It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Truth About Subway.

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 11:03 PM
link   
This is quite the health food debate. I understand the underlying theme: Subway isn't that healthy. Many of these arguments are case in point. I could see both the 'there's not much difference between healthy and regular fast-food chains, make your own decision' and the 'well subway is the lesser evil' arguments; I think the question of how to be a healthy person has more to do with knowing your own body. I guess I'm mostly posting to argue about misinformation.
I regularly encounter people mistakenly generalizing health guidelines and using umbrella terms when they don't understand the actual processes. Before I continue may I suggest checking out this metabolic pathway chart Eating 'high-fat' or 'high-carb' diets are descriptions yes, but they ignore the quality of energy consumed and the situation of the consumer. As far as I can tell conditioning, genetics, and potentially epigenetics, play a role in which pathways a person is most efficient with.
The China Study found animal products to be a large contributor to disease and cancer. The Inuit peoples on the other hand ate Only animal products and were as healthy as could be. Fruits and vegetables, avocados aside, store energy in carbohydrates. I can't imagine genetics would adapt to not take benefit from these forms of energy.
As a runner, if I want accessible energy for sprinting bursts I tend towards low-glycemic carbs, while if I want sustained endurance I will load up on Unsaturated oils/fats the previous night. Processed sugar means a high insulin load causing it to take longer to hit your second wind. If you want energy don't spike your blood sugar or lipids, you will crash or become lethargic. When it comes to eating mechanically concentrated energy (ie: saturated fats and sucrose) the upset balance continues down the line. Pinch your fat. Is it firm and thick? Is it squishy and malleable?
If you don't care about getting in touch with yourself go ahead and debate the veil of choice, support the corruption you complain about, loudspeaker your videos, pray to godsanto that your grandchildren don't have incomplete chromosomes. One persons inattentive choice may very well be another persons well planned solution.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Well I think, there is no difference when someone eats 1 kkg of Subway, or 0.5 kg of Mcdonutlols because they are both unhealty. So it is amazing how they do it. Before, and sometimes today, they get perfectly healthy food like tomatoes, and they make it unhealty with additives and things. Now when it is properly posioned, then it is searved.

So, it is no problem if there is 1kg or 0.5kg of poison. It will kill you about the same speed. It is about mathematical formula of how fast you die when you eat that food. So they keep that formula on level they want.
edit on 16-2-2013 by poweref because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 11:41 PM
link   
reply to post by johnwilkesbooth

We always have the veggie whole wheat no may extra mustard....healthy!

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 02:27 AM
link   
All i like from mcd is fishy fish sandwich.

I think they are the worst thing they have.

I bought some ms paul's fish but it was all bread. I could not find the fish.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 02:45 AM
link   
I highly doubt my foot long veggie (vegetarian) sub on honey oat bread is equally unhealthy to the comparable caloric item on McDonald's menu.

Why can't the consumer multiply by two and get the nutritional info for the 12 inch?

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 03:08 AM
link   
I do not eat much fast food because the bread in most of them have azodicarbonamide. This chemical "my opinion" causes you to develop allergies. Not allergic to peanuts? Eat some with some bread with this in it and you might soon become so. There seems to be a large increase in soy allergies and I believe a major contributor is this chemical. Yes it is in almost all the bread from fast food places. I have confirmed subway and mcdonalds as well as others. I have not eaten subway since I found out. Here is the ingredients in subway bread'
subway
Yes not all their bread has it but enough that I do not want to go there. Here are just a couple of links that talk about this chemical.
There are many many more articles out there on this stuff.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 03:09 AM
link   

SnF very informative thread love the way the op put this together indeed a good job this is what people need to see it really depends on the content of the sandwich that is consumed and the portion size this is a big eye opener to me iv never went and just bought a 6 inch sub but i will for now on when im trying to watch my calorie ntake

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 12:04 PM
link   

lol firstly doesn't matter how good it is, or healthier than other choices its cold cut meats put between a slab of carbohydrates heh aka poor peoples food no matter how you look at it ^^

secondly , all you have to do is eat there once to realize how people are "losing" weight eating those subs,
YOU ONLY GET A COUPLE SLICES OF MEAT and paper thin at that lol complete rip off compared to any other sub shop the rest is salad and bread heh

ive never liked them because growing up they never had hot subs and the only other thing they ever had I liked was roast beef which I always had to pay extra to get more roast beef on it to make it even close to local sub shops

