It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The CIA, the Movie Mogul, and ‘The Day the Earth Stood Still’

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by NowanKenubi
Thanks for that info, OP, and from some posters that followed.

Since the film was made after WWII, and that the story was somehow "heavily edited", compared to the book, it makes me think that this movie was made a diversion from the fact NAZIS had "flying saucers".

The war was supposedly won... How would the explanation of flying saucers be given to people? " Yes, they are NAZI vehicles, but WE won the war..."
It was easier to create a new enemy that would not be related to NAZIs...

Also, notice that many UFO groups have been led by "ex" military personnel since the 50's...

ET disclosure?... Most likely NAZI forces cover-ups.

Nazi's did have the bell, it really makes me wonder if they did win. I am sure you know about project paper clip and the elite funding Hitlers plans.
BUT
Extra terrestrials do exist, we know this from 100's of thousands of consistent reports. Their are all so other accounts of terrestrials in our past, before the Nazi's. One of the most famous reports: benjamin franklin saw a flying saucer fly out of the sea.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Infi8nity

Man post some info on that!

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Logarock

I all ready looked up the information. Now its your turn.
You know how to use google?

Dont be sad just be happy that I presented something you did not know.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Wonder why the CIA would put out a blatant Christian allegorical movie?

Even as a kid it seemed a bit heavy-handed.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Infi8nity

Dude relax! I wasnt trying to put you on the spot....just asking....you hyper defencive person you.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Dude relax! I wasnt trying to put you on the spot....just asking....you hyper defencive person you.

Im not hostile man. I wish their was a better way to convey emotion on the net other then smile faces.

But really google it man, some interesting stuff. I dont like posting links to material like this because it takes away the hunger. Most of the time when given a link most people only view the one link but when they search them self they click on multiple sources.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 11:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Bybyots

Wasn't the robot's name Gort?

I'd revisit this movie, but this and the 50s version of War of the Worlds still give me the heeb jeebs.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 12:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by GeneralChaos
Our entire lives we have been manipulated and controlled by Television and Movies. It is the single most powerful weapon ever created, and I mean that literally. One day we will realize just how much of an effect they actually had.

Oh so true...
Welcome to ATS and may you very soon earn your points to start new threads.
I'll be watching for ya!

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 12:52 AM
link   
reply to post by TheToastmanCometh

Wasn't the robot's name Gort?

Indeed, Toastman...

...Gort is the robot from The Day The Earth Stood Still

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 01:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Bybyots

But then I read the wiki and it said that the robot in the story was Gnut, so I guess we were both right.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 01:48 AM
link   

Steven Spielberg said: "I don't make movies to entertain, necessarily; I make movies to comment on important issues of the day"

Pick apart that quote. Every movie, theme, character, this man has name was NOT TO ENTERTAIN.
The man produced E.T.
edit on 16-2-2013 by Infi8nity because: (no reason given)

I don't remember if it was the Jim Marrs book The Alien Agenda, The Stieger book The Rainbow Conspiracy that mentions this, stating Close Encounters of the Third kind as well. It's interesting, but I wouldn't say that all of Spielberg's movies are made to comment on important issues. He also did The Duel (businessman harassed by truck driver), Jaws (killer shark), Indian Jones (Nazi, and recently Russian, fighting archaeologist), and Schindler's List (Holocaust). I'm pretty sure some of his movies are made for entertainment only.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 02:13 AM
link   
"Kalttu......brada.......uhhh...Necktie!!"
opps sorry wrong movie.

That fact that they were in the signal corp is not big deal.
All photo and film units have been part of the signal corps since the Army first started using cameras.
Since they were probably drafted in WWII with everyone else they either ended up in film unit's by choice or by the fact they already had had some film experience.

