It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is Your Native American Totem?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Birth Moon: Strong Sun
Animal Totem: Woodpecker
Mineral Totem: Rose Quartz
Plant Totem: Wild Rose
Directional Totem: Coyote
Elemental Clan Totem: Frog
Affinity Color: Pink
Personality Traits: emotional, sensitive, sympathetic, protective, vulnerable, imaginative, loving, thrifty, kind, considerate

That is so cool. I had a family of woodpecker at my last house, and I've been missing them. Then today, just a couple of hours ago, the dogs both went nuts at the window. There was a woodpecker there.

I really like frogs too. I like to fall asleep in the spring/ summer to the sound of frogs.

Not to sure about pink, although I have a couple of chunks of rose quartz.

It seems to fit me quite well.

And yes, it's not first nations belief, it's just a fun thing.
I don't have any native blood in me, but my son is half west coast Salish.
He has a heritage to be proud of.
edit on 15-2-2013 by snowspirit because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlueMule
Mar 21 - Apr 19
Birth Moon: Budding Trees
Animal Totem: Falcon
Mineral Totem: Fire Opal
Plant Totem: Dandelion
Directional Totem: Golden Eagle
Elemental Clan Totem: Thunderbird
Affinity Color: Yellow

Personality Traits: energetic, independent, outspoken, enterprising, adventurous, frank, courageous, enthusiastic, imaginative

That's somewhat accurate.

Mine is the same as yours.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by hhcore

I like this signature XD.

Thruthseek3r

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Here are my results:

May 21 - Jun 20

Birth Moon: Corn Planting
Animal Totem: Deer
Mineral Totem: Moss Agate
Plant Totem: Yarrow
Elemental Clan Totem: Butterfly
Affinity Color: Green
Personality Traits: quick, alert, expressive, charming, curious, friendly, versatile, intuitive, compassionate, witty, understanding

Deer:

Deer people are fast-movers on every level. Not only do they move fast physically, but they also talk fast, think fast, and their emotions tend to change quickly. Due to all of their fast-moving, they are likely to often bound from one topic to another, from one idea to another, and from one project to another, many times failing to accomplish what they had set out to do.

They are resourceful, however, and have an eye for beauty, and so they are capable of making something beautiful out of something simple. Deer people often have a short attention span, as well as a tendency to interrupt conversations because their minds are always racing, a part of the conversation might set their thoughts off on a tangent, and then they will want to express those thoughts immediately, thereby not allowing the person who was speaking to finish what they were saying.

However, they are also intuitive and sensitive and are usually compassionate and understanding towards others. Deer people often have an uncontrollable wild side to them which can sometimes make it difficult for others to understand them and for them to even understand themselves. With all of their fast-moving and occasional wildness, Deer people are often unorganized and easily lose track of time.

This is not 100% true but some part of it are spot on, which means I can not deny. Very interesting OP, I thank you for this thread

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 10:19 PM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

Very cool thread! Definite
for you, smyleegrl.

Birth Moon: Freeze Up
Animal Totem: Snake
Mineral Totem: Copper & Malachite
Plant Totem: Thistle
Directional Totem: Grizzly Bear
Elemental Clan Totem: Frog
Affinity Color: Orange
Personality Traits: purposeful, determined, imaginative, intense, impulsive, mysterious, discerning, ambitious, clear, decisive

Not a "timid" description in the bunch

Didn't like "Snake" so much until I read the description which is pretty much spot on: Fortunately, I've gotten past the shedding of bad characteristics and have entered the phase of helping others, lol...

Snake:

Because of its ability to periodically shed its skin, the snake represents transformation, change, and renewal. And those born with Snake as their birth totem are inclined to shed their skins by way of making dramatic, and sometimes drastic, changes in their lives from time to time, letting go of their current ties and attachments, and starting again anew. They may make sudden decisions such as to quit their job, or change their occupation, or sell their house, or move to a new city, or totally reinvent themselves. Sometimes, however, they make these changes at inopportune times, thereby causing unnecessary upset and suffering to themselves as well as to others.