IM not a healthy eater at all, ill scoop my steak n cheese up off the ground and keep eating (joke but id think about it ^^) for me the cats meow of franchise subs is dangelos, they make a bomb steak n cheese and chicken stir fry (both called number nines now just in case you wanted to know lol)

but honestly, after I got my meat slicer I started learning to roast my own meats and I must say homemade is the way to go, I make a mean steakncheese BOMB ^^ to me comparing subway to anything to prove its healthy is like pointing at mc donalds and saying burger king is healthier lol, its all #$%& food. so if im going to eat #$%^& food, im gonna get the STEAK BOMB and just have my heart attack and deal ^^ lol

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 01:58 PM
link   
PERSONALLY I NEVER EAT IN ONE OR THE OTHER,NO FAST FOOD RESTAURANTS FOR ME,OR MY FAMILY.......

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by johnwilkesbooth

I'm sorry, do you eat the wrapper? No. The wrapper comment was quite unnecessary.
I'm sorry, do you read the post? No. Ignoring details leads to inaccurate results.

↓↓↓↓

Originally posted by BrokenCircles

When calculating the totals, did you include the additional calories in the 'wrapper grease'?
The reason it is on the wrapper, is because the bun already reached it's limit, and cannot hold any more.

In order to reach an accurate definitive conclusion, ALL variables need to be taken into consideration.

Such an abundant amount of grease soaked through the wax paper, guarantees that a considerable amount has soaked into the bun also.

Originally posted by johnwilkesbooth

Moving on, I believe the "as you said, you like Subway comment" was me taking from the fact that you were saying that YOUR wrapper from Subway doesn't contain grease, therefore it is healthier.

Since I have received both of the 2 possibilities from McDonalds, there was no need for me to clearly state that my conclusion was based only upon my own experiences.

Regarding Subway however, since I have only received 1 of the 2 possibilities, and since I don't go around inspecting other people's Subway wrappers, I cannot speak in absolutes.

edit on 2/17/13 by BrokenCircles because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Interesting thread. However, I noticed that your argument focuses on the amount of calories in each meal and doesn't make much mention of what the meal is actually composed of.

I've not heard anything terribly bad about the contents of subway sandwiches, however I know mcdonalds food is all proceeded with pink slime, GMO corn buns, etc. It's all crap. Subway, on the other hand, is high in energy but does it contain all the same garbage as Mcdonalds ?

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 05:46 PM
link   
This thread is a joke right?

Have you ever seen a Mcdonalds sandwich? If you want to make a comparison, use 3 or 4 Mcdonalds sandwiches, not 1. The content in a footlong sub is far more than an entire Mcdonalds meal. You're comparing apples to oranges here.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tuttle
Calories dont really mean very much.

I can consume 10,000 calories a day If I choose, just as long as I remember and balance that with a proportionate amount of exercise and nutrient intake.

Also i'm pretty sure, lettuce, olives, gherkins, pepper, onions, tomato and jalapenos are healthier for me than a bacon double cheese burger. But then im no nutritionist, just a hunch I kinda have. Bread is the killer though, bread is bad.
edit on 16-2-2013 by Tuttle because: (no reason given)

Spot on! I think this thread is a little misleading and a bit unfair on Subway. I say this as someone who rarely eats there.

I go to the gym quite regularly so I consume a fair amount of calories. What I don't want to consume is saturated fat. Using the OP's references, most Subway 6" subs compare very favorably against a Big Mac sandwich which has 10g of saturated fat.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 06:31 PM
link   
I decided to get a sausage egg mcmuffin today as it has been several years since I'd ingested such a thing and nostalgia, and the fact a friend had consumed mcdonalds in front of me the night before, inspired me to get one.

It has now been six hours and I am just beginning to return to a state of homeostasis; asymptomatic of the palpable distress this "sandwich" caused me, subjective feelings regarding its flavor, consistency, appearance, odor, and artificiality aside.

