It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Walmart - "February Sales are a Total Disaster"

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Are you actually promoting classism in the US? It is about time it is done away with.
I’m looking at it from the perspective of a businessman. Free markets should dictate prices and free markets and individual performance should dictate wages.

Walmart made 405 billion dollars last year, trust me, they can afford to pay employees.

Instead they pay employees sub par wages, no benefits, and force the states to pick up the benefits so YOU are paying for people on welfare to keep their jobs.

It’s none of your business what Wal-Mart chooses to pay its employees. If you don’t like it, don’t work there.

Then in order to make more money, they force their manufacturers jobs overseas, since they come in and take over a community and make themselves sole provider, they force the manufacturers to charge less and less, than tthe manufacturers ever wanted to lower it. So they have no choice but to send their manufacturing to ASIA, who gets the jobs.

All while racking in 400 billion pure profit.

Hater?

How about Americans pay a little more, instead of expecting coffee makers for 10 bucks made from god knows what and lead painted toys, we do with less walmarts, and mom and pop can come back and make a decent living.

People have voted with their pocket books! Wal-Mart is winning!!

People disagree with you!

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 11:28 AM
link   

edit on 16-2-2013 by Liquesence because: dbl post

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Understand that when you're really economizing and practicing austerity, you can't afford to buy low-quality merchandise. You want to buy the stuff that is nourishing and that lasts a long time. Hyphenmarts don't fill the void. When you buy twenty cheap items instead of one higher quality item, you're surrounded by junk, and economizing means getting rid of the junk, making material sacrifices for quality.

That's why WalMart is failing. They sell product that poor people can't afford to buy, because it is too cheap to live on. Junk lifestyle items. The cart is full but so are the dumpsters. There is more wrapper than product; the money goes in the trash. People just don't want to buy stuff that has to get thrown out.

Or shopping morale is low. I think, when the prices of food double, the shopping will sink too. WalMart will sink. Understand, the ripples caused by that giant store devouring the rest of the producers of the land contributed to the national financial woes. Too close to monopoly.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by FlapdoodleStork

That they use walmart as an anti-Obama campaign.

ATSers have this very, very bad habit of complaining that president has too much power but constantly turn around and give the President power they never had. Which means it is nothing but the usual smear campaign.

First off, it was the end of an SS holiday, it wasn't an increase it went back to normal. Secondly, it was approved by Congress, not Obama.

Thirdly, not everyone's taxes were delayed. Most people I know got theirs back just fine. Fourth, if this were the case, it should very much concern you that everyone's tax returns are going to Walmart, if what they are claiming is true.

Lastly, if anyone thinks this isn't grandstanding against the minimum wage increase, is sadly deluding themselves.

No one should defend the rights of shareholders to make millions over the rights of American's to a decent wage. Also, people should stop to consider what other outside influences are affecting walrmart rather than their very public statement.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Tuttle

Well....my. husband's new job, we were so proud of him finally finding which is way beneath his education and skillset, pays 11.15 an hour with absolutely NO benefits, has mandatory overtime many week of 72 hors a week-6twelve hour shifts, if you do a good job with good attendance, you get a 0.18/hr raise every year.

(We just pray housing jobs return one day.)
edit on 16-2-2013 by hadriana because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Sandalphon

yea, how about the suddenly random jumping magic gas prices for no reason, problem.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
Sad day when an ATSer uses walmart as a defense.

Defense for what??

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Walmart has changed. They have been steadily raising prices for two years.

Just search walmart raises prices and you will find pages of articles how Walmart has quietly raised prices.

They aren't a deal anymore, while still bad for the economy.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by olaru12
I refuse to shop at Walmart until they start giving their employees on the floor the same benefits the suits in the offices receive.

.. and once Walmart raises the pay on their entry level jobs (jobs that require no education or skills) .. and they give outstanding benefits to those people, then they won't be able to sell their items at such low prices. The Walmarts around here cater to inner city and cityish lower middle class to lower income people. If you raise the prices on their goods ... those people won't be able to afford them anymore.

It's a catch22.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 11:41 AM
link   

That they use walmart as an anti-Obama campaign.

Maybe you are just deflecting away from the Obama administration when in fact their economic policies aren't good?? Tell us what Walmart has done in the last 4 weeks that would cause such a dramatic change in their sales? If you've got an example .. please share it. Otherwise, the Walmart inneroffice memo has some merit. The only thing that has really changed is that people are getting hit with higher payroll taxes. They have less money to spend. Next year, when they find out they owe Obamacare tax penalties .. they'll get hit even harder.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Sandalphon

That's why WalMart is failing. They sell product that poor people can't afford to buy, because it is too cheap to live on.

Failing?

The largest employer in the world and you say they’re failing and that people can’t afford to buy there!

That’s rich!

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by seabag
Free markets should dictate prices and free markets and individual performance should dictate wages.

I hope you are not saying that with a straight face?
Walmart would not even exist today were it not for Traitorous Government Foreign Economic Polices.
Walmart wants to take our money as consumers but wants cheap labor from other countries to build the products they sell to us. Pretty soon, those kind of policies catch up to them when there are no workers here to buy their products.

