It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bright fireball seen over Bay Area skies. Reports from peninsula, Fairfield, and Santa Clara.

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Char-Lee

Yes.I know.Sorry about that.Just my sense of humor.And I posted before reading all the previous posts.Had I read them first I certainly would have deferred to PHAGE.Gotta lot of respect for that one.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 02:02 PM
link   
some will get it, some wont. and that's the bottom line

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by ShaeTheShaman

I won't ask who is which.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 04:35 PM
link   
I am going to make a simple statement here. When you look up into the night sky, and gaze at all the tiny white dots that are in fact stars just like ours or hundreds to thousands of times larger than ours. So with all those billions of trillions of stars. So many in fact, we will never name them all, or view them.

This is the Andromeda Galaxy

It's composed of 1 trillion(10^2) stars, and there are millions more Galaxies just like it.

With all that light, the sky still appears black. Many of us think of space as some giant empty expanse filled with stars. A large part of why the sky appears black, is because other objects that absorb that light occupy that same space. There are so many objects in space the night sky appears black, even with all that light out there. So in reality, space is a lot like this.

There are all sorts of objects, ranging from grains of dust, to planet sized asteroids flying around in space at speed unlike anything here on Earth.

Our own Galaxy is moving through the universe at 3,600,000 KPH, rotating at about 675,000 km/h(our solar system along with it). Earth is orbiting the sun at 107,300 km/h, The Earth Rotates at a speed of 1675km/h.

Break neck speeds to be moving in a giant Universal traffic jam. Collisions are bound to occur.

edit on 16-2-2013 by Hijinx because: Still had to fix pics

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by FireballStorm

Originally posted by MamaJ
The fireball or (whatever it was) that struck Russia, was not common as far as my view can tell. I have never seen anything like it.

Not common from your perspective perhaps, and yes, granted this was quite a large fireball compared to many others that you/we hear about, but as mentioned a few posts above, the world is a big place, much of it un-populated or sparcely populated. So events on this scale can easily go unnoticed and unreported.

The fact is that many fireballs (and probably a few that drop meteorites) enter the atmosphere every day if you take the world as a whole. This has been going on since anyone can remember - but I'm guessing you have not been hearing about them on a daily basis up till now?

Did you hear about this one that shook houses and scared the crap out of people living in South Africa in 2009?

Or this event in Peru in 2007 when a big meteoroid/small asteroid actually impacted the ground leaving behind a small crater and shattering windows at 1 km distance from the impact site?

I could find more events on this scale if I had the time. They are not *that* uncommon.

"As far as MY view can tell", that is what I said. Key words.

I am glad you were able to expand on that agreement (in reference to your bold "YOUR" in the reply) with more detail. It is still not common for events like that whereas say, in a lifetime. Maybe it is a lifetime event. I have seen it on videos, but have yet to see it for MYself. I await then for MY "lifetime event"?

I have never seen a UFO or an Angel, Ghost, Devil, Jesus, God, nothing exciting, not even a fireball such as we have seen in Russia and what you have also shown with your two links and events.

So, from MY VIEW (what I see/have seen), its not common.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Hijinx

Most definitely, it's the way it is.

It is sooo exciting too. My head is spinning just thinking about it.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Well here what my sky cam got that night
I,m in North West Ontario Canada

Was looking East
edit on 16-2-2013 by Trillium because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Something I truly find distrubing is both in Russia, and now here people see a bright,burning object falling from the sky and the keep driving towards it.

Seriously????????????????????????????

I would have stopped

Geez.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
Something I truly find distrubing is both in Russia, and now here people see a bright,burning object falling from the sky and the keep driving towards it.

I would have stopped

Geez.

I know, I don't get that either. I actually might turn and go the other way ha ha, but that's the tinfoil hat in me.

I'm surprised no one thought they were being attacked, a lot of those flashes look fairly similar to what you would see if you were nuked.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Around 10 years ago, from all the interesting - and some ridiculous - information

I read on Planet X (and no, it wasn't all from Sitchen. It included some interesting

astronomer email conversations , from the www.cfa.harvard.edu...) ..... I came

to the conclusion that at some point a long period, large mass object disrupting

oort cloud comets, and then the asteroid belt itself while on a passage near our inner

solar system, would result in increased meteorite strikes. The current events are curious,

but prove nothing - yet. Stay tuned.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 06:13 PM
link   
On that note.... Unsub.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 06:33 PM
link   

"As far as MY view can tell", that is what I said. Key words.

I am glad you were able to expand on that agreement (in reference to your bold "YOUR" in the reply) with more detail. It is still not common for events like that whereas say, in a lifetime. Maybe it is a lifetime event. I have seen it on videos, but have yet to see it for MYself. I await then for MY "lifetime event"?

I have never seen a UFO or an Angel, Ghost, Devil, Jesus, God, nothing exciting, not even a fireball such as we have seen in Russia and what you have also shown with your two links and events.

