It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jeb Bush Said He'd Strive to be a POTUS like Lyndon Johnson

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Miami Herald

Jeb Bush wouldnt' say Wednesday night whether nor not he's likely to run for president in 2016, but at St. Leo University he did suggest a surprising role model for the sort of president he'd strive to be: Lyndon Johnson.

No, the conservative former Florida governor didn't hail Johnsons Great Society initiatives. Instead, he hailed Johnsons forceful, hands on leadership that among other things produced a 25 percent across the board tax cut.

"He went and he cajoled, he begged, he threatened, he loved, he hugged, he did what leaders do, which is they personally get engaged to make something happen," said Bush, who recently read Robert Caro's latest Johnson biography.

My first reaction ... Johnson?? OH CRAP!!
My second reaction ... But he's said many times that he won't run for POTUS!
My third reaction ... He couldn't get elected anyway so forget about it.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 12:56 PM
link   
LBJ was an extremely demonstrative man. We could use someone with that quality. He however was the most racist POTUS in American history. Probably one of the most corrupt as well. Another Bush will have no chance of being elected in the next 20 years though. I can't imagine why he would even think about running for POTUS.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Lyndon Johnson?!?
Not a fan of Jeb Bush or any of that clan(yes.I voted for W...twice...please forgive me.I was much younger then) but were I jeb I think I would aim a little higher than LBJ.He was a lousy Texas governor,a forgettable Vice-President and the worst President.Until now,of course.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 02:02 PM
link   

LBJ had a rep for being a crude, cruel person who basically rose through the political ranks based on desire without much regard for anything else. One story I once read told of Johnson in a limo on his ranch. He ordered his driver to stop. He stepped out along with his personal Secret Service agents and then, urinated down the leg of one of those who was there to protect him. he said that it was his 'prerogative'.

My personal feeling is that LBJ should not be someone whom one should idealize or set as a role model.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Don't like either one Johnson nor Bush the 1968 gun control act and Bushs 10 to 20 gun law.

Both are peas in a pod that one issue alone is enough to earn my contempt.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 02:18 PM
link   
At least if he goes right for the President job instead of starting out as VP, he won't have to kill his boss to get into the job.

Once he gets the job though, does that mean we're going into another false-flag war that is waged to fill the pockets of his cronies?

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by redoubt

LBJ had a rep for being a crude, cruel person who basically rose through the political ranks based on desire without much regard for anything else. One story I once read told of Johnson in a limo on his ranch. He ordered his driver to stop. He stepped out along with his personal Secret Service agents and then, urinated down the leg of one of those who was there to protect him. he said that it was his 'prerogative'.

My personal feeling is that LBJ should not be someone whom one should idealize or set as a role model.

He was also known for his excessive (albeit some say objectively justified) pride in the size of his er, um…, "Johnson" - displaying it frequently at inopportune times.

I don't know of any modern President that should be emulated - that is just my personal opinion of course. Everyone since 1900 or so has been a progressive stooge for TPTB. Some more so than others of course. I think we'd have to go back to the founders to get someone with character. I personally like Andrew Jackson - he had his issues of course as all men do but he had stones and character.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by lynxpilot

You just hit the very two things that I thought of when I heard this .... Johnson and Vietnam .. and Johnson killed Kennedy (that picture of him winking on Air Force One when he was sworn in, with Jackie and her bloody dress standing next to him ... that was awful).

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Golf66

You mention Andrew Jackson .. he's my 2nd favorite president (behind Lincoln).
You also mention that Lyndon Johnson was 'innappropraite' .. I've heard that.

One thing about Johnson, there is a story about how when George Bush (43) decided to invade Iraq and gave the 'go ahead' order, Johnsons voice was heard in the Oval Office laughing maniacally. It's just a rumor, of course, but still .. it would be pretty wild for someone to come up with that on their own (IMHO).

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
reply to post by Golf66

You mention Andrew Jackson .. he's my 2nd favorite president (behind Lincoln).

Lincoln is in my book the begining of the end of States rights in America - all a down hill slide to rampant Federalsim after him.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by redoubt

Y'all heard LBJ ordering pants, haven't you? Crude, but hilarious...

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 04:33 PM
link   
You absolutely sure he didn't say a POS like Johnson?

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 04:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by jimmiec
LBJ was an extremely demonstrative man. We could use someone with that quality. He however was the most racist POTUS in American history. Probably one of the most corrupt as well. Another Bush will have no chance of being elected in the next 20 years though. I can't imagine why he would even think about running for POTUS.

(EDIT: OP, I just gave you your 5.000th flag! Congrats, that covers a lot of territory and a lot of sharing of ideas and information. Nice work.)

I have to defend Lyndon Johnson (as if he can't rise from the grave and defend himself, like all good Texans. You're lucky he's distracted, mister!). Maybe he was personally racist, I don't know, but publicly???? He carried in on his back the Voting Rights Act of 1965, the Civil Rights Act of 1964, and the Fair Housing Act of 1968. When the people tried to march from Selma to Montgomery in '65 and were beaten and clubbed for their troubles, Lyndon Johnson came on TV to say it was time for Voting Rights, not just later but now, right now, and he demanded an immediate bill. He actually said the words "We Shall Overcome", thus actually joining the Civil Rights Movement. One of the Civil Rights leaders honored Johnson with a public event every year on the anniversary of that speech. OK, the defense rests. And eats!
edit on 17-2-2013 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 04:43 AM
link   
Bush, Clinton, Bush, Bush, Obama (under Clinton), Obama (under Clinton), Bush or Clinton.

Don't you just love the ruling families? I wonder how long before one of them declares them self King? Looks like it's either Jeb Bush or Hilary Clinton in 2016!

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 05:43 AM
link   
reply to post by spqrenki

Honestly I don't think that he'll be elected. Even though hes the 'smart' Bush brother, he has a lot of baggage. His name is now baggage. His family has had some issues. His time has come and gone. He could have ran in 2000, but for some reason his brother George ran.

I don't see him running.

top topics

join