need to say people use guns to kill people.
As stated many many MANY times, knifes have different purpose than guns, so i am not ignoring that part.

The last part, yes people should stop saying " guns kill people" or you could just use your brain to think the thought, " I know that he/they dosn't mean Guns alone kill people when he/they says guns kill people".ta

How hard can't that be....Seriouly

The point is the government taking away our guns is stupid, because it's not the guns or any other weapons that are the problem it is people that are the problem.
But they are not taking your guns away, they are regulating guns, you can still go shoot bottles or defend your home, you could even protect your home with a knife or a hammer, cause by your logic they also kill people.

"Awaitng the don't bring a knife to a gunfight comment"

edit on 17-2-2013 by Mianeye because: (no reason given)

what do you mean by my logic isnt that just common sense, of course people can use a knife or a hammer i never said you couldn't.

and why do you assume that I'm going to bring up the "don't bring a knife to a gunfight" comment.
what are you implying with that remark anyway? anyway if you're good enough with a knife why not bring one to a gun fight, at least if you have a knife you won't run out of ammo.
also I know that they haven't taken a guns away yet but don't be a surprised when that happens this is probably just the beginning.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 07:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by YouSir

Originally posted by woodwardjnr
reply to post by seabag

We never had the Wild West period like you guys. It's the Wild West mentality that lives on in America. Guns were never deemed as the essential tool Americans did. Massive cultural differences between our two nations. In fact we should be walking around with bow and arrows, to more reflect our cultural history with weapons.

I'm sure our perspectives would differ had we been born in each others respective nations
edit on 16-2-2013 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)
Ummm...That's because you were all serfs and vassels for thousands of years. You've always lived under the heel as a subject and not as free men and women. So lets all agree that you've been bred to servitude as the mastered, as we've been bred to having our rights backed up with actual teeth. Defending ourselves is ingrained into our culture, just as throwing yourselves to the ground in supplication as your glorious knights protector rode by is ingrained in your culture....THAT my friend is the real difference between us and why you will never understand why we will never give up our tools of...SELF...protection. Just as we will never understand your willingness to live life on your knees as an emasculated and subjugated race as your history so elequently describes.

YouSir

Well I am not sure that a small island creating the largest empire ever seen is indicative of a "subjugated race". Still, if I can get off my knees for a moment, the reference to the "Wild West" is interesting.

Within virtually living memory of the writing of the 2nd amendment towns like Dodge, Deadwood and Tombstone had strict gun control. When you arrived in town you checked in any firearms and you picked them up when you left. This may have been an "infringement" but the town authorities obviously subscribed to the view that people with guns kill people and that having guns immediately to hand was not likely to produce a "polite society".

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 07:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by purplemer
reply to post by FlyersFan

If you take away guns, then law abiding citizens can't protect themselves .. and the criminals will ALWAYS find a way to get an illegal firearm.

You seem all the expert on criminals. Are you a criminal yourself or did you just surmise the above statement in fairy dream land...

Armed felons is "fairy dream land"? They are a felon. When they are convicted, they lose the right to own a gun. Yet, they still find a way to get one. Repeatedly. Where is the fantasy? The simple fact is, Criminals don't obey the law [hence the name] Take guns from law abiding citizens and that leaves them open to whatever the bad guys want. Look at Chicago and New York, have the toughest gun laws in the nation stopped them? Or just disarmed the victim and made damn sure they can't fight back? People want to believe those laws have saved lives. Let's think for a minute how many they've cost.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 07:09 AM
link   

edit on 17-2-2013 by enament because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 07:09 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 07:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Mianeye

Didnt say you were anti gun, and neither am i but i also dont own a gun, yet.
and actually if you read through every single post you may find 1 or 2 that claim guns can kill without people operating them.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 07:18 AM
link   
Sorry but i had to do it

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 07:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Alfie1

yes people with guns can and will kill people with guns but people also use any other means necessary to kill for whatever reason.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 07:23 AM
link   
reply to post by enament

come on just say what you wanna say you know you want to.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 07:28 AM
link   
Ive devised a handy little experiment everyone can try at home. Place a table and a chair in an empty room. Find a willing volunteer to sit in the chair. Instruct them that under no circumstances are they to leave the chair until the experiment has concluded. Place a loaded gun on the table and exit the room.

Wait....

I bet they starve to death before they are shot.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 07:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by OtherSideOfTheCoin
reply to post by SLAYER69

I really don’t understand some on this site, I agree that Americans should have the rights of the Second amendment protected but the way they argue for it is just absurd.

The argument as i have said that guns don’t kill people, people kill people is flawed if the trigger is pulled then guns kill. Likewise this annoying argument that “well if you ban guns what about knifes and cars” is equally flawed they are separate arguments. If you are pro-gun then argue the benefits of owning guns such as self-defence, reduced crime, the preservation of culture and freedoms. Not these stupid arguments that just deflect form the real and very strong arguments to maintain the status quo of the law.