Change isn't necessarily always easy for Snake people, but they are adaptable to anything that is new to them. For Snake people, their lives are usually a lifelong transformation. They may start out making changes that are for purely selfish reasons.

However, as the Snake person goes through life, their selfish changes will usually eventually transform into more constructive changes which benefit not only themselves, but others as well. Snake people may also start out as insensitive and hurtful towards others, but then their ability to wound will usually turn into the ability to heal. Snake people can be especially helpful to those suffering from alcoholism or drug abuse.

edit on 2/15/2013 by timidgal because: Wrong OP cited.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by frayed1
reply to post by JohnnyCanuck

Don't be too quick to dismiss your background.....
Not to worry, I don't and I have a Bundesadler tat to prove it. But I did say I was going to be a bit of a poop.

Maybe I'm just thinking back to Dead Dog Cafe and "the Authentic Indian Name generator (featuring three wheels that could automatically create names like "Stewart Coffee Armadillo", or "Rosemarie Clever Tuna")" Dead Dog Cafe

On the other hand, I'm also not sure why we're busy practicing a near-east faith either...but there ya go.

"Stay Calm, Be Brave, Wait for the Signs".

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 11:11 PM
link   

"Stay Calm, Be Brave, Wait for the Signs".

Just like your avatar.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 11:33 PM
link   
These are eerily similar to zodiac signs. I'm a Gemini and my totem was almost identical to my zodiac sign.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 02:15 AM
link   
I greet you!
I am Hočąk (Winnebago) and from the Elk Clan. I grew up around non-natives all my life and those i went to school with always asked if they could have a name or be a member of my nation.
One day, my best friend asked me, do you like your whiteman name? Do you want to be a whiteman? I told him that i am very satisfied with who I am and do not wish to be you. I was raised to be respectful of other Nations ways and beliefs, and not make fun of others. I am this way because of my parents and no doubt theirs as well.
You are and will be as you were taught to be in this life. I am sorry that you feel the way you do against me and my people. Many other Nations feel this way towards us, a hate that creates cycles. Sure, its all in fun, then leads to yours making fun as well. I still instill respect in my children and hopefully my grandchildren will be the same as me, in my pitiful ways. I guess this Above Top Secret, condones people making fun of others ways and beliefs.
I posted the same on another thread, same goes for this thread.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 10:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Xaphan

Pretty much the same thing just different part of the world.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 11:23 AM
link   
My personal traits are pretty accurate except for patience. If I'm patient....I need more.

Birth Moon: Frogs Return
Animal Totem: Beaver
Mineral Totem: Chrysocolla
Plant Totem: Blue Camas
Elemental Clan Totem: Turtle
Affinity Color: Blue
Personality Traits: resourceful, conservative, creative, methodical, practical, persevering, reliable, patient, productive

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 07:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xaphan
These are eerily similar to zodiac signs. I'm a Gemini and my totem was almost identical to my zodiac sign.
i have a feeling these are zodiac signs, just in a different package.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Harvest Moon: Aug 22 - Sep 21 Aug 22 - Sep 21 Birth Moon: Harvest Animal Totem: Brown Bear Mineral Totem: Amethyst Plant Totem: Violet Directional Totem: Coyote Elemental Clan Totem: Turtle Affinity Color: Purple Personality Traits: industrious, unassuming, reasonable, hardworking, modest, warm-hearted, good natured, helpful, dependable Bear totem Bear Coyote totem Coyote Turtle totem Turtle Amethyst Amethyst Brown Bear: Brown Bears are independent and self-reliant, and so too are those whose birth totem is Brown Bear. These people are usually slow in acclimating themselves to change, and will often retreat to their dens for a time, where they can feel comfortable and secure within the familiar. Brown bear people are constructive and have a knack for fixing just about anything, from repairing a broken down car to mending a torn relationship. These people are usually quite gentle, like their totem animal, and handle their relationships with much tenderness and understanding. The Native peoples regarded the Brown Bear as a dreamer. People with this totem often love to daydream and have a vivid imagination. Sometimes they can get so wrapped up in their daydream that they become unable to distinguish it from their physical reality, which may cause others to think that they are liars. Amethyst: Amethyst is the mineral associated with the Harvest Moon. It is a strong protector stone and is said to guard one against everything from black magic, to hailstorms, to alcohol intoxication. It is also a very spiritual stone and can help one to find spiritual attunement, as well as helping to find balance between the spiritual and the physical. Amethyst is calming and soothing and can help one with finding the cause(s) of their anger and thereby enable them to release it. This stone is especially good for Brown Bear people as it helps to calm and clarify the dream state.

