It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Depictions Of Alien Greys - Never in Science Fiction

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 12:23 AM
link   
This thread is about an observation I have noted. Star Trek and Star Wars and all manner of science fiction enterainment depict sentient life forms as sometimes almost human like or with variances to the human form or even blob like forms, such as is depicted on The Simpsons. The Simpsons depict aliens as speaking blobs who constantly drool and travel in a personal glass covered dome, within a spacecraft. I suppose Et comes close but he was depicted as very height challenged and even the smallest Grey Aliens are purported to be three to four feet tall with clearly discernible legs - ET from memory shuffled along with hardly any recognisable legs!

My point or rather my observation is that I have never seen a character on a science fiction movie or television show that looks like a Grey Alien. Is it just me or have my eyes not viewed very much science fiction? Has anyone else noted that the Grey Alien so often depicted within the media, mainstream and alternative is never depicted in science fiction entertainment.

I randomly selected two images from the internet as depictions of the Grey Aliens that are utilised within the media but - seemingly - not science fiction entertainment. Maybe I have missed out on viewing science fiction entertainment that includes depictions of Grey Aliens so maybe members would like to comment on my observation and agree with me, disagree with me or just comment.

Much Peace...

+3 more 
posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 12:31 AM
link   
X-files
Stargate
South Park
Paul
American Dad
Mars Attacks
Destroy All Humans
ET
Close Encounters Of the Third Kind
Communion
Indiana Jones

Babylon 5

And Star Trek has Bynars, Talosians, and Barash which are all similar to greys
edit on 16-2-2013 by forgetmenot because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 12:37 AM
link   
Taken (TV miniseries)
Rowell (TV series)
Seven Days (TV series)
Dark Skies (TV series)
Close Encounters of the Third Kind (movie)

The above are all on YouTube now.

Stargate (TV series)
ET (movie)
The X-Files (TV series and movie)

They appeared in the above TV shows occasionally.

There are others.

edit on 16-2-2013 by xpoq47 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 12:40 AM
link   
Greys are typically just written about. In movies the alien needs to be scary or beautiful, the grey is neither.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 12:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Amanda5

I guess you never watched the Stargate series:

Actually, I'm guessing you have not really watched much sci-fi at all.
Depictions of Greys, and grey-like aliens are all over science fiction.

Independence Day aliens had a resemblance going back to the grey archetype.
Babylon 5 had at least one episode with a snippet of a human attempting to sue a grey alien in court for damages and ridicule accrued by the abduction of a great great grandfather.
They're all over science fiction media either outright, or as an archetype base for something very similar but not quite.
Close Encounters of the Third kind from the 1970s?

Come on! Have you watched ANY science fiction?

edit on 16-2-2013 by Druscilla because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 12:53 AM
link   
If I ever see a 3 foot tall grey alien trotting out in front of the press at a White House press conference, then I would begin to worry and put on the old tin foil hat.

Not only did humans discover ET life, but that life form looks exactly like our made up depictions of what spacemen would look like from around the middle of the last century. Let alone artwork from long lost civilizations that eerily look similar.

The chances of finding ET life is astronomical. The chances those same ET look exactly as we believe them to be would be next to impossible.

edit on 16-2-2013 by cconn487 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 01:05 AM
link   
The first grey that came to mind was in Signs. The creature wasn't short, but was clearly built like a grey. Close Encounters has them and the other movies mentioned above also have them or similar features.

Edit: Futurama (also done by Matt Groenig) also has them, although green, Kif's species is grey like.

In Star Trek their was a bluish alien with grey like features. It used to scare me as a kid. They'd end the show with a still of that grey's face.
edit on 16-2-2013 by collietta because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 01:16 AM
link   
Thanks everyone so far. I knew there would be a result. You guessed it I am not a devoted science fiction fan but have watched a fair amount of Star Trek and the odd episode of Babylon 5. I have watched Close Encounters of The Third Kind and other movies.

What I want to know now is why is it so hard for people to believe that the depictions of Grey Aliens could actually be real. I use the word depictions as opposed to photographs because entertainment science fiction is supposed to be just that - fiction!

