It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Zombie cell created at the University of New Mexico!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 01:24 AM
link   
evern farther implications is the fact that the general idea is to have the silicon become the cell, to enact its entire function after all the living tissue is burnt away. borg nanites anyone?

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 01:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by bekod
reply to post by havok

Bio AI , silica, being the chip could out last, out perform a living cell, do you get it now? "Sky net" as the term is so used is just about to be real. Think of a Drone having AI self targeting real time up link, or a super computer with real time thought, solutions, to problems and questions.

And an simple EMP weapon would devastate silicon based cells...

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 02:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by hawkiye

reply to post by havok

Bio AI , silica, being the chip could out last, out perform a living cell, do you get it now? "Sky net" as the term is so used is just about to be real. Think of a Drone having AI self targeting real time up link, or a super computer with real time thought, solutions, to problems and questions.

I didn't know silicon was magnetic or had an electric field.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 03:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by TiM3LoRd

reply to post by havok

it is a semi conductor of electricity whch most of our electronics rely on these days which is why we are so vulnerable to EMP attack.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 05:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by TiM3LoRd

reply to post by havok

it is a semi conductor of electricity whch most of our electronics rely on these days which is why we are so vulnerable to EMP attack.

silicone or silicon?
edit on 17-2-2013 by TiM3LoRd because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 05:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hopechest
All zombie outbreaks start with the some kind of experiment with cells don't they?

I guess its a given now, better practice my shotgun skills.

In all the Zombie films i've seen, there seems to be one common Zombie fact...they can't swim.

Why do the survivors never seem to think it a good idea to get on a boat and find a smallish deserted island to live on until the Zombies starve?

Even a cruise liner in the middle of the ocean would be better than trying to survive in 'civilisation' wouldn't it?

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 06:02 AM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

Zombies aren't made of silicone.

Right......

Until now!

Imagine it. We upgrade humans with silicon cells.... then the zombie apocalyse arrives.
They may be harder to kill!

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 06:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by goou111

Originally posted by Hopechest
All zombie outbreaks start with the some kind of experiment with cells don't they?

I guess its a given now, better practice my shotgun skills.

How many zombie outbreaks have there been?

A bunch, they just don't tell most people because they think it might affect, well never mind that. Let's just hope the next zombie outbreak doesn't start in Kenya because there is no way any of us can outrun them.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 07:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by watchitburn
Maybe I am reading this wrong, but it sounds to me like they are just making a cast cell of silica using the existing cell as the mold.

While it is cool and noteworthy, I don't see anything sinister or zombieish going on here.
Unfortunately.
Ummm....not quite...they also stated that...NOT...heating the cell after it's silicic acid immersion left the cell functioning but with all of the internal and external structures "coated in silica" so that the surviving cell was able to withstand greater pressures and temperatures. This is with the proteins , lipids, etc....intact...

YouSir

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 08:29 AM
link   
lol so its a cyborg that's never dangerous, but on a serious
note this is really awesome tech, id honestly want nanonic
implants simply for storage of memory, just having a
perfect memory would move our species forward so much
faster, could you imagine if used benignly, i know it would
never happen, but genetic memory, born knowing everything
you need for life already, the possibilities are nearly endless.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by bloodreviara
lol so its a cyborg that's never dangerous, but on a serious
note this is really awesome tech, id honestly want nanonic
implants simply for storage of memory, just having a
perfect memory would move our species forward so much
faster, could you imagine if used benignly, i know it would
never happen, but genetic memory, born knowing everything
you need for life already, the possibilities are nearly endless.

Sorry, but the perfect memory will not be allowed.

That's the last thing TPTB would want us to have.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Char-Lee

Several times they say they can function.