Look people are going to kill people no matter what you put in their hands. So you ban guns, violent knife crime increases, so lets just say you banned knives well here come the blunt instruments baseball bats clubs etc... Banning a gun does nothing whatsoever for preventing crime at all. If they can't shoot you they will stab you or beat you to death with a blunt instrument. If the will to harm is there, then harm will be done no matter what tool is available.

If someone wants to commit an act it really doesn't matter what tool they use.
The Gun seems to have a stigma attached to it. Personally I would much rather be shot then slashed to death with a butcher knife. How did you get so many stars on all of your comments??????? I wonder?

I would have to say one of the reasons for gun violence is inequality. Those who have more than they need and those who have a lot less than what they need. It is true if everyone is made equal than there is virtually no violence. lets make being stinking rich illegal so that more people are made equal!

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 07:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by seabag
I was sitting on my porch Saturday morning contemplating all of the news reports I’ve heard about gun violence. I believe there is an active conspiracy to mislead us! It occurred to me that no scientific study has conclusively disproved the myth that guns kill people, so I set out to do just that. Bear with me….it gets better!

I wanted to create the perfect conditions for a gun to kill someone so I set out to find a great location with a lot of victims. Because I live in a rural area, I decided to take a ride to a friend’s house in Dallas. There just happened to be many people (men, women, and a lot of children) out enjoying the nice weather. It was time to begin.

I started out with one tiny little pistol. I figured this gun had the least chance of killing someone.

I left the little guy on the porch fully loaded for exactly one hour…no one died! I then decided to up the stakes so I put 3 loaded pistols on the porch. One of them was the infamous 40cal. I knew I’d see results!

Another hour past and nothing happened. I decided to spend 30 minutes taunting the guns to elicit a violent response. I called them every 4 letter word I could think of. I even slapped the big one a few times while berating it…NOTHING happened! So far this experiment was a success.

It was time to step up to the extremely dangerous ASSAULT RIFLE!

I loaded 25 rounds of 5.56mm +P ammunition into a HI CAPACITY MAGAZINE, charged a round into the chamber and set it on the front porch with the SAFETY OFF (maybe that was the problem). I elevated the rifle by resting it across the arms of a chair so it could see all of the children at play. If anything was going to happen, now was the time.

1 hour later – NOTHING!

By this time I was convinced that I had been lied to by the government. I couldn’t replicate the gun violence I’d read about so many times! It was time for the FINAL TEST!

I put 5 high powered, fully loaded ASSAULT RIFLES and a sub-machine gun loaded with 100 rounds on the porch facing people!! Surely this would spark a mass shooting!!

NOTHING!

I was left scratching my head…

How had these dangerous ‘tools of war’ not killed dozens and wounded hundreds more? I had all the right ammo loaded, I had them in public, I had them near men, women and lots of children, I even taunted them and tried to provoke them into action, but nothing at all happened.

I think this proves that we’ve been lied to…

Guns DON’T kill people after all.

I’ve got to run…I’m starting a new experiment with spoons this afternoon. I’ve heard they cause many American’s to become obese.

edit on 16-2-2013 by seabag because: (no reason given)

Your research may be flawed, did you give any of the gun's antidepressant's? Maybe you should drug them up and try if you can make an innocent gun turn into a mass murderer!

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 07:36 AM
link   
Regardless of where you stand on the gun control issue please get this? If you own an assault rifle/rifles the guns you have are not at risk of being taken. There has been no mention of confiscating your fun toys. What has been mentioned is assault weapons having lower capacity clips. In no way does that equate to your second amendment rights being taken from you. Even if assault weapons are banned you still have the ones you may have bought and can buy other guns so that law does not equate to the loss of your second amendment rights. Also assault weapons did not exist when our founding fathers signed the constitution. So if you can buy guns you are still covered under the constitution.

The other law being discussed is universal background checks. Again people, this has nothing to do with taking your guns or your right to own them. It simply allows for more discretion in regards to purchasing guns if you choose to buy them.

I am all for enforcing the laws that currently exist. That said, to be against universal background checks means perhaps there is something in your backgrounds you don't want being checked. If that is the case than I say by all means I hope you are prevented from buying guns. The things discussed in regards to our backgrounds and owning guns that are being considered a deal breaker are simply common sense.

Do guns by themselves kill people? NO. However to rationalize them as somehow being on an equal level of threat as baseball bats, knives, swords, nunchucks or any number of other weapons aside from those that are chemical or explosive is foolish and ignorant. That is simply the talk of anyone who loves guns "especially the assault ones" so much that they lack the ability to be practical and rational.

Now while I am for some added common sense gun laws I also feel that the main way to lessen the countless deaths caused by gun violence is for us as a society to look at our own part and how it lends itself to senseless violence against the innocent.