How is it thousands upon thousands upon thousands of science fiction devotees can immerse themselves totally in the entertainment genre but not accept the real actual evidence that we have been visited by sentient beings that do not look like us and live elsewhere?

I have known people who are science fiction fans to the nth degree but bring up the conversation that it is all the work of talented artists and not an iota based on fact - and they switch off. As a person who has had a lifelong fascination with human behaviour I find this particular mindset remarkable. Anyone care to comment?!

Much Peace...

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 01:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Amanda5

OMG you are 100%RIGHT!!!
A lot of sci fi fans that I know, especially Trekkies, don't even want to discuss the actuality of alien life elsewhere. I find this very odd

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 01:19 AM
link   
reply to post by HomerinNC

No wonder.
You call them trekkies.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 01:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Well, what do you call avid Star Trek fans?

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 01:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by HomerinNC
reply to post by Phage

Well, what do you call avid Star Trek fans?

Awesome.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 01:34 AM
link   

The preferred term is trekker.
Not that I care. Cuz really, I don't. Really.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 01:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

I always heard it as Trekkies, but anyhow, when you mention the possibility of alien life, half of them all of a sudden don't wanna talk or flat out say life ain't possible

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 01:43 AM
link   

All I know is that there are conventions where science fiction fans dress up and live out their favourite characters and an entire consumer market for all types of goods. I have seen people I know pull out their dolls - still in the packet. I recall a doll and the complete language guide to a character of Star Trek - everyone in the room laughed out loud when we explored the language.

These same people are then not interested in the concept of Intergalactic Visitors and Craft being real - in any way! Just look at The Big Bang (the television series) and the main male characters are all scientists - all highly educated scientists at that - but - is there ever mention of the reality of sentient lifeforms elsewhere. No - the show centres on the personalities of the characters and their love lives/non existent love lives/quest to find love. The show is a success but if we took a poll of all the viewers - it would probably amount to nothing more than entertainment. I am speculating not making a definite opinion.

So this thread started as an experiment and people wandered straight in and announced their observations beautifully - but - what I want to know now - is - how many of those people see their observations as merely entertainment and how many actually think deeply about their world and the Universe that extends beyond whatever room the television is plugged in.

I know that people are intelligent but how many actually think about the depictions that are beamed at them via the television. I love human nature and behaviours and thinking as it never ceases to amaze me and to stimulate my intellect. Anyone care to comment!?

Much Peace...

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 01:45 AM
link   
reply to post by NeoVain

I gave you a star for your response because the people I know and have known - who are or were Star Trek fans have always been good quality - non violent people. Gentle people who simply developed a love of all things represented by science fiction.

Should they all enter the awakened state at the same time - that would be truly double awesome!!!

Much Peace...

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 01:45 AM
link   

flat out say life ain't possible

Half of them? Really?
That is strange. I don't think I know anyone who says extraterrestrial life is impossible.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 02:05 AM
link   

Those naughty Vree, such intergalactic jokers.

And Babylon 5 also had the Streib, and there was a few scenes in one or two episodes showing the Shadows servants who looked pretty 'Grey Alien'.
edit on 16-2-2013 by BigfootNZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 02:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage

flat out say life ain't possible

Half of them? Really?
That is strange. I don't think I know anyone who says extraterrestrial life is impossible.

You are right of course. We would be just as 'alien' to the extraterrestrials as they would be to us, moot point really.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 02:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Amanda5

How is it thousands upon thousands upon thousands of science fiction devotees can immerse themselves totally in the entertainment genre but not accept the real actual evidence that we have been visited by sentient beings that do not look like us and live elsewhere?

Good question. Maybe all the renderings of "grays" in the media are embellished to appear "frightening" (to sell tickets)? Or "cartoony" to appease the naysayers.

Some of us are in denial as well. Or religious. Or sowing disinformation. Where does this image originate? It must have had a beginning?

Oh yah...

Remember, this pic was taken after they removed the black "almond" shaped lenses from the eyes.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join