It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Asteroid Logistics Discussion Thread

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 02:16 AM
link   
How would planet earth handle such common occurrences, let's say, of 3+ "major" land fall asteroids like the one that fell in Russia 1 day ago. If we were to even in the near or distant future be flying through a massive broken up meteor and we had to endure such events daily for years on end.

How would we start to cope? Adapt?

1. I believe major funding by each country would commence to set up massive radar observatories to map more and more of the sky. I believe currently we are only mapping less than 3% of our whole sky spectrum via earth.

2. Building re-enforcement's? Windows/Doors in large buildings to have automatic steel shut covers, incase of emergency?

3. Cell phone call lists to text you when asteroid is incoming?

Anything else to add?
edit on 16-2-2013 by CALGARIAN because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 02:19 AM
link   
Pray!

Oh, wait that wouldn't do anything.
Sorry.
edit on 16-2-2013 by homeslice because: spelling

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 02:29 AM
link   
Shoot it down like the Russians.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 02:33 AM
link   
Since it's already started getting silly.

Run away! Run away!

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 02:38 AM
link   
Apparently Russian deputy prime minister also thinks we should band together to develop an international anti-astriod system.

www.ibtimes.co.uk...

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 02:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by homeslice
Pray!

Sorry.

OK You donkeys rear end, modified speechified "Oh Don't Wait This Wouldnt do Anything Sorry". STAY OFF of my thread 'THE AGE OLD QUESTION" Forum: Faith Religion Theology. You have nothing to contribute you PUKE and are upsetting the natives that being ME. Is this what you do hunt and peck at percieved carcass, then flee? What an interesting way you spend your idle moments.
edit on 16-2-2013 by vethumanbeing because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 02:49 AM
link   

Apparently Russian deputy prime minister also thinks we should band together to develop an international anti-astriod system.

www.ibtimes.co.uk...

Of course! Don't you want to subscribe to the NWO?

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 02:52 AM
link   

www.ibtimes.co.uk...

As humans, we have the ability to do this. Actually, to do anything!!

Money doesn't matter, because if it HAS to be done. it will be.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 03:05 AM
link   
Reply to post by CALGARIAN

Getting text message alerts for asteroids? I can see that... Ooh, a text message, I wonder who its from. ALERT: you are about to be hit by a massive asteroid.... I dont see much we can do about asteroids hitting the earth. To me, its a silly fear. We can shoot some down, but if were being rained on by them, theres nothing to do other than to build structures to withstand the impact (unlikely). Thats my 2 cents anyway.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 03:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by vethumanbeing

Pray!

Sorry.

OK You donkeys rear end, "Oh Don't Wait This Wouldnt do Anything Sorry". STAY OFF of my thread 'THE AGE OLD QUESTION" Forum: Faith Religion Theology. You have nothing to contribute you PUKE and are upsetting the natives that being ME.

"upsetting the natives that being me"? The natives of what? The world? ATS? The kingdom of god?
What exactly are you talking about?

And stay off your thread? I posted ONCE (over 2 months ago) - settle down and get over it.

edit on 16-2-2013 by homeslice because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 03:09 AM
link   
We would be so lucky to have an asteroid hit the Federal Reserve Bank.

Let's see Bernanke print his way out of that crisis.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 03:20 AM
link   

Pray!

Sorry.

I dont know what the other guy was on about it being his thread but I was also wondering what the problem with you is? I mean you always have to come up with some derogatory remark regarding belief in God whether the thread is about it or not. Did some priest abuse you when you were a child or something?
edit on 16/2/13 by Cinrad because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 03:22 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 03:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Cinrad

I have many problems with religion, (wasn't personally abused though) that aside I am sorry for any offensive.. I will try be more constructive.

I do think that the world is never going to work together until all the worlds religions disappear or unite. But they will never unite. It will always divide.

edit on 16-2-2013 by homeslice because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 03:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by vethumanbeing

Pray!

Sorry.

OK You donkeys rear end, "Oh Don't Wait This Wouldnt do Anything Sorry". STAY OFF of my thread 'THE AGE OLD QUESTION" Forum: Faith Religion Theology. You have nothing to contribute you PUKE and are upsetting the natives that being ME.

homesliceheadcheese
"upsetting the natives that being me"? The natives of what? The world? ATS? The kingdom of god?
What exactly are you talking about?

And stay off your thread? I posted once ages ago - settle down and get over it.

It was yesterday. Whatever kingdom you live in is fine with me; the native was WanDash. You, the world the unfathonable You-ness of yourself, recreating yourself; I am perfectly sure you are absolutely fascinating. Stay off of my Thread you have no thing to say.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 03:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cinrad

Pray!

Sorry.

I dont know what the other guy was on about it being his thread but I was also wondering what the problem with you is? I mean you always have to come up with some derogatory remark regarding belief in God whether the thread is about it or not. Did some priest abuse you when you were a child or something?

He wont remember it as you tell it, and only 10 minutes ago called him on it-- Funny.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 04:12 AM
link   

reply to post by Cinrad

I have many problems with religion, (wasn't personally abused though) that aside I am sorry for any offensive.. I will try be more constructive.

I do think that the world is never going to work together until all the worlds religions disappear or unite. But they will never unite. It will always divide.

Well finally someone has cured/rid the Earth of organized Religion and its inherant evils.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 06:45 AM
link   
reply to post by homeslice

I hate religion too Homeslice, religion is humanity's attempt to please, appease, or manipulate God through their own ritual or actions. With 7 billion on Earth, no wonder there is so much division with each person thinking thier way is best. Man, this thread went to hell really quick, how did we manage that?

So back to the OP, if this sort of thing started happening on a weekly basis, I dont think there is anything we could do about making the buildings, it would cost too much, we would just have to take the losses and wait till it was over. If it wasnt going to be over for a long time then our lifestyles would really change, we would have less buildings and only maintain the most important ones, things like football stadiums and club houses, public toilets would go. Many shopping chains and banks would decrease the number of branches, the postal service would too, bus stations might just be a hurricane wired fenced in area. We just couldnt afford to keep rebuilding every week. I suppose a war torn country might give a good example of what it would be like, a place like Lebanon during the 90s.

Meteorite storm alerts would be useful as it might give us time to take cover, or at least keep away from windows, glass and weak walls. We would be watching the meteorite forcast just after the weather forcast.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 07:44 AM
link   
reply to post by CALGARIAN

We'd need better detection (we could use that anyways), especially with ones like yesterday: coming from towards the sun and small.

More people would need to be aware: yes it was bright and pretty, but get away from windows, etc, as in a few minutes there will be a bad shock wave.

If the flight path or size allowed it to get even closer to the surface before detonation, not much anyone could do, as there would be little time to get in doors and down into a shelter before a nuclear sized blast wave hit, so early detection would be massively important.

Same goes for actual impact if it does not shatter, but impacts with full force, as it would be just like a nuclear bomb. This is again where early detection comes in.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by CALGARIAN

Start playing the educational video "Duck and Cover" again, except edited to remove the part about radiation burns. But those aside, the shock wave from a bolide can resemble that from an atomic bomb...the 1908 Tunguska explosion was estimated to be about as powerful as 1000 Hiroshima-sized bombs:

Seriously though, the planetary society was tooting its horn about its role in the discovery of yesterdays close call, and they also discussed their proposed network of solar powered laser satellites to defend Earth. They asked for donations and it sounds like a worthy cause.

edit on 16-2-2013 by Arbitrageur because: clarification

top topics

<<   2 >>

join