It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Walmart - "February Sales are a Total Disaster"

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 10:06 PM
link   
People keep talking like Obama arbitrarily raised the social security tax rate. He AND the Republicans simply let the meant-to-be-temporay tax break lapse back to where it was just two years ago. They were ALWAYS meant to lapse. In fact, they were meant to lapse a year ago but Obama fought against and conservatives rallied it. On top of that, Obama is the one who proposed the tax CUT int the first place.

We all enjoyed a little "tax holday" for a while ( and an extended one at that, THANKS to Obama), now its over. Its no one's fault. By the way, Romney would have let it expire as well. S quit making this a partisan issue.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 10:43 PM
link   
I just bought a LCD tv from walmart and a sweet futon and I am getting another futon
So I am doing my part.. I also do most of my shopping there but I usually buy as much organic products since they carry allot..

My shopping usually goes some things from the HEB, some things from walmarts, and some things from costco. Costco has lots of good organic stuff and locally grown stuff.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 11:01 PM
link   
If February sales at Walmart are a disaster, that's pretty scary. Usually their sales are up in Feb and Mar due to income tax refunds.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnIntellectualRedneck
Man, when Walmart starts to go downhill, you know it's all over with and the economy just got real. Looks like reality has finally started to hit.

The walmart in my town used to be a 24 hour one. Last year they started closing up at midnight. This year, they close at 11 pm. Now there is a sign on the door for "new hours" and they will start closing at 10pm.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 11:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

Originally posted by chrismarco
That's kind of a subjective statement "February Sales Total Disaster"

I'm just reporting what the internal memo said.
It was put out by the Walmart executives who have access to their financial info.

'total disaster'.

And I've got a feeling that the H&R Block fellas will be right. Next year when people go to do their taxes, they are going to be in for a shock when they find out that they owe penalties for not buying Obamacare.

There is going to be a lot of angry people, for sure. Ever visit the H&R block page on facebook? A lot of angry people freaking out over having to wait up to 3 weeks just for a refund. Imagine what happens when they are coming up short next year.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 12:06 AM
link   
Really, all they have to do is offer guillotine kits.

They'll make a killing

When's Bastille Day?

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 12:18 AM
link   

Congress decided not to renew a temporary payroll tax reduction

This has nothing to do with Obama, so why is everyone bitching about him?

It's just another bandwagon for the brainless.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 01:11 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

I agree. This has nothing at all to do with republican or democrat, it has everything to do with the rich being disconnected from reality. If the conservative rich leaning republicans had won the election, the poor and middle class would have been in even worse dire straights even faster.

Simple math, when you and your pals are sitting on 75% of all the disposable income in in the country, laying off your employees, refusing to pay them cost of living increases, cutting their benefits, and not wanting to pay out anything in taxes, then that only leaves a max of the 25% that's left for you and all your buddies to rape the public for each year. Of course that 25% has to be split between your business, all your pals/competitors businesses, and the government, with the ones with the most mandatory “product” taking the lions share. As the public gets poorer, their 25% goes increasing to the “must have” items, such as their taxes, mortgage, food, utilities, and other necessities, with no disposable income left to spend on the other non-mandatory items.

Where did these fools think their profits actually came from after all? Maybe when it hits the final goal of 100%/0% and there is 0% profit, these pyramid scheming, usury scamers will finally catch a hint that their wealth actually comes from the public that they have been cheating for years. Then all that will be left is for the rich with the most “required” products to eat up the ones with the least “required” products. Up until now, its been such a slow process, that it has apparently not dawned on them as of yet, and they still think that there is some source of “free” money still left out there for them to exploit.

Revelation actually predicts this occurring:

Then I heard what sounded like a voice among the four living creatures, saying, "A quart of wheat for a day's wages, and three quarts of barley for a day's wages, and do not damage the oil and the wine!"

For those who do not know, this means that a days wage will go strictly for paying a persons “must have” upkeep, but the “luxury items” will not get more expensive because there will be no demand for them from a public who cannot afford them anyway...

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 05:06 AM
link   
As long as we have a private cartel printing money and/or creating credit with a few keystrokes the debt-based economy will get worse until hyper-inflation finally sets in and then you'd better have a lot of food stored. As JFK was trying to do, we need to follow the Constitution and allow only the Treasury Dept.to print/coin a value-based currency. I'm sick of this bankster, money-junkie Federal Reserve System that's allied with Wall Street. We need to default on the so-called debt "owed" to the Fed and shut it down.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by dc4lifeskater

Costco also pays its associates at a higher than average rate (regular floor associates start at $11 / hr in the PHX metroplex) and offers full health coverage for its regular employees.

The high cost of low wages: hbr.org...

An argument can easily be made that Wal Mart / Sam's Club's policies of relatively low pay and little or no benefits costs them more in terms of shrinkage and turnover / retention.

I already know which one "costs" the rest of us more, because we are all subsidizing their lousy pay and benefits for them: Wal Mart.

Their business model is essentially welfare for billionaires, because we make up the difference in what they refuse to pay their employees, through taxes, to pay for or subsidize Wal Mart employees health care and food consumption.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 03:21 PM
link   
I was reading this thread at the time my wife came in from work complaining at how busy she'd been at work that day.... She has been working as a cashier at Wal-Mart for 18 years.. She says that business has been better than usual....

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 04:16 PM
link   
First, Walmart is going to spin this anti-Obama. For years, they have been paying low wages and having the taxpayers pick-up the tab so their worker's children won't die of hunger of lack of health care.

