It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Zombie cell created at the University of New Mexico!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 08:16 AM
link   
Long time veiwer first time poster! I found this to be interesting, didnt find anything on ats about it. The (UNM) labratory has created a silica coated zombie cell. They stated that it "outperforms living cells".

www.sciencedaily.com...

www.huffingtonpost.co.uk...

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 08:19 AM
link   
All zombie outbreaks start with the some kind of experiment with cells don't they?

I guess its a given now, better practice my shotgun skills.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 08:21 AM
link   
What can anyone say about this kind of thing, i often wonder what kind of drugs
these scientists are on, next news blurb, Army introduces new missile defense
system, Codename: Skynet -.-
i say we nuke it now and pretend it never happened.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hopechest
All zombie outbreaks start with the some kind of experiment with cells don't they?

Aim for the head!

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 08:47 AM
link   
Maybe I am reading this wrong, but it sounds to me like they are just making a cast cell of silica using the existing cell as the mold.

While it is cool and noteworthy, I don't see anything sinister or zombieish going on here.
Unfortunately.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 08:49 AM
link   
reply to post by georgeandrew

Well...

I can't believe this isn't bigger news to the community yet.
That is quite controversial....a dead cell that outperforms a living cell.
What exactly would be the purpose?

Good find.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 08:54 AM
link   
This is not reanimation of dead cells!!!

The science and applications of this are remarkable. I urge all poster PLEASE read the attached links. This along with 3-d printing and a whole host of other new technologies are going to propel us forward even faster.

Its more like taking live cells and turning them in to the terminator. See ATS now you can sleep easier.

edit on 16-2-2013 by CitizenJack because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-2-2013 by CitizenJack because: oops

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 08:57 AM
link   
This is amazing--scary amazing, actually. We might have the first glimpse of how a silicon-based life form might appear or interact with its environment. (I know it is not exactly "sillicon-based" for you technical folks out there, but it isn't too far away.) I wonder what the applications for this will be on the human body, if any.

-TheGhoster

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 09:08 AM
link   

EXCELLENT find. ...Ya gotta love nanotech. I can hardly wait 'til these little suckers escape out into the wild.

Because a cell is populated by a vast range of proteins, lipids and scaffolding, its interior is ready-made to model catalysts, funnels, absorbents and other useful nanomachinery, said Kaehr, a former Sandia Truman Fellow.
Catalysts that evolve in cells are enzymes that have to retain a certain shape for their chemistry to work. Since structure is important to function, stabilizing a catalyst in the shape it evolved is important, Kaehr said. Heat-hardened silica would stabilize and protect the still-present protein as it did its work.

UNM post-doctoral student Jason Townson said the most immediate use for silicification MAY be as a simple way to preserve the structure of organic materials for imaging.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 09:13 AM
link   
From what I read in the article, this isn't a zombie cell. It's an android cell. No, not an android cell phone, an artificial replica of human tissue. That constitutes as an android, not as a zombie.

Zombies aren't made of silicone.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Okay, even after re-reading the sciencedaily article again...I find the summation.

Summing up, Kaehr offers what may be the first distinction in scientific literature between a mummy cell and a zombie cell: "King Tut was mummified," he said, "to approximately resemble his living self, but the process took place without mineralization [a process of fossilization]. Our zombie cells bridge chemistry and biology to create forms that not only near-perfectly resemble their past selves but can do future work."

Emphasis added.

So, they are using the dead cell as merely a structure for the new, living cell.
I don't really see the reason for naming it a "zombie" cell.
Other than maybe attention seeking purposes.

It's definitely not even a virus created re-animated cell.

Boo.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Practice is good, but don't forget the "double tap" when responding to the undead. I don't mind saying I have no sympathy whatsoever for zombies after what one of them did to me. I had only been married to my High School sweetheart for two years when our first child was born, and unfortunately the baby came out dead. Of course I was extremely upset, horrified actually, when I learned that she had been having an affair with a zombie. So "double tap" away, triple if you prefer.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Misleading title, but still a good article.

Even with advanced sciences such as nanotech we still turn to nature to provide us with the answers. Snake venom to dissipate blood clots, solar panels that mimic tree leaves, etc.

We underestimate mother nature.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Off topic I'm sorry but Tinker Bell with a shotgun just made my day

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Actually, forget the shotgun and get a camera. I've seen a few zombie films and have learned that zombies never seem to attack the cameraman.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 04:18 PM
link   
i dont think this is actually a real zombie kind of thing its more of a comparison

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by havok

Bio AI , silica, being the chip could out last, out perform a living cell, do you get it now? "Sky net" as the term is so used is just about to be real. Think of a Drone having AI self targeting real time up link, or a super computer with real time thought, solutions, to problems and questions.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Great find S+F:
Freaky but still cool! Are you gonna use guns if it outbreaks as feared or are you more of melee zombie killer? Me? I probably start out with my Katana and than find me a steam roller and pave the way to freedom.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 05:32 PM
link   
As a few diligent posters in here have already pointed out, for those of us who actually read the article. Its got nothing to do with an actual Zombie in the sense of the movie version. It is essentially creating a hardened 3D silicon cast of the cell structure.

This is an amazing engineering marvel in the fact that it will enable the creation of more intricate nanometer machines. Currently nanotechnology is restricted to particles and wires, enabling us to create hardened shells of cellular structures will improve things like inject able nano machines that can swim through our blood stream and repair cells and destroy infections.

This is an awesome break through.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by bekod

The amount of things that the government has that we really don't know about is terrifying...remember the movie "War games"...that came out in 1983. supercomputer self thinking/learning A.I. global destruction ect. It's been 30 years since then and look at what we have available as a society now compared to then. For everything that the article says, there are 50 things that it doesn't. They probably have some version of a (enter movie reference here) virus already made just chilling in a vault somewhere, waiting for that one assclown to unleash it on the world. this thing should be called the "T-1000 cell" instead, we just need to keep some molten steel handy to dunk it in when something inevitably goes wrong. if something that we find in nature has a weakness, it's usually for a reason. Giving that thing a suit of armor...probably not the best idea. instead of zombies we get nano sized guyvers to deal with. Even though i know that its nothing like that at this stage of their research. All kidding aside, the thing that they described in the article at the present stage poses no threat living,dead or otherwise. The human complex to discover,improve,create. will screw us someday. That however is not today. Call me when they put a nano microchip in there that some how replicates itself.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join