This is neat, I have never seen reference to a birth totem before. I thought it would be a little fun, but it is surprisingly accurate. I even have large amethyst clusters all around my home. Thanks for the link smylee!!

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by chachonee

I don't know exactly what to say to this.

No one has "made fun" of anything.

I personally am fascinated with native American culture, I like to learn about it and try to understand it better. If people being curious what their animal totems or native American names "might have been" is offensive to you...you are far-far too thin skinned. I think it is a positive sign. Ignorance is the biggest cause of fear and hate and social unrest...if people want to learn about another culture, there is nothing but good that can come from it.

Remove the ignorance, remove the barriers...it's that simple and it starts with tiny steps of curiosity.

Oversensitivity is also a problem in our "world" culture..."Mommy Government!...Dat bad man hurt my wittle feelwings...lets make laws to make da bad man hush"

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jeremiah65
Oversensitivity is also a problem in our "world" culture..."Mommy Government!...Dat bad man hurt my wittle feelwings...lets make laws to make da bad man hush"
Ok, I risk accusations of appropriation of voice with this, but here's my take on what's wrong with this kind of stuff. When the settlement process kicked in, the First Nations were removed from their traditional lands, or simply killed, outright. Their food sources were pointedly destroyed. Their children were taken away in order to assimilate them into white society. Their history has been re-written to suit the needs of the conqueror (common occurrence, of course). Their language and religion were often forbidden to them, so that in many ways, FN society is now rebuilding their culture from pretty close to scratch.

I'd say they have a right to take offence at the trivialisation of their culture. Fact is, I don't see the FN whimpering to the government as in the above model posted by Jeremiah65. I see a pretty large F-You! happening, evidenced by movements such as Idle No More.

It all comes back to respect.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 10:24 AM
link   
It wasn't my intention to insult or offend anyone with this thread. The fact that its obviously touched a nerve is distressing.

I meant no disrespect, and if you were offended, then I apologize.

smylee

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by smyleegrl
It wasn't my intention to insult or offend anyone with this thread. The fact that its obviously touched a nerve is distressing. I meant no disrespect, and if you were offended, then I apologize. smylee
Personally? To you? I see no disrespect, and if I am not mistaken, you cite some FN blood yourself, which I will readily acknowledge gives you more right to an opinion on this subject than I have.

The reason I chose to post something more resembling an admonition was that some don't get the bigger picture and want to reduce any concerns into a matter of Political Correctness. I don't believe in PC as a default position, but I do believe that if one wants to play around with stereotypes, then it behooves one to know the potential for crossing the line...in this thread and the one associated with it.

So...my apologies to you if you took offence. I'd say you get it. There are others here who obviously don't and that's who I'm talking to.
edit on 20-2-2013 by JohnnyCanuck because: ...just because, eh?

posted on Mar, 10 2013 @ 03:01 PM
link   
I'm half three fires (Ojibwe, Odawa, Potowatomi) from Wikwemikong Ontario, my actual doodem (Ojibwe word which totem is made from) is Deer, wawashkesh, that's my clan (totem as called in English by you :p) its where I get my username from, my spirit name is Anikoo Binesi which means Ancient Thunderbird. :p

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 03:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jeremiah65
reply to post by chachonee

I don't know exactly what to say to this.

No one has "made fun" of anything.