While some people react irrationally violent due to pompous insensitivity by others and they are no doubt to be held accountable that does not let those who are pompous and insensitive off the hook. They should look at their behavior and how that can push certain people off the ledge so to speak.

Laws will do some good but there is much more that needs to be done. Who wants to start doing the right things?

edit on 17-2-2013 by Shazam1982 because: Making some spelling and phrasing changes.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 07:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Alfie1

Originally posted by YouSir

Originally posted by woodwardjnr
reply to post by seabag

We never had the Wild West period like you guys. It's the Wild West mentality that lives on in America. Guns were never deemed as the essential tool Americans did. Massive cultural differences between our two nations. In fact we should be walking around with bow and arrows, to more reflect our cultural history with weapons.

I'm sure our perspectives would differ had we been born in each others respective nations
edit on 16-2-2013 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)
Ummm...That's because you were all serfs and vassels for thousands of years. You've always lived under the heel as a subject and not as free men and women. So lets all agree that you've been bred to servitude as the mastered, as we've been bred to having our rights backed up with actual teeth. Defending ourselves is ingrained into our culture, just as throwing yourselves to the ground in supplication as your glorious knights protector rode by is ingrained in your culture....THAT my friend is the real difference between us and why you will never understand why we will never give up our tools of...SELF...protection. Just as we will never understand your willingness to live life on your knees as an emasculated and subjugated race as your history so elequently describes.

YouSir

Well I am not sure that a small island creating the largest empire ever seen is indicative of a "subjugated race". Still, if I can get off my knees for a moment, the reference to the "Wild West" is interesting.

Within virtually living memory of the writing of the 2nd amendment towns like Dodge, Deadwood and Tombstone had strict gun control. When you arrived in town you checked in any firearms and you picked them up when you left. This may have been an "infringement" but the town authorities obviously subscribed to the view that people with guns kill people and that having guns immediately to hand was not likely to produce a "polite society".
Ummm.....The "Empire" was created by the extended arm's (as in firearms, ships, cannon), of your political policy and their tool was soldiering. The culture that remained on "that little island" was certainly subjugated, first by the crown and then the bank of england... As for the wild west, neither the criminal element (cowboys) or the "law" (Wyatt Earp's) were practicing constitutionality. The cowboys practiced frontier justice while the marshals enacted blanket measures that affected criminal and non criminal alike......both elements were wrong and unconstitutional as well. As these situations took place after the constitution was enacted.....prior to that of course there was manifest destiny and all that entailed. (oversimplified, I know)

YouSir

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 07:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Mianeye

ok now look at the post above in the quote, the poster says that the logic of guns dont kill people, people kill people is flawed, because if the trigger is pulled then the gun killed. But if the person didnt pull the trigger no would be shot. Thats the crap im talking about.

nevermind it's not above this post anymore took me awhile to type this anyway its enements post it's like 2 or 3 up above.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 07:39 AM
link   
reply to post by seabag

I'm not sure what your point is. Are you saying that if guns did not exist, there would be the same amount of lives ended per year? Is that what you're saying? That humans are just as dangerous with or without a gun in their hand? Is that really what you're saying?

Wow, I hadn't thought about it like that, You've really opened my eyes, man. In fact how about we disarm the entire US Army and send them into battle using just their fists? After all, like you say, guns don't kill people, people kill people.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 07:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by enament

Originally posted by OtherSideOfTheCoin
reply to post by SLAYER69

I really don’t understand some on this site, I agree that Americans should have the rights of the Second amendment protected but the way they argue for it is just absurd.

The argument as i have said that guns don’t kill people, people kill people is flawed if the trigger is pulled then guns kill. Likewise this annoying argument that “well if you ban guns what about knifes and cars” is equally flawed they are separate arguments. If you are pro-gun then argue the benefits of owning guns such as self-defence, reduced crime, the preservation of culture and freedoms. Not these stupid arguments that just deflect form the real and very strong arguments to maintain the status quo of the law.

Look people are going to kill people no matter what you put in their hands. So you ban guns, violent knife crime increases, so lets just say you banned knives well here come the blunt instruments baseball bats clubs etc... Banning a gun does nothing whatsoever for preventing crime at all. If they can't shoot you they will stab you or beat you to death with a blunt instrument. If the will to harm is there, then harm will be done no matter what tool is available.

If someone wants to commit an act it really doesn't matter what tool they use.
The Gun seems to have a stigma attached to it. Personally I would much rather be shot then slashed to death with a butcher knife. How did you get so many stars on all of your comments??????? I wonder?

This is the type of argument I hate. "Knives are just as bad as guns". NO. THEY. ARE. NOT. If they were, the US Army would save a hell of a lot of money by giving their troops knives instead of guns. THINK about what you're saying. Sandy Hook, gunman kills 20 kids. Min Yingjun, knife-attacker, INJURES 22. Not KILLS. INJURES.
edit on 17-2-2013 by IBelieveInAliens because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 17  18  19    21  22  23 >>

join