It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Travelling the world without a passport, any tips?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 06:28 PM
link   
As some of you may know Ive been living in Malaysia for the past 4 years, I love the country, the food, the people, the women but unfortunately things have started feeling a bit stale.
I feel like Im just treading water and not actually going anywhere.

Im still reasonably young and not sure what I wanna do with my life, I know I should probably be looking at starting a family and a well established career going but I feel I need to embark on an epic adventure of some sort before I do.

Ive spent the past few days going over in my head things I could do, I thought backpacking around Europe, doing some sort of voluntary work in Africa or Sth America, It even crossed my mind to go back to school and maybe study medicine!!!!!

After much thought Ive decided over the next 12 months Im gonna try travel from Malaysia to England without a passport.
Its not just about making it to the UK, I plan on sticking around in each country I go through for at least a week and trying to find some sort of work so the money I spend in each country is made there.
Im going to take a drivers license, bank card and a backpack of clothes. Id love to take a tent and camping gear but figure it will be a pain in the butt to carry around and would make me stand out a bit too much.

Im gonna start my journey at the end of March and if all goes well I plan on handing myself into the Australian embassy in London in March next year.

So anyone got any tips? maybe a few preppers could give me a couple ideas on some light and compact survival gear that might come in handy?

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Avoid people with uniforms and badges.

Avoid border check points.

Try to blend in with the locals.

ETA: Don't bring a bible to the Middle East.
edit on 15-2-2013 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

LOL

All good advice, once passed the borders I think as long as I dont do anything dodgy I should be OK as far as cops etc go

Blending in could be difficult till I get to Europe as tall white guys tend to stand out in Asia

link   

Originally posted by IkNOwSTuff

After much thought Ive decided over the next 12 months Im gonna try travel from Malaysia to England without a passport.

Im gonna start my journey at the end of March and if all goes well I plan on handing myself into the Australian embassy in London in March next year.

Is it legal to travel without a passport? Is there a way to travel without a passport from country to country and still be within the laws of the land?

Why are you going to hand yourself over to the Australian embassy?

I wish I had some answers for you...but I don't; only questions. I have not traveled much myself; so I do not have much knowledge on the subject.

I wish and hope for you many blessings, good health and safety in all your travels.
edit on 15-2-2013 by caladonea because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-2-2013 by caladonea because: (no reason given)

link   
reply to post by IkNOwSTuff

Leave your passport with a trusted friend, easy to get in touch with, in case you get into some kind of trouble and need bailing out.

Des

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 06:45 PM
link   
reply to post by caladonea

Its pretty much illegal in every country to enter it as a foreigner without a passport but thats the appeal, Ill have to deal with the local equivalents of coyotes in every country and as long as I dont end up kidnapped or murdered it should make for an awesome journal and maybe even doco!!!!!

Still deciding if I wanna take a video cam, figure it would be great but I dont wanna make myself a target for thieves.

Ill hand myself over to the Embassy so I can get home without having to do it the dodgy way all the way back to Australia LOL

Your blessings are welcomed and appreciated

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 06:46 PM
link   
This sounds like a really bad idea, we are going to be reading about you being held in a third world prison because you got caught illegally entering their country.

Don`t go hiking along the Iran/Iraq border

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Destinyone

Leave your passport with a trusted friend, easy to get in touch with, in case you get into some kind of trouble and need bailing out.

Good advice and have already sorted that part.

Im leaving my passport and $10K Oz with an Ex GF (one I know I can trust,with money and a passport, wouldnt leave my pets with her though) for any emergencies that may pop up.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Stay Home...

You are asking to be locked up in a third world toilet.

Reconsider the rights you will lose.

Best of Luck...

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 06:53 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tardacus
This sounds like a really bad idea, we are going to be reading about you being held in a third world prison because you got caught illegally entering their country.

Don`t go hiking along the Iran/Iraq border

Some of the best things that have happened in my life have come about because of bad ideas (true that MOST of the bad things have been because of bad ideas too but I try to focus on the positive LOL)

Still not sure what route Im gonna take, would love to go through Pakistan and Afghanistan but thats probably too stupid even for me, heres a few ideas on my route

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Its pretty much illegal in every country to enter it as a foreigner without a passport but thats the appeal,

Ok...I just have to know; why does traveling without a passport appeal to you? Why do it?

Why not travel with a passport and be legal and safe?

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by whyamIhere
Stay Home...

Best of Luck...

Locked up for a day or 2 at most.
Worst case scenario is some light torture if anyone thinks Im a spy LOL

Cheers

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by tinhattribunal
world passport

Ive never heard of that before and Im guessing it would be about as helpful as being without a passport.

Its not just about travel, its about the experience of travelling without the passport thats the appealing part for me.
I dont know 1 person whos crossed a closed border without a PP let alone a dozen!!!!

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Im leaving my passport and $10K Oz with an Ex GF (one I know I can trust,with money and a passport, wouldnt leave my pets with her though)

Me thinks someone will be traveling legally while you sweat it out in some jail somewhere.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 07:17 PM
link   
What is with Aussies and traveling?

I can't tell you how many Aussies I ran into in Europe at hostels. Especially Amsterdam, you guys seem to all flock to the Netherlands!

Nice people though...I just never understood their wanderlust when their continent is so big as it is. Dude, go on a real walk-about in the outback! Tall white guy lost in the desert for a year or two...I'd read that book for sure!

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Well, when you do get caught I hope you won`t cry to your embassy to help you and waste embassy time and tax payer money.
if you choose to break the law in dozens of countries by entering illegally you shouldn`t expect the tax payers to foot the bill to help you out.

Good luck, I reckon i`ll be reading about you in thread here on ATS in the future

Australian held in communist prison charged with spying, execution scheduled for monday

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 07:20 PM
link   
China through Russia is obviously the easiest route but also the longest

The only other route even close to safe would be the one through the north of India into Kyrgyzstan & through Kazakhstan

Iran & Iraq are both bad ideas IMO - I guess they're on the table if you're an adrenaline junky or can come to terms with the fact that pure chance has your fate in it's hands & you could literally lose your head at any given moment (and of course you could say the whole idea in it's entirety is a bad idea regardless of the route but I'm sure you've heard that already)

Good luck to you regardless of the route and Godspeed

ETA: A prudent plan would be to also hide a stash of "buttering up" money somewhere on your person in case you get on the wrong side of the authorities & can find a "sympathetic" palm
edit on 15-2-2013 by coldkidc because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by whyamIhere
Stay Home...

Best of Luck...

Locked up for a day or 2 at most.
Worst case scenario is some light torture if anyone thinks Im a spy LOL

Cheers

No. Worst case scenario...you rotting away for year after year in some back country jail, for no logical reason you can think of....dying there...your friends and family left to wonder what happened to you...forever.

That is the worst case scenario...jmoho...

Des

edit on 15-2-2013 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by caladonea

Its pretty much illegal in every country to enter it as a foreigner without a passport but thats the appeal,

Ok...I just have to know; why does traveling without a passport appeal to you? Why do it?

Why not travel with a passport and be legal and safe?

I dont think having a passport makes you any safer in any physical sense, it makes it easier but not necessarily safer.

I guess its just something no one Ive ever heard of has done, I want to do something different, have a truly unique story and experience.
I think it will open my eyes to alot of things, meeting proper locals who live on tiny border towns, probably having to mix with people smugglers, may even be able to get some names of people involved in slave trafficking to give to authorities.
Its just something new, I crave new, interesting and stimulating experiences

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join