It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Truth About Subway.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Liquesence

I do only touch on calories, because that seems to be what other people care about.

I have a vast knowledge on food.

Take fat for example. Many people think that fat is bad for you. "Fat makes you fat." Terrible.
Fat is essential. It's what the cells use for energy for goodness sake.

So yes, Subway touts the fact that they have subs with less than 6 grams of fat. They don't specify what type of fat.

Do you really think that taking in 40 grams of carbs. from just the bread alone (comparable to the 45 grams in a Large Mountain Dew) is worse than 10 grams of saturated fat?

I've said it before, and I'll say it again....the bread is the worst part about Subway. 40 grams of carbs in just the bread alone (voices.yahoo.com...).

Eat more fat (sat. and monounsat. fats) and eat less carbs.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by johnwilkesbooth

Originally posted by johnwilkesbooth

As you said, you like Subway.
I said no such thing.

The point was clearly posted towards the end. It wasn't to tell you that McDonald's is equally or even more healthier than Subway; the point was that if you're going to eat fast food you might as well eat what you would like, because it doesn't make too much of a difference.
I know what you're saying, and I know what I'm saying. I am simply questioning the validity of the totals that you presented for McDonalds. I think they are higher than you say.
[color=999999](How much higher? I have no idea, but higher nonetheless)

When calculating the totals, did you include the additional calories in the 'wrapper grease'?
The reason it is on the wrapper, is because the bun already reached it's limit, and cannot hold any more.

There's no reason to change your favorite places due to this research, just your way of thinking.
I already said that the extra greasy McBurgers are the best. mmmm
I'm all about the flavor. I don't care much about the calories.

People make fun of people because they drink diet soda because they think they're doing a difference. They truly are. What's the difference? About 45 grams of carbs, and you know how I feel about carbs.

Do your research first, I have.
Also, the diet drinks contain a special bonus gift of additional poison, in the form of Aspartame.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by GoShredAK

I understand, I was just being hard on you.

I try to tell people that facts so that way they don't miss out on the foods that they love just because they believe that they are bad for them when they aren't.

Take cheese for example, I bet you'd love to eat more of it but until now you thought that it was terrible. Now you can rest easy

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Xaphan

It's all personal preference, again.

I'm not telling you Subway isn't healthier. What I'm saying is, if you're one of those people that wants McDon. but rather eats Subway because it's healthier, you might as well just have McDonalds.

Subways meats are processed, as are McDonalds.
Vegetables are left in containers until they are empty (who knows how long that could be).
Finally, their bread alone has almost the same amount of carbs as a bottle of Mt. Dew.

Healthier? Show me the fine line.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 11:20 AM
link   

I made a post earlier, in this thread, that tells what I drink.

Ordinarily I drink water or black tea (sorry, I don't like green or white although they're healthier).

For Christmas, I got a SodaStream. What I drink is their Diet Cola. It actually contains no aspartame.

It tastes great too and I feel healthy. Remember, it's all in moderation.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Yes that's true, It's always been kind of a bummer to bypass the cheese, but I was over-thinking, they only give you a tiny serving anyway.....it's tough to constantly maintain a healthy diet! But ever since I started down this road I've been feeling so much better physically and mentally.

Eating good and exercise actually eliminated my anxiety and panic attacks (long story for a thread ill start someday when I've got time to do it right)

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by BrokenCircles

I'm sorry, do you eat the wrapper? No. The wrapper comment was quite unnecessary.

Moving on, I believe the "as you said, you like Subway comment" was me taking from the fact that you were saying that YOUR wrapper from Subway doesn't contain grease, therefore it is healthier.

Sorry, but to me that just sounded like you like to eat there.

Furthermore, I do know that Diet Soda, in a health standpoint, isn't healthy at all. Much like the main debate between Subway and McDonalds, one is just healthier.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 11:29 AM
link   

A star for you buddy, good for you.

I worked out in the past, I would still do it but I find myself too tired from my day job to actually continue working out (I load 40,000 pounds of product and freight in to the backs of trailers to be shipped to stores).

During that time though, I felt great!

It truly is a great feeling, one that you'd want the rest of America to feel.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by g146541

Not sure if anyone else caught that but i did, and laughed.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 11:43 AM
link   
I think another true problem in this world is the fact that in a beverage machine, why is it that a bottle of Soda is either the SAME price or only a quarter more than water.

At my place of work, McLane, the beverage machine actually has Soda for $1.00 and Water for $1.00.

To be honest, to the average and not health conscious person, who wouldn't choose the soda over the water?

But, if you're serious about your health and want to know more true facts about food, there's a movie for you.

en.wikipedia.org...

"Fat Head". This movie is currently on the Netflix Instant Stream, so if you'd like to watch it and have 104 minutes to spare, I recommend it.

I'll be honest, it does truly sag in the middle. The beginning and end are where the true points are made, but the middle kind of does drag on, however there are a lot of facts for you to take in, some facts you'd hardly believe.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by sputniksteve

John Pinette.

I did catch it as well.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 11:46 AM
link   
LOL, why is this even being debated? Of course Subway is bad for you. It's glorified fast food. I can't believe people are dumb enough to believe that Subway food should be part of a diet. What a ridiculous, unnecessary thread

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by MidnightToker

Although I appreciate you and agreeing with me, many people actually believe that it is healthy.

They see that Jared lost so much weight, why can't they be the next Jared?

I'm just trying to open some closed eyes, which is necessary.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 12:18 PM
link   

I'm happy you have a vast knowledge of food.