I refuse to shop there and I know many others that have quit going there because of their policies.
From the standpoint of the consumer, they are practicing free market economics by saying no Thanks Walmart.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by jacobe001
I know many others that have quit going there because of their policies. From the standpoint of the consumer, they are practicing free market economics by saying no Thanks Walmart.

Which is fully your right to do. But the question I have is this .. did everyone suddenly start avoiding Walmart in the past month? Answer .. no. So that's not the reason for the sudden sales disaster. It's got to be something OTHER than that some people are avoiding Walmart.

What has changed in the past four weeks??

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by jacobe001

I refuse to shop there and I know many others that have quit going there because of their policies. From the standpoint of the consumer, they are practicing free market economics by saying no Thanks Walmart.

Excellent! Don’t shop there.

Now get out of our way while we shop there!

People are soooooo quick to demonize things that are successful. Why not live and let live? Why impose your ideals on others? If you don't want to patronize a certain place then don't, but don't give others grief if we disagree with you.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 11:46 AM
link   

But they had more to spend for a time - thanks to Obama. He rolled back the Bush rates during the height of the economic crises.

Did Wal Mart credit Obama in their press releases during those quarters?

The rates have now gone back to what they were in 2008. It's an increase, technically speaking, but people are smart enough to understand what happened.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 11:48 AM
link   

No one should defend the rights of shareholders to make millions over the rights of American's to a decent wage.

No customer/noncustomer should arbitrary decide how much shareholders are allowed to make in their business. If someone is smart enough to run a business at a profit, then good for them. That's their reward for running a smart business.

Also, people should stop to consider what other outside influences are affecting walrmart rather than their very public statement.

Give us an example of what outside influences have hit Walmart in the past four weeks.
That would be helpful to the discussion. Thank you.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by seabag
reply to post by nixie_nox

Are you actually promoting classism in the US? It is about time it is done away with.
I’m looking at it from the perspective of a businessman. Free markets should dictate prices and free markets and individual performance should dictate wages.

It is not a free market when manufacturers can't charge what they want for a product because Walmart has taken over the industry and forces them to lower prices. Than that manufacturer has to pay sub standard wages to its employees to make up for the manipulation.

Walmart made 405 billion dollars last year, trust me, they can afford to pay employees.

Instead they pay employees sub par wages, no benefits, and force the states to pick up the benefits so YOU are paying for people on welfare to keep their jobs.

It’s none of your business what Wal-Mart chooses to pay its employees. If you don’t like it, don’t work there.

It is both of our business when they don't pay their employees that now have to collect food stamps and medicaid when they can't afford to feed their families. But you conveniently ignored that point.

Then in order to make more money, they force their manufacturers jobs overseas, since they come in and take over a community and make themselves sole provider, they force the manufacturers to charge less and less, than tthe manufacturers ever wanted to lower it. So they have no choice but to send their manufacturing to ASIA, who gets the jobs.

All while racking in 400 billion pure profit.

Hater?

Is that seriously what you just came up with? You call me a hater when I explain Walmart's manipulation tactics to you? Which means you couldn't come up with a viable answer.

How about Americans pay a little more, instead of expecting coffee makers for 10 bucks made from god knows what and lead painted toys, we do with less walmarts, and mom and pop can come back and make a decent living.

People have voted with their pocket books! Wal-Mart is winning!!

I didn't realize this was a game of football.
Especially with economics and people's welfare on the line.

People disagree with you!

People who say "hater" as an arguement. LOL I am not concerned.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 11:52 AM
link   

What has changed in the past four weeks??

It’s not just Wal-Mart. Companies (small, medium and large) across the country are dealing with the effects. The economy is slowing again. People have less money in their pockets. This will only get worse as businesses compensate for Obamacare and $9 minimum wage. Look at all the big companies closing locations. Any one of us can drive around and see all the strip malls with vacancies. It’s effecting the big stores and the mom-and-pop stores alike.

We will ALL be paying more for everything soon and more and more businesses will be forced to close. This is what happens when you raise taxes to fund social programs and big government projects.

link   
reply to post by seabag

Ah a Walmart fan, who are just as bad as religious zealots. Nothing worse than a corporate communist who feel corporations who don't care about them, deserve more rights than their fellow citizens.

Did you write the CEO's name for president last election?

link   

Originally posted by kosmicjack
Did Wal Mart credit Obama in their press releases during those quarters?

I have no idea. Does it matter?

The rates have now gone back to what they were in 2008. It's an increase, technically speaking,

It's an increase. It hits the income so it's a tax increase and a decrease in income.
That's the bottom line.

but people are smart enough to understand what happened.

Watch a Jerry Springer show .. or a Maury show .. and tell me that those
folks are smart enough to 'understand what happened'.

Smaller paycheck = less spending money.
Less spending money = 'sales that are a total disaster'.

If someone can show me that Walmart has done something in the past four weeks to scare away customers then we can possibly dismiss what the Walmart memo said about this sales disaster being because of payroll taxes.
We will all look forward to someone posting that kind of information ...

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join