Yes, quite true that everyone's perspective is different. My ultimate point would be that we all have our own perspective, but we should not let that cloud the fact that impressively bright fireballs occur very frequently in terms of the global scale.

On the personal scale, I agree, an event like Russia is easily once in a lifetime if not a few lifetimes. The kind of amount of energy released for the event to equal and exeede the brightnes of the Sun as the fireball did in this case is something a only very privaliged few will ever experience in their lifetime, and you could easily spend the rest of your life looking up at the sky and not see one on that scale.

On the other hand, events like the Bay Area fireball are a bit more common. You can easily see them if you are persistant enough/have the time. Just spend time observing as best you can, from the best observing site you can. Good observing technique will increase your odds significantly.

Most people just don't observe enough to see a fireball like the Bay Area fireball unless they are very fortunate, and happen to me looking at the right part of the sky at the right time.

I personally preffer to try and spend a whole night observing, and during the peak of a major meteor shower if at all possible. I have often seen bright random fireballs that were likely caused by little peices of asteroids entering the atmosphere, along with many fireballs of cometary origin that belong to the meteor shower I'm out there to observe. So far though, no brighter fireballs than the ones of cometary origin (associated with meteor showers) that I have seen, and some of those have been nearly as impressive in terms of brightness as the Russian event (easily as bright as the full moon at the very least).

Whist there is never a guarentee you will see any fireball even if you spend 2 or 3 nights in a row observing even during a major shower peak from a reasnobly good dark sky observing site when the sky is clear, and using good technique, the chances are you will see a few fireball class meteors, as well as plenty of smaller meteors, which can be surprisingly impressive when seen from a good dark observing site.

I'd highly reccomend this years Persied meteor shower (on the nights between the 11th - 14th August, with the peak predicted on the night of the 13th/14th if I remember correctly), and spend a few nights (dusk till dawn) at good rural dark sky site if you can - you won't be board if the sky is clear, and there is a very good chance you will see some impressive meteors and fireballs. Take a vacation if you have to, this year should be quite a good year, although some are predicting even stronger activity in a few years time... there are lots of good oprtunities for you and any ATS members/readers to see impressive displays coming up soon. Make the most of them - once they are gone, they are gone, and you won't have very much to tell to your grandkids

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 08:01 PM
link   

These are not common events, and those who say differently may be part of an agenda to keep the common man in the dark, keep the economy going, etc. Just like they said at the start of the housing bubble there was no bubble, and when it started to implode that it would be contained, or those that said Fukushima was contained, or not as bad as Chernyobyl, just read my signature to see how the masses are controlled.

Trust your what your heart tells you, and those that deliberately lie to their fellow man for a paycheque are the lowest scum and accrue much negative karma for such and will pay for their treachery some day.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by PlanetXisHERE

What about this?
Lies, all lies?
www.amsmeteors.org...

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Is it just a meteor shower? Or something...bigger?

Report coming in from Cuba now too.... Promise I won't panic until the skies

fill with a few hundred of them per city....

Cuba and SF meteors

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by goou111

Originally posted by Meldionne1
Wow! Did it hit anything or just burn up?

its just breaking now im not sure

Meteors almost always break up before they hit the ground, same thing with the Meteor in Russia, it broke up into tiny pieces called meteorites .. whatever didn't incinerate in the atmosphere hit the ground in fairly small pieces.. It's the sonic boom that causes the damage.. just like on Tonguska =)

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 11:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by PlanetXisHERE
These are not common events, and those who say differently may be part of an agenda to keep the common man in the dark

That's absolutely false.. we get hit by thousands per day, though they are mostly tiny like a grain of rice... we get hit once per week by meteors about the size of a car, every few months something the size of a house will enter the atmosphere... it's actually very common .. the rarer event is the kind that happened in Russia recently.. the kind in this video is VERY common.. shooting stars are seen all the time, and that's precisely what this is .. they almost always burn up entirely before hitting the ground, usually only super tiny fragments hit the surface of the earth.

The other thing to note is that a lot of times events like this happen without any witnesses in remote areas.. like the Tonguska event which wasn't known to scientists apparently for nearly 20 years..

Either way.. your statement is completely false..
edit on 2/16/2013 by miniatus because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 12:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by neo96

I would have stopped

Geez.

Human curiosity at work.

-SAP-

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Thanks Phage,

I didn't know about this and I submitted my report for the large one I saw on the 15th. Looking, it seems there are already 9 reports for the one I saw.

edit on 17-2-2013 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 12:35 AM
link   
A lot of meteors end up hitting Earth each year. Over 500, I believe. So.. often more than 1 a day. So sure, you'll see more fireballs. It's pretty common.

Also pretty common is once something happens (like the less common larger meteor in Russia), suddenly all meteors are an indication that we are being swarmed by space rocks. Just not the case, sorry. And I say sorry because I know that sort of news upsets many, who actually enjoy that sort of chaos, damage and "excitement."

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join