It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Smith: Asteroid, Meteor Stark Reminders of Need to Invest in Space Science

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 02:29 PM
link   
I honestly thought we'd have been out there living up their now en mass.

I'm not an astrophysicist. I went into the medical sciences. I wouldn't even be able to go to school to learn. I've four other college educations to worry about paying. However, I was just alluding to the need for an area to be filled. I wasn't suggesting that people not be trained for it properly. I just don't often read or hear about the science community need "more" scientists to cover watching more of the skies.

They don't want that many eyes in the sky. IMO.

Peace,
Cirque

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 11:31 PM
link   
It should be a foregone conclusion high ranking masons already know everything and so do high ranking government officials with all these clearances and need to know strings atttached. All the money goes to prevent alciada terrorists living in pakistina caves from striking nyc with missles, sorry I meant cargo planes, sorry I meant jet airliners again.

Those nsa satellites and graser and hell systems are focused downwards rather than upwards.

Just one more reason america needs a revolution either peacefully or forcefully. America likes to dictate to the world what to do but is not capable of looking after herself in the first place. A sad bunch of ignorant fools we have become.

And don't even get me started with the coverup of ufos by nasa.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 11:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by SeekerofTruth101
I guess in the end, it always boil down to money, or the lack of it.

Creating such systems will not be cheap, as will as the maintenance and the labor for it.

We can simply ignore the threat, of an annual 100ton debris falling on Earth, hoping for the best, or find cheaper but efficient practical ways to deal with it.

Currently, Norad, Nasa and other space observation installations in richer or insecure nations electronically track the globe daily for rocket launches, satellites and high altitude aircrafts. Big rocks can be tracked as well, but unfortunately, it is the 10ton rocks that can level 6 cities at one go that cannot currently be tracked.

Our space rock threat is thus not big rocks, but the small and fast untrackable ones such as those which hit Siberia few days ago.

Perhaps, universities around the world can try to get their science students to come with ideas on how to deal with those small tracks. I am sure out of the many thousands of graduating students, some of them are bound to have a brilliant idea of 2 for some cheap and effective measures.

Anway, its time we look towards space for resources, as at the rate of our consumption, pretty soon resources will be far costly to mine on Earth, and planets/asteroids may be cheaper, the way expensive oil had lead to fracking being a cheaper alternative.

And the best place to look for ideas are from our young, whom are free from funding worries that researchers often have to face, as University fundings comes from both the govt/People and charitable organisations, which can be put to good use rather than to repeat experiments or studies just to get a degree or Phd. At least that would be a direction that has more relavance for mankind.

The DOD spends about 700 billion annually! Thats a hell of a lot of money. And the recent wars added another few trillion to the defecit. If even 100 billion was diverted to nasa or the air force I feel they could do some really "cool stuff".

It is simply a matter of putting things in perspective by using common sense. I get tired of repeating myself but the ptb bankers are an evil bunch. These are the people pulling strings and holding on to the purse strings. All masons too.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 07:09 AM
link   
I believe that we should separate realities from speculations, so that we can deal with realities better than speculations which are often unsubstantiated or difficult to prove.

And the realities had literally hit home with those small 10 ton rocks in Siberia - we need to watch the skies, not only big rocks, but the small ones as well.

Most major space agencies can deal with big rocks, in terms of tracking them and even diverting them if need be through nudging them off their trajectory for asteriods or robotic crafts landing on larger rocks to detonate them far from Earth.

But most major space agencies cannot track small rocks which can cause considerable damage in population centres, with our current tech. Thus the only way is awareness and warnings for preparedness.

One way is to for every major population centres in our world to individually track the skies, from Tibet to the Samoan islands. It will not cost much. Just 2 CCTV cameras on highest points, and rotating shifts of 2 men to scan the skies 24/7, along with computers to link to major tracking centres for atmospheric changes.

1. Any disturbance upon our magnetosphere can be tracked, even small rocks as they would be travelling at high speeds, and when they hit the atmosphere, they will either burn up or cause a spike in the magnetosphere readings. It may be miniscule, but if our satellites have fine tuning instruments on board, it can show up better on record, as well as even its GPS location.

2. Once the GPS location is confirm, the CCTV cameras scanning the skies near that location will be paused to search in that direction, magnified, for visual confirmation and computerised plotting of eventual trajectory to Earth, all capably done within seconds by the computer.

Should it be plotted to hit the sea, then leave it alone. However, if its trajectory will hit cities, a general alert will be sounded to warn all residents to either get into the strongest parts of the buildings, go into bunkers, get out of cars and stay off streets, Health, Fire and Emergencies services immediately stop whatever they are doing and get ready for action anywhere.

All these must be practised, drilled or in the least published in a handbook for a residents to know what to do when meteorites hit. Citizens will have less than a minute to prepare, for the speed of the crashing meteorite will be extemely fast.

All these, to save precious lives, as our population grows and more moves into modern population centres or creating new population centres such as those in China, Brazil, Russia, etc.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Taggart

Originally posted by defuntion

Originally posted by CirqueDeTruth
Hey - give me a telescope and a sector of the sky.

My disabled arse would love to sit behind a telescope and have free reign to keep my eyes in space.

It's a big sky right? Why not put unemployed people to work, or give people with disabilities, and opportunity to fill a market in need!!!

Cirque

No offense to you, but how would WE know you're not busy playing farmville or checking your Facebook status when you should be watching your "sector"?

