It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bright fireball seen over Bay Area skies. Reports from peninsula, Fairfield, and Santa Clara.

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 03:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Maybe so. But I don't have one in the back yard that isn't giving much !

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 03:34 AM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

Well you know.
When your pheasants get old and dried up they stop laying.

It really makes perfect sense.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 03:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Point taken.
SnF and all dat.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 03:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Look, I'm not a scientist. But, I'm smart enough to know not to try and argue with you about your pet topic. LoL!

But I will only say this...

There are things that I know. There are things that I know that I don't know. There are waaaay more things that I don't even know that I don't know...

That applies to everyone, including scientists.

The universe is far more complex and mysterious than any of us can grasp, otherwise we wouldn't still be stuck on this rock.

So, it's just possible, that scientists don't know, unequivocally, that this is all unrelated.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 03:48 AM
link   
reply to post by kosmicjack

I've said it before.

Just because they don't know everything doesn't mean they don't know anything.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 03:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by kosmicjack

I've said it before.

Just because they don't know everything doesn't mean they don't know anything.

That's like say'in, just because I don't know what I'm do'in doesn't mean I'm do'in it wrong !

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 04:03 AM
link   
it seems to me that we will know soon enough if this is all related or not. It looks like it could possibly be related right now. Whats that, 3 strikes in a 24 hour period? Now if we get hit a few more times, it would seem more likely to be related. Theres no way of knowing at this moment. I also wonder, how we knew 2012 da14 was coming close to earth, but russia gets hit like they did? How was that one missed?

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 04:22 AM
link   
Reply to post by Phage

You are thinking of a

Chachalaca

aka Mexican Pheasant

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 04:49 AM
link   
all i can say about all the meteorites is that the tv show "meteorite men" are assured of at least 3 or 4 more new seasons of the show.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 05:56 AM
link   
Some interesting results from down here in Melbourne (Au). I spent 45 minutes meteor scanning (flipping neck is killing me!). I try and get out there once a week or so, and occasionally catch the odd 1 or 2 per night.
But tonight I saw a total of 4! My daughter saw 3 of those because I made her come outside saying the chances were pretty good.
Luckily, she saw the best one, which was quick orange and the most spectacular one I've ever seen. Although, it was nowhere near fireball/bolide/Ural sized, just a beautiful display. No boom was heard, quickly vanished no left over trail visible, so I assume it was very high.
Directions is puzzling me.
1st running (approx) East-> West
2nd traversing SthEast -> NorWest
3rd went West -> East? Must have been completely a fluke!
4th was the best one (orange) going SthEast -> NorWest

So, combined with the fly-by... maybe the third odd one out was a tiny companion tagging behind 2012 DA14? But with the Ural/Cuba/Florida sightings I'd advise if you get a chance, drag your kids outside and hopefully they will catch a quick wish

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Qumulys
Some interesting results from down here in Melbourne (Au). I spent 45 minutes meteor scanning (flipping neck is killing me!). I try and get out there once a week or so, and occasionally catch the odd 1 or 2 per night.

Just the odd one or two?

If you get away from the city, find a good observing site (un-lightpolluted and with all-round horizons that are clear from large obstructions), and use proper meteor observing technique (laying down flat and looking more or less straight up), you'll probably see lots more if you spend a little while observing.

I havn't been able to observe much recently (due to moving house and the weather not being very cooperative), but I spent 30-40 mins looking up (not even using proper observing technique) a few weeks back from my garden (rural), and I saw 4 nice meteors. That's not at all unusual for me.

I've been observing meteors, and interested in fireballs especially for over 15 years now, and I can tell you that fireballs and meteors are common. We are constantly bombarded from all directions and by multiple sources. Over 500 meteor showers are known to science, and then we have random meteors/fireballs/bolides on top of that.

There is absolutely nothing going on right now that has not been going on since long before you or I were ever here.

As usual, it takes a big fireball hitting the news before people start paying attention.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by TheMistro81

There weren't three strikes. There was one strike and two air bursts. The one in California was utterly unremarkable.
The Earth is hit by basketball sized meteorites every single day. The fact that these were all coming, apparently, from completely different directions demonstrates this stuff is unrelated. People are just paying more attention and worrying. Much to do about nothing.

The Russian event was cool, though. Largest known strike in quite some time. But I would emphasize the word KNOWN strike. Remember 3/4 of this planet is covered by water. Most meteorites, therefore, hit out in the ocean where there is little chance we would know about them.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 09:35 AM
link   
The video reminds me of the kids and I driving one night recently and seeing MANY just like that one in California.

Meteor showers are very common.

The fireball or (whatever it was) that struck Russia, was not common as far as my view can tell. I have never seen anything like it.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 09:53 AM
link   
haha people have just noticed shooting stars occurring frequently right now.
This is very common I see them lots every night when I go for a smoke. mainly east to west direction.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by MamaJ
The fireball or (whatever it was) that struck Russia, was not common as far as my view can tell. I have never seen anything like it.

Not common from your perspective perhaps, and yes, granted this was quite a large fireball compared to many others that you/we hear about, but as mentioned a few posts above, the world is a big place, much of it un-populated or sparcely populated. So events on this scale can easily go unnoticed and unreported.

The fact is that many fireballs (and probably a few that drop meteorites) enter the atmosphere every day if you take the world as a whole. This has been going on since anyone can remember - but I'm guessing you have not been hearing about them on a daily basis up till now?

Did you hear about this one that shook houses and scared the crap out of people living in South Africa in 2009?

Or this event in Peru in 2007 when a big meteoroid/small asteroid actually impacted the ground leaving behind a small crater and shattering windows at 1 km distance from the impact site?

I could find more events on this scale if I had the time. They are not *that* uncommon.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Could it be that we are just seeing satellites crashing down to earth and not being told??

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by JayinAR

The planet Earth will never be out of the woods.

Time is coming...signs signs everywhere signs.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Char-Lee

The same "signs" that have always been there.
The same "signs" that people have talked about for thousands of years.

edit on 2/16/2013 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

very true, and that's why if there ever was a SIGN, it would slip right pass our little think we know it all minds!

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by ShaeTheShaman

You mean it would be indistinguishable from any other event?
Not much of a sign then.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join