Yes, it does say "function" and that is also misleading. By function, it does not mean the cell has any capacity to carry out any of the processes or movement associated with a living cell. The "function" these "zombie" cells accomplish is like that of a model, or for experimental purposes and research. Like a tool. Imagine studying the anatomy of a taxidermy horse; there are certain advantages over examining the real thing.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Theflyingweldsman

I read it twice thanks... Its not about people getting my point of veiw. I just put the link to the story here. Sorry if this websites is as close as you have ever made it to being a journalist. Maybe one day you will be. For me Im just gonna stick to my narrow Facebook state of mind! I just pass what I read along... Thanks!!!

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 10:15 AM
link   
I wonder if this ,eventually, could be used on cancer patients, replacing healthy cells killed off by chemo and/or radiation? Could we be getting closer to immortality? Sign me up!

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 10:18 AM
link   
This is quite amazing, to be able to see a cell the way it should be changes everything we know about histology, microbiology, and biochem. I'm sure some of the biologist here know the frustration with making slides or trying to see tissues/cells in an awful slide. I imagine though since these are fossils that would have to use a scanning electron microscope to see the cell anyone else agree? This is not a zombie though, it is "rapid fossilization" as stated in the article.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy
reply to post by AfterInfinity

Zombies aren't made of silicone.

Right......

Until now!

Imagine it. We upgrade humans with silicon cells.... then the zombie apocalyse arrives.
They may be harder to kill!
Ummm.....OR, the 12 gauge 00 to the face might make a most pleasing glass-like shatter.... incredibly pressure and heat resistant zombies that can shrug off a flame thrower...but...require a "handle with care"..."Fragile" sticker.

YouSir

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 12:22 PM
link   

reply to post by havok

Why is that?

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by chrome413

Originally posted by Char-Lee

Several times they say they can function.

Yes, it does say "function" and that is also misleading. By function, it does not mean the cell has any capacity to carry out any of the processes or movement associated with a living cell. The "function" these "zombie" cells accomplish is like that of a model, or for experimental purposes and research. Like a tool. Imagine studying the anatomy of a taxidermy horse; there are certain advantages over examining the real thing.

As he says above post.
Also I don't see why no even after the burn of of bio material if the proper chemical and electrical is applied.

Ummm....not quite...they also stated that...NOT...heating the cell after it's silicic acid immersion left the cell functioning but with all of the internal and external structures "coated in silica" so that the surviving cell was able to withstand greater pressures and temperatures. This is with the proteins , lipids, etc....intact... YouSir

“Once we’ve used silica to stabilize the cellular structure, it can still carry out reactions and, more importantly, that reaction is stable enough to work at high temperatures,” Kaehr said. “

share.sandia.gov...
edit on 17-2-2013 by Char-Lee because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by georgeandrew

Originally posted by georgeandrew
Its not about people getting my point of veiw.

well, it is, actualy. The thread should be your take on it, not just a link.
This is ats, the reason it exists is because of peoples views.
Deny Ignorance.

Sorry if this websites is as close as you have ever made it to being a journalist. Maybe one day you will be.

Thank you for the complement, amigo,
but I just like reading intresting opinions on intresting topics.
I don't want to be a Journalist.
I want to be an engineer.
I'm a tentative poster, new to forums in general.
I did read all about how to start a thread, though.

Be Descriptive: Please do not create minimal thread-starters that simply ask people to check out a link or video.

From here...

Peace and good wishes to you, my friend.
May all your situations have the best possible outcomes.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by denynothing
This is quite amazing, to be able to see a cell the way it should be changes everything we know about histology, microbiology, and biochem. I'm sure some of the biologist here know the frustration with making slides or trying to see tissues/cells in an awful slide. I imagine though since these are fossils that would have to use a scanning electron microscope to see the cell anyone else agree? This is not a zombie though, it is "rapid fossilization" as stated in the article.

They make it sound like that is the usual way?

ZOMBIE CELL, ADVANCED -- This cell was pyrolized to 900 C in the absence of oxygen, leaving a cell of graphitic carbon and silica. Because carbon is conductive, the cell – practically identical to its protoplasmic original – doesn’t need to be coated in gold to produce an SEM image.

share.sandia.gov...

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join