We really need more scientists working on this.

WE ?

"What you mean 'WE' kemosabe?".

We as in earth.........

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Once we weaponize space with anti-asteroid weapons whats to stop them being turned round and aimed at Earth?

Im not saying that there is no need for such weapons just that Man is as lightly to use them on their enemy as the asteroids.
edit on 18-2-2013 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by andy06shake
How do we defend against massive projectiles moving in excess of Mach 15?

Nukes just fracture them up and are way to slow to be effective.

Lazers and particle beams don't yet have the power to do much either.

Solar sails, well again way to slow, you would need many months if not years to prepare a mission.

Lets face it we need antimatter capabilities and a faster delivery system to stand any chance against these things.

edit on 16-2-2013 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

You detect them early, meet them when they are still distant and nudge them ever so slightly.

We don't have to destroy anything, just make it miss.

A better detection network and a nuclear electric or nuclear thermal propelled spacecraft is what we should be working on. All doable right now if we could be bothered. Which we cant. :-(

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by justwokeup

I agree with with you, i did say we need a faster delivery system, and it seems a better idea to make them miss rather than try to completely annihilate them considering you run the risk of fragmenting them. Even better if we could stear them into the Sun, that way they will not hit anything else.

How are you suggesting we change there trajectory once there?

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 02:47 PM
link   

I agree with with you, i did say we need a faster delivery system, and it seems a better idea to make them miss rather than try to completely annihilate them considering you run the risk of fragmenting them. Even better if we could stear them into the Sun, that way they will not hit anything else.

How are you suggesting we change there trajectory once there?

Depends how massive it is and how close it is when you get to it.

If its small enough/far enough you could gravity tractor an object by simply maintaining station close to it. The object and the spacecraft will exert pull on one another. If you use propulsion to maintain a fixed distance you will slowly pull on the object. Thats a pretty elegant solution but its dependent on a lot of things. The farther away you meet the asteroid the smaller the amount of motion you need to give it to trigger a miss.

The other solutions all require interacting with the body directly and i've heard a number of ideas, from attaching electric thrusters to excavating mass from it and throwing it off into space at high velocity.

We need a tool kit since not every option will work best for all asteroids.

Bigger bombs are some way down the list of tech we need to solve this problem. Although its historically always been easier to get money for bigger bombs than science, utility be damned.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 02:53 PM
link   

What about using scalar interferometers on them, i think Tesla had some ideas maybe even designs regarding those type of devices. He was way ahead of his time. If they have made any progress using his famous missing diaries who knows what they contained or what they have in there arsenal now.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by UberL33t

Nature demands that we explore space.

Since we are a part of nature we have only three true goals in life. Meaning that nature doesn't care what we do as long as we:

1. Multiply. Every successful living thing on this planet is designed to spread as far and wide as it can.

2. Eat or be eaten. This drives evolution and renews life in a way that doesn't leave dead and rotting things poisoning the environment.

3. Spread life throughout the universe. This ensures the continuation of life just as mold will spread from one fruit to the next.

If we don't master the exploration of space and start to colonize other planets, we WILL die out from one catastrophe or another.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 03:15 PM
link   
I just came across this posted on a news site a few hours ago -

Congress to hold hearings on meteorite protection as NASA funds new projects

Looks like a few people are worried.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lady_Tuatha
I just came across this posted on a news site a few hours ago -

Congress to hold hearings on meteorite protection as NASA funds new projects

Looks like a few people are worried.

The comments in that post are priceless.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj
reply to post by UberL33t

Nature demands that we explore space.

Since we are a part of nature we have only three true goals in life. Meaning that nature doesn't care what we do as long as we:

1. Multiply. Every successful living thing on this planet is designed to spread as far and wide as it can.

2. Eat or be eaten. This drives evolution and renews life in a way that doesn't leave dead and rotting things poisoning the environment.

3. Spread life throughout the universe. This ensures the continuation of life just as mold will spread from one fruit to the next.

If we don't master the exploration of space and start to colonize other planets, we WILL die out from one catastrophe or another.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by justwokeup

How do we defend against massive projectiles moving in excess of Mach 15?

Nukes just fracture them up and are way to slow to be effective.

Lazers and particle beams don't yet have the power to do much either.

Solar sails, well again way to slow, you would need many months if not years to prepare a mission.

Lets face it we need antimatter capabilities and a faster delivery system to stand any chance against these things.

edit on 16-2-2013 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

You detect them early, meet them when they are still distant and nudge them ever so slightly.

We don't have to destroy anything, just make it miss.

A better detection network and a nuclear electric or nuclear thermal propelled spacecraft is what we should be working on. All doable right now if we could be bothered. Which we cant. :-(

We ALREADY HAVE the proper technology but it seems to be focused downwards rather than into space. Look into HEL(High Energy Laser) and GRASER(Gamma Ray Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation) systems which has marginal information available in the public domain. Most of it is CLASSIFIED and cannot get access to.

en.wikipedia.org...

Why fool around with "nudging them around" when you can obliterate them?

We have plenty of alien technology but its either kept in the dark or used against humanity. And lets not forget the star wars program initiated by ronald reagan to destroy soviet nukes inbound towards usa back in the 80s.
edit on 20/2/13 by EarthCitizen07 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 03:49 PM
link   
It will take the death and destruction of thousands to wake up those who can fund this. I hope it does not happen where I am living at the time. I hope we get a serious warning shot to wake them up before we are exterminated.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join