It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Zombie cell created at the University of New Mexico!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity
From what I read in the article, this isn't a zombie cell. It's an android cell. No, not an android cell phone, an artificial replica of human tissue. That constitutes as an android, not as a zombie.

That's not any better! At least Zombies are slow!
edit on 16-2-2013 by forgetmenot because: for the South!

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Hopechest

Cardio.

2nd.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by OptimusSubprime

Originally posted by Hopechest
All zombie outbreaks start with the some kind of experiment with cells don't they?

I guess its a given now, better practice my shotgun skills.

Aim for the head!

double tap....always!

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 06:14 PM
link   
What a horribly misleading description being used here- Zombie cells. Who ever came up with this knew full well when choosing this name what connotations people associate with the term Zombie.

These are not living cells. Well, zombies aren't alive either, but at least they can move, which these "zombie cells" cannot. They are merely exact replica copies of a formerly living cell, made of silicon. I liken this to taxidermy on steroids.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Zechariah 14:12 (KJV)
And this shall be the plague wherewith the Lord will smite all the people that have fought against Jerusalem; Their flesh shall consume away while they stand upon their feet, and their eyes shall consume away in their holes, and their tongue shall consume away in their mouth.

Kinda sounds like a zombie apocalypse don't it ?

You have to wonder if they make some cells and screw up and they multiply and start eating flesh..

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Hopechest

Forget shotgun skills... You need a cricket bat!

edit on 16/2/13 by Insomniac because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by chrome413
What a horribly misleading description being used here- Zombie cells. Who ever came up with this knew full well when choosing this name what connotations people associate with the term Zombie.

These are not living cells. Well, zombies aren't alive either, but at least they can move, which these "zombie cells" cannot. They are merely exact replica copies of a formerly living cell, made of silicon. I liken this to taxidermy on steroids.

he resultant hardened silica structures are faithful to the exterior and interior features of the formerly living cell, can survive greater pressures and temperatures than flesh ever could, and can perform some functions better than when they were alive,

Several times they say they can function.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 09:46 PM
link   
"To her fair works did Nature link The human soul that through me ran; And much it grieved my heart to think What man has made of man."(Will.i.am. Wordsworth)

Please read the article before posting any more nonsense about Zombies!

This is not Zombie cells, they are "fossillised" with silica to preserve their nanostructure.

Because of this, they can be used as tiny machines to process certain chemicals etc.

The work uses the nanoscopic organelles and other tiny components of mammalian cells as fragile templates on which to deposit silica. The researchers then heat the cell to burn off its protein. The resultant hardened silica structures are faithful to the exterior and interior features of the formerly living cell

Cells minus Protein equals skeleton cell, or in this case, Fossilized cell.

Ergo Dead. Not living dead, not Zombies.

Whatever nano mechanisim the cell once used to process chemicals in life can be preserved exactly.

"It's very challenging for researchers to build structures at the nanometer scale," said Kaehr. "We can make particles and wires, but 3-D arbitrary structures haven't been achieved yet. With this technique, we don't need to build those structures -- nature does it for us. We only need to find cells that possess the machinery we want and copy it using our technique. And, using chemistry or surface patterning, we can program a group of cells to form whatever shape seems desirable."

Because a cell is populated by a vast range of proteins, lipids and scaffolding, its interior is ready-made to model catalysts, funnels, absorbents and other useful nanomachinery

So... Good Stuff....

Catalysts that evolve in cells are enzymes that have to retain a certain shape for their chemistry to work. Since structure is important to function, stabilizing a catalyst in the shape it evolved is important,

This is fascinating science and cutting edge nano-engineering.

Unfortunatly they are scientists and don't really know what a zombie is.

They were never allowed to stay up that late.

Very misleading Title

kinda ruined the possible discussion about the cool applications of these nanofilters and catalysts...

.........Clean water in the third world, anyone?

......anyone?

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 09:54 PM
link   
after reading the article the first thing that came to my mind is a TV show about some submarine that had skin over or as it's hull to prevent corrosion. As long as the silicon doesn't multiply on it's own we're ok, but how long will that take if it does happen.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 09:58 PM
link   

From what I read in the article, this isn't a zombie cell. It's an android cell. No, not an android cell phone, an artificial replica of human tissue. That constitutes as an android, not as a zombie.

Doesn't matter had Six!

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 10:15 PM
link   
reply to post by georgeandrew

Originally posted by georgeandrew
Long time veiwer first time poster! I found this to be interesting, didnt find anything on ats about it. The (UNM) labratory has created a silica coated zombie cell. They stated that it "outperforms living cells".

www.sciencedaily.com...

www.huffingtonpost.co.uk...

Ok, I know haven't even posted an introduction thread yet,

but here's a tip....

This isn't facebook.

Before starting a thread,

please read more than just the title of the huffington post.

Someone could have written a good, informative, researched thread on this subject.

And you broke it with your "zombies".

