This is probably one of my favorite Italian dishes. I like anything that has chicken, lemon and mushrooms in a wine sauce! MMMMM!
It is usually made without the artichoke and mushrooms but I think it adds a little more flavor. I served it with Jasmine Rice and some fresh
asparagus that I wrapped in foil packets and drizzled extra virgin olive oil over and a couple slices (1 1/2 tbs in slices) of butter not margarine. I
then added some fresh lemon juice and baked at 375F for about 40mins.
I make my sauce thicker and I make more so I can have extra for left overs and to add to the rice, it's really tasty on rice!
Mblah's Chicken Piccata with Artichoke Hearts and Mushrooms
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts pounded to about a half an inch to 3/4 inch thickness.
3/4 cup flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1 tbs Italian seasoning
**I used a mixture of fresh basil and oregano and dried Rosemary, Thyme, Parsley and Dill. You can use any Italian blend you want, it doesn't have to
be fresh. I just had the ingredients and used them.
2 1/2 tbs extra virgin olive oil
3/4 cup white wine
1 3/4 cups chicken broth
1 1/2 teaspoon garlic, minced
1 onion, minced
2 1/4 tbs lemon juice
1 can artichoke hearts, chopped
3/4 cup of capers with the juice. One jar will usually work they are about 4 ounces.
2 tbs butter
1. Mix the flour, salt/pepper, Italian seasonings and garlic in a large bowl.
2. Heat a big 10 inch skillet about 2-3 inches deep with the 2 1/2 tbs extra virgin olive oil on medium heat.
2. Now take the chicken and toss in the flour mixture, fully coating chicken on each side.
3. Brown chicken coated chicken for about 2 mins on each side til brown, not cooked just browned then take out of pan and set aside.
4. In the pan you just browned the chicken in add the garlic and onion and cook til translucent, about 5mins. Add a little more EVOO if it gets too
dry. I usually just drizzle it over the onion/garlic mixture.
5. Add white wine. raise the heat to high and cook til reduced by half, about 5mins.
6. Return the chicken to the pan. Add the chicken broth, lemon juice, mushrooms and artichoke hearts. Lower heat to medium/low and cook for about
20mins til sauce thickens. Add capers and butter at the end and stir.
edit on 2/15/2013 by mblahnikluver because: fix headline color
edit on Sat Feb 16 2013 by DontTreadOnMe because: chicken added
to step 6.