The Army film division that was located in Los Angeles during the war was huge.
"In 1942 General George C. Marshall ordered the creation of the Army Pictorial Service (APS) to produce motion pictures for the training, indoctrination, and entertainment of the American forces and their Allies. The APS took over Kaufman Astoria Studios in 1942 and produced over 2,500 films during the war with over 1,000 redubbed in other languages.[9] The Army left Astoria studios and film production in 1971"

www.signal.army.mil...
"The Army recognized its lack of trained film crews, directors and producers early in the war and contracted with the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences for assistance. The Army also recognized the quality of its early training films left much to be desired, so it drafted and commissioned many of Hollywood's leading directors, writers and producers to ensure the films were effective. Marshall himself ordered the commissioning of Frank Capra, who later made "It's a Wonderful Life." Other talent commissioned directly out of Hollywood included producer Darryl Zanuck, John Huston and Theodor Seuss Geisel, later known as children's book writer Dr. Seuss."

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 02:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Bybyots

Its a great movie i have it in my Dvd collection as sci fi classic.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 07:20 AM
link   
reply to post by dave_welch

The holocaust is not entertaining you wronged.

TDTESS is a hard hitter. If they know we're being visited and they do they would want to test public reaction and there could be more than one group trying to convey conflicting or different messages.

We will be confronted eventually in fact they have already shut down nukes and shot at least One dummy warhead out of the sky.

It's so cra

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 07:28 AM
link   
Great thread, bybyots. The original Day The Earth Stood Still contained some of the best dialogue in cinema history.

Klaatu: Perhaps before deciding on a course of action, you'd want to know more about the people here - to orient yourself in a strange environment.
Mrs. Barley: There's nothing strange about Washington, Mr. Carpenter.
Klaatu: A person from another planet might disagree with you.

Reporter: I suppose you are just as scared as the rest of us.
Klaatu: In a different way, perhaps. I am fearful when I see people substituting fear for reason.

The movie's soundtrack was incredible...surreal IMO. I read an interview with one of the famous young upstart film scorers. ( It might have been Elfman ) He said musicians to this day are blown away by the soundtrack.

Here's a great little mini-documentary of the soundtrack:

Turner Classic's trailer shows the awesome first scene of Gort's disintegrating ray at the :20 mark.
TCM Trailer

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 08:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Bybyots

Well I think they succeeded in their goal.. After ‘The Day the Earth Stood Still’ a new way of thinking emerge that gave birth to shows like Lost in Space, Star Trek and Star Wars that open the human mind, hey: maybe we're not alone, and how cool is that, being part of a galactic neighborhood!!!

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Steven Spielberg said: "I don't make movies to entertain, necessarily; I make movies to comment on important issues of the day"

Pick apart that quote. Every movie, theme, character, this man has name was NOT TO ENTERTAIN.
The man produced E.T.

The concept for E.T. was based on an imaginary friend Spielberg created after his parents' divorce in 1960
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Bybyots

I see your point, then it was space ships, the newer version is how defective we are as a species...........same title different message.

A quote that fits them both kind of says it all. "You can ignore reality, but you can not ignore the consequences of ignoring reality....... Ayn Rand

Just a thought.

edit on 17-2-2013 by Battleline because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 10:42 AM
link   

The man produced E.T.

He produced 'Who Framed Roger Rabbit?' - what was the message there?

Great thread OP but I'd go for your first conclusion, that 3 friends used their skills gained in the military to make one of the best Sci Fi films ever.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by dave_welch

The man produced E.T.

I don't remember if it was the Jim Marrs book The Alien Agenda, The Stieger book The Rainbow Conspiracy that mentions this, stating Close Encounters of the Third kind as well. It's interesting, but I wouldn't say that all of Spielberg's movies are made to comment on important issues. He also did The Duel (businessman harassed by truck driver), Jaws (killer shark), Indian Jones (Nazi, and recently Russian, fighting archaeologist), and Schindler's List (Holocaust). I'm pretty sure some of his movies are made for entertainment only.

All those movies have a strong message you just have to know the story behind them. Some are hidden and only meant for those that are experiencing what hes telling them. Its hard to stay awake and focused when watching a movie because the refresh rate keeps you down into a sleep like state but next time try to read between the lines.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join