It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bright fireball seen over Bay Area skies. Reports from peninsula, Fairfield, and Santa Clara.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Looks like fireballs are being reported much all over the globe, today and around DA14's close visit....

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 10:57 PM
link   
as long as there are no sonic booms, then that would spare the damage unless it hits

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 11:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Ear-Responsible

Pretty sure that is a screen capture from one in Russia..

Oh? Show me where since it was 8pm in CA but it was 9am in Russia? It doesn't look like 9am in the picture I posted... looks more like 8pm Pacific time.

It came from here:

www.nbcbayarea.com...

~Namaste
edit on 15-2-2013 by SonOfTheLawOfOne because: (no reason given)

link   
Found this
www.mercurynews.com...

It may not have been as spectacular as the space snowball that streaked across the skies above Russia late Thursday, but the Bay Area's close encounter with a meteor Friday night was drawing its own attention on social networks.

Comments on Twitter indicated the object that flashed across the horizon around 8 p.m. was blue in color and visible from the Peninsula to at least the eastern reaches of Contra Costa County and as far away as Red Bluff
t

link   
Great balls of fire!!!!!

2012 hype lives on....

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 11:01 PM
link   
reply to post by goou111

Nothing to be afraid of.Probably.
DA14 almost certainly had a debris field trailing it.Maybe.

The next few hours might be interesting.

+1 more 
posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 11:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by SonOfTheLawOfOne

Pretty sure that is a screen capture from one in Russia..

Oh? Show me where since it was 8pm in CA but it was 9am in Russia? It doesn't look like 9am in the picture I posted... looks more like 8pm Pacific time.

It came from here:

www.nbcbayarea.com...

~Namaste

First clip.
edit on 15-2-2013 by Ear-Responsible because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 11:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by mardukiscoming
reply to post by goou111

Nothing to be afraid of.Probably.
DA14 almost certainly had a debris field trailing it.Maybe.

The next few hours might be interesting.

No. DA14 came from a completely different direction and has already passed our orbit.

This is a great illustration that shows the difference in trajectory between the meteor in Russia and DA14.

www.telegraph.co.uk...

I have a feeling that DA14 may have disturbed material in the asteroid belt between Mars and Jupiter, and that might be what we're seeing now? Hard to say...

~Namaste

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Good call!
Stars for you, and good eye.

So why would they post the picture from the Russian one on a page for an article in California talking about a sighting there? That seems rather strange...

~Namaste

P.S. - Thanks for not shooting the messenger.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 11:10 PM
link   
GroundZero show is reporting fireballs over the sky, I doubt that it was more then one though!!!

www.kxl.com...

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 11:11 PM
link   
reply to post by SonOfTheLawOfOne

I agree, I was a bit surprised to see that a legit news source would use an unrelated picture. I can only assume they used it as default until they can get some in of the ones witnessed there. Strange indeed.

link   

I have a feeling that DA14 may have disturbed material in the asteroid belt between Mars and Jupiter, and that might be what we're seeing now? Hard to say...

Easy to say. DA14 gets no where near the asteroid belt. Its orbit closely parallels that of Earth and for the most part remains inside our orbit.
ssd.jpl.nasa.gov...

link   
reply to post by usaman1983

I wanna go outside and skywatch but its frikin snowing here damm

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 11:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage

Easy to say. DA14 gets no where near the asteroid belt. Its orbit closely parallels that of Earth and for the most part remains inside our orbit.
ssd.jpl.nasa.gov...

Thanks for the info Phage.

Do you have any explanation for two events in the same day in different parts of the world, within a few hours of each other?

~Namaste

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 11:18 PM
link   
hers another source with some video
www.nbcbayarea.com...

Did you see it?

On a day that had a lot of people talking about meteorites and asteroids, a fireball of some sort was seen streaking across the Bay Area skies.

The fireball was seen just after 8 p.m.

There are reports into the newsroom from people as far north as Fairfield and as far south as Gilroy. It was also seen in Sacramento.

It was bluish in color and appeared to be heading straight to the ground, according to one viewer in Santa Clara

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 11:18 PM
link   

It could still have a debris field with it...

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 11:19 PM
link   
There are a lot of reports coming in about the one in CA:

www.amsmeteors.org...

This was the most impressive meteor I have ever seen. The trail was just stunning. The closes comparable meteor was during the remarkable Leonid shower perhaps in 2000. There was a meteor that was seen all over CA associated with the shower. In comparison that was like a firefly compared to spotlight on a light house. I can not emphasize how large this was. What was also pretty amazing is it occurring so close in time to the meteor seen in Russia. This was as equally as bright as that one while moving, but the termination of the Russian meteor was much closer and brighter than this one, which appear to terminate quite a distance out of over the ocean. What was striking is that the trail continued to be visible for between 10 and 20 minutes afterward.

The train was about 5 degrees wide and was visible from horizon to about 5 degrees above the horizon over the ocean. We were at approximately 1100 Ft. elevation. The train was huge in comparison to a typical contrail left by a jumbo jet. It also appeared rather low in the sky.

Wow...

~Namaste

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 11:22 PM
link   
"Eddie" from the above link says he was facing South and saw the meteor move basically straight down. North to South trajectory. Hmm

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Wow I hope we get some good pics or video

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by goou111
reply to post by usaman1983

I wanna go outside and skywatch but its frikin snowing here damm

During the Leonid Meteor shower one year, it was overcast after a snow but you could still see an occasional streak and hear the crackle because it was so quiet. It was a little unnerving but fascinating at the same time!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join