Sorry, man.

Had to let it out.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by bloodreviara
What can anyone say about this kind of thing, i often wonder what kind of drugs
these scientists are on, next news blurb, Army introduces new missile defense
system, Codename: Skynet -.-
i say we nuke it now and pretend it never happened.

Must be a combination drug like PEP-C( Ha ha, T&C prevents me from naming the drugs I made this pun from.) To want to # with nature like this...

Everyone knows all the good scientists do Alice-D.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 10:34 PM
link   
reply to post by IcyKnight

Originally posted by IcyKnight
after reading the article the first thing that came to my mind is a TV show

...Of course it was. Stop watching TV.

As long as the silicon doesn't multiply on it's own we're ok, but how long will that take if it does happen.

Stop reading the huffington post. Read the source article.

Fossils cannot multiply.

Thats why Dinosaur fossils in a museum only increase in numbers when they find more fossils in the ground..

Fossils are usualy very old. a gazzillion years. At least. Often older...

Fossilisation Preserves the Structure.

Nothing more. Bone is mineralised and turns to "rock"

This is the same thing only faster.

no DNA, no babies, no worries...

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 11:19 PM
link   
reply to post by watchitburn

I think you missed a key point of the articles, that the cells continue to function in the same way as the original organic cells - in some cases they function better.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Theflyingweldsman

Nothing more. Bone is mineralised and turns to "rock"

This is the same thing only faster.

It is not the same thing - the cells aren't mineralised, they're coated with silica and the original organic structure "burned" off. It's entirely different than fossilization.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 11:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Rizzle6481

It is odd how some can make a futuristic statement, and it is relevant to the here and now i give you a self replicating robot news.sciencemag.org... from the link

A stack of high-tech blocks can copy itself, engineers report. That seemingly simple accomplishment marks a step toward fully self-replicating robots.

Futurists and sci-fi aficionados have long dreamt of sophisticated machines that replicate themselves. But producing such machines remains a challenge. In the 1950s, mathematicians Lionel and Roger Penrose devised sets of interlocking tiles that could "self-replicate" by forcing other tiles into similar configurations. More recently, mechanical engineer Gregory Chirikjian and colleagues at Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore, Maryland, have built miniature bulldozers out of Legos that can assemble others of their kind by piecing together several previously assembled modules, such as chassis and tracks.
Now add a few nano's , you got self healing Drones or AI computers, better yet a true storm trooper , oh come on, you don't think they would use this to make sick people healthy do ya, at lest not at first.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 11:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hopechest
All zombie outbreaks start with the some kind of experiment with cells don't they?

I guess its a given now, better practice my shotgun skills.

How many zombie outbreaks have there been?

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 11:59 PM
link   
zombie outbreak=meth outbreak

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 12:56 AM
link   

Zombies aren't made of silicone.

Ya its not a zombie its a synthetic cell modeled and made from a biological cell, get a few trillions of these to be able to bond somehow and reproduce and you would have yourself a synthetic lifeforms based on silicon and biomass a cyborg made out of cells instead of parts. Like they say fantasy stuff, but coincidentally if it can be made stable and actual lifeforms can be remade not just cells the only thing left to do since there not technically biological cells and as such wont function with the same raw material they would need some sort of plastic or silicon base to feed off instead of biomass such as trees and meat, and were the hell would we get that...OH wait its only like humanities main waste by-product...Plastic. Maybe George Carlin was right and we are here because the earth wanted to make plastic.

"This method is simple. The preserved cells will never get sloppy in decay. And when we cracked open the resulting structure, we were blown away by how well the cell was preserved, down to the minor groove of the cell's DNA."

Its a combination of chemistry and biology they just seem to be coating cells in silica while keeping the cells still functioning to certain degrees, creating copy's of them that can function somewhat and outperform for longer periods of time and at higher temperatures and enduring much more stress. However It can not replicate on its own, and if it were introduced into the host of which the cell came from it would be a cancer, however if it could reproduce by itself, or if it could somehow start taking over every single cell in the body turning every bio cell into a fully functional silica cell, then it would be technically a higher life-form, and I suppose you can call it a zombie, as it would technically eat and transform humans, only into a higer lifeform kind of like how a caterpillar turns into a butterfly. Sci Fi book stuff I know.

Hey maybe these Morgellons people aren't seeing and imagining things maybe there just early recipients of specific tests on human biology, which would interpret itself in the form of a sort of cancer or things crawling under there skin. After all what is all biology if not trial and error over billions and billions of years, the same would apply to a silicon based lifeforms or really anything else, trial and error till it gets things right. However during that process many countless hosts would of lived and died, and most unwittingly and unknowingly.

edit on 17-2-2013 by galadofwarthethird because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 01:22 AM
link   
I find it interesting that we can now armor cells... it states if you treat the cells and don't heat them, they continue to work but with just a silica armor around the cell

now where is our monthly injection for that
would repell all diseease and cell change...

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join