It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The CIA, the Movie Mogul, and ‘The Day the Earth Stood Still’

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by kingmonkey

Originally posted by Infi8nity
Steven Spielberg said: "I don't make movies to entertain, necessarily; I make movies to comment on important issues of the day"

Pick apart that quote. Every movie, theme, character, this man has name was NOT TO ENTERTAIN.
The man produced E.T.
edit on 16-2-2013 by Infi8nity because: (no reason given)

He produced 'Who Framed Roger Rabbit?' - what was the message there?

Great thread OP but I'd go for your first conclusion, that 3 friends used their skills gained in the military to make one of the best Sci Fi films ever.

Going down the rabbit hole? Most people do not know how to watch movies, they only see whats in front of them. You gotta read between the lines and really analyze movies. Some you have to have knowledge of the subject or you wont know what its talking about. Stop looking at movies as entertainment and start looking at them as a way to relay a message.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 11:24 AM
link   
It is entirely possible that this film is among many early science fiction films and possibly television programs that incorporated government disinformation ... to convince people that flying saucers were from space.

At that time, a prominent rumor was that flying saucers actually were a secret military technology. This idea was reflected in the media of the day.

You will recall an exchange between the woman who ran the boarding house and others sitting around the dining room table. She said she thought the ship was from the USSR.

She said something like: I think it comes from right here, and you know where I mean ... Then, one of the men at the table says: They wouldn't come in flying saucers. They would come in airplanes. ...

It's possible that the real saucers were never the product of space aliens but good old human ingenuity ... and that there was a concerted disinformation campaign designed to confuse people.

If true, the Russians never had it ... but the Americans did ... and still do ... only now the tech has evolved quite a bit.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Hello everyone,

Thanks for coming by to check out the story.

For those that are so inclined, and would like to look in to this further, Linda Moulton Howe has been posting installments based on her experience since Graham wrote his paper.

In Part IV, Howe explains how she was contacted by a film and t.v. producer from Los Angeles concerning his experiences with CIA involvement in film production.

www.earthfiles.com...

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Bybyots

Loved that movie. Absolutely hated the remake. Why Keanu, why?

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 01:26 AM
link   

Frankly, I see this as a ho-hum issue. I've seen the movie more than once and a host of other movies made during those times for patriotic reasons and have no doubts but what some aspect of the government had their hands deep into the even the allowance of such a movie.

"I'm bummed if that has become 'ho hum' to you.
"

Well, I was quite glad you posted, so thanks very much OP. The original War of the Worlds, and TDTESS are my two favorite movies. This would have been an interesting article just for talking about the movie, and for the links you shared. Adding the bit about the UFO just made it better!

Okay, I will admit I don't bother to even look at most pictures of UFOs or videos any more either. Sad to say, there is so much trickory out there, you just can't tell what you are looking at. I don't think we should let the trickory jade us though. Maybe UFOs are natural phenomenon, or Nazis, or the government. Or maybe, at least some of them, are aliens. As humans, we can act as jaded and sophisticated as we want, but a "hu-hum" attitude doesn't change the fact that not one of us (who hasn't actually seen an alien themselves, anyway) really knows which side is telling the truth. We can form an opinion, but we don't really know.

I have read in many blogs, where the writer and commenters think they are super-sophisticated about the subject, where they roundly reject Roswell, and accuse those who keep bringing it up of ruining any real chance of the UFO topic being taken seriously by non-believers. Sorry, I am going to use an outlandish example here, but would it make sense for the original Christians to try to convince atheists there is a God, by laughing off Jesus as a fake? Nope, you are not a Christian if you turn away from Jesus, and you are not truly looking for real answers if you turn away from Roswell (and now apparenlty UFOs altogether) just to look cool to nonbelievers to get them on your side.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 01:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by spaceg0at
klaatu barada nikto

My favroite part is when Klaatu tells Gort to meringue. I didn't even know he could dance!

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 03:57 PM
link   
I think that the first "Day the Earth Stood Still" was a great movie, that introduced the notion [flying saucers from outer space] to many unaware people and reinforced the gut feelings of many people --- that we are being visited by otherworlders from outerspace.

The movie was a bit facistic in nature...what with the verbal threats by Klaatu, such as the suppression of the opposition through terrorist threats ---- meaning --- the total destruction of our entire planet, unless we aquiesced to Klaatu's demands.
edit on 20-2-2013 by Erno86 because: spelling

edit on 20-2-2013 by Erno86 because: ditto

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 07:32 PM
link   
As people have mentioned the "Nazi" connection that brings to mind the early days of the net. There were, purportedly, the blueprints for the Nazi flying saucer uploaded somewhere. They vanished, even Google doesn't turn them up any more, when numerous people pointed out how. The blueprints of said Nazi saucer, were almost identical to that of the UFO in "This Island Earth".

It has been suggested that, it's not beyond the realms of possibility that, one of the crew on the film, responsible for the models, might have had some connection to secret Nazi weapons and had moved to Hollywood, post WW2.

On a side note, one of the most disrespectful adaptations of a classic Sci Fi novel is "War of the Worlds". H G Wells was a very committed atheist and that ending with the speech about "One of God's smallest creations" is frankly, damned insulting to the author.

if you haven't seen it I'd also recommend the 1963 film Ikarie XB1, it's subtitled however, it takes about 5 minutes before you start thinking.... "Hang on, 2001 didn't half steal a shed load of the visuals from this"

BTW "The thing from outer space" was the first "Flying Saucer" film
edit on 20-2-2013 by FireMoon because: add info

edit on 20-2-2013 by FireMoon because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Most excellent thread. Thank you!

The CIA/Hollywood connection is long and well established and these Cats know (or think they know) exactly what they are doing. Of course we know that alphabet propaganda encompasses all the media outlets from news to entertainment with Operation Mockingbird being a great example and offering clues to just how deep this goes.

You make great points in asking to what end: Profit? Propaganda? A sincere boy scout heart for eventual world peace? To hide the "reality" of alien visitation/technology?

Or maybe, just maybe, a longterm Plan B on how to control and manipulate society in the spirit of the reportedly fictional but definitely based on documented proposed policies The Report from Iron Mountain. Fear as societal comptroller.

This thread definitely deserves some in-depth discussion and isn't for the short-attention span kiddos---like, yawn, Aliensun for example. You've already hit on some interesting aspects here that can easily fit the Plan B theory: The Moulton-Howe/Emenegger story being one example. But there's so much more. If this line of thought interests you, I'll bring some meat to the table to flesh out the bones a little.

Look forward to more from you on this and other topics.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join