Yes, carbs and calories are what others *seem* to care about, because that's the latest health trend, and it's pretty ridiculous. I get sick and tired of all these people carry on about how bad carbs are as if they're eating poison. "OMG there're carbs in there, we can't eat carbs!" Carbs are not necessarily bad for you. As long as you burn off what you eat. True, there are good carbs and "bad" carbs, and it's best to eat whole grains & fiber versus refined white bread, but eating subway bread is not exactly "unhealthy" or bad for you. It's just bread. Simple as that.

The problem with carbs, etc in today's life is that people are lazy sedentarians. That is where the problems come in. If they keep eating carbs and sit on their butts all day, they will gain weight.

Speaking of calories, i have noticed that this whole carb trend people tend to eat wraps instead of bread. I have compared several breads and grain wraps and you know what.....one tortilla wrap has more calories than 2 slices of bread. Kinda ironic, if you ask me.

Too much of anything is bad for you. Yes, fat is necessary, but its intake should be limited to non-saturated fats and in moderation.

Fat and sodium are the two culprits, and the amount of sodium in fast food is outrageous, which is why I won't eat Captain D's. There's like a year's worth of sodium in one meal, lol.

As far as the 40g of carbs from bread versus 45g in Mtn Dew, well, while both are carbs the Mtn Dew is a different kind of carb: straight refined SUGAR. So yeah, it'd say it's worse.

Eat more fat eat less carbs? Um, no. We get enough fat in our diets as it is, usually too much. We get enough carbs too, but because our lives are generally sedentary, they are too much. Carbs are fuel. I need fuel when active. Protein, yes. Carbs, yes. If running low on fuel, i might even eat a candy bar for the temporary sugar-fuel-up.

It just depends on one's lifestyle. For sedentary, fat is just as bad as excessive carbs.

People just need to learn how to eat and not get on all these fads.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 12:37 PM
link   
In my opinion, I believe that Subway is healthier than most places. I'm not sure about saying its pretty much at the very very top.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Liquesence

Eat more fat eat less carbs? Um, no. We get enough fat in our diets as it is, usually too much. We get enough carbs too, but because our lives are generally sedentary, they are too much. Carbs are fuel. I need fuel when active. Protein, yes. Carbs, yes. If running low on fuel, i might even eat a candy bar for the temporary sugar-fuel-up.

It just depends on one's lifestyle. For sedentary, fat is just as bad as excessive carbs.

People just need to learn how to eat and not get on all these fads.

While yes, the general consensus is that our lives are sedentary, that is wrong. With the "trend" of people caring what they eat, they also tend to exercise more. I've never seen more people running and biking or even lifting then I have in the last few years.

You say carbs are fuel.....guess what so is fat. The difference? One kicks in immediately and one takes up to even 12 hours. Fat works faster, the fact that you'd eat a candy bar for a quick fix just shows you don't know how to eat yourself.

You want quick energy? Eat an apple/banana. Protein, absolutely. But carbs, no. They take the place of fat, take longer, and don't work as fast and as well. Fats, yes. Exercise, yes. Carbs, no.

As "Fat Bastard" from "Austin Powers: Goldmember" would say, "Carbs are the enemy."

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 02:20 PM
link   
I can't believe people do eat in those junk/crap food$ places !!
Welllll. . . I HAVE to believe, they do not bankrupt !! B-)

Around 1970, when McD got in Canada, I did go eat there, 4 times.

I remember one time it was in Drummondville.
I remember another time it was near Sherbrooke.
I don't remember the 2 other occasions.

BUT, I DO remember that the ***4*** times, I did vomit/regurgitate all the stuff !!!!
It took me 4 times TO LEARN !!! B-)))))

Sooooooo, I NEVER went back to those poisonned food crooks again !!!
. . .since 1970 ish. . .

And we now do our groceries in organic stores like TAU, Avril,
and in the organic sections of IGA. . .
Avril has an organic restaurant, too !!! Cool !!

Blue skies.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 02:22 PM
link   
I know this might be difficult to accept for some folks but... Chain restaurants (all of them) = CRAP.

Subway, like all chain restaurants are salty and nasty.

I guess I am lucky that my town has the second worse McDonalds in California (first worst being the town just north of here)

Our subway, is equally as disgusting.

For me, this means = no temptation.

Because even if they did clean their kitchen every once in a while: the ingredients are still crap.

Go make yourself a real sandwich. It will still be cheaper, better food.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 02:24 PM
link   
There is always liposuction and funhouse mirrors. There might be body acceptance too, if you believe in it over those magical calorie fairies that inhabit food people eat. Save the calorie fairies! Eat less food!

No first let me throw out that whole doctrine of the calorie. It's a myth, in my opinion; I don't believe in magic numbers through generic caloric measuring. Sure you could reference "nutritional authority" and even scientific communities, but you won't get your health out of calories. There goes half your criticism about what to eat.

There is another myth: "healthy" What is healthy? It's all unhealthy if an unhealthy person eats against their health; when they are not hungry, it's not mealtime, and don't need to eat. Except water; nobody can fail with water, which is a macronutrient.

I don't understand the brand-targeting. Who paid you to libel one of the dozens of fast food places built to separate people from their money? Shill much?

I'm more for de-branding food into it's real components to add up what is eaten in a day. Your typical sandwich combo is going to be bread, meat, vegetable, plus fried potato product and sugar water. Now you know it's the same formula in every fast food place, but different ingredients. So look at the ingredients.

You know, it is my body.

The truth is that all big name chain restaurants brainwash. There, just debrainwash yourself, problem solved.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 02:27 PM
link   

It's not the calorie, but where the calorie comes from. Does it come from fat, simple carbs(sugars), complex carbs, etc... McDonald's is clearly much less healthy than Subway.

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join