I personally am fascinated with native American culture, I like to learn about it and try to understand it better. If people being curious what their animal totems or native American names "might have been" is offensive to you...you are far-far too thin skinned. I think it is a positive sign. Ignorance is the biggest cause of fear and hate and social unrest...if people want to learn about another culture, there is nothing but good that can come from it.

Remove the ignorance, remove the barriers...it's that simple and it starts with tiny steps of curiosity.

I Greet You!
First of all, many non-native americans think we lost it all. Yes, we were killed for practicing our ways and beliefs, but many of our ancestors kept our ways a secret. when non-native americans come to our area's they brought their own ways and beliefs, hence the founding principal to freedom(s) But not our freedoms, we just got our freedoms(kind of) in the early 1990's
I looked at this site where other posters were getting their totems or animal signs, and very entertaining. My point, probably cause i am a native american and I do have my cultural intact as my beliefs which were handed down from many generations before me.
First of all, what native american asked any non-native american to learn bout our ways and languages? Do you not think that if we wanted others to know, we would of printed books and gave everyone the low down? If there are any native americans that tell the public about their own ways, it is from native americans that get their same information as the public.
Back in the day, for example a non-native american would come around native american communities and try to live with the savages and learn their ways and beliefs. why? Curiosity? Science? Now, if they come to a conclusion(these non-native americans) to how and why and what for, it was their own understanding not through the eyes or mind of a native american.
How do you think they obtained stories? They paid the native americans in alcohol and promises to make life a little better for them, but at that time them natives were way to gun shy, and knew that if others of their kind found out they spilled the beans, what do you think would happen to them? Death and not just them, but from the eldest to the un-born.
So, non-native americans had to wait, not long either, till them half-breeds that had non-native fathers and native mothers, them half breeds were outcasts, so, they may have been around their relatives for certain ceremonies and other public life amongst their native relatives, but what they were privy too, was very limited.
Furthermore, lets say i went to the country you come from, did your people like mine were done, do you think that you would tell me the whole truth? Probably not, ennit?
Even the mere notion of someone wanting to know, or wanting to be like us? Why? Are you not satisfied with your own ways and beliefs? what ever ways and beliefs you have, i can respect them for you, and even tell you that maybe they are nice ways and such. That does not make me want to throw my ways away and pick up yours.
I may sound like I am making this into something that really does not matter to you or anyone reading this post, we could say hateful things back and forth, create a cycle of hate, maybe go to war, i mean look at the world, wars were started over things such as this.
Now you want to say, "Hey! Whats the problem? we was just having a little fun(sure at your expense and others like you) "No one has "made fun" of anything." was what you said, ennit? How would you know? Are you a native american?
Lets say, you are. You could tell me your parents and grandparents and i could find out everything about you, thats how small our native american communities really are. If you are from our people, you could easily find out everything bout me, Me and mine are known in Canada, here and down South and I am not threatening nor am I bragging. Just pointing out how small of a speck we are compared to the others around us here.
Lets say, you really want to know and you just got to know! There is a way, but it requires respect.

Note: Today, you can find many things bout native americans, but these sacred rites and sacred names(hence the word sacred) and i am sorry to say, for us savages. Plus, I am not speaking for all Native Americans, just my clan and some of my tribe, whats left of us anyway. If you and the public really knew how life really is for me and mine, you would never want to be, like us.

edit on 11-3-2013 by chachonee because: (no reason given)

edit on 11-3-2013 by chachonee because: miss-spelled words and made a few adjustments here and there, to make my post read-able

edit on 11-3-2013 by chachonee because: again, i found a error.

edit on 11-3-2013 by chachonee because: dang, hopefully the last edit.

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 03:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by smyleegrl
It wasn't my intention to insult or offend anyone with this thread. The fact that its obviously touched a nerve is distressing.

I meant no disrespect, and if you were offended, then I apologize.

smylee

I Greet You!
For me, I made posts on your thread, to let you and others know, many of us native americans hold such things as very sacred, nothing to others but me and mine.
Its okay, for-get-bout-it and have a nice day.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join