It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bright fireball seen over Bay Area skies. Reports from peninsula, Fairfield, and Santa Clara.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by goou111
reply to post by SonOfTheLawOfOne

Wow I hope we get some good pics or video

Or better yet, an explanation of what the hell is going on!

Even avid skywatchers are suggesting that it's unusual to have something like this happen when the Earth is not in the midst of a shower.

~Namaste

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 11:27 PM
link   
Well, the earth, sun, and asteroids are attacking us not to mention the increase in shark and bear attacks. The ticks, bedbugs, and mosquitos are also getting more aggravated. Not to mention the armies of super bacteria and killer fungus that we have somehow created. Can't forget the Sun being a little riled lately and the hurricanes and tornadoes..... The only friends we seem to have left are the few whales and dolphins. The bumble bees are our friends but we are killing them all somehow..

I think we better start looking at our actions here on earth, these other creatures outnumber us a trillion to one.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 11:29 PM
link   

reply to post by usaman1983

I wanna go outside and skywatch but its frikin snowing here damm

Same here. Anytime there is some cool celestial event taking place I can count on overcast skies.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 11:31 PM
link   
I think we are in a solar storm!!

Wasnt there talk of it sometime last year that in 2013 there was going to be solar storms and I think this is the first stages of it?

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 11:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by SonOfTheLawOfOne

Wow I hope we get some good pics or video

Or better yet, an explanation of what the hell is going on!

Even avid skywatchers are suggesting that it's unusual to have something like this happen when the Earth is not in the midst of a shower.

~Namaste

Im usually very skeptical with all the doom stuff.. But this has me wondering lol
edit on 15-2-2013 by goou111 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Do you have any explanation for two events in the same day in different parts of the world, within a few hours of each other?

Nope. But some people (not me) have gotten a straight flush before.

Really, I don't think an explanation is needed. There was only one really extraordinary event, one that is thought to occur somewhere on Earth every two or three decades. Lesser fireballs are not as unusual as you may think. That two happened within twenty fours could be, and probably is, a lucky roll of the dice.

Based on timing and the speed of 2012 DA14, the California object was close to 1 million kilometers away from the Russian meteor if they were on anywhere near the same orbit.
edit on 2/15/2013 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 11:32 PM
link   
reply to post by usaman1983

Solar storms don't fling meteoroids at Earth

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 11:40 PM
link   
reply to post by goou111

This just came across Twitter. Have no idea if it's legit.
www.youtube.com...

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 11:41 PM
link   
reply to post by drwill

ty

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 11:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage

Do you have any explanation for two events in the same day in different parts of the world, within a few hours of each other?

Nope. But some people (not me) have gotten a straight flush before.

Really, I don't think an explanation is needed. There was only one really extraordinary event, one that is thought to occur somewhere on Earth every two or three decades. Lesser fireballs are not as unusual as you may think. That two happened within twenty fours could be, and probably is, a lucky roll of the dice.

Based on timing and the speed of 2012 DA14, the California object was close to 1 million kilometers away from the Russian meteor if they were on anywhere near the same orbit.

How about 3 in 24 hours... is that still a lucky roll of the dice?

Several reports (9 to be exact) of fireballs seen in AL, GA, MS all at approximately the same time... and all occurring today.

www.amsmeteors.org...

It would be hard to chalk that up to a lucky roll of the dice.

~Namaste

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 11:44 PM
link   

Not as unusual as you might think

841 reports found in the last 30 days

www.amsmeteors.org...

Several reports (9 to be exact) of fireballs seen in AL, GA, MS all at approximately the same time... and all occurring today.
Same event. Note the ID number.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 11:47 PM
link   
www.mercurynews.com...

NASA scientists said that object, described as a "tiny asteroid," measured about 45 feet across, weighed about 10,000 tons and was traveling about 40,000 mph before it exploded 15 miles above the Earth's surface with a force equivalent to a small nuclear bomb.

It was not immediately known if Friday night's light show coincided with the fly-by of a small asteroid earlier in the day. That object, which NASA dubbed 2012 DA14, came within

10,000 tons is tiny?

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 11:49 PM
link   
reply to post by goou111

10,000 tons??!

ETA: I am assuming they meant 10,000lbs. Makes it about half the size of the Russian meteorite. Or well, half the weight. Roughly the same size. Not near as dense.
edit on 15-2-2013 by JayinAR because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 11:50 PM
link   
reply to post by goou111

The description in the first paragraph is that of the Russian event. But compared to DA14, yes it was small. Compared to some asteroids, it was tiny.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 11:50 PM
link   

Not as unusual as you might think

841 reports found in the last 30 days

www.amsmeteors.org...

Same event. Note the ID number.

Right.

To your point, 841 reports is not 841 events, and including the last 30 days probably includes the reports from Russia.

840 of those reports could have come from the same event (not saying they did, just giving context of my point). What I'm referring to is 3 distinct events in a 24 hour period. You just said 2 was a lucky roll of the dice... I find one more, and that starts to take the shape of something more than just luck. While I understand your point that these events aren't necessarily unusual, unless you have a good explanation for 3 events in 24 hours resulting in hundreds of "reports" in total, I'm not convinced that it is merely coincidence.

And without a good explanation that is reasonable, I believe it will be hard to convince others of the same.

~Namaste
edit on 15-2-2013 by SonOfTheLawOfOne because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-2-2013 by SonOfTheLawOfOne because: typos

edit on 15-2-2013 by SonOfTheLawOfOne because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 11:53 PM
link   

840 of those reports could have come from the same event
Yes. Yes they did. And if you go to the site you can see which were separate events, 223 of them. And this is just in the US.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 11:53 PM
link   

reply to post by goou111

The description in the first paragraph is that of the Russian event. But compared to DA14, yes it was small. Compared to some asteroids, it was tiny.

Yep dang I read that wrong lol

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 11:57 PM
link   

840 of those reports could have come from the same event
Yes. Yes they did. And if you go to the site you can see which were separate events, 223 of them. And this is just in the US.

I can't find a way to identify which ones were confirmed other than the number of reports, so taking that into consideration, I have to wonder how many were legitimate events.

The 3 so far in the past 24 hours have enough reports independently and now (thanks to another poster), video to confirm.

It still seems a bit more than coincidental, but I'm willing to accept that it is... just not easily.

~Namaste

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 11:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by SonOfTheLawOfOne

I can't find a way to identify which ones were confirmed other than the number of reports, so taking that into consideration, I have to wonder how many were legitimate events.

The confirmed events are numbered. The reports for each event are lettered. Pending reports are not numbered.
The AMS does a good job of confirming separate events. If you want to doubt them I guess you can but 223 in 30 days doesn't make 3 in one day look that special. Cut that number in half if you want.

You'll see most, if not all of them are from the US.
edit on 2/16/2013 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 12:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by IamAbeliever
Maybe 2012 DA14 had a few of these "moons" and this is what we are seeing get pulled into our atmosphere.

Just a theory.

Well your theory could be tested if we have any aspiring astrophysicist in the forum. How much gravitational force would this particular asteroid exert on objects near it? Would it be capable of holding such objects given known constants of the: Sun, Earth, Moon, and other objects of larger gravitational force it may encounter?

If so, could this object maintain and "hold" and object the size estimated to have entered the atmosphere in Russia?

My guess, without running the math is no.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join