It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mblah's Chicken Piccata with Artichoke Hearts and Mushrooms

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 07:31 PM
link   
This is probably one of my favorite Italian dishes. I like anything that has chicken, lemon and mushrooms in a wine sauce! MMMMM!

It is usually made without the artichoke and mushrooms but I think it adds a little more flavor. I served it with Jasmine Rice and some fresh asparagus that I wrapped in foil packets and drizzled extra virgin olive oil over and a couple slices (1 1/2 tbs in slices) of butter not margarine. I then added some fresh lemon juice and baked at 375F for about 40mins.

I make my sauce thicker and I make more so I can have extra for left overs and to add to the rice, it's really tasty on rice!

Mblah's Chicken Piccata with Artichoke Hearts and Mushrooms

Ingredients
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts pounded to about a half an inch to 3/4 inch thickness.
3/4 cup flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1 tbs Italian seasoning
**I used a mixture of fresh basil and oregano and dried Rosemary, Thyme, Parsley and Dill. You can use any Italian blend you want, it doesn't have to be fresh. I just had the ingredients and used them.

2 1/2 tbs extra virgin olive oil
3/4 cup white wine
1 3/4 cups chicken broth
1 1/2 teaspoon garlic, minced
1 onion, minced
2 1/4 tbs lemon juice
1 can artichoke hearts, chopped
3/4 cup of capers with the juice. One jar will usually work they are about 4 ounces.
2 tbs butter

Directions
1. Mix the flour, salt/pepper, Italian seasonings and garlic in a large bowl.
2. Heat a big 10 inch skillet about 2-3 inches deep with the 2 1/2 tbs extra virgin olive oil on medium heat.
2. Now take the chicken and toss in the flour mixture, fully coating chicken on each side.
3. Brown chicken coated chicken for about 2 mins on each side til brown, not cooked just browned then take out of pan and set aside.
4. In the pan you just browned the chicken in add the garlic and onion and cook til translucent, about 5mins. Add a little more EVOO if it gets too dry. I usually just drizzle it over the onion/garlic mixture.
5. Add white wine. raise the heat to high and cook til reduced by half, about 5mins.
6. Return the chicken to the pan. Add the chicken broth, lemon juice, mushrooms and artichoke hearts. Lower heat to medium/low and cook for about 20mins til sauce thickens. Add capers and butter at the end and stir.

edit on 2/15/2013 by mblahnikluver because: fix headline color

edit on Sat Feb 16 2013 by DontTreadOnMe because: chicken added to step 6.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Oh that makes me even more hungry than I already am........looks absolutely delicious! Will have to give this a try next weekend.

P.S. Thanks for the wine sauce recipe it was fantastic! I know it was some time ago, but I never thanked you for it after making it.

edit on 2/15/2013 by SpaDe_ because: sp

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 06:16 AM
link   
Eeeeek!

I forgot to say Add the chicken you browned with all the ingredients in step 6

You will add the chicken you browned to Step 6, minus capers and butter (those go in once the dish is done). So Step 6 should read:

6. Add the chicken broth, lemon juice, mushrooms, artichoke hearts and chicken you browned to skillet. Lower heat to medium/low and cook for about 20 mins til sauce thickens. Add capers and butter at the end and stir.

Thanks DontTreadOnMe for pointing this out!

I don't know how I missed that with as many times I read it to make sure it was right. lol I passed out shortly after posting this lol guess I was tired.

So this is what step 6 should say in the bold above.
edit on 2/16/2013 by mblahnikluver because: grammar/spelling

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpaDe_
Oh that makes me even more hungry than I already am........looks absolutely delicious! Will have to give this a try next weekend.

Awesome! Let me know how it turns out.

P.S. Thanks for the wine sauce recipe it was fantastic! I know it was some time ago, but I never thanked you for it after making it.

edit on 2/15/2013 by SpaDe_ because: sp

No problem, you are quite welcome!! I am glad it turned out for you. I really enjoy hearing that people have used my recipes and how theirs turned out. It is why I share my recipes. I have always been into sharing recipes with others and getting people's personal recipes. One thing i like to collect when i go to thrift stores are cookbooks made by churches, schools or communities. The recipes in there are usually ones you won't find in a cookbook, they are people's personal family recipes. I have some pretty good ones now.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 10:22 PM
link   
I'll be trying this next week. Looks like it's right up my alley...

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

Another enticing recipe...thank you!

I am wondering have you written a cook book and/or are you in the process of writing one?

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by caladonea
reply to post by mblahnikluver

Another enticing recipe...thank you!

Thank you and you're welcome

I am wondering have you written a cook book and/or are you in the process of writing one?

I'm researching how to make a cookbook and I'm playing with recipes to add to the cookbook. It will take a while to complete I'm sure since I will have to cook everything again to get the proper measurements. I have also changed some recipes a little and would like to add those to the book.

I am making something tonight with chicken, artichokes, mushrooms and gnocchi in a lemon cream sauce
It's an experiment! If it works out I'm sure i'll be posting that recipe as well.

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Looks like something barfed onto a plate in an old folks home!

JK
lemon chicken and musroom? very interesting choice. Thyme would fit in there too)
Have you tried other coatings? Panko? parmesan>?
edit on 23-2-2013 by Leuan because: (no reason given)

Edit 2: Would pistachios go well on chicken as a crust? I'm hesitating to put this in the fryer lol
edit on 23-2-2013 by Leuan because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2014 @ 11:18 AM
link   
a reply to: mblahnikluver

I had company last night and made some piccata. Let's just say Liam loved it as did the company.

He ate this entire tray full!

posted on Aug, 16 2014 @ 11:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Leuan

Thyme would not go with it. I love thyme but not in this kind of dish. It's an Italian dish lol thyme I would be good if I were making a French chicken dish with a lemon Dijon sauce. Mmmmm. Now that sounds good!

No Panko or Parmesan. It's. It a thick coating and it would take away from the sauce. It's just a light flour coating used on this and that's all. I use Panko and Parmesan on my chicken Parmesan.

join