Now that health care is being transferred back to the company, they are a little pissed off.

Second, in all honesty, their workers can not afford most of their stuff. If you have children and only make $1,200 a month, you aren't going to buying high mark-up stuff like electronics or cloths. You'll buy what you can from thrift stores. For food, you will buy the cheap low mark-up staples and then supplement it with food banks.

I also wonder the diminishing number of immigrants might have something to do with this. Though I don't know if there have been studies but from what I have seen, a large number of immigrants tend to shop at Walmart.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 11:40 PM
link   
Walmarts problems are not from the economy...

The problems Walmart suffers from come from poor management. It is that simple regardless of what you are told...

Walmart is failing because of a simple psychological principle...

The effects of the Standford Prison experiment combined with the Milgram experiment...

Managers and others in the stores are pretty much not doing there jobs... the milgram part is manipulated by the standford part...

No one is watching the house....

Managers and co-managers have assistant managers (IV tier management in the structure if I remember correctly) who handle all the work of the store... they sit back and collect their money... not doing their job... mixed with the high numbers of waste...

Next leads to employees realizing no leadership.... which trickles down to the customer... "I would love to help you but I am not paid to help you" customers get that feeling and poof your done by kmart... I mean walmart...

it is fixable, but I would have to charge a thousand an hour to do this.....

The problem is that the people have wasted opportunities to build relationships with the customers.. The customers are leaving because well... the cheapest idea will not win... you are managing by numbers... not by people... the managers and supervisors are not focusing on what the numbers mean... only dealing with them which results in failure...

I mentioned this earlier and troll said something about walmart not being affected by this...

well my expensive opinion

I am right....

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 12:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by kosmicjack
Maybe the February numbers are a disaster because the stores are a disaster - dirty and junky. Or maybe people don't support their unfair labor practices. Or maybe people are weary of crappy Chinese products. Or maybe people don't support how Wal Mart drives globalization and unfair trade practices. Or maybe people don't support their gun and ammo sales.

Maybe, just maybe, it has little to do with Obama and everything to do with Wal Mart.
edit on 2/16/2013 by kosmicjack because: stupid phone

Oh, come on now... your speculation is way too logical.

Besides-- that way they don't get to blame Obama for everything. Mind you, I'm not in love with the guy myself... but it seems some people just like to bash obama every chance they get, and blame him for anything they can. It's been this way for a while, but it got particularly bad some time last year and hasn't stopped since a lot of sore losers didn't get to say the words "President Romney" in other than a dream.

Given the focus of the OP and preceding discussion, it seems this thread was probably just a pretense to not only blame the president for a small loss to a corporate giant, but to blame an entire group of voters, and members of a certain political affiliation or leaning, ie many members of this site (and as such some of the content borders on political trolling... but hey...who am I to judge?)....

....but the fact remains, the loss could be Wal Mart's fault.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 12:11 AM
link   
Yes, its all Obama's fault.
Has nothing to do with Walmart selling dodgy chinese crap and an inflated price does it, specially when you can buy it online.
Like another poster said, sounds like wordplay.. how about some figures? I imagine Jan/Feb to be relatively quiet, considering the Xmas hangover/cc spending that usually occurs.

Today I was walking to work, i tripped, stubbed my toe dropped my coffee...
DAM YOU OBAMA!

Then my button on my shirt popped off..
FKN OBAMA!

Last week I was given a raise...
BLOODY HELL OBAMA!

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 12:56 AM
link   
If wal-mart crumbles into dust financially it would help the economy of the areas hit by the wall-e style destruction. Wal-Mart is like Disney, it was a decent company when the founder was still alive. Sam Walton seems to have been a great guy, his children are not.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 01:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hopechest

All part of the liberals plan to create a permanent welfare voting bloc.
As long as Half the Country has this Mentality, the End Result will be Unavoidable.
You think having a POTUS with a R following his name would change this downward Spiral, is the Problem that leaves Us to our Demise.
Keep blaming each other, they love an Uninformed Citizenry.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Razimus
If wal-mart crumbles into dust financially it would help the economy of the areas hit by the wall-e style destruction. Wal-Mart is like Disney, it was a decent company when the founder was still alive. Sam Walton seems to have been a great guy, his children are not.

Excellent post, I am old enough to remember the commercials that toted "made in America"

I needed a new belt for my pants as my old one gave up the ghost after 15 years of daily use.
I was pleasantly surprised to purchase a new one at the same local store that I got my first one from 15 years ago.

I could not believe my eyes, same belt same great quality, best of all still made in Canada!

I had no problem dropping the $25.99 for this belt at all because I know how good it is and how long I can expect it to last.

My old belt outlasted 2 yes 2 new refrigerators that both failed due to parts made overseas.
One washing machine due to parts made overseas.
Almost one dishwasher, total replacement of the control pads.....still under warranty but we still had to wait for the parts to come from China.

We have a refrigerator in our garage that is 56 years old ....older than ourselves by a few years and still keeps the beer and pop ice cold, never had it serviced in the twenty plus years we have owned the house.
Remarkable but again it was made here in North America parts and all.

I would love to see this belt manufacturer to begin producing appliances.....we would replace everything and be happy to pay the money.

Regards, Iwinder

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by CaticusMaximus

Oh man I would love to have my parachute pants back...disco was out the door in the 80's so give me some sweet sweet 80's rock....thanks for the memories...

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Delayed taxes are likely the biggest factor....Seems everyone I know had delays.

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join