The OP has taken many opportunities throughout this thread to be flagrantly disingenuous. Especially as someone who is portraying him- or herself as extremely knowledgeable, it removes any concern your statements may have been made out of ignorance. Math has always been my primary subject, unlike most people, and I know immediately when I am shown facts and figures that a shadier version of myself has sat behind a desk, waving his magic math wand doing his math magic, manipulating the numbers to create the image he desires to promote. It's crsytal, no, it's Criss Angel transparent to me.

Simple carbs, complex carbs, monounsaturated fats, polyunsaturated fats, saturated fats, trans fats and protein are not equal things. They can not be substituted for each other as elements of an equation. X amount of carbs will never equal Y amount of fat or Z amount of protein. It's a false equivalency. They may contain similar properties, such as caloric content by weight, but that's really of no consequence outside of peculiarly myopic discussions, of which we are not having here, considering a system as complex as human health.

Also cleverly implied, is that processed cheese, and "burger meat" are similarly equivalent objects as vegetables and vinegar. It is not even worth stating that X amount of bread will never equal Y amount of meat, but the argument has been made here, so apparently it must be said. And before you go stating that argument has not been made, remember that the villain in this "Subway Scenario" is bread, which is pointed out despite the laughable observation that hamburgers, themselves, are all but wrapped completely in a warm bread-like bun. McDonalds flagship sandwich, no less, is a double cheeseburger whose entire cachet is built on the premise it contains an extra half-bun, a pretty lame feature when you really think about it. Unhealthy white bread is actually the only common denominator one can reasonably remove from the equation with any sort of intellectual honesty, but it doesn't help the argument.

A person can walk into Subway and choose a whole grain, six inch vegetable sub with oil and balsamic vinegar and get nutrients, vitamins, a small bit of monounsaturated fat to absorb those nutrients and vitamins, and have plenty of readily usable energy for the day. Throwing on one type of lunch meat won't excessively throw off the scales either. No honest person on Earth would argue a better, more nutritious, comparably sized and priced sandwich or burger could be found inside mcdonalds.

I haven't touched this type of food in five years (besides moments of stupidity like today, which happens probably once per annum). I'm all but vegan now (I follow a Taoist diet, fyi) and would recommend people avoid every one of those places, and by all means a supermarket made sandwich using organic ingredients is the right choice.

But, I say this as a once avid consumer of all fast food that ever was. I could rattle off my favorite orders at McDonald's, Subway, Burger King, Arby's, Taco Bell, Wendy's, A&W, I'm telling you I used to eat it all, all the time. I'm not just a Subway fan or something, this thread particularly gets me with its dishonest portrayal of the facts and seemingly marketing campaign-like allusion to everyone's favorite snacks at America's favorite small town, country home, real folk, suspender wearin' McDonalds!

TL;DR:
I'm not sure if this was "guerilla marketing," just plain deceitful propaganda, or a tragically conceived post, but it's useless.
edit on 17-2-2013 by guanyu because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-2-2013 by guanyu because: perfectionism

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Isn't this like comparing horse manure to cow manure?
Maybe the best, safest, healthiest is to stay away from all fast food restaurants.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 11:38 PM
link   
reply to post by remembering

Sorry but the countries where azodicarbonamide is prohibited as a food additive have the similar level of allergy cases as the US. If your theory was correct then they would have a lower incidence rate.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 01:24 AM
link   
I got to get a slower reading.

I opened the thread expecting a theory how trains underground had a hidden truth.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Here are more reasons why Subway isn't healthy:

Food Babe Investigates: Is Subway real food?

She lists of things like various forms of MSG, food coloring, preservatives, high fructose corn syrups, other GMOs, carcinogens, pesticides etc.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 10:42 AM
link   
You can order a "Healthy" sub. It's when you add that bag of chips, the soda, and all the extra topings I see individuals stacking on top. Extra bacon (Which I don't know if that bacon is actually Bacon, i'm not a fan of faking bacon....) Extra mayo, extra everything.... Awesome, take a healthier low cal sub and turn it into a cholesteral war submarine machine on the heart.

Shucks, you can do the same thing to a homemade sandwhich pending your condiments~ So the issue isn't Subway, the issue Condiments~!!! Do you really need that extra mayo? MMMMMmmmm laaaard~

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by TFCJay
Gimme a deer steak any day!

better yet, I'll take your deer steak and raise you four buffalo burgers. Your call.

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join